AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

You can still run him but you still definitely gotta take alarielle as well haha which would mean giving up battalions for points . If you want the battalions then no durthu I think.

alarielle is beast mode tho so you won’t regret having her :)

I honestly wouldn’t take so many endless spells they can back fire on you as well as get dispelled pretty easily since dispel range got buffed so much. 

I might consider taking one of the three you have there and taking that unit of 20 dryads to 30 that would put you at 1980 you can buy a 20 point endless if you want with that and have more bodies on the field.

I see your points.. but I have actually thought about it before going this way and came to other conclusions. I'd be happy to discuss this.

The first important point is that I can cast 9 spells each turn. 2017 I played gnarlroot too, but without a wraith ofc and then I noticed  that I OFTEN couldn't even cast myh 7 spells since stuff would be out fo range.. no targets for healing etc etc. Also I noticed that not having a damage spell on every caster can be annoying if he's just in range of a nice target that need 1-2 MW to be removed.  Especially since shield and bolt are completely nerved it's nice to have enough spells to fill the magic phase with. I think that without the endless spells it might even be difficult to make gnarlroot worth it (which is part of the reason I stopped using it last year).

On casting all spells can ofcourse be dispelled but not all armies will have 9 dispells. The endless spells aren't necessarily the best spells I can cast (looking at summoning dryads, Alarielles damage spell and in some instances the reaping, summoning a forest or the native spell of the wych which can  be great spells for our army) so if they dispell them I can cast other stuff. 

Once the endless spells are in play the pendulum will move one way and can be avoided (and if it seems to be going nowhere it could be dispelled and recast even) The geminids do damage and can stack -1 to hit which can be some what synergetic if needed. If an opponent dispells an endless spell in play then he has a cast less which is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ppetford said:

@Darkundo

My advice, after playing Sylavaneth for over a year now, is once you have decided on a list to try - stick with it. There are so many rules, interactions and strategies you can use within Sylvaneth that you’ll need to play a few games to learn everything. Keep reading the book, after each game - re-read it. There will be rules you forget or play wrong (I still find this is true for me too)

Sylvaneth is such a cool army to play. I genuinely get really excited to see it is still attracting new players.

Welcome along!

Thank you a lot!  Will remember this while testing my Army.  Next monday I will fight a Chaos army of tzeentch that runs Archaon and Kyros  too.  

I will choose one of those lists, not sure which one. 

12 hours ago, Twh30 said:

Any thoughts on this list ? More of a fluff list idea thinking that the stormcasts while cleaning stumbled across allerialle who takes them under her control, to use them to rid her of her enemies.

IMG_0948.PNG

This list seems fine to me, I think the only issue that you might see is woods restricting how your Stormcast can move and shoot. With how citadel woods work now those Ballista could have some troubles firing as desired. Also, in general the woods you set up are going to be weird with your Allegiance set to Order and not Sylvaneth. All the unit choices are solid otherwise.

General question for the Dreadwood players out there, I got my first taste of a Dreadwood game yesterday and everything felt good but also like I was walking on the edge of a razor...

Alarielle is sweet and fairly costed now but my list felt like it had just enough hitting power. My offense on turn one was Alarielle, 6 Scythe Kurnoths, a TLA, Branchwych, and multiple Spite Rev squads. Spite Revs did almost no damage (as I expected, more for some bravery shenanigans and objective control), TLA thankfully made his hits and wounds but my d6 damage rolls were a hot mess, Alarielle exploited a favorable matchup against a horde unit which she promptly took off the table, and Kurnoth's did everything I hoped for, but all of it was soo close. Is this a typical feeling on the ambush? Thank goodness I had +3 to charge with cogs and warsinger otherwise I would have missed some key charge rolls.

Just hoping someone familiar with the battalion could weigh in. Overall, I had a ton of fun playing it but man was it stressful! I'm wondering if a Durthu and 3 more Kurnoths would outclass Alarielle, or Drycha and Kurnoths etc. The one nice thing was Alarielle dropped in support troops for turn two as did my branchwraith, so I had a lot of board presence.

16 hours ago, Aezeal said:

The first important point is that I can cast 9 spells each turn. 2017 I played gnarlroot too, but without a wraith ofc and then I noticed  that I OFTEN couldn't even cast myh 7 spells since stuff would be out fo range..

You should always cast your spells regardless of whether or not you can pick a target or not :) if you have 9 spells and they all go off, even if 5 of them take no affect that is still 5 rolls to awaken the woods :) 

similar to how tzeentch will now cast spells even if they have no target just to add one to their summoning mechanics.

5 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Overall, I had a ton of fun playing it but man was it stressful! I'm wondering if a Durthu and 3 more Kurnoths would outclass Alarielle, or Drycha and Kurnoths etc. The one nice thing was Alarielle dropped in support troops for turn two as did my branchwraith, so I had a lot of board presence.

Definitely keep alarielle in there, durthu  and another unit of hunters doesn’t compare imo to what she brings to the table, especially since you can just summon a unit of hunters, so your really comparing durthu and hunter,  to Alarielle and hunter which is obvious choice. Not to mention losing 3 spells and global healing every turn.  Play a couple more games with her you’ll see that she is irreplaceable. 

:) 

Right now I’m thinking of running

TLA 

alarielle 

bwych 

2 bwraith 

30 dryads 

2x5 rev 

1x3 Hunter sycthes 

household

gnarlroot 

But I think I want to trade out second bwraith and dropping to 20 dryads for a loremaster though, just to give alarielle just an extra punch. And I’m not sold on having two bwraith even if it’s one extra cast. 

What do y’all think?

Edited by Ching Wing
Duplicate

3 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

Definitely keep alarielle in there, durthu  and another unit of hunters doesn’t compare imo to what she brings to the table, especially since you can just summon a unit of hunters, so your really comparing durthu and hunter,  to Alarielle and hunter which is obvious choice. Not to mention losing 3 spells and global healing every turn.  Play a couple more games with her you’ll see that she is irreplaceable. 

:) 

Unfortunately, I don't think it is that simple. I haven't crunched the numbers but Durthu plus 3 x Hunters turn 1 damage may be greater than Alarielle's (I wouldn't be surprised if it is, especially if the opponent does not have a sizable unit that needs to be killed to swing the game in your favor). When using the Dreadwood's ambush ability that turn 1 damage matters (amplified further if you can swing the double turn).

I don't plan on replacing her, I'm happy with how my list performed and want to iron out my ability to play it to its potential. What I'm looking for is people to weigh in on whether or not they felt like Dreadwood was tense to play. Setting up and executing the ambush was difficult, any advice on making it feel less so is my aim.

6 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Move your troops out of his way, use the ability so he can't shoot you... that sort of stuff? Move units on objectives in the middle so he can't claim them 1st turn?

Even if this means to allow the opponents to charge us on his first turn? 

33 minutes ago, Darkundo said:

Even if this means to allow the opponents to charge us on his first turn? 

Well that would depend (on the battleplan, units involved etc etc)... if it prevents him from taking turn 1 VP's then it can be worth it. Or if it's a unit of dryads that gets in cover and can stand a beating, or a TLA with oaken armor and gnarled warrior...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

Right now I’m thinking of running

TLA 

alarielle 

bwych 

2 bwraith 

30 dryads 

2x5 rev 

1x3 Hunter sycthes 

household

gnarlroot 

But I think I want to trade out second bwraith and dropping to 20 dryads for a loremaster though, just to give alarielle just an extra punch. And I’m not sold on having two bwraith even if it’s one extra cast. 

What do y’all think?

If you look at my list.. you'll see I'm all in favor of dropping the 2nd wraith.

So I played my gnarlroot army at tournament this weekend. I decided to drop second wraith and pick up loremaster instead. 

I tabled stormcast but lost in objectives, then narrowly beat a tzeentch army with archaeon general and also narrowly beat death army with lots of ghouls on third game. 

Not convinced about lore master, only got it off like 3 times all day, people saved their dispels just for that spell and I was still able to get lots of damage off without him, I don’t think he was worth 140, 

8 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

So I played my gnarlroot army at tournament this weekend. I decided to drop second wraith and pick up loremaster instead. 

I tabled stormcast but lost in objectives, then narrowly beat a tzeentch army with archaeon general and also narrowly beat death army with lots of ghouls on third game. 

Not convinced about lore master, only got it off like 3 times all day, people saved their dispels just for that spell and I was still able to get lots of damage off without him, I don’t think he was worth 140, 

How did you handled Archaon? 

Any thoughts and opiiins on this list cheers. 

Any thoughts on this list ? More of a fluff list idea thinking that the stormcasts while cleaning stumbled across allerialle who takes them under her control, to use them to rid her of her enemies.

IMG_0948.PNG

1 hour ago, Twh30 said:

Any thoughts and opiiins on this list cheers. 

IMG_0948.PNG

Haven't played stormcast and haven't even played against the ballista or lord ordinator or knight incantor yet so hard to command on this list

11 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

What did you think of the gnarlroot abundance of casts?

Who was your target for hand of glory?

Did the tournament use specific realm rules/realm artifacts/endless spells?

3 hours ago, Darkundo said:

How did you handled Archaon? 

I took turn one created a barrier of trees around objective. You don’t wanna fight him head on with alarielle or TLA. His slayer of kings will drop all heros in melee. Bubble wrap your heros. Draw him into the woods, cast an abundance of spells I took tree song and used TLA spell auto awaken woods. And then 10 more rolls to awaken woods. My woods did 17 wounds on Archeon by the end of the match. I was gunna have  alarielle charge in at the end and finish him off but we ran out of time. 

44 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

What did you think of the gnarlroot abundance of casts?

Who was your target for hand of glory

The abundance of spells was definitely nice as most people don’t have 10 dispells to do on you so you definitely control the flow of magic plus the woods were lethal. Hand of glory was usually on alarielle but a couple times I casted it on TLA or my summoned treelord. But like I said I only got it off a couple times anyway, people new I had that and would wait for till I casted to dispel it. 

I usually play with drycha in my list so this was my first tournament without her, I definitely felt like the list was lacking without her, even though I won they were close and I felt like whatever I summoned didn’t make that much of difference in my games. I think I’m gunna  drop lore master and hunter sycthes, and pick up drycha and more dryads. My 20 man unit of dryads saved my butt but also I needed just a couple more to bog down the enemy. Drycha will add that range and extra mortal wounds that I needed in my games while still giving me a spell to cast. Then I’ll just summon hunter sycthes with alarielle my turn one. This will be more balanced rather than relying on gimmicks. 

59 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

Did the tournament use specific realm rules/realm artifacts/endless spells?

The tournament hand picked the realm rules and objectives. We were allowed to claim that we were from one realm as well and take one spell out of there. We weren’t allowed to know all the spells of the realm but we could use their command ability and the realm rules. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

I took turn one created a barrier of trees around objective. You don’t wanna fight him head on with alarielle or TLA. His slayer of kings will drop all heros in melee. Bubble wrap your heros. Draw him into the woods, cast an abundance of spells I took tree song and used TLA spell auto awaken woods. And then 10 more rolls to awaken woods. My woods did 17 wounds on Archeon by the end of the match. I was gunna have  alarielle charge in at the end and finish him off but we ran out of time. 

The abundance of spells was definitely nice as most people don’t have 10 dispells to do on you so you definitely control the flow of magic plus the woods were lethal. Hand of glory was usually on alarielle but a couple times I casted it on TLA or my summoned treelord. But like I said I only got it off a couple times anyway, people new I had that and would wait for till I casted to dispel it. 

I usually play with drycha in my list so this was my first tournament without her, I definitely felt like the list was lacking without her, even though I won they were close and I felt like whatever I summoned didn’t make that much of difference in my games. I think I’m gunna  drop lore master and hunter sycthes, and pick up drycha and more dryads. My 20 man unit of dryads saved my butt but also I needed just a couple more to bog down the enemy. Drycha will add that range and extra mortal wounds that I needed in my games while still giving me a spell to cast. Then I’ll just summon hunter sycthes with alarielle my turn one. This will be more balanced rather than relying on gimmicks. 

The tournament hand picked the realm rules and objectives. We were allowed to claim that we were from one realm as well and take one spell out of there. We weren’t allowed to know all the spells of the realm but we could use their command ability and the realm rules. 

Can I ask you to show your list?  Just curious,  because I am playing Gnarlroot too and I am quite confused about some choices. 

I posted it earlier in the thread but here is a pic of it

12 minutes ago, Darkundo said:

Can I ask you to show your list?  Just curious,  because I am playing Gnarlroot too and I am quite confused about some choices. 

Gnarlroot was really powerful but having the starting unit of hunters in there wasn’t worth not having drycha. I’m gunna add in drycha and just summon in a unit of sycthes. 67BE126D-E22F-4D28-AD60-AE6B210362C1.png.823b322c2671a925a037bca53648153c.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ching Wing said:

I posted it earlier in the thread but here is a pic of it

Gnarlroot was really powerful but having the starting unit of hunters in there wasn’t worth not having drycha. I’m gunna add in drycha and just summon in a unit of sycthes. 67BE126D-E22F-4D28-AD60-AE6B210362C1.png.823b322c2671a925a037bca53648153c.png

Removing the loremaster and the kurnoth to add drycha will give you enough points to add also something more: would you add other 10 dryads (to get a troup of 30 pieces)  or some endless spells? 

10 minutes ago, Darkundo said:

Removing the loremaster and the kurnoth to add drycha will give you enough points to add also something more: would you add other 10 dryads (to get a troup of 30 pieces)  or some endless spells? 

Definitely bumping up to a unit of 30 dryads. Not crazy about endless spells.  A lot of people are unhappy with all the spells and realm rules anyway that they are already getting banned in tournament play. So I don’t wanna get too accustomed to using them plus I can always just move my opponents if they have them.

• Thanks 1