AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Pressure from the deep is a fantastic spell, situational, but can really break a unit if they deploy badly.  Very nice threat against eels or other high wound models.  

Feel free to scare your opponent about it even if it’s low probably, exactly the same as Arkhan the blacks spell, curse of years, control the board with fear.

My box came in the mail today! Been reading the army book (ther lore for these guys is really neat) but I have one rule question. I notice that the different enclaves have small bonus rules attached to them, but no points value for them listed in the back of the book. So do I just get one of these bonuses applied to my army for free, I just need to announce it at the start of play? 

48 minutes ago, Cyberspidermancer said:

My box came in the mail today! Been reading the army book (ther lore for these guys is really neat) but I have one rule question. I notice that the different enclaves have small bonus rules attached to them, but no points value for them listed in the back of the book. So do I just get one of these bonuses applied to my army for free, I just need to announce it at the start of play? 

Yep, it is free of points.

5 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Yes but also note a couple of the Enclaves  do require certain things to run them. Morphann Tidecasters can only know the Freezing Mists spell instead of any of the other spells from the Lore of Magic. 

That's fine. But with my collectors box I can run the one that makes my soul render extra effective. That's cool. 

27 minutes ago, Zaffersimo said:

Is it worth the double Eidolon?

I am new to AoS and at the moment  i do like a lot both of the lore (and models) of the Idoneth and Gloomspite... Just i do not know how I should pick the army... Any suggestion?

So depends what you are looking to get out of it. Looking for an easy competitive list go akhelian, mostly eels. Looking for fun, narrative, or meta breaking go namarti. Ive ran a double eidolon, namarti corps list and while a blast to play i think i won 2 out of 10 games. However switched to an 18 eel list, turtle, eidolon, and akhelian king list and haven't lost yet in my local group. Granted i only started the list i am 5 for 5 against nighthaunt, new flesh eaters, and stormcast. So just depends what you are looking for and play style.

• Like 2

Thank you for your opinion, in general I do like the cavalry/shooting armies,and I am not really keen on painting lots of models :ph34r:

I wish just find a bit of a balance between fun&half competitive list.

From a simple kitbashing/conversion PoW which kit suits better with the Idoneth? I wish theme the army from Chamon 😃

9 minutes ago, Killamike said:

I did this a while ago but figured I'd put it up. My archmage on dragon, I whip him out for a bit of casual play. 

Kinda spewing i didn't put him on a smaller base and made him a king. 

20181222_132045.jpg

Dang, is that a merwyrm? that's awesome, and I had a similar idea with a hermit crab toy that turned out way too big. How tall / wide is that model?

this also makes me wish we had a model to represent an embailor, too.

Hi,
I playing Deepkin now for arround 2 Month’s with normaly one match per week.
Often against lizardmen, stormcasts, night haunts and legions of nagahs. (and this weekend first time ironjaws)
It’s going really well. I’ve won more than I lost, and we had a lot of fun. But now I’ve got a question:

My buddy plays seraphon/lizardmen with a summoning list around a slan, machine of the gods, skinkspam, ratodaktylus, bastiladon, icon bearer and so on…
he is a really good player and shields his slan and the machine perfectly with his skinks. And of course he summon a lot of stuff. In round one and two I had to kill around 40 to 60 skinks and 3 units of the riders, to have the chance to charge him in turn 3 and break him. That’s ****** 6 up to 9 units with 67 to 87 wounds in total… All as MSU and that before I get my boosts with the tides and the attacklines from my commandpoints…
with lower points (like 1250 oder 1500) it worked well for me. on that lower points I usaly win in my turn 3 or 4. With more points he has so many more skinks and stuff that it isn’t really working out, anymore. what are you doing against lists and playstyles like that?

we play with optimized but no tournament list, and only stuff that would work as army in the background. And on the other point I’m not planning to spend nearly 400€ more into more riders. :D
maximum are 6 morrsarr and 6 ishaen's.

And anyone with experience against Ironjawz?

@killamike: nice idear. I will steal this for building up a shark for ^^ 

On 3/19/2019 at 6:03 AM, Ritschi said:

Hi,
I playing Deepkin now for arround 2 Month’s with normaly one match per week.
Often against lizardmen, stormcasts, night haunts and legions of nagahs. (and this weekend first time ironjaws)
It’s going really well. I’ve won more than I lost, and we had a lot of fun. But now I’ve got a question:

My buddy plays seraphon/lizardmen with a summoning list around a slan, machine of the gods, skinkspam, ratodaktylus, bastiladon, icon bearer and so on…
he is a really good player and shields his slan and the machine perfectly with his skinks. And of course he summon a lot of stuff. In round one and two I had to kill around 40 to 60 skinks and 3 units of the riders, to have the chance to charge him in turn 3 and break him. That’s ****** 6 up to 9 units with 67 to 87 wounds in total… All as MSU and that before I get my boosts with the tides and the attacklines from my commandpoints…
with lower points (like 1250 oder 1500) it worked well for me. on that lower points I usaly win in my turn 3 or 4. With more points he has so many more skinks and stuff that it isn’t really working out, anymore. what are you doing against lists and playstyles like that?

we play with optimized but no tournament list, and only stuff that would work as army in the background. And on the other point I’m not planning to spend nearly 400€ more into more riders. :D
maximum are 6 morrsarr and 6 ishaen's.

And anyone with experience against Ironjawz?

@killamike: nice idear. I will steal this for building up a shark for ^^ 

got the list you are using? could be something as simple as adding a scryer or something!

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

got the list you are using? could be something as simple as adding a scryer or something!

I'm using a scryer... He shield his troops that good, that he can protect his slann and engine of gods perfectly. Even with scryer. 

I've got the idear to break his skink shield with troops of thralls and using the opening. Point here is, that he can fill up automaticly with skink units. He give up his 3 slann spells and get his sommon points for that. I only prevent, that he is summoning a carnosaurus in turn 3...

My List:

King, abyssal Blade, unstoppable fury, general

Tidecaster, gryph amulette * artifact2 option1

Soulscryer, "not shoot me artifact" artifact2 option2

3x morrsarr guard

3x ishaen guard

2x1 allopexe

1x thralls

1xreavers

1 Leviadon

Akhelian corpse batallion

Spellportals

I also have an soulrender and will add 1 start collecting box and 10 more reavers. 

Why no high King? I have one but we play special charakters only if we have them on both sides. 

3 hours ago, Ritschi said:

I'm using a scryer... He shield his troops that good, that he can protect his slann and engine of gods perfectly. Even with scryer. 

I've got the idear to break his skink shield with troops of thralls and using the opening. Point here is, that he can fill up automaticly with skink units. He give up his 3 slann spells and get his sommon points for that. I only prevent, that he is summoning a carnosaurus in turn 3...

My List:

King, abyssal Blade, unstoppable fury, general

Tidecaster, gryph amulette * artifact2 option1

Soulscryer, "not shoot me artifact" artifact2 option2

3x morrsarr guard

3x ishaen guard

2x1 allopexe

1x thralls

1xreavers

1 Leviadon

Akhelian corpse batallion

Spellportals

I also have an soulrender and will add 1 start collecting box and 10 more reavers. 

Why no high King? I have one but we play special charakters only if we have them on both sides. 

You just need to jump his skink screen with eels.  If there is enough space behind the skinks put the +3 charge on them from the scryer to get enough charge to go over them.  If there isnt enough space then just hitting the skinks should get you in the range for eel shocks and spear/tail attacks.

Although if he is running anything competitive you're probably just going to struggle in general with your list, the shark and turtle are basically 520 points of dead weight at the moment. :(

Has anyone had any success with a Nautilar list running Ishlaen?   You have 3+ unrendable save on your charge and a 4+ unrendable save with rerolling failed hit rolls if they charge.    It lacks hitting power but could last better into turn 3 for a Volturnos smack back (supported with units of Thralls for rend? Or even sharks?).  I am also considering avoiding the spell tax by taking the aspect of the sea who also heals, buffs bravery (more defendy!) and debuffs enemy hits (even more defendy!).  

Overall this could be the best anvil the Idoneth book could deliver and would be an unexpected shift...

Edited by Aelven supremacy

So I’m looking at the FAQ’s and it says that both high tide and the gristlegore models fight at the start of the combat phase, but earlier people were saying gristlegore goes first. Is this a recent change? Because right now it looks like whoever has the player turn goes first

2 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

The FAQ got updated today, so now whoever has the turn goes first.  Great change for us vs Gristlegore.

sweet, we now have a chance against them. Great! this is awesome news, and gives us a chance for more strategy!

but now our zap-attacks will no longer go before this, which kinda sucks, but it's still fairly good overall, so I'm really happy about this change.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:38 PM, Drofnum said:

You just need to jump his skink screen with eels.  If there is enough space behind the skinks put the +3 charge on them from the scryer to get enough charge to go over them.  If there isnt enough space then just hitting the skinks should get you in the range for eel shocks and spear/tail attacks.

Although if he is running anything competitive you're probably just going to struggle in general with your list, the shark and turtle are basically 520 points of dead weight at the moment. :(

The problem with the skinkscreen is, like I said before, that he is playing them nearly perfectly. It’s impossible to get over it.

I had to stop my normal movement 3,000000001” before first skinks, the skinks are in minimum 7, normaly 9 inch deep. And every skink had to stay in 1” to the next (unit movement rules). My base are much bigger. So its technically impossible to get directly in the screen (okay you can get in the little bigger spaces between 2 units).

behind the screen there a first one bastilladon, than the machine of gods, and than the standard bearer. If you are threw all of them, the slann is the last one. He stands normally in the corner edge, so that he is totally in 9” to every point of the edge. That’s why the scryer isn’t a solution.

one way maybe is, to get over the flank edge of the table with one unit of morrsarr and try to jump with the +3 (or better 2,5”) assaultmove, to get with a 11+bonus over the screen, and charge than the machine of the gods in the back.

but I can’t get boosts from the king in that turn for them…
I give you pictures of his line tomorrow. than you see the problem...

oh and 520 dead points are totally wrong. Frist no if you are able to play them the leviadon and the allopexes are not that bad. They are slightly overpriced. the turtle is around 40, and the allopexes around 20 points over… so I waste 80 points :D

he play’s not a bad list, but its not hard competitive or tournament level. And my list works against every other list and army I fought unitl now. even against his list on lower points. Its only the 2k-summoning list of the seraphon I’ve got a problem until now. (and I think mortal wounds lists, are a hard match up, too) 

The point is, his list is a counter on offensive deepkin in general. You have the same problem even with a nova list. So wow.

@errata: oh nice. that chances something. special against flesh eaters. ^^ 

7 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

sweet, we now have a chance against them. Great! this is awesome news, and gives us a chance for more strategy!

but now our zap-attacks will no longer go before this, which kinda sucks, but it's still fairly good overall, so I'm really happy about this change.

Incorrect. Start of the phase doesn’t require alternating. So if it’s our turn, we can zap and hit the gristlegore general with 4 units if we do choose since it’s all simultaneous, assuming high tide of course

Edited by Luke1705
  • Like 1