AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@Ruhraffe That's a great video, thanks for posting it! That discussion about ruining movement of large models with Wyldwood tree positioning at about 2 hours in is something I hadn't really thought about, but given that you can't move your dudes through terrain, it's some really taxing things to think about. Something to practice!

Glad to see that it doesn't seem to be Durthu or nothing at the high end, also - though honestly I'll probably make one in case I don't want to run Alarielle at 2500 for some reason.

Well, Durthu is as they said a combat beast, especially when he is in a wyldwood due to his bonus attacks. Most lists I play I try to put him in. On his 0-2 wound bracket he just rips through units, especially with alarielles command ability. In my opinion he is worth his points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Hey y’all! 

Just looking a trying different lists that would be fun to play ( outside of my standard Dreadwood) again. Could be competitive also! hopefully they’re good  

Ive sort of wanted to focus on using Durthu and Dryads... lots of dryads. And not restrict myself to any do the Revs or big monsters

Let me know what you think! 

Harvestboon list

E8155AC8-32D7-4F62-A6C5-58C57BE63DD2.jpeg.906ec80f47b9b3ff4618b1d470b15d9c.jpeg

[...]

Played almost exactly this list on Sunday. The only thing I did different was "splitting" Ghyrstrike and Warsinger between the two Spirits. The general mobility and ability to strike wherever you want (7+ rerollable charges go a long way)is great. The benefit of excluding Alarielle from the list is that you do not have a big missle attack and spell magnet. The Spirits of Durthu can be parked in a Wyldwood (and on an objective hopefully) and be immune against a lot of "ranged" threats. Even Nagash can not reach out to them with Hand of Dust via the Spell Portal since it does not fly (he can bombard them with other, longer ranged spells, though). Blocks of 30 Dryads are just insanly durable and your opponent has to look out for Realmroot conga lines all the time. Sunday was the first time I played this list and it was vs Iron Jaws Bloodtoofs one drop. Luckily I won the "starting" roll and could consequently build up a table-wide network of Wyldwoods + alpha strike one of my opponent´s flanks. We played Scorched Earth and the mobility of this list (7+ rerollable charges really add to the "normal" mobility of other lists) was an insane advantage. The day after tomorrow we will have a re-match with the Iron Jaws going first automatically (want to test out how Sylvaneth work out in this case) - I am really excited for this since I think it will be much more of a challenge due to limited Wlydwood placement going second. 

I will keep you guys updated if you like 😅

Edited by Isotop
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey Atreyu, 

I use the 

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-grass/

I have the mousemat material one.

You can see it well on the site ( and I don't feel like unrolling mine)

I said I get you some pics of the mouse mat forest bases too, I'll just put them in here.

Those are from a 3x3 swap mat.

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-swamp/

Got 15 out of it, just drew lines around a GW base with a pen and cut just within the lines with scissors.  ( edit: wait I had another one not in the pic.. so 16.. way more than I've needed so far)

The swampy stuff sees to resemble trees quite a lot branches etc. Works for me.

1547817195500-1550349566.jpg

Edited by Aezeal
  • Like 5

Loving Syls in AoS2!

I’ve realised by branching out (pun intended) and writing different battalion lists, I’m finding different ways to play Syls competitively. In the past I’ve stuck with the one build. 
Obviously there are better builds for the meta (DWood/Winterleaf) but it’s fun to find some great combinations

So it’s unlikely I’ll look at other armies any time soon. There’s just so much to offer from this book!

13 hours ago, Atreyu said:

@Aezeal thank you for your picture. The Bases look great. Great idea i totally love it :)

Im unsure wether to get the grass mat or the muddy field mat from deepcut studios ;)

Was debating that myself at the time.  I chose grass for 2 reasons.

1. My bases are mostly grassy with some rocks, not that much mud.

2. There are wheel tracks visible in the mud. Now there are wheeled machines in AoS and there would obviously be carts and carriages outside of battles.. but still it gave me a WWII vibe. (ofc you'll not notice any of this when playing since you completely forget about the mat anf focus on terrain so it's not that important).

On 1/16/2019 at 5:47 PM, Isotop said:

Played almost exactly this list on Sunday. The only thing I did different was "splitting" Ghyrstrike and Warsinger between the two Spirits. The general mobility and ability to strike wherever you want (7+ rerollable charges go a long way)is great. The benefit of excluding Alarielle from the list is that you do not have a big missle attack and spell magnet. The Spirits of Durthu can be parked in a Wyldwood (and on an objective hopefully) and be immune against a lot of "ranged" threats. Even Nagash can not reach out to them with Hand of Dust via the Spell Portal since it does not fly (he can bombard them with other, longer ranged spells, though). Blocks of 30 Dryads are just insanly durable and your opponent has to look out for Realmroot conga lines all the time. Sunday was the first time I played this list and it was vs Iron Jaws Bloodtoofs one drop. Luckily I won the "starting" roll and could consequently build up a table-wide network of Wyldwoods + alpha strike one of my opponent´s flanks. We played Scorched Earth and the mobility of this list (7+ rerollable charges really add to the "normal" mobility of other lists) was an insane advantage. The day after tomorrow we will have a re-match with the Iron Jaws going first automatically (want to test out how Sylvaneth work out in this case) - I am really excited for this since I think it will be much more of a challenge due to limited Wlydwood placement going second. 

I will keep you guys updated if you like 😅

Unfortunately, Nagash CAN fly, so we're not really safe. On the other hand- we can hide Bowhunters in woods and shoot him, ignoring other enemy units.

Phew! I finally caught up! Spent the best part of the last few weeks reading the old discussion and this one. Had such a great experience reading up on all your discussions and battle reports. Been fascinating seeing all the different lists being tested and watching the meta change and everyone adapting.

I have been collecting Sylvaneth for a while now but only been playing since roughly AoS2 launched. Just a few games under my belt as the AoS scene in Cork (Ireland) is quite small but i hope to start contributing here and not just lurking!  

Thanks for all the great advice up to now guys!

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 9:49 PM, Heksagon said:

Unfortunately, Nagash CAN fly, so we're not really safe. On the other hand- we can hide Bowhunters in woods and shoot him, ignoring other enemy units.

I just realized that Hand of Dust does not even need line of sight. However, the point I was mentioning applies to every spell he wants to throw through the Umbral Spell Portal that requires line of sight. Since the Spell Portal is not flying, Nagash has to be in range himself when we hide a model in a Wyldwood.

Edited by Isotop

Last weekend I played the aforementioned match vs Ironjaws using the Harvestboon double Durthu list. We played Focal Points and my opponent was provided the first turn. His list was:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

During deployment I basically braced for impact. I positioned both units of 30 Dryads in front of my army and put the Spirits of Durthu and the Kurnoth Hunters directly behind them.

My opponent used Waaagh! two times (resulting in +2 attacks, no sixes rolled) and charged my front line with the Ardboys, the Mawcrusha and one unit of Pigs. I lost around 25 Dryads in total and killed 3 or 4 Ardboys and a single Pig. The key moment in this first turn was the Spirit of Durthu with Ghyrstrike attacking the Mawchrusha and dealing 0 dmg - I had no Wyldwood next to him and therefore he "only" had 3 attacks 2+/2+/-2/6. The Mawchrusha with Ironclad still has a 4+ armor safe in this instant and succeeded on all of them, which was a shame. My opponent scored 4 points.

My first turn consisted of some Wyldwood and Realmroots shenanigans and trying to kill off the Mawchrusha. After the dust settled the Mawchrusha was left standing with 4 or 5 wounds (2 Spirits of Durthu shooting, 2 Kurnoth Hunters melee, 1 Spirit of Durthu with Ghyrstrike next to a Wyldwood melee). The second Spirit of Durthu was clogged with Ardboys (not much was happening here since the Spirit suffered 3 mortal wounds via a Realmscape feature). As mentioned, Dryads teleport on one of the outer objectives, outnumbering a single Warchanter parked there. I score 4 points.

My opponent wins the roll-off and goes to work. Short version: The Gyrstrike-Spirit and the Kurnoth Hunters get killed, the other Spirit survives with 4 or 5 wounds. Some Dryads and Ardboys and Pigs are plinged off. My opponent holds the central objective (Warchanter and Brutes) and one of the objectives near his deployment zone - he scores 3 points.

All I can do at this point is picking up as many victory points as dryadly possible. My opponent left one of his obectives alone and a Branchwraith is able to summon a unit of Dryads onto it (my starting Wyldwood reaches from my deployment zone to his). I leave the second Dryad on one of my objectives, holding it vs the Mawcrusha and teleport the rest of the Dryad unit also stationed there into the same Wyldwood I just summoned the new unit in. I am able to conga line the unit all the way to the central objective (but they still have to succeed in charging the Warchanter there). The first (summoning) Branchwraith follows up to have the re-roll on the charge. I make the 8+ charge on the re-roll and take control of the central objective. The Spirit of Durthu fighting with the Ardboys fails to kill enough of them and I just tie my opponent on this objective. I score 6 points.

I win the roll-off for the third turn and go first. The Spirit of Durthu finally dies. All Dryads retreat and hold objectives. I score 6 points.

My opponent starts gobbling up Dryads all over the place and takes back most of the objectives. He scores 6 points.

The score is 16/13 in my favor but I have basically nothing left for the last two turns of the game. We estimate he would take nearly a full score in turn 4 and 5 and call the it there. 

I am a bit in a hurry, so my evaluation of this game will follow later this night or tomorrow. I hope the report is not too messed up. I look forward to a possible discourse with you folk.

• Like 3

Been looking at trying to get a decent 1500 list by paring down the standard 2000 lists. I'd also like to use Alarielle, but obviously I'm quickly going to start running out of room. The most obvious that seemed to fit was Harvestboon, as she just fits into the standard Harvestboon template:

Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
Forest Folk (140)
Harvestboon Wargrove (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Total: 1490 / 1500
Wounds: 76

With lack of other stuff, my plan would be to get Alarielle in the centre spamming the board, whilst the Dryads take objectives and protect the queen. Mostly defensive/control work. Sadly with this list I waste an artefact and can only fit 30points of endless spells - Shackles seemed the best for defensive playing. And I'm not going to get much use out of the Harvestboon +1 charging.

Iterating on this, I wondered about dropping Harvestboon, but keeping forest folk, giving me 100 extra points to play with.....

Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
Forest Folk (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Total: 1490 / 1500
Wounds: 81

I've lost an artefact I wasn't using and the +1 charges/runs on Dryads I didn't think I needed, but also a command point, and the extra summoning on Branchwraiths. I'm now 4 drops..... which I'm hoping will be enough to get me first turn, but that's a risk (I'm not quite sure how many other armies will run battalions at 1500.  If they don't I'm almost certainly fine). 

But in return I get a branchwych with vortex that will spam 9" reaping and 15" spites on anything that comes near. Cool, but not sure if it's worth the first turn risk.

Anyone think these are viable?

6 hours ago, azmarus said:

hi, somedoby do branchwrath conversion or see alternative model. I have 1 from gw, but second want somfing diffrent. 

can u give me advice or link? )

I'm making one out of spare Sylvaneth pieces. Just need to finish painting and I'll post it here in the next few days.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:05 AM, rosa said:

Me too!

Any ideas are very welcome

I'd say using a dryads or branchwych and do something with greenstuff making a cape or something and add a bunch of spites. I've not done this (never tried greenstuff) but I'd say that should make something fitting. Maybe something in the hands which resembles some priestly artefact (something NOT a weapon mainly) or something which resembles some acorn or other nature thing (I'm using some odd roundish dried plant stuff on my bases which would fit for example).

Hi everyone! This might be a silly questions, but I've been looking around and haven't seen anything about it (having a cold might not help either). Can you give an artefact to heroes you add using the wargroves? They will have to be realm artefacts, of course, but is it an option as they wouldn't count as allies? Nobody seems to be doing it but I though I should check just in case.  Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Izotzuhure said:

Hi everyone! This might be a silly questions, but I've been looking around and haven't seen anything about it (having a cold might not help either). Can you give an artefact to heroes you add using the wargroves? They will have to be realm artefacts, of course, but is it an option as they wouldn't count as allies? Nobody seems to be doing it but I though I should check just in case.  Thanks! 

Hi. Additional non-sylvaneth heroes counts as allies (it's been FAQued), and Allies, unfortunately can't take any Artifacts, even Realm Artifacts.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Wait, which FAQ was that exactly?

"Q: A Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove can include an ORDER WIZARD, and a Sylvaneth Winterleaf Wargrove can include an ORDER unit. Are such units allies?

A: Yes they are. However, because they are part of a Sylvaneth warscroll battalion, they do not count towards the number of allied units you can include in a Sylvaneth army, and their points will not count against the number of points spent on allied units for a Sylvaneth army in a Pitched Battle. Note that although they don’t count against these limits, for all other rules purposes they are treated as being allied units, and therefore can’t be given artefacts of power, know spells from its spell lores, and so on."

(https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Core-Rules-and-Bases-Sizes-EN.pdf, page 8 top right corner)

Edited by Isotop
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Isotop said:

"Q: A Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove can include an ORDER WIZARD, and a Sylvaneth Winterleaf Wargrove can include an ORDER unit. Are such units allies?

A: Yes they are. However, because they are part of a Sylvaneth warscroll battalion, they do not count towards the number of allied units you can include in a Sylvaneth army, and their points will not count against the number of points spent on allied units for a Sylvaneth army in a Pitched Battle. Note that although they don’t count against these limits, for all other rules purposes they are treated as being allied units, and therefore can’t be given artefacts of power, know spells from its spell lores, and so on."

(https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Core-Rules-and-Bases-Sizes-EN.pdf, page 8 top right corner)

I knew what this meant in effect (the no artefact and spells part), I  though you meant you couldn't take hero's as the order unit in several battalions in addition to that in some new FAQ.