AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Harvestboon boost to charge rolls is super nice when coupled with the cogs and warsinger. That gives you a 5" from 9" away, which is so sweet, also snake eyes are no longer a threat!

Also, I personally prefer to boost spell casting (+1 for harvestboon wraiths) to having the ability to cast more spells (gnarlroot). It means that you'll more reliably get your casts off and have to worry less about denial. From the few games of 2.0 that I've played so many spells have been shutdown by denies that otherwise would have succeeded with any boost.

I stepped away from the Harvestboon list because I really didn't want to run a horde of Dryads, otherwise it seems like a pretty sweet battalion.

I own 30 painted from when I started the army in 2005 (as an autumn theme), and another 40 I'm painting up now (as summer).  So the horde isn't a problem for me.  

Initially my focus was on 6 Hunters and 3 x 10 Dryads.  Then use the summoning to bring in more dryads.  I think with the Balewind, you could get good boosts.  However I do want to try two hordes of 30.  

Last edition I played a lot of 10  man MSU Winterleaf.  I found them easy to get into woods, then backed with a Treeman stomp they were hard to hit and denied my Maggotkin opponent his bonus attacks.  

What I am looking at trying now is 30 Tree Revenants in either Treelord (Oakenbrow?) or Ironwood.  I did some quick loose dmg output and found them not dissimilar to Hunters with swords (granted no where near the tankiness).  Mostly this idea came from facing a 30-man Thrall unit that performed well.

14 hours ago, Atreyu said:

Had my second 1000P game yesterday against Nighthaunt and got tabled. I have no idea what i can do against Lady Olynder, all the mortal wounds in general...

I'd say... MW her back with gnarlroot? I also say she's... pretty low on points for her abilities... 

Hey everyone, I've been going over the new sylvaneth point costs and the battletome and came up with a list for gnarlroot without allarielle. I definitely think that ghyrstrike is going to make durthu a beast in combat. I also think that the lamentiri will help the branchwraith get the dryad factory going.

Treelord ancient
 - oaken armor
 - gnarled warrior
 - regrowth
300pts

Spirit of durthu
 - ghyrstrike
380pts

Branchwych
 - dwellers below
80pts

Branchwraith
 - ranu's lamentiri
 - verdant blessing
80pts

Battleline:

20 dryads
200pts

20 dryads
200pts

5 tree revenants
80pts

Other:

3 kurnoth hunters
 - scythes
200pts

3 kurnoth hunters
 - bows
200pts

Battalions:

Household
100pts

Gnarlroot wargrove
130pts

Endless spells:

Malevolent maelstrom
20pts

Soulsnare shackles
20pts

• Like 1

@Thrst77 I like the list. I agree that Durthu and that artefact is going to be devastating! It seems to find it’s way into every list I write at the moment.

How do you see yourself using the Malevolent Maelstrom? I really like the rules, just worry that casting in a Gnarlroot list will hamper my spells as much as the enemy.

2 hours ago, Thrst77 said:

@ppetford I'm not totally convinced on the maelstrom. I might play a few games with it and try it out. Otherwise I'll run some other 20pt spell

You could use Quicksilver Swords instead or drop Shackles and other spell for Pendulum/other 40pt options. I'm also not very sold on maelstrom. Initially I thought it was going to be sweet but the more I think about it the less I like it.

12 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys I'm reading many post about allarielle .. What about "old" gnarloot with TLA and durthu! It seems better in aos2 cause point drop, durthu is a very good hammer, and TLA is immortal with command trait and correct artifact. You got magic power and with bwr you can free summon 10 dryads. And it's one drop! Imo too important for sylvaneth for wildwood placement!!

I think you're seeing so much Alarielle now because she is very efficient and flexible and people want to bust out Sylvaneth's most bad-ass model!

17 hours ago, Atreyu said:

Had my second 1000P game yesterday against Nighthaunt and got tabled. I have no idea what i can do against Lady Olynder, all the mortal wounds in general...

I played against a Lady Olynder and didn't have too much trouble with her at 1k points. I just made sure to keep her at a distant and kill her with range/magic. My opponent didn't roll well on Grave-sands of Time and she went down the following turn.

5 hours ago, Thrst77 said:

Hey everyone, I've been going over the new sylvaneth point costs and the battletome and came up with a list for gnarlroot without allarielle. I definitely think that ghyrstrike is going to make durthu a beast in combat. I also think that the lamentiri will help the branchwraith get the dryad factory going.

Treelord ancient
 - oaken armor
 - gnarled warrior
 - regrowth
300pts

Spirit of durthu
 - ghyrstrike
380pts

Branchwych
 - dwellers below
80pts

Branchwraith
 - ranu's lamentiri
 - verdant blessing
80pts

Battleline:

20 dryads
200pts

20 dryads
200pts

5 tree revenants
80pts

Other:

3 kurnoth hunters
 - scythes
200pts

3 kurnoth hunters
 - bows
200pts

Battalions:

Household
100pts

Gnarlroot wargrove
130pts

Endless spells:

Malevolent maelstrom
20pts

Soulsnare shackles
20pts

I made a list pretty similar to that bc durthu is sweet and scary especially with that artifact. But I don’t see a reason why alarielle shouldn’t be in every single list right now, she is much better than durthu in the new meta, she packs a bigger punch, heals the whole army and give you 3 extra spells which is so key in aos2 also I recommend taking spells from shyish, definitely the best buffs for alarielle in there, or durthu. They are both weak to mortal wounds and there is an immune to all spells buff in there. 

Try it with both hero’s though and you decide.  :)

29 minutes ago, Thrst77 said:

So the branchwraith summons dryads and they cannot move. Can they teleport into another wyldwood because it is done instead of moving?

That would be sweeeeeeeeet!! But no you can’t haha, the teleport is instead of  moving normally that phase, but since you’re not even allowed to move normally that phase you won’t be allowed to teleport either. 

Would be sick tho!

10 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

I made a list pretty similar to that bc durthu is sweet and scary especially with that artifact. But I don’t see a reason why alarielle shouldn’t be in every single list right now, she is much better than durthu in the new meta, she packs a bigger punch, heals the whole army and give you 3 extra spells which is so key in aos2 also I recommend taking spells from shyish, definitely the best buffs for alarielle in there, or durthu. They are both weak to mortal wounds and there is an immune to all spells buff in there. 

Try it with both hero’s though and you decide.  :)

Just want to clarify, you cannot pick spells from a realm for your casters. Access to realm spells is 100% dependent on what realm you're playing in. Therefore, in order to access the shyish spells your game would need to take place in shyish. The realm you play in will either be randomly rolled or agreed upon by both players, there is no cherry picking your favorite realm spells.

20 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

At the very least you should put drycha in there bc you have no way to dish out mortal wounds.  Especially since she just got buffed 280 is a steal.

But would you take Drycha over 3 Kurnoths and an order wizard?

2000: Alarielle (600), Branchwraith (80), Branchwych (80), 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), Treelord Ancient (300), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160), Gnarlroot+Household (230), endless spells (70)

2000: Alarielle (600), Branchwraith (80), Branchwych (80), 20 Dryads (200), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160), Battlemage (120), Gnarlroot+Household (230), endless spells (30)

(Or replace Battlemage for Archmage (100) and more endless spell fun)

3 hours ago, a74xhx said:

But would you take Drycha over 3 Kurnoths and an order wizard?

2000: Alarielle (600), Branchwraith (80), Branchwych (80), 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), Treelord Ancient (300), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160), Gnarlroot+Household (230), endless spells (70)

2000: Alarielle (600), Branchwraith (80), Branchwych (80), 20 Dryads (200), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160), Battlemage (120), Gnarlroot+Household (230), endless spells (30)

(Or replace Battlemage for Archmage (100) and more endless spell fun)

For drycha I was recommending her if you take durthu instead of alarielle in the list that was you have horde killer and ways to dish out mortal wounds.  

Honestly i like both of your lists a lot and your second list is the one I’m taking to a tournament this weekend, except I traded arch mage for a second branchwraith and unit of 30 dryads instead of 20. You should try both lists tho they look fun. I think summon bow hunters turn one is best option with exceptions to who your playing against. 

hi guy's i'm newb sylvaneth army

i heard that Lord Kroak is Best Wizard

my list

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord Kroak (450)
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

Battleline
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
- Scythes

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Household (100)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 91

What do you think that list? 

Edited by WhiteBear

20 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

For drycha I was recommending her if you take durthu instead of alarielle in the list that was you have horde killer and ways to dish out mortal wounds.  

Honestly i like both of your lists a lot and your second list is the one I’m taking to a tournament this weekend, except I traded arch mage for a second branchwraith and unit of 30 dryads instead of 20. You should try both lists tho they look fun. I think summon bow hunters turn one is best option with exceptions to who your playing against. 

That sounds like a lot of dryads! I considered 30, but with 1 branchwraith decided 20 would be enough.

Is it possible to summon an understrength unit? Like if I have only 5 dryads on the sidelines mid game?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth - Mortal Realm: Ghyran

LEADERS

Alarielle the Everqueen (600) - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Treelord Ancient (300) - Artefact : The Oaken Armour - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : The Silverwood Circlet - Deepwood Spell : The Reaping

Branchwraith (80) - Artefact : Ranu's Lamentiri - Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

UNITS

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

20 x Dryads (200)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Scythes/Swords 

10 x Dryads (100)

BATTALIONS

Household (100)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Balewind Vortex (40)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 88 LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 3/3 ALLIES: 0/400

So I think I'll take this my next game. Endless spells and artefacts are up for debate... anyone see any improvements in that department?

Edited by Aezeal

I'm a little sad that if you run Kurnoths already then the Durthu is completely outclassed by Alarielle. It's even more true if you're going to be playing on realms where she gets extra spells. Oh well, time to get an Alarielle for them. That was the one model I didn't get during the last release.

15 minutes ago, Hulksmash said:

I'm a little sad that if you run Kurnoths already then the Durthu is completely outclassed by Alarielle. It's even more true if you're going to be playing on realms where she gets extra spells. Oh well, time to get an Alarielle for them. That was the one model I didn't get during the last release.

You can still run him but you still definitely gotta take alarielle as well haha which would mean giving up battalions for points . If you want the battalions then no durthu I think.

alarielle is beast mode tho so you won’t regret having her :)

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

So I think I'll take this my next game. Endless spells and artefacts are up for debate... anyone see any improvements in that department?

I honestly wouldn’t take so many endless spells they can back fire on you as well as get dispelled pretty easily since dispel range got buffed so much. 

I might consider taking one of the three you have there and taking that unit of 20 dryads to 30 that would put you at 1980 you can buy a 20 point endless if you want with that and have more bodies on the field.

This is what I'm thinking. It used to have Durthu and another unit of Kurnoth but this seems overall better now. The 10-man Revenants are the household ones.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
- Scythes

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Household (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

• Like 1

Hi guys,  I am new here...  And I am  new to this game: I used to play WH Fantasy and nothing more. 

I am trying to test AoS and i fell in love with Sylvaneth.  I really like the Gnarlroot Groove strategy,  but I can' figure out how to set my army. 

Indeed,  there are 3 settings I am thinking about:

LEADERS

Treelord Ancient (300)

- General- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior  

- Artefact :  The Oaken Armour  

- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwraith (80)

- Artefact :  Ranu's Lamentiri  

- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth Branchwych (80)

- Artefact :  The Silverwood Circlet  

- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines

Alarielle the Everqueen (600)

UNITS

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)-Greatbows

10 x Dryads (100) 10 x Dryads (100)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

BATTALIONS

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Household (100)

2000/2000

LEADERS

Spirit of Durthu (380)

- General

- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior  

- Artefact :  Ghyrstrike 

Treelord Ancient (300)

Artefact :  The Oaken Armour

Branchwraith (80)

Branchwych (80)

UNITS

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

BATTALIONS

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Household (100)

ENDLESS SPELLS Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

TOTAL: 1990/2000

LEADERS

Treelord Ancient (300)

- General

- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior  

- Artefact :  The Oaken Armour  

Spirit of Durthu (380)

- Artefact : Ghyrstrike

Drycha Hamadreth (280)

Branchwych (80)

Branchwraith (80)

UNITS

6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)-Scythes

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

BATTALIONS

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Household (100)

1990/2000

The first setting allows me to play Alrielle and 2x3 Kurnoth  (+one more I will summone with Alarielle) Here I could also run 1x6 of Kurnoth and equip them for melee. 

The second setting runs Durthu and 9 Kurnoth (may be 1x6 melee setted + 1x3range).  Alarielle no more means 3 spells (and unbind)  less eaxh turn,  less heal, but I should get more melee power. 

Third setting runs both Durthu and Drycha as well 6x Kurnoth melee setted. I like this setting but I totly dislike 3x5 revenants. 

So this is where I am.  Can anybody help me setting my army? 

• Like 1

@Darkundo

My advice, after playing Sylavaneth for over a year now, is once you have decided on a list to try - stick with it. There are so many rules, interactions and strategies you can use within Sylvaneth that you’ll need to play a few games to learn everything. Keep reading the book, after each game - re-read it. There will be rules you forget or play wrong (I still find this is true for me too)

Sylvaneth is such a cool army to play. I genuinely get really excited to see it is still attracting new players.

Welcome along!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1