AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I knew what this meant in effect (the no artefact and spells part), I  though you meant you couldn't take hero's as the order unit in several battalions in addition to that in some new FAQ.

Which post are you referring to?

8 minutes ago, Isotop said:

Which post are you referring to?

The one I replied too from Heksagon, but I just interpreted it incorrectly. Nevermind.

And thanks for your explanation since due to me interpreting it incorrectly I feared stormcast heroes where out for us and it's good to know this isn't the case. 

Edited by Aezeal
  • Like 1

This is my Branchwraith in progress.

She's entirely made of spare Sylvaneth pieces and some green stuff. I wanted to keep the "tree turning into a woman" of the original wraith,  and I've painted her the same colours as my Drycha to tie them together.  Pleased with my mushrooms on the back I made, and cutting then filling the Branchwych leg so it wound around the tree. Not so keen on the change of detail scale between the different pieces and I still need to get the blending of the shoulder from skin to wood working.

This summer I was in the Galleria Borghese in Rome. The statue of Apollo and Daphne by Bernini instantly reminded me of the Branchwraith. As you move around the statue, it gives the illusion of Daphne turning from human to tree (not so easy to see in still photos). I'm fairly convinced this is exactly what the GW sculptor was copying using for inspiration. And that's why I wanted to keep that aspect in my wraith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_and_Daphne_(Bernini)

800px-Apollo_and_Daphne_(Bernini)_(cropp

• Like 6

I think Chronomatic Cogs and Emerald Lifeswarm are near the top of the list. The Cogs are immensely helpful to charge dryad blobs out of the woods to your enemy as harvestboon or to assists your alpha strikes as dreadwood. Lifeswarm behind some units of dryads in a wood should be a great defensive tool.

22 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

I think Chronomatic Cogs and Emerald Lifeswarm are near the top of the list. The Cogs are immensely helpful to charge dryad blobs out of the woods to your enemy as harvestboon or to assists your alpha strikes as dreadwood. Lifeswarm behind some units of dryads in a wood should be a great defensive tool.

Cogs also have the spell ability.  In that Faction Focus wasn't there a branchwych trick with Vortex, Throne of Vines and Unleash Spites or uh... the Reaping?

Hey guys. I’m going to a 1k point tournament in March and would appreciate some feedback on my list. The list is 950 points.

- Branchwraith (general / wisdom of the ages / acorn of the ages / throne of vines)

- Drycha (regrowth)

- Dryadsx10

- Spite-revenantsx5

- Kurnoth Huntersx3 (schythe)

- Quicksilver Swords

The idea is: To focus on getting down two large forests early on. To use Branchwraith as a Dryad-battery. To use Hunters and Drycha as hammers.

No idea how S-Revenants perform, and Quicksilver is included because why not. 

Edited by Bohemond

7 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Hey guys. I’m going to a 1k point tournament in March and would appreciate some feedback on my list. The list is 950 points.

- Branchwraith (general / wisdom of the ages / acorn of the ages / throne of vines)

- Drycha (regrowth)

- Dryadsx10

- Spite-revenantsx5

- Quicksilver Swords

The idea is: To focus on getting down two large forests early on. To use Branchwraith as a Dryad-battery. To use Hunters and Drycha as hammers.

No idea how S-Revenants perform, and Quicksilver is included because why not. 

There is no reason to take spites if you don't want to play Dreadwood and have the points for dryads open.

Drycha is suboptimal i think, because there are less and smaller units in 1000 compared to 2000, diminishing her shooting efficency. I guess you can better take dryads instead of spites and TLA instead of drycha.

11 hours ago, Bohemond said:

i think 1 unit 6 Kurnoth better 2x3.

spell for drycha verdant blessing 2 wild wood per game its so small.

but regrowth can take Branchwraith

wisdom of the ages  not bad, but if u take warsinger ur kurnot have +1 to charge

tree-revenant very usefull for mission objective (if u have this models take it)

dryad u can summon 20-30 per game.

TLA very random, drycha best (Swarm of Squirmlings can do 30+mw in horde unit).

i try this list in last week - very competiv, win 2 game and 1 10/10 in tournament

Leaders
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Trait: Warsinger 
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 60

Edited by azmarus

I find Tree-Revs to be way weaker then Dryads, especially in small games. You do not really have the room for the movement shenanigans, and they simply do not have the bodies, resilience and damage of dryads. If you already got enough bodies for objectives, and your anvil ready, okay., but this is rarely the case in small games. If you look at tournamet lists: even there is no spot for Tree-Revs, because dryads are this strong in comparison, and we just need the bodies. 

For 30 Points you get 5 wounds (and bodies) extra, extra defense near the woods, and i think you do not really loose damage, although I'd have to mathhammer that out. You loose some movement, but I think that hurts less then loosing the defence.

If I needed to go to a tournament tomorrow, I would pack:

Branchwraith

Sprit of Durthu

30x Dryads

30x Dryads or 3x Kurnoth Hunters (Swords) + 5x Spite Revs to fill the points

A lot of great feedback here, thanks. It is going to be a chill narrative tournament, so I’m not worried about being super-competative. 

Still, I’ve usually focused on playing a safe list (dryads, tla, kurnoths). My list was built on the idea that it is perhaps time to branch out (pun intended). 😜

@Ruhraffe sad to hear that about Drycha.  However, I know there will be Skaven and Goblin players there. Is her points still better spent elsewhere?

Edited by Bohemond

I find it sad myself, because I love Drychas model. But, as it is obvious from her warscroll, he scales heavily with the number of units / size of units your opponent throws at you. And both these numbers are lower in 1000 point games. 

Sure, if someone just dumps 1000 points of clan rats on the table, she is great. I guess, play some games for yourself and find out if she is worth it. Try both the flitterfurys and the squirmlings. If you are playing more narratively then competitively, it really should not matter too much. In that case, make sure to bring some Spite Revs and read some lore about her and the dreadwood/outcast batallions (pg. 54 of the battletome). Tl;dr: Noone really knows where they come from, but they are mad spites, probaly born from tainted soil. Drycha was a branchwych once in the world-that-was, and Alarielle feared her temperament, and that she would go on a rampage. But in desperation she planted her seed in a malicious environment, hoping the was the necessary darkness, the world needed, and hoped that this will make Drycha and her other children stronger. Drycha is born, and she hates everything non-sylvaneth and sings her own spiteful song; being only begrudginly loyal to alarielle. The Spite-Revs can only hear the song of war. 

So, this is perfect for a dark, angry, ripping-through-everything army, narratively speaking. 

Gameplaywise, I feel she is either a bit overcosted, or too squishy. But see for yourself. The model is amazing, and I really like her lore.  It is a big contrast to the life-giving Alarielle to the hate-everything-kill-everything Drycha, she is even considered genocidal in the battletome. 

Damn, now I want a narrative Battle: A big wargrove is in danger of being eradicated. Alarielle foresees the massacre and rushes to help, bringing a Spirit of Durhu and a trustworthy Branchwych to help. But this is not enough, so she calls for Drycha in her desperation... Damn, this could be cool.

• Like 3

Hi! This morning I had a strange ideas for a very aggressive list: putting as more kurnoth as possible, so 1000 points of kurnoth

Treelord ancient

2x branchwraith

20 driads

10 driads 

5 tree revenant

15 kurnoth all with scythe

There are still 160 points; since there isn't a warscroll battalion, I would keep them for 3 cp

The strategy is easy: control through dryads (also evocated), destroy and threat through kurnoth. 

I thought this because I always play 3 units of 3 kurnoth (total 9), and they do very much, so I am curious what would happen increasing the number

45 minutes ago, Kramig said:

Hi! This morning I had a strange ideas for a very aggressive list: putting as more kurnoth as possible, so 1000 points of kurnoth

Treelord ancient

2x branchwraith

20 driads

10 driads 

5 tree revenant

15 kurnoth all with scythe

There are still 160 points; since there isn't a warscroll battalion, I would keep them for 3 cp

The strategy is easy: control through dryads (also evocated), destroy and threat through kurnoth. 

I thought this because I always play 3 units of 3 kurnoth (total 9), and they do very much, so I am curious what would happen increasing the number

It's basicly exchanging the Durthu's and Alarielle for more Kurnoths. It doesn't seem weak and has way more wounds, better options to distribute the forces than having more single monsters too. I'd certainly take a few swords hunters though, maybe 6.. you'll be able to tailor which to send where to optimize anyway. I'd probably start the 10 dryads as 20 myself. 20 is way better and I'll hopefully summon a few groups of 10 anyway. Not sure about 2x wraith either but the spell is very good so it might even be worth it just to have one always in range of a forest ... wych is ofc the obvious alternative.

Hey everyone. Just git my tush handed to me last game with some poor positioning yesterday but it brought up some questions:

I am a 1 drop army with gnarlroot. I always take first turn so I can place my woods but this almost always leads to a very weak turn 1. I tend to just turtle up and wait for the onslaught on their turn 1. I'm out of range of most spells and it doesn't feel worth it exposing myself to risky t1 charges that would set the opponent up perfectly. But then I find my opponent often gets the first blow since Ive moved up slightly into charge range. Not to mention they get first go at the double turn, which is occasionally devastating. 

Any thoughts on going second with sylvaneth? Going second in general seemsuch stronger on aos than going first...

Alternatively, maybe with some. Endless spells I could at least do damage on my turn 1 instead of taking on a full army on their turns on the opponents t1? Or maybe more dryads just to take hits?

Other observations:

1 treelord ancients are ok but never seem to actually do that much. They are fine but a little to much a little bit of everytning and truely good at nothing...

2 dryads are amazing every game. I think I need more

3 revenants just don't much. Quite fragile for the efficacy. Maybe I just need 1 squad for the objective grab...

5 hours ago, Frowny said:

Hey everyone. Just git my tush handed to me last game with some poor positioning yesterday but it brought up some questions:

I am a 1 drop army with gnarlroot. I always take first turn so I can place my woods but this almost always leads to a very weak turn 1. I tend to just turtle up and wait for the onslaught on their turn 1. I'm out of range of most spells and it doesn't feel worth it exposing myself to risky t1 charges that would set the opponent up perfectly. But then I find my opponent often gets the first blow since Ive moved up slightly into charge range. Not to mention they get first go at the double turn, which is occasionally devastating. 

Any thoughts on going second with sylvaneth? Going second in general seemsuch stronger on aos than going first...

Alternatively, maybe with some. Endless spells I could at least do damage on my turn 1 instead of taking on a full army on their turns on the opponents t1? Or maybe more dryads just to take hits?

Other observations:

1 treelord ancients are ok but never seem to actually do that much. They are fine but a little to much a little bit of everytning and truely good at nothing...

2 dryads are amazing every game. I think I need more

3 revenants just don't much. Quite fragile for the efficacy. Maybe I just need 1 squad for the objective grab...

I agree with your "other observations" if you get  first turn you should grab objectives and hope you can defend them or you'll already have lost the game in most cases.

Had my first AoS 2k game yesterday! I brought a Dreadwood list with 4 groups of Spite-Revenants (in the battalion), a TLA, Drycha, a Treelord, Branchwych, Branchwraith, and 6 scythe Kurnoth against my buddy's Nurgle army, which has The Glottkin, a GUO, a Lord of Blights, a Harbinger of Decay, 3 units of Putrid Blightnights, and two Pusgoyle Blightlords.

My dice were real hot, but getting first turn priority, filling most everywhere with trees that blocked the movement of my opponent's big monsters, all the pre-game strategies that Dreadwood gets to use (I rolled all 3),  my opponent being slammed by my Wyldwoods on almost every spellcast, and Kurnoth being absolute brutes, the game was incredibly one-sided. I was really surprised how strong the army was, and I felt kind of like a bully with how powerful my trees were, both at blocking the movement of large models and slapping my buddies' whole army around.

We both agreed that we need to use more terrain on our tables so I can't fill it with trees next time, and I bought him a beer after he called it a game on turn 2, which was the only civil thing to do at that point. :s

Then I played a 1k list allied with another buddy's Stormcast against Nurgle, and continued to bully with my trees to a maximum degree, even with much more terrain on the table. I'm honestly surprised at how durable all my dudes are, coming from playing Wanderers so often and having to play keep-away most of the game. It's really nice to be able to charge into things with my army and expect to do damage, and have my heroes able to keep themselves and each other alive.

• Like 3

Hi Guys. Just started sylvaneth recently and need your opinion on my 1000pts list.

Treelord Ancient 

Branchwraith

20 dryards

10 Revenants

3 Hunters with sythe

Cronomatic cogs

1000/1000

Played my First Game against beastclaws and The list worked out pretty great (I think we counter beastclaws extremly good)

So what are your tipps for that list?

Best regards

Henry

21 hours ago, Frowny said:

For sure split the revenants I to 2x5. Gives you more options to infiltrate. I've also found that revenants have diminishing returns after the objective grab so you could drip 5 for an additional 10 dryads.

OK. So you would recommend playing 30 dryards in one big unit instead of 5 Revenants?

I thougt about 2×5 but 5 Revenants don't kill anything. But their main task is probably to get lonely objectives so...

Thanks for your tipps

Hello folks!  Starting a narrative campaign in my local club tomorrow and really looking forward to trying some new play styles. Its a 500pt start with 300pts of possible reinforcements. Not really much wiggle room in 500pts and i don't know what kind of armies i'll be facing or what types of games we'll have  but it should be fun. 

Think i will try this to start:

Branchwych/wraith 
Treelord 
Tree Revenants (5)
Dryads    (10 )

I'll update you all with how i get on!