AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

23 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

the up to 3 bit seems crazy, so as long as you can fit 1 you're good. But this also means that you have the option of getting more coverage in more open spaces. and that you can just cover the opponents deployment zone with them with the free wyldwood at the start of the game, provided you get the deployment choice of course. the only way to deny objectives from being covered is to get first turn and hope you can run guys up to them first which seems difficult for slower armies like LoN. Now i see why so many people find sylvaneth to be super competitive

Usually it's hard for me to even play a 2nd forest of more than one base if there is some terrain on the table. 

On 12/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

the up to 3 bit seems crazy, so as long as you can fit 1 you're good. But this also means that you have the option of getting more coverage in more open spaces. and that you can just cover the opponents deployment zone with them with the free wyldwood at the start of the game, provided you get the deployment choice of course. the only way to deny objectives from being covered is to get first turn and hope you can run guys up to them first which seems difficult for slower armies like LoN. Now i see why so many people find sylvaneth to be super competitive

Play with terrain. We still use the terrain generation table from the first AOS rules. We found that pretty balanced for sylvaneth and other armies.

Yes a single Wyldwood is up to 3 citadel wood bases, all bases have to be within 1" of each other wood base. The Sylvaneth allegiance Wyldwood, the brought on to the table by Acorn of the Ages and summoned by Verdant Blessing have to be 1" away from terrain and models. The Treelord Ancient's wood has to be 3" away from terrain and models.

From playing a fair few games with Sylvaneth and attending CrimBOBO, 3 separate woods is what seems to be the most I get in 80% of the games. Normally 2 with 2 bases and 1 with 3. Normally leaves me 1 more base for a separate 1 base wood somewhere purely for teleportation. 10 pieces of scenery is also fairly common for AoS tables. 

1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

I have 8, I think one more would be the most I would ever need. 8 tend to cover all of the crucial areas of the board, the 9th would be a solo base normally on a fringe part of the table for some janky movement.

I agree with this as I have 5 currently but feel need more , unfortunately won’t have anymore before this weekends tournament 

6 minutes ago, Die Gruenhaut said:

Okay, i have 5, so i need to get 3 more. 

Another question:   did someone have a painting guide?  i wanna do some snow / winter sheme on my sylvaneth.  grey/blue/ icey sheme.  

Just use a Xerox :)

I sincerely hope that Wyldwoods will change soon. They are far too complicated.

They are my biggest worry getting more into sylvaneth. They are more expensive than actually getting the army! And see very hard to transport since they are quite bulky. I'm thinking of buying one and some mousepad material and cutting out several other bases. Possibly magnetize some trees on there so I can transport them more easily.

9 hours ago, Frowny said:

They are my biggest worry getting more into sylvaneth. They are more expensive than actually getting the army! And see very hard to transport since they are quite bulky. I'm thinking of buying one and some mousepad material and cutting out several other bases. Possibly magnetize some trees on there so I can transport them more easily.

I did the mousemat thing and it works great. I got 16 bases out of a 3 x 3 mat (I advice the swamp mat from deepcutstudios). I just drew the circle on there... I mean.. if you put trees on there it'll still be a ****** to transport.

Hi there! I want to try out dreadwood soon and need some opinions for the list I amateurishly built:

LEADERS

Drycha Hamadreth (280) - Regrowth, Colony of Flitterfurys

Branchwraith (80) - Acorn of the Ages, Throne of Vines

Spirit of Durthu (380) - General (Gnarled Warrior), Gyhrstrike

UNITS

9 x Kurnoth Hunters (600) - Scythes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) - Greatbows

4x5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

BATTALIONS

Dreadwood Wargrove (90) Outcasts (90)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 107

I tried to get Alarielle into the mix, but could not find the room for her 600 pt.

The Kurnoth Hunters should be repositioned 6'' in front of the enemy with one of the stratagems. If I roll well, drycha and the spirit can advance with the second stratagem in round 1. The branchwraith hangs back with her throne and tries to churn out dryads to help the spites capture objectives while the hunters, drycha and durthu keep the opponent busy on the frontline. 

Any ideas for improvement? I will play mostly against tzeentch and chaos mortals, as that are my friends armies.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:39 AM, Aezeal said:

I did the mousemat thing and it works great. I got 16 bases out of a 3 x 3 mat (I advice the swamp mat from deepcutstudios). I just drew the circle on there... I mean.. if you put trees on there it'll still be a ****** to transport.

I wanted to do this. May I ask how you cut the mat up? Just scissors? 

My approach to buying wyldwoods was to buy 1 extra base every time I went and bought more models. This spreads the cost out so you don't notice too much.

The Vale Of Gyhran makes things cheaper...... but now you do notice the sudden cost of having to buy 4 woods in one drop and the box is HUGE.  Also, you end up with 12, probably a few more than you need - overall, you'll probably spend the same amount of money but end up with more plastic at the end. Stupid GW pricing strategies :)

8 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Out of interest in what way do you think they're too complicated?

I think they are way to hard to place, and if you play them like the rules are written, they can really block movement and slow down game-play and they are expensive in real money. I think GW have done much better with terrain specific buffs and rules in later battletomes.

Thanks for asking. :)

Edited by Nixon
I forgot to mention that they are really expensive as well

12 hours ago, Nixon said:

I think they are way to hard to place, and if you play them like the rules are written, they can really block movement and slow down game-play and they are expensive in real money. I think GW have done much better with terrain specific buffs and rules in later battletomes.

Thanks for asking. :)

In what way hard to place, 1" away from terrain and within 1" of each other doesn't seem too complicated to my self but I suppose they are not "place them anywhere". 

They do block movement but that can be used as a advantage to us, bottlenecking opponents units or using to block a area off from a big monster. I can't argue they slow the down game as I suppose they do. 

They are costly and are a tax on the army money wise, no argument!

Hey guys, I made a cheat sheet for my self and wanted to share it with you a while back. A very kind fellow has spruced it up and made it look amazing!

Printer friendly version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ga5x1hiwtjRUFzqcAe0BeaX6Kh__PKK8/view?fbclid=IwAR1IBiImUcBQeCy3SKLLqiWghzlCJUeh1TUjZzo4FA2J_OLW6OwZp6332ic

Very fancy version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/16sfwsczV_uSNnr44LiIUg69kTzQtKQdl/view?fbclid=IwAR3GwTmMueKSsDzxwP7Xz9lByqhzv2fNPa35IUq09LF-VqwEYB2CL7dB5Mo

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Hey guys, I made a cheat sheet for my self and wanted to share it with you a while back. A very kind fellow has spruced it up and made it look amazing!

Printer friendly version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ga5x1hiwtjRUFzqcAe0BeaX6Kh__PKK8/view?fbclid=IwAR1IBiImUcBQeCy3SKLLqiWghzlCJUeh1TUjZzo4FA2J_OLW6OwZp6332ic

Very fancy version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/16sfwsczV_uSNnr44LiIUg69kTzQtKQdl/view?fbclid=IwAR3GwTmMueKSsDzxwP7Xz9lByqhzv2fNPa35IUq09LF-VqwEYB2CL7dB5Mo

Thank you very much is an amazing job will come in handy at tournament tomorrow

Random question, and I think I know the answer given the White Dwarf track record on these things.

In the latest White Dwarf, the player uses a Gnarlroot wargrove, which he has paid the points for, but he hasn't listed the points for the Household battalion that's part of the wargrove.

Am I right in thinking that he should have paid the points for both?

1 minute ago, sishuttleworth said:

Random question, and I think I know the answer given the White Dwarf track record on these things.

In the latest White Dwarf, the player uses a Gnarlroot wargrove, which he has paid the points for, but he hasn't listed the points for the Household battalion that's part of the wargrove.

Am I right in thinking that he should have paid the points for both?

Yes, you are 100% right :)