AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

artifact for the storm could be the ignax's scales, giving him a 4+ ward, making him more durable to attacks? or you could give him something like the etheral amulet, which lets him ignore rend?

spells could be steed of tides to throw him into combat, or maybe vorpal malestrom in order to throw out easyish mortal wounds?

Thanks for the suggestions, they are very interesting. I have a second artifact, so I could go with a spell-enhancing one for the Tidecaster. We have some decent ones.

5 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

artifact for the storm could be the ignax's scales, giving him a 4+ ward, making him more durable to attacks? or you could give him something like the etheral amulet, which lets him ignore rend?

spells could be steed of tides to throw him into combat, or maybe vorpal malestrom in order to throw out easyish mortal wounds?

I've been through the book and I can't find either of these artifact's listed. What page are they on?

1 hour ago, Arael said:

They are realm artefact from Malign Portents 

Yeah, I don't love to use them over the ones in the battletomes (some are way better), but one must take them into account for competitive lists.

PD. Could you give me the measurements for the two halves of the Gloomtide Shipwreck? I want to build an alternative (water springs for my Desert Nomad Deepkin) and I want them to be as close as possible to avoid complaints.

4 hours ago, Arael said:

They are realm artefact from Malign Portents 

Thank you. I must of read all of the Deepkin ones at least 5 times, before I asked. Didn't want to ask a stupid question. Lol!

The part I keep puzzling over is whether to build an aspect of the storm or the sea. I really can't decide. Can someone please tell me what are the best points of either. I plan on running Volturnos and some eels. So the Storm would be good with the extra attacks. However is missing out on the sea who looks not much worse in combat with its healing spell and casting 2 spells too good to give up?

Edited by Snitchey
Added question

17 minutes ago, Snitchey said:

Thank you. I must of read all of the Deepkin ones at least 5 times, before I asked. Didn't want to ask a stupid question. Lol!

whoops, just got the book and I was so excited I forgot to post where those things are. my bad 😐

but, yea there are tons of artifacts that are good if not better than some of our book ones. I really wish that the +1 to hit and wound was a core book one, or at least the relm my enclave is supposed to be from, but I am still happy to use it to make my king better.

46 minutes ago, Snitchey said:

The part I keep puzzling over is whether to build an aspect of the storm or the sea. I really can't decide. Can someone please tell me what are the best points of either. I plan on running Volturnos and some eels. So the Storm would be good with the extra attacks. However is missing out on the sea who looks not much worse in combat with its healing spell and casting 2 spells too good to give up?

If you calculate the average damage from both units, the Aspect of the Sea has almost half the output. That's far from "not much worse in combat".

25 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

If you calculate the average damage from both units, the Aspect of the Sea has almost half the output. That's far from "not much worse in combat".

Fair enough I hadn't done the maths just looked at the profiles.

In your opinion do the buffs the sea provides out weigh this given the sea is 40pts more?

6 minutes ago, Snitchey said:

Fair enough I hadn't done the maths just looked at the profiles.

In your opinion do the buffs the sea provides out weigh this given the sea is 40pts more?

The bravery buff and two good spells are really valuable. But you must build an army around it to take advantage of them IMHO.

General opinion is AotStorm is better for offensive eel armies and AotSea is better for defensive Namarti armies (or that's how I understood it).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

The bravery buff and two good spells are really valuable. But you must build an army around it to take advantage of them IMHO.

General opinion is AotStorm is better for offensive eel armies and AotSea is better for defensive Namarti armies (or that's how I understood it).

Thank you. I plan on running at least 9 eels + Volturnos so the storm sounds like a better fit for me. I don't have malign sorcery (yet). What artifact would you put on the storm from the battletomb?

6 minutes ago, Snitchey said:

Thank you. I plan on running at least 9 eels + Volturnos so the storm sounds like a better fit for me. I don't have malign sorcery (yet). What artifact would you put on the storm from the battletomb?

I asked that question myself 😂 so...

Greetings Elgi!

My brother and I are playing in a 1000 point doubles tournament in a couple of months. He plays Idoneth and I use Dispossessed. Thought I'd ask here as he does not have an account what you guys think about potential lists. What would your standard 1000 point lists look like and would you make any changes for playing with a partner?

We are both very flexible in what we can bring, so this is not an issue. I was thinking his eels etc would make it easy to get into melee, meaning I can bring some ranged stuff and offer lots of fire support.

Any thoughts and discussion are much appreciated! 

3 hours ago, Grim Grudgebearer said:

Greetings Elgi!

My brother and I are playing in a 1000 point doubles tournament in a couple of months. He plays Idoneth and I use Dispossessed. Thought I'd ask here as he does not have an account what you guys think about potential lists. What would your standard 1000 point lists look like and would you make any changes for playing with a partner?

We are both very flexible in what we can bring, so this is not an issue. I was thinking his eels etc would make it easy to get into melee, meaning I can bring some ranged stuff and offer lots of fire support.

Any thoughts and discussion are much appreciated! 

hey! My standard eel list is this:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin - Mortal Realm: Ghyran
 - Enclave: Dhom-Hain
LEADERS
Akhelian King (240) - General - Command Trait : Born From Agony  - Artefact :  Ghyrstrike 
Isharann Tidecaster (100) - Lore of the Deeps : Abyssal Darkness
UNITS
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Umbral Spellportal (60)

mix and match endless spells as you want them, and maybe switch allopexes out with more ishlaen. So far it's even on wins and losses, and I lost those games based off of simple mistakes that if I would have noticed I would have won, such as going after one unit instead of another threatening my objective or putting my morrsarr too far forward.

if I'm taking a doubles list, I don't know what I would change. if my partner brought more chaff and screeners than I would probably bring two squads of eels for more punch, but otherwise it would remain the same.

Edited by Acid_Nine
partner, not opponent

28 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

if my opponent brought more chaff and screeners than I would probably bring two squads of eels for more punch, but otherwise it would remain the same

Interesting! Thanks for the input. 

I was thinking of going with my more elite units, ironbreakers/drakes etc, but now you mention it it may be better for me to swap these out for cheaper units to add more wounds to the board (warriors/thunderers etc), which would allow him to bring extra damage dealing. Us Dwarfs can take many hits, but we don't deal out as much damage as he would.

2 hours ago, Grim Grudgebearer said:

Interesting! Thanks for the input. 

I was thinking of going with my more elite units, ironbreakers/drakes etc, but now you mention it it may be better for me to swap these out for cheaper units to add more wounds to the board (warriors/thunderers etc), which would allow him to bring extra damage dealing. Us Dwarfs can take many hits, but we don't deal out as much damage as he would.

honestly the biggest way you can help is trying to insure and help how he can charge with his heavy hitters. maybe some range and chaff would help? I am just speculating so I hope my thoughts are good.

So i just watched aquaman...and now i'm here.

I'd love to build a cavalry list - here's what i've drafted so far:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Trait: Nightmare Legacy  
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (400)

Battleline
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard(320)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard(160)
6 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard(280)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard(140)

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

What do you guys think??

1 hour ago, Synidus said:

So i just watched aquaman...and now i'm here.

I'd love to build a cavalry list - here's what i've drafted so far:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Akhelian King (240)
- General
- Trait: Nightmare Legacy  
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (400)

Battleline
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard(320)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard(160)
6 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard(280)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard(140)

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

What do you guys think??

I think mono eel list are inferior to eel +trhall list cause u lack body for the objective, and I think reverse tide list are better than king list cause turn 3 for ur exploit is too late, but it's just my opinion 

Edited by Arael

9 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

honestly the biggest way you can help is trying to insure and help how he can charge with his heavy hitters. maybe some range and chaff would help? I am just speculating so I hope my thoughts are good.

Hmmm, wonder if I could get away with bringing some good old artillery then. If I fill the board with warriors to screen his charges and protect key units we might fare okay.

Unfortunately this is all speculation as we have no idea what we'll be up against! Thanks again

• Like 1

Well, I finally finished my 1,000 points yesterday (barring endless spells) just in time for school to start and eat my time up. I did play a game sunday and saw a post on reddit that basically confirms the biggest weakpoint of my army...

how the heck do I play for an objective? I know it's stupid to ask but I am having a really bloody hard time with objectives recently, especially the one game where you burn objectives. Aparantly opponents can burn objectives without anyone within range of it? lost a game that was ensured because my opponent barely managed to get his toe within 6" to grab both of my objectives and burn all four of them at the end of the greatest high tide my army ever had...

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well, I finally finished my 1,000 points yesterday (barring endless spells) just in time for school to start and eat my time up. I did play a game sunday and saw a post on reddit that basically confirms the biggest weakpoint of my army...

how the heck do I play for an objective? I know it's stupid to ask but I am having a really bloody hard time with objectives recently, especially the one game where you burn objectives. Aparantly opponents can burn objectives without anyone within range of it? lost a game that was ensured because my opponent barely managed to get his toe within 6" to grab both of my objectives and burn all four of them at the end of the greatest high tide my army ever had...

As an opponent to IDK in tournaments, if it weren’t for this fact I don’t know that I would ever be able to beat them. Any mission that has win conditions late game is pretty much an auto lose for me. IDK need at least some sort of weaknesses to balance out the incredible offensive power that they can generate mid game.

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

If you mean he held the objective then moved away and burned it later, yes that is okay.  In most scenarios you hold objectives until they are taken from you, even if you move away from them.

That is generally what I tend to do, with our high movement I can usually intercept anything trying to get to my back objectives.  If they have deep striking or teleporting then I will keep a small force on the objectives, usually a unit of 10 Thralls or 3 Ishlaen to contest it until I can reinforce. The objective game is definitely our weakness, you basically just need to keep from falling too far behind while you kill their army, once you have wiped a good portion of their army is when i move to capture objectives I dont already hold.  It also helps if you can force fights on top of objectives in their territory or neutral territory rather then in yours.