AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 hours ago, Drofnum said:

If you mean he held the objective then moved away and burned it later, yes that is okay.  In most scenarios you hold objectives until they are taken from you, even if you move away from them.

That is generally what I tend to do, with our high movement I can usually intercept anything trying to get to my back objectives.  If they have deep striking or teleporting then I will keep a small force on the objectives, usually a unit of 10 Thralls or 3 Ishlaen to contest it until I can reinforce. The objective game is definitely our weakness, you basically just need to keep from falling too far behind while you kill their army, once you have wiped a good portion of their army is when i move to capture objectives I dont already hold.  It also helps if you can force fights on top of objectives in their territory or neutral territory rather then in yours.

Oh, I know that it can be done, I just find it funny that the ogors were packing c4 onto the objective when they held them!

i also need to remember that unlike 40k you don't have to stay on an objective, and you can run away. I could have advanced with my Alopex for example, but I had him on the objective thinking I needed to hold that.

honestly I think I need to focus on objectives more in my games, and that helps out a ton hearing examples. I think I just need to play more games to be honest, as I only really had 4 games with my current list so far...

I also have the problem of playing way too candid if I'm going first, not knowing how to advance without having my speels becoming open targets to get charged  by the enemy...

Edited by Acid_Nine

8 hours ago, Drofnum said:

The objective game is definitely our weakness,

This is definitly true. Fighting for even unit we can push thier model count low enough that we can pull ahead. 

We do have some good mobility that forces out opponent to stay honest with thier objectives

• Like 1

A question on Eels.  If you, for argument's sake were taking 6 of them in your army, would you prefer a 3/3 split of Morsaar and Ishlaen or would you take 6 of one or the other? Also, if you were taking 6 of one, which would you think would give the best performance? 

For extra info, this is what I was looking at, basically the battleforce box with some extras. I also have 240 spare points and wondering if more troops are the order of the day or take a King? 

+ Leader +

Eidolon: Aspect of the Storm 

Isharann Soulscryer 

Isharann Tidecaster : General - Isharann

+ Battleline +

Namarti Reavers : 10 Namarti Reavers, Icon Bearer

Namarti Reavers : 10 Namarti Reavers, Icon Bearer

Namarti Thralls : 2x 10 Namarti Thralls, Icon Bearer

+ Other +

Akhelian Allopexes : Akhelian Allopex, Retarius Net Launcher

Akhelian Allopexes : Akhelian Allopex, Razorshell Harpoon Launcher

Akhelian Morrsarr Guard : 2x 3 Morrsarr Guard, Akhelian Guard Command Group

Hi.

Can someone clarify the lurelight ability for the Soulrender?

It states "your battleshock phase", but isn't the battleshock phase applicable to both players each turn? Does he revive namarti models only during my turn, or during both player turns, whenever I have to test for battleshock? If it's the former, shouldn't it say: "During your turn, after testing for battleshock, roll D3...bla bla"?

4 hours ago, Columind said:

Hi.

Can someone clarify the lurelight ability for the Soulrender?

It states "your battleshock phase", but isn't the battleshock phase applicable to both players each turn? Does he revive namarti models only during my turn, or during both player turns, whenever I have to test for battleshock? If it's the former, shouldn't it say: "During your turn, after testing for battleshock, roll D3...bla bla"?

Hmmm no idea now that you bring it up. I'd air on the side of you only get your battle shock phase as being as part of your  turn.

Throw it in questions and see with the rest of TGA has to say on the matter. 

7 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Hmmm no idea now that you bring it up. I'd air on the side of you only get your battle shock phase as being as part of your  turn.

Throw it in questions and see with the rest of TGA has to say on the matter. 

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I understand the confusion but your battleshock phase is in your turn. Your opponent can take battleshock during your battleshock phase but it’s still your phase. If they wanted the ability to proc every battleshock phase, they would say “do this during THE battleshock phase”

On 1/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, DantePQ said:

I know that James Tinsdale has amazing results and more consistent then any other Deepkin player but I only brought up Les to show that you can have good results without Thralls. And it's good that there are different lists 

And good luck with your lists at Heat 1.

maybe we will meet at battlefield as I am taking my Daughters of Khaine to Heat 1 

I did consider 30 eels and a King for heat 1.  Maybe I will bring it! Hard to leave my thralls at home though...

See you at heat 1!

JT

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carrion King said:

I did consider 30 eels and a King for heat 1.  Maybe I will bring it! Hard to leave my thralls at home though...

See you at heat 1!

JT

Go for it :D 

I'am probably taking almost all-Snake DoK army (Morathi, Bloodwrack Shrine, 2x20 Blood Sisters) ;)  and it also remains to be seen. Maybe we will play against each other. See you !  

• LOVE IT! 1

Hey everyone! So I'm working on a new list to try out this week. But I'm torn on what artifact to give my Eidolon of the sea.  He is going to be running with the turtle so he will (hopefully) keep cover. But I'm looking at either an artifact to make him -1 to hit. The artifact that lets him reroll save rolls of 1 on random damage attacks, or the black pearl ignoring wounds or mortal wounds on a 6. Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Akhelian-Snail said:

Hey everyone! So I'm working on a new list to try out this week. But I'm torn on what artifact to give my Eidolon of the sea.  He is going to be running with the turtle so he will (hopefully) keep cover. But I'm looking at either an artifact to make him -1 to hit. The artifact that lets him reroll save rolls of 1 on random damage attacks, or the black pearl ignoring wounds or mortal wounds on a 6. Any thoughts?

Out of those options and without knowing your list the -1 to hit would probably be best in the most situations.

• Like 1

So here is my list, the plan is take the eidolon, tide caster, and thralls with the soulscryer. Keep the eels and turtle with volturnos. 

Turn 1 drop in my soulscryer and company either on backline or next to a back objective. Akelian unit moving up to mid board and capturing objectives.

Turn 2 onward. Tidecaster cast the balewind vortex and abyssal darkness,  eidolon casting cloying sea mist, tsunami of terror, or vorpal maelstrom. Send the morsarr guard against any big heavy thing that worries me, put the ishlaeen into keeping other heros busy. Thralls defending the tidecaster and soulacryer while they pray to keep the eidolon fighting and sending the eidolon to fight the backline. Keeping him within 15" of the tidecaster to keep cover. King staying within 12" of turtle.

crushing wave.pdf

On 1/28/2019 at 3:49 PM, Akhelian-Snail said:

So here is my list, the plan is take the eidolon, tide caster, and thralls with the soulscryer. Keep the eels and turtle with volturnos. 

Turn 1 drop in my soulscryer and company either on backline or next to a back objective. Akelian unit moving up to mid board and capturing objectives.

Turn 2 onward. Tidecaster cast the balewind vortex and abyssal darkness,  eidolon casting cloying sea mist, tsunami of terror, or vorpal maelstrom. Send the morsarr guard against any big heavy thing that worries me, put the ishlaeen into keeping other heros busy. Thralls defending the tidecaster and soulacryer while they pray to keep the eidolon fighting and sending the eidolon to fight the backline. Keeping him within 15" of the tidecaster to keep cover. King staying within 12" of turtle.

crushing wave.pdf

My only concern here is you have only one hard hitting unit. And that unit of 6 Morrsar will die easy to any MW generator.  I've always wanted to try to get a Leviadon and Aspect into one list but until you go beyond 2k I just don't see it being competitive.  Especially since the Morrsar benefit from the charge but the Leviadon's cover save is completely negated whenever the Morrsar do charge. 

11 hours ago, Keggers said:

My only concern here is you have only one hard hitting unit. And that unit of 6 Morrsar will die easy to any MW generator.  I've always wanted to try to get a Leviadon and Aspect into one list but until you go beyond 2k I just don't see it being competitive.  Especially since the Morrsar benefit from the charge but the Leviadon's cover save is completely negated whenever the Morrsar do charge. 

honestly I still think the leviadon cover save is for the turn after we charge, or during the opponent's turn retalliation. you may not get cover on the charge, but the turn when any stragglers are left alive / any counter charges happen, you're going to want that extra armor save so they can swim away and hit again. at least, that's my thought when it happens to me...

• Like 1

Yea i agree with the comments so far my biggest hope and goal for this army is to either give my opponent either too many big guys to go swing at ben volturnos, eels, leviadon, or mathlann.  Or to give them enough debuffs with cover from two sources, and -1s to hit that they either over commit or turtle up and let my eels claim objectives. 

Hi, with the thread dead I may as well spam with another list which, in retrospective, is quite similar to Akhelian Snail's 😂

However, mine is a bit unorthodox as I will go Briomdar and put the Reavers, chunky Thrall block and Aspect of the Sea in the enemy's face. Tsunami of Terror + Tide of Fear to ruin someone's day. Not-optimal but I want something to spice us up (beside the tried and tested Reverse Fuethan).

Only problem I have? It's 2040 points, and I don't know where to make the cut. Basically everything is untouchable but the Ishlaen and Morrsar. Either I remove the 3 Ishlaen and split the Morrsar in two 3 strong units (100 spare points) or remove 3 Morrsar (120 spare points). I know I don't give you much choice 😆 which one seems less weak?

I know something similar could be done with Steed of Tides and a different Enclave, but I would lose a spell. Plus, this gives me flexibility in case I decide to ambush other units depending on the opponent.

Without further addo, the list:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Briomdar

Leaders
Isharann Soulscryer (100)
Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Trait: Born From Agony 
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight 
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Sea (440)
- Lore of the Deeps: Tide of Fear

Battleline
20 x Namarti Thralls (280)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

Units
10 x Namarti Reavers (140)

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Total: 2040 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

• LOVE IT! 1

Greetings!

I started playing with the idea of making a Deepkin army. My local meta usuall plays 1250 points, and i would like to know if this list is viable. Model looks and variety to me are more important than winning but i would like to know if this list would work out. I really hate the Namarti looks so i plan on completly avoiding it.

General - Akhelian King

2 x 3 Morsarr Guard

2 x 3 Ishalen Guard

1 x Leviadon

Total 1220 pts.

Also i would like advice on Enclave and Artifact.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Hi, with the thread dead I may as well spam with another list which, in retrospective, is quite similar to Akhelian Snail's 😂

However, mine is a bit unorthodox as I will go Briomdar and put the Reavers, chunky Thrall block and Aspect of the Sea in the enemy's face. Tsunami of Terror + Tide of Fear to ruin someone's day. Not-optimal but I want something to spice us up (beside the tried and tested Reverse Fuethan).

Only problem I have? It's 2040 points, and I don't know where to make the cut. Basically everything is untouchable but the Ishlaen and Morrsar. Either I remove the 3 Ishlaen and split the Morrsar in two 3 strong units (100 spare points) or remove 3 Morrsar (120 spare points). I know I don't give you much choice 😆 which one seems less weak?

I know something similar could be done with Steed of Tides and a different Enclave, but I would lose a spell. Plus, this gives me flexibility in case I decide to ambush other units depending on the opponent.

Leaders
Akhelian King (240)
- General

Battleline

Units

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

I think maybe get rid of the ishlaen guard and split up the thralls into two squads? spitballing here for it, but maybe you can get some allies to replace the ishlean, like maybe some of those daughters of khaine snaeks?

11 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Leaders
Akhelian King (240)
- General

Battleline

Units

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

I like the list, i'm planning on running mine once my morrsarr eels come in. I'll share my experience and thoughts on it. My one thought is I'm just not sure on reavers, my local group plays flesh eaters, stormcast, another idoneth,  and nighthaunt. So far the only time I've seen reavers shine was the other idoneth player vs.  Me. And it was reavers on reavers. 

11 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Greetings!

I started playing with the idea of making a Deepkin army. My local meta usuall plays 1250 points, and i would like to know if this list is viable. Model looks and variety to me are more important than winning but i would like to know if this list would work out. I really hate the Namarti looks so i plan on completly avoiding it.

General - Akhelian King

2 x 3 Morsarr Guard

2 x 3 Ishalen Guard

1 x Leviadon

Total 1220 pts.

Also i would like advice on Enclave and Artifact.

Thanks!

Welcome to the sea floor! I like both lists. I think you will have fun with either group. Personally I'd go eidolon if i had to choose between turtle or eidolon.  Mostly because the lore can give you a spell to give cover. But the eidolon is also more flexible,  and volturnos cant have artifacts so the eidolon can get the one. As far as enclaves and artifacts go for an akelian list is recommend feuthan. Turn 2 and 4 run and charge, and everyone rerolls ones to hit. Mounts always reroll ones to wound. Then artifact is up in the air, depends how you play, ive found more use it off the gryph-feather charm out of ghur, -1 to hit bearer and +1 to movement.