Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Recommended Posts

Hey guys!

I'm really new to AoS, wargaming and Sylvaneth. Painted a few Nighthaunt and Ironjawz but my heart lies in the woods, so I'm starting Sylvaneth to actually play with. I've got a box of Dryads (my paint test subjects) and have a Start Collecting on the way to start with. I don't imagine I'll be competing anytime soon, but just for my satisfaction, I'd like to aim for a 1000 point list first.  I've not met any other players here yet, and don't know who I'll be up against. I've been through this thread and others and tried to piece together what I can, so I hope this isn't ridiculous!

 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth - Mortal Realm: Ghyran

LEADERS

Treelord Ancient (300) - General - Command Trait : Gift of Ghyran - Artefact : The Oaken Armour - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

UNITS

20 x Dryads (200)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Scythes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Greatbows

5 x Tree-Revenants (80) ENDLESS SPELLS

Quicksilver Swords (20)

 

TOTAL: 1000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 20 WOUNDS: 67

 

(Plus a buttload of trees)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings, dear Tree-Things, Wood-Things, Flower-Things and Floral-Things,

I'm a Starter of Age of Sigmar (and I don't play Sylvaneth, but the Buddy, I start playing with is) and I wonder, what happend to the Sylvaneth Wyldwood within the Warscroll Builder. The whole Section "Scenery" (or so) seems to have gone (althoug the Balehting Vortex is now within Endless Spells). Can anyone explain to me, why the Wyldwoods have disappeared from the Warscroll Builder?

Thanks a lot-lot in advance, yes-yes!

Edited by Filius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, puffinchunks said:

Hey guys!

Really solid list in my opinion especially for a 1000 points game. The only negative thing I can see is the lack of woods summon. TLC only summons one on a +4 with a pretty harsh restriction but I guess in a 1k game that won't be that big of an issue. If you plan on expanding this list make sure to add some low cost spellcasters to help. 

43 minutes ago, Filius said:

Can anyone explain to me, why the Wyldwoods have disappeared from the Warscroll Builder? 

I did not see any official statements about this but in my understanding they were removed because of the new summoning rules. Everything that is summonable has become free and lost it's point cost. As the woods were free for Sylvaneth players the only reason they were in the warscroll builder is because of the Treelord Ancient's summoning ability. If you took an Ancient as an ally you could summon woods and you needed x amount of points in reserve to place them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lhw said:

@scrubyandwells Such slander. I'm just a really nice, all round good guy. Got an award to prove it and all. Alarielle, and the rest of the army, look incredible. Needs more dryads though 😉

Some of us still have ethical standards and refuse to play Sylvaneth as a Dryad-horde army, your multiple top 5 finishes be damned. 😜

Edited by scrubyandwells
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Some of us still have ethical standards and refuse to play Sylvaneth as a Dryad-horde army, your multiple top 5 finishes be damned. 😜

My 35 model AoS 1 Sylvaneth army is now a 74 model Sylvaneth army... I do feel kind of dirty for taking this route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, puffinchunks said:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth - Mortal Realm: Ghyran

LEADERS

Treelord Ancient (300) - General - Command Trait : Gift of Ghyran - Artefact : The Oaken Armour - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

UNITS

20 x Dryads (200)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Scythes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Greatbows

5 x Tree-Revenants (80) ENDLESS SPELLS

Quicksilver Swords (20)

 

TOTAL: 1000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 20 WOUNDS: 67

This list should be quite strong, even with the lack of wyldwood summoning. In my experience, at 1000 points it is already a struggle to kill a selfhealing TLA, and the Hunters will do their fair share as well. There may be a problem with loosing on objectives if you have your dryads in one big blob opposed to 2 smaller, even if the 20-blob gets the save-throw buff. Another option would be throwing out the tree revs and the spell and getting another 10 dryads in the mix. I am not too fond of the revenants, especially in smaller games. There are just not enough angles and the map is too small to play out their mobility. For frontal crashes dryads have a way sturdier face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

This list should be quite strong, even with the lack of wyldwood summoning. In my experience, at 1000 points it is already a struggle to kill a selfhealing TLA, and the Hunters will do their fair share as well. There may be a problem with loosing on objectives if you have your dryads in one big blob opposed to 2 smaller, even if the 20-blob gets the save-throw buff. Another option would be throwing out the tree revs and the spell and getting another 10 dryads in the mix. I am not too fond of the revenants, especially in smaller games. There are just not enough angles and the map is too small to play out their mobility. For frontal crashes dryads have a way sturdier face.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to delay buying the spell and revenants and use the 30 dryads (20 and 10) I already have for now, like you've mentioned. Pretty happy with that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, romhi said:

 

I did not see any official statements about this but in my understanding they were removed because of the new summoning rules. Everything that is summonable has become free and lost it's point cost. As the woods were free for Sylvaneth players the only reason they were in the warscroll builder is because of the Treelord Ancient's summoning ability. If you took an Ancient as an ally you could summon woods and you needed x amount of points in reserve to place them.

Ah, right! The new summoning Rules! I haven't bought the new Generals Handbook yet, and  didn't think about them. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok .... Just getting into sylvaneth and trying to figure out what to buy next

 

So far

1x tree Lord ancient

1x branchwraith

1x branchwych

29x dryads ( used one for converting...)

10 tree revenants

 

I guess the next step would be some kurnoth hunters? More dryads? Alternatively allarielle looks really fun to paint although probably doesn't bring much until I have a bigger army.

 

Thanks for any help

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again.  I just finished painting my 1000k list which included: 

- Drycha 

- Branchwraith 

- 30x Dryads (20/10) 

- 3x hunters (Swords) 

- 5x Tree-Revenants 

- Endless spell: Cogs 

Comes out at 1000p sharp. My question now is: How do i expand this to 2000p? 

I am aware that there are alot of routes to take from here. However, I want a list that has the following points in mind: 

- Relativley "easy" to play since I'm new with the army. So maybe not the trickiest army list for a beginner. (What batalions would you use with this in mind?) 

- A list that includes most of the units mentioned above. 

- A list that is more leaned towards competitive play. (Does not have to be a min-max list, but somewhat viable in your experience) 

 

If you think there is more then 1 viable route to take, by all means, share. My goal is to have a 2000p army painted by the end of this yeah. All your help will be greatly appriciated! 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kimbo,

I think you could quite easily round out your 2k list from here with just a Start Collecting Box (& run a fairly simple Gnarlroot List). Hear me out:

Start collecting will give you a Tree Lord Ancient (300 points), Branch Wych (80) and another set of Dryads (10). Then you’ll need to take the Household (100) and Gnarlroot (130) battalions to round out the list (+710 points in total). Then you’ll have c300 points left to include either another wizard, set of hunters, or some endless spells.

There are plenty of good examples of Gnarlroot on this thread, but as a base line you’d have:

---

TLA – General with Command Trait and Artefact, casting 2 spells for Gnarlroot

Branch Wych – Artefact, casting 2 spells for Gnarlroot

Branch Wraith- Artefact, casting 2 spells for Gnarlroot

Drycha

Dryads x30

Dryads x10

Tree Revs x5

Hunters x3 (or x6 if you get another box, with scythes and bows being just as fun and viable)

+ a couple of Endless spells (you have COGS already, but I also like Geminids, Pendulum, Shackles and Swords for Gnarlroot - just pick your favourite couple)

---

You can round out the list with Hunters/Dryads/BranchWraith as you see fit to use up the remaining points, I’d suggest playing around with war scroll builder, but you can’t really go wrong with the above as the core units in the army and flex the rest depending on your own preference.

It’s a relatively completive list, magic heavy with good mortal wound output, and probably the easiest to paint and play there is for Sylvaneth (once you remember all of the tree interactions). Would definitely suggest rocking up with at least 6 wyldwoods for 2k, and investing in deepwood spells and artefacts that get you turn 1 trees on the table that can be roused by all the magic you’ll have going on (i.e Verdant Blessing with casting buffs, & Acron of Ages)

 Other options would be Winterleaf, Harvestbloom, Dreadwood, but I would argue these are harder to play (needs more in depth deployment and movement) and also require some of the bigger heros such as Allarialle and Durthu to be viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Frowny As above, you could also run a similar Gnarlroot list base on what you have so far.

I personally like Drycha in Gnarlroot, but you definitely dont need her if you dont want her.

3-4 sets of hunters work just as well, as does beefing out the dryad or wizard contingent.

Allarile is a beast and works in any list (even gnarllroot in place of hunters/drycha), i wouldn't worry about waiting for a bigger army to get her if you are a confident painter - you'll need some of the units she summons to get the most benefit out of her though, but a box of dryads or hunters can fix that quite quickly.

Edited by JP1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lhw said:

My 35 model AoS 1 Sylvaneth army is now a 74 model Sylvaneth army... I do feel kind of dirty for taking this route. 

Just some friendly ribbing my friend. ;-D 74 models is on the lower end compared to quite a few armies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So BOBO is this weekend and Gnarlroot will be getting it's time in the sun, after that it's time to move onto the next wargrove.

Harvestboon is what I want to try, it seems suited to the realms, can pull of off a solid alpha and the bonus to casting seems solid. Here is what I will test first off - 

Alarielle - Throne of Vines
Branchwraith - Warsinger, Acorn of the Ages, Dwellers Below 
Branchwraith - Ranus, Verdant Blessing
Branchwraith - Aetherquarts Brooch, Regrowth 

30 Dryads
10 Dryads
10 Dryads

6 Hunters, Scythes

Forest Folk
Harvestboon 

The wraith with dwellers and acorn will be what I slingshot via woods or FF movement to send the hunters into a key unit, for a 7" charge with Harvestboon & Warsinger.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to figure out a 2000 list myself, and may go Harvestboon too. Couple of questions for everyone

1) Durthu vs Drycha - who is most useful?

Both are beasts. Drycha is a lot cheaper with killer shooting.... but you can't give her Ghyrstrike or any other artefact.

So, let's say you've got a left over artefact to use in your list and nowhere else to place it. Which would you spend 380 points on:

  • Durthu with Ghyrstrike 
  • Drycha  + Branchw(ych/raith) with an artefact + 20 points to spend elsewhere
  • Drycha + 10 Dryads (probably bumping up another dryad unit) + loose the artefact!

 

2) Is a second or third Branchwraith always better than a Branchwych? On paper the Branchwych spell sounds like it's going to be a killer, but I've always had lacklustre results - a cast of 10 is only going to do roughly 1.5 mortals. And Dwellers Below is similar enough.

 

3) Is anyone choosing Tree Revenants (except for those taking Gnarlroot or Ironbark)? Great for scoring objective points, but they need keeping alive until then, which usually means staying out of combat.

 

4) Drycha (with Reaping or Dwellers Below) on a Balewind Vortex in the centre of the board - a waste of points or a 2 spell + shooting nightmare? Add in a Branchw(ych/raith) keeping her healed with regrowth. And Remember that against some armies Primal terror is impossible to score any damage (1D6 + 2 is always less than Death's bravery of 10).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lhw can you tell us how the "using Navigate Realmroots on freshly summoned units"-topic is handled on (big) tournaments? There was quite a confusion about it in the recent past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played my final practice BOBO game last night. Gnarlroot v Legion of Azgorh at 2k, got a solid scenario win on Battle for the pass. I gave him turn one as he couldn't punish me for it, proceeded do a fair bit of chip damage with Bows, TLA Shooting, Geminids, Swords, TLA spell & exploding woods. Navigate realmroots movement allowed me to crush the left flank and use my dryads on the right flank to hold the objectives. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Trying to figure out a 2000 list myself, and may go Harvestboon too. Couple of questions for everyone

1) Durthu vs Drycha - who is most useful?

Both are beasts. Drycha is a lot cheaper with killer shooting.... but you can't give her Ghyrstrike or any other artefact.

So, let's say you've got a left over artefact to use in your list and nowhere else to place it. Which would you spend 380 points on:

  • Durthu with Ghyrstrike 
  • Drycha  + Branchw(ych/raith) with an artefact + 20 points to spend elsewhere
  • Drycha + 10 Dryads (probably bumping up another dryad unit) + loose the artefact!

 

2) Is a second or third Branchwraith always better than a Branchwych? On paper the Branchwych spell sounds like it's going to be a killer, but I've always had lacklustre results - a cast of 10 is only going to do roughly 1.5 mortals. And Dwellers Below is similar enough.

 

3) Is anyone choosing Tree Revenants (except for those taking Gnarlroot or Ironbark)? Great for scoring objective points, but they need keeping alive until then, which usually means staying out of combat.

 

4) Drycha (with Reaping or Dwellers Below) on a Balewind Vortex in the centre of the board - a waste of points or a 2 spell + shooting nightmare? Add in a Branchw(ych/raith) keeping her healed with regrowth. And Remember that against some armies Primal terror is impossible to score any damage (1D6 + 2 is always less than Death's bravery of 10).

 

 

1) Both have their limitations. I think probs just about Durthu, but it really depends on the rest of list. Harvest does tend to suit Durthu more, with the benefits to charging.

2) Normally, yes. I also like the Wych's spell, but now the Wraith is just better. That -1 to hit is nice too.

3) I have once or twice. They are there to sit on the edge of the board and wait until end game to jump across the battlefield to turn the tide in your favour. If you have a small gap, then yes. 

4) Can Drycha sit on a Vortex? Think she has too many wounds.

7 hours ago, Isotop said:

@Lhw can you tell us how the "using Navigate Realmroots on freshly summoned units"-topic is handled on (big) tournaments? There was quite a confusion about it in the recent past. 

I've always played it they can't. Both count as their move, so you can't have two things counting for the same thing, if that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

Played my final practice BOBO game last night. Gnarlroot v Legion of Azgorh at 2k, got a solid scenario win on Battle for the pass. I gave him turn one as he couldn't punish me for it, proceeded do a fair bit of chip damage with Bows, TLA Shooting, Geminids, Swords, TLA spell & exploding woods. Navigate realmroots movement allowed me to crush the left flank and use my dryads on the right flank to hold the objectives. 

 

You big gambler giving T1 away. Good work. Looking forward to seeing/hearing how you do this weekend mate. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lhw said:

1) Both have their limitations. I think probs just about Durthu, but it really depends on the rest of list. Harvest does tend to suit Durthu more, with the benefits to charging.

2) Normally, yes. I also like the Wych's spell, but now the Wraith is just better. That -1 to hit is nice too.

3) I have once or twice. They are there to sit on the edge of the board and wait until end game to jump across the battlefield to turn the tide in your favour. If you have a small gap, then yes. 

4) Can Drycha sit on a Vortex? Think she has too many wounds.

I've always played it they can't. Both count as their move, so you can't have two things counting for the same thing, if that makes sense. 

You big gambler giving T1 away. Good work. Looking forward to seeing/hearing how you do this weekend mate. 

Well I mean, if he pushed out so far to deny my woods I would of just killed the bull centaurs / kadi for doing so, as the little dwarves couldn't run nearly fast enough to deny me the woods. I also deployed out of all his shooting range bar one very average warmachine, so there almost no downside to going second.

On top of that he had to put models in the centre-ish to control the objectives means my endless spells, TLA shooting was in range and it allowed me to put a wood down that allowed me to explode it via TLA spell and catch a bunch of stuff! 

Against armies I know will cover the board I will nearly always take first, but there's so many advantages of taking second it's hard to give up when I can do so without really being punished. Most of the time even if I take second I will often give  the opponent the first turn / want them to take it, as I get to move the geminids again and dryads at -2 to hit are tough to shift, or Kurnoth at -1 to hit and re-rolling armor saves in cover, etc.

Really hope we can grab a drink and chat man, would love to meet the most sporting person in AoS in the flesh ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of weeks  to my first tournament at Kirton hoping to represent us ok. Only few more models till finished painting. Question is anyone set theirselves big targets on painting to achieve for an event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lhw said:

 4) Can Drycha sit on a Vortex? Think she has too many wounds.

Thanks!

Oh ******... didn't notice that - Vortex isn't allowed for anything 9 wounds or more. That restricts it to the Branch*s then. Glad I didn't order one now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was hoping you all would give me your thoughts on these two lists. I’ve played Dreadwood religiously and I’ve done quite well with it. I’d now like to branch out ;) 

Gnarlroot

2ACA66CC-F7CA-42DE-9F3D-BC8D4E8AF847.jpeg.40dd7fd8f179d951b5e60d2f093ea5c0.jpeg

The goal behind this is to setup a big default wood, acorn a wood, summon a wood - in optimum locations. Drop my 30 dryad unit in a large wood in front of what I think will come at me hardest. Alarielle summons 20 dryads into the other wood. Branchwraith summons 10 dryads into the other wood. Sistersof the Thorn buff the most viable dryad unit

its very much of the stall game - id say it plays most similarly to death in a way. 

I probably should drop Alarielle for some stronger units but I love the model and her abilities so I’ll try to make this work 

 

The other I’d like to try is Winterleaf (even though my Syls are a firery autumn theme)

CBBB85AA-B654-4CF6-A67B-84D51C17DC6B.jpeg.a50469d2d6b5d8368fda62eedc26c69e.jpeg

The idea behind this one is just dryads in ya face. Deploy everything defensively. Do all  3 different wood placements. Cast throne of vines, cast cogs. Then redeploy all my dryads, in woods, in yo face with the general behind the main block. They then only have to make a 6” charge with a cp reroll. 

 

I look forward to teating these lists out and will let you all know how they go. In the meantime, I’d like to know what y’all think and ways the lists could be better optimised 

cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

 

I was hoping you all would give me your thoughts on these two lists. I’ve played Dreadwood religiously and I’ve done quite well with it. I’d now like to branch out ;) 

Gnarlroot

2ACA66CC-F7CA-42DE-9F3D-BC8D4E8AF847.jpeg.40dd7fd8f179d951b5e60d2f093ea5c0.jpeg

The goal behind this is to setup a big default wood, acorn a wood, summon a wood - in optimum locations. Drop my 30 dryad unit in a large wood in front of what I think will come at me hardest. Alarielle summons 20 dryads into the other wood. Branchwraith summons 10 dryads into the other wood. Sistersof the Thorn buff the most viable dryad unit

its very much of the stall game - id say it plays most similarly to death in a way. 

I probably should drop Alarielle for some stronger units but I love the model and her abilities so I’ll try to make this work 

 

The other I’d like to try is Winterleaf (even though my Syls are a firery autumn theme)

CBBB85AA-B654-4CF6-A67B-84D51C17DC6B.jpeg.a50469d2d6b5d8368fda62eedc26c69e.jpeg

The idea behind this one is just dryads in ya face. Deploy everything defensively. Do all  3 different wood placements. Cast throne of vines, cast cogs. Then redeploy all my dryads, in woods, in yo face with the general behind the main block. They then only have to make a 6” charge with a cp reroll. 

 

I look forward to teating these lists out and will let you all know how they go. In the meantime, I’d like to know what y’all think and ways the lists could be better optimised 

cheers 

I took the second of these lists (literally exactly the same down to spell choices!) to Facehammer and came 3rd. So I think it's really good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

 

I was hoping you all would give me your thoughts on these two lists. I’ve played Dreadwood religiously and I’ve done quite well with it. I’d now like to branch out ;) 

Gnarlroot

2ACA66CC-F7CA-42DE-9F3D-BC8D4E8AF847.jpeg.40dd7fd8f179d951b5e60d2f093ea5c0.jpeg

The goal behind this is to setup a big default wood, acorn a wood, summon a wood - in optimum locations. Drop my 30 dryad unit in a large wood in front of what I think will come at me hardest. Alarielle summons 20 dryads into the other wood. Branchwraith summons 10 dryads into the other wood. Sistersof the Thorn buff the most viable dryad unit

its very much of the stall game - id say it plays most similarly to death in a way. 

I probably should drop Alarielle for some stronger units but I love the model and her abilities so I’ll try to make this work 

 

The other I’d like to try is Winterleaf (even though my Syls are a firery autumn theme)

CBBB85AA-B654-4CF6-A67B-84D51C17DC6B.jpeg.a50469d2d6b5d8368fda62eedc26c69e.jpeg

The idea behind this one is just dryads in ya face. Deploy everything defensively. Do all  3 different wood placements. Cast throne of vines, cast cogs. Then redeploy all my dryads, in woods, in yo face with the general behind the main block. They then only have to make a 6” charge with a cp reroll. 

 

I look forward to teating these lists out and will let you all know how they go. In the meantime, I’d like to know what y’all think and ways the lists could be better optimised 

cheers 

I’m using something similar to secound list. But running a frostheart Phoenix in it which can be pretty nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×