AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Thank you again for the tips regarding the treelord that comes within the start collecting box. I'll build a proper spirit of durthu an buy a second box later on.

I'm planning to build the tree revenants from the looncurse box today and I'm struggling how exactly to set them up.

-Should I build tree or spite revenants?

-Which weapons should the tree revenants get? 1Banner, 1 Waypipe? And should the Scion get a Blade or a glaive?

9 minutes ago, IRifter said:

Thank you again for the tips regarding the treelord that comes within the start collecting box. I'll build a proper spirit of durthu an buy a second box later on.

I'm planning to build the tree revenants from the looncurse box today and I'm struggling how exactly to set them up.

-Which weapons should the tree revenants get? 1Banner, 1 Waypipe? And should the Scion get a Blade or a glaive?

I still have mines in the box. I'll wait until the release of the new battletome, now it's difficult to choose which one will fit better with your playstyle.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IRifter said:

If you want to play Dreadwood battalion then you'll need Spite-Revenants. Though with the potential for battalions to be shaken up in the new tome you may want to hang fire on building them until that gets released? Failing that, just build the ones you like :)

I would also be interested to know if people are giving the Tree-Rev Scion an enchanted blade for 4 attacks or a Glaive for the damage 2? Though I suppose the answer may be that it doesn't matter seeing as the unit isn't really there for damage dealing duties?

Edited by Dammitt_Jim
Flibberdygibbets
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Each specific treelord type has a unique head, shoulder branches (Durthu has skulls in his), belt/loin cloth and weapon for the right hand. 

I don’t understand why people thing that heads and other parts are interchangeable. The Durthu parts are covered in skulls, and the Ancient head has a full braided beard - they aren’t remotely similar. 

2 hours ago, Heksagon said:

Well, Durthu had iconic look, but Spirit of Durthu may look differently. And Ancient Treelords don't have to have a beard, really. There are plenty of proofs in our battletome.
In my opinion limiting players to the "iconic look" is a bit silly. ;)

To me there is a reason that that the Warscroll doesn’t just say generic “Treelord with Sword” and “Treelord with Staff”.  There are lore differences and- in my opinion- it’s the same reason that GW specified those characteristic instructions for each unique model as Trevelyan noted above.  Durthu is a battle-torn badass with his broken mask and skull collection- I personally wouldn’t have it any other way.

That being said- if you’re changing it up because a different way interests you creatively (and as you have shown artists have drawn them in various interpretations), I would say build how you enjoy to build.  I just don’t want to give a new player the impression that there aren’t already set distinguishing features between the two models.  Deviating from this on purpose is 100 percent fair game though. I just think they should be aware.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dammitt_Jim said:

I would also be interested to know if people are giving the Tree-Rev Scion an enchanted blade for 4 attacks or a Glaive for the damage 2? Though I suppose the answer may be that it doesn't matter seeing as the unit isn't really there for damage dealing duties?

The glaive is slightly better if you save the dice to reroll the hit or wound for this weapon.

Just to add my two cents to the magnetised Treelords.

I have two SC boxes. Didn't want another as I don't want more Branchwyches and I found some Dryads for cheap.

I already had an Ancient from the first SC box. I realised I'd very rarely wanted to run a vanilla Treelord - and probably never at the same time as Durthu (ok, new battletome may change this). So it didn't matter to me if my vanilla was slightly off.

I also wanted to see if I could effectively magnetise a Treelord without it getting wobbly or looking rubbish. And if I decided at any point it wasn't working, I could simply glue everything in place and go buy another SC box.

So, I used a combination of the connecting pieces to put him in a pose I wanted. I magnetised the weapon hand onto the arm and the neck+head onto the torso. For the branches I used Durthu parts. My fluff explanation for that is that my Vanilla Treelord wants to be a Durthu when he grows up.

I then decided to paint him like he had been on fire and was now smouldering, and proceeded to cut off all the leaves. I find this helps to distract the common reuse of parts when running as a Treelord.

In the end I'm fairly happy with him. The weapon hand can spin around a little and you can see a tiny bit of magnet. The head holds on very firmly - can even pick him up via it. Maybe in some point in the future I'll change my mind, and I can just glue all the magnetised parts in place and keep as Durthu.

Here's a photo of all the Durthu parts. Sadly didn't have Treelord head and weapon on hand to photo.

IMG_20190522_225243.jpg.4b5f487ef5c589a526d60a5e6df05b52.jpg

IMG_20190522_225349.jpg.67727917430901020e69eaa0e7d8f8d0.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

7 hours ago, Craze said:

If you had to choose an artifact to protect Archie from some kind of Alpha Strike (e.g. Gav-Bomb or BoC ranged ambush) what would you choose?

If you are positive a ranged alpha strike is coming, put your forest in your deployment zone and Archie inside of it. For CC alphas either bubbles wrap him with dryads or T-revs. 

It's been a while since the Arch-Revenant  came out. Has anyone got to try it in a tournament yet? Anyway, I am about to play this in the coming weekend:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Arch-Revenant (100)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Warsinger 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
Outcasts (90)
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

Just to see what the Arch-Hunter bubble can do. :)

4 hours ago, Almace038 said:

The Arch-Revenant flies, so she can’t hide in the woods.

34 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

Don't know how I managed to miss this. It really highlights how stupid and unintuitive the existing woods rules are.

Would anyone mind elaborating on this?  As far as I understood, flying allows you to ignore terrain when moving from point A to point B but when you finish a move the unit “lands” and is treated as normal being in a wyldwood.  Why can’t the arch revenant land here to hide?

4 minutes ago, Almace038 said:

She can land in the woods just fine, however the woods only block line of sight if neither the attacking nor defending model have flying.

I see. This is a rule on the Citadel Woods warscroll and in GW’s FAQ but not on the wyldwood warscroll itself.. I completely forgot. Thanks.  However, I believe she would at least still benefit from terrain Cover and of course people don’t like to enter those woods.

1 hour ago, Almace038 said:

Indeed she would, but the initial question was screening her against shooting, which we can’t really do with the woods. So we have to use more conventional chaff screening.

The problem is, that much of the time only have two visible models for shooting - - Alarielle and the Arch-Revenant.