AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 hours ago, woolf said:

Guys, is there any point in picking the net launcher for the sharks? seems to me harpoon is less swingy and better range so just better?

If you miss with 1 net launcher shot, you do 0 damage. If you miss with 1 harpoon shot, you still (can) do 2 damage. That, coupled with several units (BCR, Gotrek etc.) reducing the damage of abilities means there really is never a case you would take the net launcher. On paper they're the same, in practise the harpoon will be better in most cases.

I played a 1500 point game against Ironjawz.  I wanted to bring an Allopex to test out.  My list was:

Tidecaster (General)

Akhelian King

6 Morrsarr

3 Morrsarr

3 Ishlaen

10 Thralls

10 Thralls

10 Reavers

1 Allopex

At 100 points, I think that’s where they should be.  I sent the Allopex on their flanks, popped some shots on his unprotected War-chanter and was able to charge in and finish the job on Turn 2, and Turn 3 it was High Tide as soon Ardboys we’re dragged in finally, but due to bad positioning on his part the Shark survived and did a ton of work in Melee.  

I think they are our hero snipers, and work perfectly for harassing flanks.  At 100 points, it’s not going to make or break the game if you can tie up a unit or go for a hero by suiciding the shark.  

I was running Fuethan, so RR1’s to hit was clutch of course, and RR1’s on mount attack’s helps too.  

I have two more Allopexes from the Battleforce that I might paint up now.  I think they’re worth it now.  

Edited by Rhetoric
Typo

Hey guys, i finally got our novel the court of the blind king, and I am loving it so far. It’s a great look at Deepkin culture, even if it’s just a few lesser enclaves and Briomidar, but it is a lot of fun and despite the main character being a pompous ****** I am loving the heck out of his journey. It brings up some interesting thoughts and views into Deepkin culture, and I gotta say it’s almost a must read for our faction!

• Like 2

Just now, Rhetoric said:

If my units are affected by the Low Tide ability and I charge, do I lose the +1 to Save as I’m not in cover but treated as being in cover?

You dont get cover on the turn you charge.  Its the same as any other cover bonus, you always lose cover when you charge until the end of that turn.

Finished the book, and it was very fascinating seeing the authors interpretations of akhelian and enclave societies, as well as the journey of the hero.

Some thoughts to the book, however be aware for potential spoilers.

Spoiler

I always thought that a king was just a rank of office, like a general or a captain, and not a literal king. Kinda ruins my headcannon for my army when I have THE king of dohm-Hain getting munched on by a stonehorn or torn to shreds by goblins. I could get around that by calling him ‘raid leader’ or just a regular captain,  and with the general war gear and relic weaponry given descriptions in the book the king on tabletop feels super underpowered. but it is interesting to see a the main character’s  journey.

it is also very weird character Lurien makes in the book. He is quick to swoop to the rescue with people that he would be better off backstabbing at the beginning, but when he later on he seems to lose this. I do like the character, but I will say his actions are a bit strange sometimes, although I may need to read again as I was trying to read the book in a noisy Christmas party (darn loud kids! )

i overall did like the book, but I feel the ending could have been a little better? Feels a bit over the top, but again I may need to reread it without distractions.

I did just try using three sharks in za list and I have to say that it's really nice to have a unit with rend that doesn't rely on the charge to be good. Charged a unit of 3 into 5 bloodcrushers yesterday and even with horrendous rolls on the jaws and amazing save rolls on the crushers, they both tied up and ground down the unit of crushers quite well, and the extra shooting they have helped kill a slaughter priest and plink some wounds off of a demon prince, so in my list I think it was a very worth replacement for a squad of three eels. 

Will have to play with them more, but I think I am buying onr more shark to go with the one I got over Christmas! 

Edited by Acid_Nine
I didn't want to post three times in a row without anyone else's input.

Hello guys I’m new in Age of Sigmar and I would like to know if it is good to list 2 or more Leviadon with the eels in a single army. 
I came from my beloved Bretonnia and I decided to start a new army; in my community no one play Idoneth and in the whole codex I like leviadon and eels the most.

ps I’m really sorry for my poor english and I hope to improve little by little.

(hello from Italy :) )

Edited by Stefio

I wouldn't use two either, even if I like my own turtle well enough. it really needs the akhelian corps for those re-rolls to make the jaw a little more reliable on the wound roll. It munched through a half a squad of blood crushers in my second to last game when buffed by the Lord of Tides ability, and can do some really good damage, outside of that, but the effect on the game wouldn't be improved by having two. 

Still bounced off a squad of petrifax elite mortek guard, but what doesn't in our army? 

5 hours ago, woolf said:

Has anyone had success playing vs bonereapers so far?

I played two games against them and both where losses.  We just bounce off a whole lot off the petrifax elite Like I said, and they hit back super hard with the extra rend and exploding hits. I did play against one of the best Death players in the united states (via tournaments like adepticon) so it may have been an uphill battle from the start. The advice I got, was valuable.

basically, I was told to go all in on one flank with as much as you can on turn 2. Throw everything you got at them, sweep that side thanks to your extra movement, and then worry about the rest of the army. next time I play against petrifax I will try to do that, as I have a super bad habbit of being ultra agressive with my army and getting as many charges as I can off in turn 1 against as many opponents as I can. It is a bit difficult on deciding when to go all in and when to hold back though, but I just got to practice that.

I'm going to my first local tournament and I'm a little worried about my first attempt at building a list:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Enclave: Dhom-Hain
LEADERS
Isharann Tidecaster 
- Lore of the Deeps : Arcane Corrasion
Akhelian King 
- General
- Command Trait : Hunter of Souls
- Bladed Polearm
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
Isharann Soulscryer 
- Artefact : Cloud of Midnight
UNITS 
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (100) 
- Razorshell Harpoon
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (100) 
- Razorshell Harpoon
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170) 
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140) 
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140) 
10 x Namarti Thralls (130) 
BEHEMOTHS 
Akhelian Leviadon (310) 
BATTALIONS
Akhelian Corps (100)

I'm not sure if I should run 1 unit of thralls or switch them for reavers or another shark.  I don't have any more eels at the moment.

I would keep the thralls, they do a lot of work for their points so long as you put them up against the right targets.  They should tear through units with a 5+ save at 1 wound, or most monsters as well.  You just dont want them to get bogged down in a prolonged fight as they usually will drop pretty quick.

Great for holding objectives where they wont face a lot of firepower as well.

7 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

After using some Shadow Warriors as allies I see no real reason to ever take Reavers.  Yeah they can get more shots but SW are cheaper, more consistent at range and just as good in melee.

That’s the way I see it too. not only that but they have that important rend, and they can just show up on a teleport without needing a soul scryer to hit a hero or plink some wounds on a block of guys. Kinda sad when you think about the comparison.

But one is battleline and one isn't.  And while Thralls aren't horrible, they aren't amazing on their own either.  I don't usually use the Namarti Corps battalion, and I don't use my King as my general.  So if I have to take battleline, a mix between Thralls and Reavers works.

Also, I hate to say it, but my Deepkin army just got put on a shot clock.  Teclis' Pointy Aelves are coming, and while I enjoy the fish aelves, Tyrion (and I guess Teclis) are why I originally got into Warhammer!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 1

Hi all, 

I’m going to be trying out my version of the Namarti Corps build for a one day tournament coming up soon.  Can I get some feedback on my list? 

Enclave: Fuethan

1980/2000 Points

6 Drops

100 - Tidecaster

Born from Agony/Arcane Corrasion

130 - Soulscryer 

Midnight Orb

80 - Soulrender

Liandra’s Last Lament

130 - (10) Thralls

130 - (10) Thralls

130 - (10) Reavers

130 - (10) Reavers

510 - (9) Morrsarr

340 - (6) Morrsarr

140 - (3) Ishlaen

100 - Namarti Corps

50 - Extra CP

10 - Malevolent Maelstrom

• Like 1

Triumphs will not be used for this event actually.  My only debate is whether to go with the Ishlaen or not.  I feel like I can’t play without them, but everywhere I look says to use Morrsarr instead.

There’s nothing like screening your army with Ishlaen on T1 with Mystic Shield!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Triumphs will not be used for this event actually.  My only debate is whether to go with the Ishlaen or not.  I feel like I can’t play without them, but everywhere I look says to use Morrsarr instead.

There’s nothing like screening your army with Ishlaen on T1 with Mystic Shield!

While I found 2 squads to be the magic number of ishlaen, one should do fine. Don’t forget the re-roll 1’s command ability for combat phase stuff! (unless you’re not playing with that too ;) ) 

Hi fellow fish people. I am considering getting into the IDK (though it’ll depend on how the Hysh Elves turn out) and wanted to see if this list I came up with looks at all viable. Not looking for tournament standards by any means, but would like it to be at least competent.

Dhom-hain 

LEADERS

- Akhelian King (General) w/ Trait: Hunter of Souls, and Artefact: Armour of the Cythai. Also armed with the spear.

- Eidolon, Aspect of the Storm w/ Artefact: Terrornight Venom

- Soulrender

BATTLELINE

- 10x Thralls

- 10x Thralls

- 6x Morrsarr Guard

BEHEMOTHS

- Leviadon 

OTHER

- 10x Reavers

- 10x Reavers

BATTALIONS