AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello again! Today has been a day of YouTube and 1d4chan to cram on the Sylvaneth knowledge!!! So I have a few questions in regards to this army! Number one is at 1000 points how Important is first turn for us? Is it important enough for me to still wanna take a Wargrove (for almost guaranteed first turn)  despite the massive points cost for doing so? (Basically giving me 750 points to work with for the dryad ones!) and also does a unit count towards an armies drop count if put in reserves? (I’m under the impression no but I could be wrong) as if reserve units don’t count then that opens up a lot of possibilities for list building at 1000 points as I can easily keep my drops lower then my opponent! My three theory lists (without points costs as I only have a general idea of what things cost) for 1k is these:

2 handmaidens 

3 units of ten dryads

tree lord ancient

1000/1000 I believe! Basically this uses the Wargrove that gives plus one to casting and dispelling to increase my dryad summoning and with three casters at 1k only death and tzeentch should give me trouble magic wise. I should also note that this list auto wins places of arcane power since the tree lord is a caster and can teleport onto one objective turn one with a 2 up re roll ones armour save and massive healing with spells and trait! At this points level many armies will lack the heavy hitters to remove him and against armies with no rend it’s a literal free win but only on character based objectives haha. This list also has the bonus of possibly dropping 12 bases of trees or 4 forests which I think adds a lot of flexibility to the force

4 spite revenant units of 5 models each

some heavy hitter (I like both durthu and kurnoth hunters but both around 400 points and different strengths)

and as many wizards as I can fit (which I believe is one sadly, if I can I’ll run cogs or vortex to increase spell output!)

close to 1000 and might need some tweaking, this list uses the dreadgrove to launch a deadly alpha strike with kurnoth hunters and then digs in while my other units pick off survivors and take objectives, durthu adds a better shooting attack along with melee but other then that’s seems to be poor compared to kurnoths (although the extra character means I can actually use my extra relics which is another point for durthu) perhaps a unit of three kurnoths is sufficient for the alpha strike and I could fit more units? Other then that a one drop with devastating early damage and quite a tanky list if I take 6 kurnoths

2 branch wraiths

as many dryads as possible!!!

a unit of (teleporting) revanants or chameleon skinks

1000 points but has a lot of room as I don’t have a set dryad amount. Basically this one uses the winter leaf grove so I can add the skinks or the revanants as they do a similar job (back field unit death) although I think skinks do it better depending on the enemy.prolly will run two min units of revanants to maximize chance of a charge. This list makes dryads in a wood EXTREMELY efficient, almost getting an extra attack on their turn! And with a 3 up save possibly re rolling ones in large units and the negative one to hit bonus (which if I focus on dryads might stack with the skink starlight spell instead of taking skinks as the order unit to make them REALLY good) and with constant summoning spam with buffed dryads (summoned dryads do get the groves bonuses right?) this list could work out to be really effective vs horde lists with no rend and low hit rolls!

if we can lower drops using reserves then my list would look something like this:

branch wraith

dryads (don’t know the exact number)

maybe a unit of teleporting revanants instead of a second unit of dryads

treelord ancient 

kurnoth hunters

1000 points with lots of rooms for customization and maybe an endless spell(cogs on the wraith with throne of vines would make a decent summoner I think, especially if I also take that relic that adds 2 to casting rolls for Sylvaneth spells!) this list also gives me a decent amount of trees if I change it to include a battalion to add the acorn in or even just take the acorn over other relics. Could probably use some tweaking but seems like a balanced list especially if I can lower my drops with reserves! Another possible tweak is dropping the ancient for 3 more kurnoths and a second caster (prolly another branchwraith haha for the back up summons) or even going full SICKO MODE and using durthu fully tricked out with that ability that gives plus 2 to teleporting for practically guaranteed charge no matter what and a one man army full of WIN*

*may or may not include actually winning battles, results may vary 

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer

On 2/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, Aezeal said:

I'm not convinced the sisters are either....

I decided to mix 1 and 2 for this evening.. opponent due any minute

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Loremaster (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

10 points short of balewind so 'had' to go circle instead of acorn. But now I can at least try 9"  mirrored reaping and loremaster both.

I'm playing seraphon though so he'll always get a dispelled roll sadly.

So I played a Kroak + Slann list with shadowstrike batallion and an EotG. Scenario:  starstrike.

His starstrike host (6 razors) killed Alarielle turn 1 (didn't know about the 3" teleport rule, had 9" teleports behind backline covered and had screening in front of her.. live and learn I guess.

Anyway.  Kroak is just nasty.. had +2 spells (cogs and balewind) and +2 to cast (constellation and.. something else)  and often + 14" range (astrolith and balewind I think). I was almost tabled mostly by the at least 34 MW kroak did (I can remember 2 turns of 15 MW and 1 of 4... didn't play his turn 5 but there was probably another turn with a few wounds there too) which is prettty heavy on an 88 wound army (I did summon 3 hunters and 10 dryads though). 

I actually won mainly due to a bit of luck with the star strikes: I got the first one  (midline) in turn 2 easily (fell into wyldwood I'd summoned and teleported too  turn 1 on the left). He had mainly deployed in the right corner and was raining death by way of magic from there.  The other 2 (in his and my territory) fill in the middle and I also those got turn 3 since I still had initiative that  turn. He was only able to get one of those back in his turn 3 so it was 11-3 after turn 3. He already wanted to concede then but I saw he was just massacring me and he had teleports (double teleport trait) and if he got 2 objectives turn 4 and 5 and I only got 1 I'd still beat me). I kept 20 dryads in a forest on the left midline objective though and he didn't get it and his razors (which after killing Alarielle had faced 20 dryads , 5 revenants and would have killed them (backed by magic) all except the dryads ran . His 3 razors only got the remaining dryads to 2 turn 4 so he had it but in my turn 4 moved the TLA that way and killed those 2 so I had it again. It was  19-11 and he could have possibly gotten 15 last turn with teleports and summons and some luck... but then I rolled initiative again so I'd automatically keep  2 which mean I'd be 29-11 after my turn... and he could max get 15. It was late and he congratulated me without playing turn 5.

All in all it was a bit frustrating. I lost Alariell his turn 1, luckily after summoning the hunters (I usually go treelord but I needed to kill his slann, or astrolith or kroak and it wasn't going to happen any other way. I actually got his slann only down to 1 wound remaining end of turn 2 after which they where killed.. I killed it turn 3 with the reaping.

So I started with 10 spells cast per round.. but ofc.. turn 1 nothing was in range... and turn 2 Alarielle was dead.. so my powerfull magic phase was already crippled. In addition to that HE had cogs and just kept rolling every spell and me failing dispells while I hardly got anything through due to terrible rolls ( a lot of 3-4 when I needed 5 and a lot of 5 when I needed 6) and his infinite dispell range.. I certainly didn't feel like I was playing a magic heavy batallion. I guess it's just my luck I've been playing against Anti-magic Khorne goretide and even more powerfull magic seraphon a lot... magic is hardly even 

About the "ideas" behind the list:  Loremaster and Mirrors + reaping + circlet:

-Alarielles early death meant that I didn't have a real testcase for the loremaster (only used his spell once on the TLA which did benefit greatly).

- I only got of the combo Umbral (was casted turn 2 ) and then reaping (with circlet) combo once (turn 3).. but it did quite some damage (as mentioned finished the slann which meant he didn't have 24 summoning points the last 3 turns). I actually fired the wych own spell through it too which was illegal... but I only thought of it when he positioned kroak next to it turn 3... so I let him blow all kroaks spell through it the other way around which more than made up the damage (killed all 3 of the 5 wound characters in  turn 3 or 4). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rules Question:

Our Wyldwoods block line of sight, unless they are within 1" of the edge (Overgrown Wilderness yes?)

Overgrown Wilderness also states that if any unit is flying, they ignore that.

So basically, any flying unit could care less about Wyldwoods and parking dryads etc. in there? Sorry if this seems like a basic question, just something my and my friend have never played with, and randomly stumbled upon.

1 hour ago, KasperBN said:

Rules Question:

Our Wyldwoods block line of sight, unless they are within 1" of the edge (Overgrown Wilderness yes?)

Overgrown Wilderness also states that if any unit is flying, they ignore that.

So basically, any flying unit could care less about Wyldwoods and parking dryads etc. in there? Sorry if this seems like a basic question, just something my and my friend have never played with, and randomly stumbled upon.

Overgrown Wilderness works a little different from what you describe. Lets say your friend´s Archer A wants to shoot your Dryad D standing in a Wyldwood:

(1) Draw a line between the closest points of A´s and D´s bases. This can be a bit tricky, a line laser can help a lot here.

(2) Check if the line pases at least 1" through a Wyldwood. If it does, A is not allowed to target D. If it does not, your friend can shoot freely.

(3) If A or D or both have the Flying ability (just picture a flying Dryad for a moment 😅), ignore (1) and (2) - both models can see each other freely.

You do not have to be sorry for asking questions  - it is a great way to learn and understand the game. Also, most people in this forum are super friendly and will gladly help you. Regarding your statement about flying units not having to care about your units in the woods: Just imagine your blob of Dryads camping an important objective - so yes, flying units can shoot them, but this may not be enough to stop them from scoring valuable control points.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 10:52 PM, Isotop said:

(1) Draw a line between the closest points of A´s and D´s bases. This can be a bit tricky, a line laser can help a lot here.

(2) Check if the line pases at least 1" through a Wyldwood. If it does, A is not allowed to target D. If it does not, your friend can shoot freely.

(3) If A or D or both have the Flying ability (just picture a flying Dryad for a moment 😅), ignore (1) and (2) - both models can see each other freely.

Is it unit to unit or do I test point 1 model to model? 

Always thought it's per model

Edited by Xil

Hey tree folks - looking for opinions.

I’m just starting AoS and have been advised to basically put together a list, work towards buying and modelling it, and then play it as it is for awhile to get to grips with everything (so minimising changes etc and just playing the same list for a bit while I familiarise myself with the game). 

That being said, I’m putting together a 2K Harvestboon list, with the intention of being solidly competitive while also giving me access to a bit of everything and a few models I like, so I can expose myself to a lot of the Sylvaneth warscrolls and playstyle. I’m obviously very new to this, so any thoughts or general help people can provide would be great!

LEADERS

- Branchwraith x 2

- Treelord Ancient 

- Drycha

UNITS

- Dryads x 30

- Dryads x 10

- Dryads x 10

- Kurnoths (bows) x 3

- Kurnoths (bows) x 3

- Tree Revs x 5

- Spite Revs  x 5

BATTALIONS

- Harvestboon

- Forest Folk

Bang on 2000. Does this look like it might help me achieve my goal of entering the hobby with a reasonably capable list and lots of exposure to different unit types and phases of the game etc??

Yes that looks like a great get-your-feet-wet build. 

The only thing I might change is building one set of bow hunters with scythes or swords. They are solid all ways but it gives you something else to try. Also nice if later you move to an allarielle list as it gives you choices to summon

Hello everyone,

In the rule book it is clearly stated that the wood forest trees can not be moved. So you have to climb and necessarily  lose the distance in inchs during the trip.

Nevertheless, during the official GW tournaments ont Twitch, I realized that all players Sylvaneth and Other remove the Citadel Woods trees as if they did not exist.

Forcibly doing so we happen to put more dryad and big monster / behemoth hiding in the forest.

How do you play citadel woods at once ?

Sorry for my english, I'm French.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Draakur said:

Hey tree folks - looking for opinions.

I’m just starting AoS and have been advised to basically put together a list, work towards buying and modelling it, and then play it as it is for awhile to get to grips with everything (so minimising changes etc and just playing the same list for a bit while I familiarise myself with the game). 

That being said, I’m putting together a 2K Harvestboon list, with the intention of being solidly competitive while also giving me access to a bit of everything and a few models I like, so I can expose myself to a lot of the Sylvaneth warscrolls and playstyle. I’m obviously very new to this, so any thoughts or general help people can provide would be great!

LEADERS

- Branchwraith x 2

- Treelord Ancient 

- Drycha

UNITS

- Dryads x 30

- Dryads x 10

- Dryads x 10

- Kurnoths (bows) x 3

- Kurnoths (bows) x 3

- Tree Revs x 5

- Spite Revs  x 5

BATTALIONS

- Harvestboon

- Forest Folk

Bang on 2000. Does this look like it might help me achieve my goal of entering the hobby with a reasonably capable list and lots of exposure to different unit types and phases of the game etc??

Hi ^^ the list look nice to me, just not my style (too many dryads) , which spell/ artefacts did u give at your heros? Why the bows on the Hunters?

32 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Forcibly doing so we happen to put more dryad and big monster / behemoth hiding in the forest.

How do you play citadel woods at once ?

You can remove the trees for easier access purpose but you can not put models on the places left by the trees. 

The trees don't block your horizontal move, meaning you can move accross them without having to measure the distance to climb the trees.

7 minutes ago, Alezya said:

You can remove the trees for easier access purpose but you can not put models on the places left by the trees. 

The trees don't block your horizontal move, meaning you can move accross them without having to measure the distance to climb the trees. 

Just in the videos of the Big GT players removed the trees and put their figures on the site dedicated to trees. : /

Oh wow. I always moved around the trees. Which made moving a big unit of Dryads very annoying. So I can't stand inside a tree, but I can move through it if my movement is enough to pass it completely?

I'd doubt that. Can you cite a rule for this please?

To the list from above:

Definitly not the strongest list you can achieve, but to play as many units as possible: Give it a try. If you want to improve it's strength: Kick the reverends out, try to get a Durthu or even Alarielle in. Or more specific: Kick the Tree Revs and the TLA, and bring in Durthu. He has way more damage potential. The trade-off is that you loose one spell and the command ability of TLA, but I think it is worth it. Further on you might want to change at least one of the hunters to a melee option. I like both of them, the swords are better against bad-save-roll-chaff and the scythes are better against better armored units and have the added bonus of the two inch reach, which make the 1'' pile in when dug in not as painful.

But to get your feet wet against a non-tournament list, your list should be fine to find out which units you like. But take notice: The spite revs seem weak, but are needed for the dreadwood batallion, my favorite of the sylvaneth batallions!

Thanks so much for the replies folks, glad I’ve posted here, I’m finding the forums a great source of info!

Just re: bows on Kurnoths, my only real rationale was that they looked like the only real shooting option available to Sylvaneth and I wanted to balance the list out somewhat. It seems like the other 95% of the list really wants to just close to melee. Also I’m still learning about spell choices - very happy to hear recommendations here if people have ideas for a Harvestboon list like this!

One thing I’m noticing a lot is people generally not thinking much of the Treelord Ancient, which leads me to my next question - is it a bit redundant to have both Drycha and a Durthu in a single list? I very much like the Drycha model and would like to try her out, andnpeople have said to replace the TLA for a Durthu in some cases, but they’ve both been described to me as big beat sticks basically... are they collectively too much in a list together?? (Bearing in mind I won’t be getting Alarielle for a fair while here so she’s not technically an option for me yet)

Edited by Draakur

21 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just in the videos of the Big GT players removed the trees and put their figures on the site dedicated to trees. : /

You can't do that. They were playing it the wrong way imho. 

21 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Oh wow. I always moved around the trees. Which made moving a big unit of Dryads very annoying. So I can't stand inside a tree, but I can move through it if my movement is enough to pass it completely?

My bad, I have to precise: For units with the fly keyword, yes you can move through it if your movement is enough. 

For units without the fly keyword (such as dryads) you can move through the base of the tree (actually you can even put a model on it, it fits). But not for the tree itself which makes you "lose" approx. 1". 

1 hour ago, Draakur said:

Just re: bows on Kurnoths, my only real rationale was that they looked like the only real shooting option available to Sylvaneth and I wanted to balance the list out somewhat. It seems like the other 95% of the list really wants to just close to melee. Also I’m still learning about spell choices - very happy to hear recommendations here if people have ideas for a Harvestboon list like this!

One thing I’m noticing a lot is people generally not thinking much of the Treelord Ancient, which leads me to my next question - is it a bit redundant to have both Drycha and a Durthu in a single list? I very much like the Drycha model and would like to try her out, andnpeople have said to replace the TLA for a Durthu in some cases, but they’ve both been described to me as big beat sticks basically... are they collectively too much in a list together?? (Bearing in mind I won’t be getting Alarielle for a fair while here so she’s not technically an option for me yet)

The go to spells of Sylvaneths are: Verdant blessing (for obvious reasons), Regrowth (specially if you play big heroes), Throne of Vines (for defensive options if you don't play Alarielle, for both offensive and defensive reasons if you play her). 

Treesong is very situational imho: Quite a good spell but with verdant blessing (without counting Acorn of the ages, the TLA, Alarielle, etc...) you already have enough sources of wyldwood generation without having to move them around. But Treesong can be very interesting in some specific lists though (such as dreadwood wargrove for example).

Dweller's below and The Reaping are too "one use only" according to me but can have some serious dmg output with the roused to wrath ability of the wyldwood.

For Drycha and Durthu: Depending on the list, they might work, yes

Edited by Alezya

9 hours ago, Draakur said:

I very much like the Drycha model and would like to try her out, andnpeople have said to replace the TLA for a Durthu in some cases, but they’ve both been described to me as big beat sticks basically... are they collectively too much in a list together?? (Bearing in mind I won’t be getting Alarielle for a fair while here so she’s not technically an option for me yet)

For me hours spent painting greatly exceed hours spent moving models on the table.  I would go with what I wanted to paint and let the chips fall where they may when it is time to game.

Thanks so much Alesya, this is great info 😊 cheers!

Yep understood re: Durthu etc. I think another part of the reason I’m unsure about taking the TLA out and finding room for a Durthu is that, given I’m playing Harvestboon, I thought maybe I should be trying to leverage the spellcasting potential with another caster? Or is this the wrong approach (and there’s also the fact that the extra 1 to run/charge might benefit a Durthu quite a bit too)?

@Saul Goodman I've played on the stream a few times with my Sylvaneth, a couple of times not putting the trees in. I never put my models in the circles, and ask explain to my opponent the logic that the trees are still there. As was said ealier, exception to this is sometimes flying units. Otherwise, if you have seen players putting models in the gaps, that's incorrect.

12 hours ago, Lhw said:

@Saul Goodman I've played on the stream a few times with my Sylvaneth, a couple of times not putting the trees in. I never put my models in the circles, and ask explain to my opponent the logic that the trees are still there. As was said ealier, exception to this is sometimes flying units. Otherwise, if you have seen players putting models in the gaps, that's incorrect.

Laurie, just to expand on this further - if you were to allow an opponent to put a flying unit (say Zombie Dragon) on one of the circles in the trees, would you play that he is 4/5 inches away from the units below when he lands (measuring vertical distance base to base, as he is  technically on top of the trees and not on the ground when he lands,  as flying only ignores terrain during the movement phase as written, not in combat - meaning he can shoot but not attack as he is outside of 3"). Or would you allow a zombie dragon to  charge into the woods, land on a circle, and measure as if he was on the ground? (i.e 0.5 inches away, therefore successfully making the charge and able to attack)

This has oddly come up for me in my last two tournaments.

Edited by JP1

@JP1 it's a really hard one that. The wording says that for all movement purposes he ignores it - so clearly piling in and charges, just treats the woods as there. But you're right that in theory he is still 3" away as sat on top of the tree. I've tended to play it as they completely ignore it - as they could just put the dragon on the side of the wood at a weird angle and it would technically be in. As far as I am aware, there's nothing in the rules that says they can't do that. Because of that, I tend to just play they can sit in the holes. 

Hi all, completely green new member to AOS and Warhammer in general in terms of playing. Collected models as a kid but really looking to get into it after a couple of mates started playing. I’ve ordered the Sylvaneth battle tome and a start collecting box. Got a few queries:

- I think they only play 1k for now but I’ll likely build for 2k as that’s what my local GW shop plays. Any sort of “must have” purchased after the start collecting box? Maybe another?

- Little bit overwhelmed with all the info, is there a more beginner friendly lists etc. to go for?

- General AOS question, probably going to make me sound very dense, but when it comes to summoning how does it actually work in terms of model count?

So I turn up to a battle with my 1k army. Are parts of this used to summon (Branchwraith dryad summon for example) or am I summoning extra models? So I’d need to buy models for a 1k list but also extra dryads, TL’s, wyldwoods etc . purely for summoning. So in effect I could end up with more than 1k pts on the table.

Probably made me sound foolish I just wanted an idea of just how much I’ll have to spend.

Thanks for any responses  

6 minutes ago, Nymzee said:

Hi all, completely green new member to AOS and Warhammer in general in terms of playing. Collected models as a kid but really looking to get into it after a couple of mates started playing. I’ve ordered the Sylvaneth battle tome and a start collecting box. Got a few queries:

- I think they only play 1k for now but I’ll likely build for 2k as that’s what my local GW shop plays. Any sort of “must have” purchased after the start collecting box? Maybe another? A second SC is always good. You simply cannot have to many dryads, and a second treelord ancient/druthu/regular treelord never hurts to have. I'd strongly advice to magnetize the head and the right wrist so you can change betreen the treelord types by changing their weapons. The head magnet helps to access everything when painting the built model and allows to further change the apperance between the trees. 

As I said, there are not "enough" dryads. Never. Tournament lists can have up to 100 on the board at one time. I for myself have 64 dryads and this is sometimes close when playing winterleaf batallion with summoning. Futher good buys are kurnoth hunters, and alarielle; and other battleline then dryas as your super-batallion of choice demans, so Tree Revs for Gnarlroot, Spite Revs for Dreadwood..... At 2000 you will most likely play a superbatallion. Oh, and branchwraits are often times played at least once, if not twice or even three of them.

Oops, I listed everything except drycha. But she has an awesome model. 

- Little bit overwhelmed with all the info, is there a more beginner friendly lists etc. to go for?

Take a look at your battletome and use one of the super batallions. Commonly used today are Gnarlroot, Harvestboon, Winterleaf and Dreadwood. Just from the rules you can probably guess, what the batallions are good at. A Spirit of Durthu is always a strong choice for your general, the Melee hunters are always good. Try to go on from there and try out. If you want to netlist a bit, aosshorts.com has lists from past tournaments. 

- General AOS question, probably going to make me sound very dense, but when it comes to summoning how does it actually work in terms of model count?

So I turn up to a battle with my 1k army. Are parts of this used to summon (Branchwraith dryad summon for example) or am I summoning extra models? So I’d need to buy models for a 1k list but also extra dryads, TL’s, wyldwoods etc . purely for summoning. So in effect I could end up with more than 1k pts on the table.

Summoning is not included in the points for your list and an extra. So its always good to keep some spare dryads for your Branchwraith and Hunters or more dryads for alarielles summoning. Also, you want to have wyldwoods. As many on the board as you can. I have 7 citadel wood bases and this number was recommended in a podcast I link below. But for the start about three (or as much as you can afford) should suffice. But remeber, almost every sylvaneth unit scales with the amount of trees on the board ;)

Probably made me sound foolish I just wanted an idea of just how much I’ll have to spend.

Thanks for any responses  

Exhaustive overview over the faction by two tournament players and a podcaster.

• Thanks 1