AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Aryann said:

Do rules regarding setting up a Wyldwood (1" away from opponent's territory) refer only to the FIRST FREE Wyldwood that we put before the battle or to all next WW as well (set up by verdant blessing, acorn,...)? 

Yes thats correct only the free wood has to be 1" way from enemy territory. The free wood also has alot of other restrictions. The ones you get per spell, acorn or ability are much more felxible.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Is there really no way whatsoever to use an order wizard or order unit with a sylvaneth army now, or am I mistaken??  That would be very depressing if they randomly removed that.  Toying with quirky mages was a big bit of fun to me.

You can still ally stuff like wanderers, deepkin and Stormcast and some dwarves for specific groves. 

Trying out a heartwood list tonight

Durthu, Ghyrstrike, Lord of the Hunt (HW CA)
Drycha, Regrowth
Branchwrych - Consort, Verdous Harmony
Branchwraith - Regrowth

3 x 10 Dryads
2 x 5 Tree Revenants

3 x 3 Bow Hunters

Forest Folk

The dryads iwll be used as screeens, durthu on 2s and 2s with a ca re-rolling 1s seems decent. Drycha seems valid now and adds a decent bit of poke damage, 9 bows re-rolling to hit is also a real threat.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

You can still ally stuff like wanderers, deepkin and Stormcast and some dwarves for specific groves. 

That can’t replace any of the fun mages in my heart 😭.  RIP all of the different battle mages, starpriests, archmages, loremaster, sorceress, and bless the lost souls of people who made hurricanums

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

That can’t replace any of the fun mages in my heart 😭.  RIP all of the different battle mages, starpriests, archmages, loremaster, sorceress, and bless the lost souls of people who made hurricanums

Allies still exist!

Also, Honest Wargamer bemoans Treelords... Are they *that* bad? What's the issue with them?

12 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Allies still exist!

We’re not allied with any of those factions to use those wizards anymore sadly 😞.

Also... Unless they end up changing his warscroll, the dispossessed wizard spell isn’t even compatible with sylvaneth 🙁

1 hour ago, AaronWilson said:

Trying out a heartwood list tonight

Durthu, Ghyrstrike, Lord of the Hunt (HW CA)
Drycha, Regrowth
Branchwrych - Consort, Verdous Harmony
Branchwraith - Regrowth

3 x 10 Dryads
2 x 5 Tree Revenants

3 x 3 Bow Hunters

Forest Folk

The dryads iwll be used as screeens, durthu on 2s and 2s with a ca re-rolling 1s seems decent. Drycha seems valid now and adds a decent bit of poke damage, 9 bows re-rolling to hit is also a real threat.

I see a good potential from this list, rerolling to hit for bow kurnoths could be massive dmg and a good come back for them. With ghyrstrike and CA you are almost guaranteed to hit those 5 attacks with durthu, the only problem I see is that you need to get him in combat, maybe the new swarm endless spell or cogs would be a good add. 

Edited by Walkirriox

9 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

nd that setup is Magical Christmas Land. There is no way you can reliably create that scenario

I will adress this magical christmas land of yours. 

First, the usual Gristlegore player likes to go forthe throat and jump in with his/hers unkillable general. If a kitted Durthu makes them more cautious thats a win!

Second, why are we assuming a 1 on 1? This is not Pokemon, you have a highly mobile army and Durthu shouldnt be left alone with the most feared beast in the game. Of course at least one more tree lord of some sort joins Durthu in teleporting and charging. That will secure that the TG king fights last and add some more wounds to the pile. The charge  rolls are easy to make now.

Third, did you forgot about the second pile in? Im not talking about the foul breathing boneguy now. Winterleaf gives you one free extra pile in. That will be enough to end the beast.

6 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

How are you supposed to use the old wyldwoods with the new warscroll? 😩

Im 100% positive that will be answered in the errata. GW already said that you can still use the old wood models. My guess is that 3 new woods are equal to one old wood. So you can put down 1-2 old bases per time you are allowed to place a wyldwood

57 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Allies still exist!

Also, Honest Wargamer bemoans Treelords... Are they *that* bad? What's the issue with them?

I didn't watch the full video from honest wargamer, but judging from his opinions he really didn't pay much attention when reading all the new rules. They stated that each wyldwood has to be 6" away from enemies, objectives and terrain (i watched until they were done discussing the new woods), which is not true. Only the free wyldwood you get for choosing sylvaneth allegiance has these restrictions. Any summoned/created by ability or artefact wyldwood can be placed 1" away from enemies, objectives and terrain and ALSO inside enemy territory.

Im not sure about the treelords. The point decrase is nice but I'd say taking a unit of 3 hunters is always a better option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikeymajq said:

yeah it's 6" from objectives 1" from other stuff. for the initial trees. Do we know about the others? 

The other trees are 1" from everything (objectives, terrain, enemies) and can be palced inside enemy deployment zone

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Syf said:

Speaking as a non Sylvaneth player, I was kind hoping treelords of all types would get an increase and Allariele went back up to 700 points but I guess it's a perspective thing.

If your faction isn't one of the new battletomes, I would totally understand why you feel that way.  It seems that GW's response to balance the really strong 2.0 factions is to just keep buffing every faction that gets updated one at a time, though >.<

thoughts on this list? only issue i have with it is i cant fit in a Treelord Anicent, i dont like the Dryads either theyre only here because ill probably end up with the models anyway

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (380) - General
Arch-Revenant (100)
Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)
Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) - Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) - Greatbows
Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

23 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

thoughts on this list? only issue i have with it is i cant fit in a Treelord Anicent, i dont like the Dryads either theyre only here because ill probably end up with the models anyway

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (100)
Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
Units

I personally would not bother bringing the single dryad unit unless it has 20+ models.  Their only advantage over spite revenants is their defence and their 2-inch attack- both of which you get less out of at small numbers (impenetrable thicket).

Edited by Zanzou

47 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (100)
Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
Units

Risky move not taking a caster. And only 2 heroes will hurt you in some scenarios. 

I'd probably swap the dryads for spite reventants. Maybe even one of the tree revs too. 

Bring a branchwraith and you can get free dryad units. Bargain for 80 pts. 

4 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Bring a branchwraith and you can get free dryad units. Bargain for 80 pts. 

yes if it's a single unit of 10 dryads for 100 points he would legit just be better off bringing a branchwraith and dividing 1 of the tree rev's into two to cover battleline requirements.  Of course I would not recommend that but it would still be better than current list.

Edited by Zanzou

@AaronWilson Please tell us how your game goes! I'd love to use bow hunters myself but am struggling to make them worth their points, perhaps heartwood is the way to go with them. I also love the MSU build with the dryads.   

I am currently contemplating a slightly different build, check it out below!

Glade: winterleaf

Everqueen

branchwraith: acorn of the ages

Arch-rev: winter leaf artifact, general

30x dryads

20x dryads

10x dryads

forest folk

6 hunters with sycthes

endless spell, spite hive

Pretty straight forward plan, alpha if your opponent has set up poorly and if they have set up nice and defensively go for a beta strike which might be even better.  This list is only 4 drops so only a couple of armies will under drop it, it could be great to threaten the alpha and then give them the first turn if it means they burn an entire turn doing next to nothing due to their defensive deployment. While allariele went up in points the idea of casting throne of vines followed by the spite swarm endless spell is a great combo.  I also like that her 16'' move with fly means that a teleport is not required to get her where she needs to go, with spite hive it's an even bigger move/charge.  I'm also a huge fan of big dryad units in winterleaf with the arch revenant plus the ever queen, alot of attacks potentially re -olling 1s and exploding 6s. The other thing I'm quite happy about is the arch-revanats command ability being used in the combat phase, that way if you fail your charges you can save the command points.  

Play testing to follow I will report back! Any comments are appreciated!  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jake3991 said:

@AaronWilson Please tell us how your game goes! I'd love to use bow hunters myself but am struggling to make them worth their points, perhaps heartwood is the way to go with them. I also love the MSU build with the dryads.   

I am currently contemplating a slightly different build, check it out below!

Glade: winterleaf

Everqueen

branchwraith: acorn of the ages

Arch-rev: winter leaf artifact, general

30x dryads

20x dryads

10x dryads

forest folk

6 hunters with sycthes

endless spell, spite hive

Pretty straight forward plan, alpha if your opponent has set up poorly and if they have set up nice and defensively go for a beta strike which might be even better.  This list is only 4 drops so only a couple of armies will under drop it, it could be great to threaten the alpha and then give them the first turn if it means they burn an entire turn doing next to nothing due to their defensive deployment. While allariele went up in points the idea of casting throne of vines followed by the spite swarm endless spell is a great combo.  I also like that her 16'' move with fly means that a teleport is not required to get her where she needs to go, with spite hive it's an even bigger move/charge.  I'm also a huge fan of big dryad units in winterleaf with the arch revenant plus the ever queen, alot of attacks potentially re -olling 1s and exploding 6s. The other thing I'm quite happy about is the arch-revanats command ability being used in the combat phase, that way if you fail your charges you can save the command points.  

Play testing to follow I will report back! Any comments are appreciated!  

How is this 4 drops?

i really think the salvation of this new batlletome is in kurnoth with sword

3 krunoth sword in charge in winterleaf make 

4BM on 6 hit

8hit so 5.66 wound rend -1 =7.54 dmg on 4+

+1.5 BM after the fight

5.5BM + 7.54 dmg on 4+save for 200 pts no bad at all without any buff

Edited by heiza