AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I was liking the look of Harvestboon for the speed and extra boost to Branchwraith summoning:

Alarielle (Regrowth)
Branchwraith (Lamentiri, Verdant Blessing)
Branchwraith (Acorn, Verdant Blessing)
Spirit of Durthu (Gnarled, Oaken)

Dryads x20
Dryads x10
Dryads x10

Kurnoth Hunters (bows)

Forest Folk
Harvestboon

1980/2000

Not sure on Spells/Artifacts since it's theorycraft at this point. Lighter on bodies, for sure, but I like the Hunters for a bit of teleporting ranged threat.

@Lhw I’m very interested as to how you play your list! 

What tactics or play style do you use?

Im a Dreadwood player (went 4-1 in my most recent tournament) so I’m all about  taking control of turn one, controlling the board and taking out a key unit :D 

Edited by Lanoss

3 hours ago, Requizen said:

I was liking the look of Harvestboon for the speed and extra boost to Branchwraith summoning:

Alarielle (Regrowth)
Branchwraith (Lamentiri, Verdant Blessing)
Branchwraith (Acorn, Verdant Blessing)
Spirit of Durthu (Gnarled, Oaken)

Dryads x20
Dryads x10
Dryads x10

Kurnoth Hunters (bows)

Forest Folk
Harvestboon

1980/2000

Not sure on Spells/Artifacts since it's theorycraft at this point. Lighter on bodies, for sure, but I like the Hunters for a bit of teleporting ranged threat.

Personally I don't think that Durthu is reliable enough for his points without either a Loremaster or Ghyrstrike to ensure his scant few big hits connect. It does mean giving up the 2+ AS ignore Rend -1, but you could have a more utility command trait like Warsinger instead.

• LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, Lanoss said:

@Lhw I’m very interested as to how you play your list! 

What tactics or play style do you use?

Im a Dreadwood player (went 4-1 in my most recent tournament) so I’m all about  taking control of turn one, controlling the board and taking out a key unit :D 

Basically set up shop in the woods, Alarielle sat within 6" of two, surrounded by dryads. You are on the objectives so enemy has to come to you. Use Alarielle to take out support characters, dryads to win the grind off, then in the end game alarielle can be a beast. All alongside this you have the Phoenix just being immense and debuffing everything or slowing stuff down. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 4:06 AM, Lhw said:

Basically set up shop in the woods, Alarielle sat within 6" of two, surrounded by dryads. You are on the objectives so enemy has to come to you. Use Alarielle to take out support characters, dryads to win the grind off, then in the end game alarielle can be a beast. All alongside this you have the Phoenix just being immense and debuffing everything or slowing stuff down. 

Curious what you summon most times with Allariele?  Thanks for posting about this! 

14 hours ago, jake3991 said:

Curious what you summon most times with Allariele?  Thanks for posting about this! 

It really depended, to be honest, on opponent and scenario. I think most frequent would still be dryads, just cos 20 is so good. But if playing a big monster, it would sometimes be bows, whilst if there was a lot of high armour in the opposition then I would summon scythes. In one game I even summoned a Treelord... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lhw said:

It really depended, to be honest, on opponent and scenario. I think most frequent would still be dryads, just cos 20 is so good. But if playing a big monster, it would sometimes be bows, whilst if there was a lot of high armour in the opposition then I would summon scythes. In one game I even summoned a Treelord... 

Awesome!  Allariele certainly provides some serious flexibility.  Would you mind giving us a rundown of your matchups?

I'm spitballing lists at the moment for growing my Sylvaneth force after I finish filling out my Wanderers. Right now I have a few lists based off the Outcasts battalion and Drycha, because fearbombing seems like a neat thing to do.

At the moment, I'd be looking to build a 1k force:

Drycha (DW: The Reaping) 280

Branchwraith (General, CT: Gift of Ghyran A: Ranu's Lamentiri DW: Verdant Blessing) 80

Branchwych (A: Wraithstone DW: The Dwellers Below) 80

3x 5 Spite-Revenants 70/70/70

20 Dryads 200

Outcasts Battalion 90

Endless Spell: Emerald Lifeswarm 60

My idea is to spread my forests around first turn with the Branchwraith, spirit-path summon Drycha and the Spites (depending on how fast the other army, I'd deploy them in cover instead), and use the Lifeswarm to restore my models. The Wych would join the Spites in combat to make use of the Wraithstone, Dwellers, and her combat skills, and hopefully between Drycha yelling at everyone, the Spites battalion being 2spooky, and all the bravery debuffing going down, mortal wounds will rain from the sky. As long as I can take a good fight near my Wildwood(s), I'll have great saves and magic to help me out.

Do you guys with more experience think this would work, or is trying to bravery bomb things a poor tactic?

On 11/13/2018 at 3:08 AM, jake3991 said:

Awesome!  Allariele certainly provides some serious flexibility.  Would you mind giving us a rundown of your matchups?

Of course. 

Game 1 was against Mixed Chaos, a combo of Skaven, Chaos Dwarf artillery and some cheeky Enlightened. Quite a good match up for my list, as I get to re roll hits and wounds against them of 1. Plus it was in the realm of fire, 30 Dryads with inferno blades are quite good! Ended up tabling him.

Game 2 was against a nice version of DoK, who were not Hag Narr, but the one with plus one to hit when they charge. I got a bit lucky turn 1 here. Alarielle's shooting attack did 3 wounds to Morathi before she transformed, as well as making an 8" charge with some dryads to wipe some Witch Aelves. First few turns all the dice rolls went my way, and he had terrible luck. Made it an easy win and another tabling.

Game 3 was against Mixed Order. Really mixed bunch, Phoenix, Morathi, some Fyreslayers, Arknaughts. I benefited quite a bit from it being total commitment, which meant he had to start the fyreslayers and heartrenders on the board. I gambled on one side of the board and managed to slowly grind him out, but it was an incredibly close game.  My Phoenix went up against his and ended up dying first, but Alarielle came in at the end and helped claim his objective one last time to just swing me over the edge. Incredibly close game. 

Game 4 was against another Mixed Order list, and on stream. Chris Myhill, who was playing them, I know quite well and have played round his house a few times. He's an exceptional player, so I knew it'd be tough. I managed to bunker up quite nicely turn 1, and he whiffed a bit with his griffon in his turn. I let him have the double, which was a gamble. It almost backfired when his Dragonlord managed to sneak into Alarielle. I managed to make some good saves and some of his attacks whiffed, at which point I was able to hit back, mainly through spells through Alarielle, where she killed the Dragonlord and did a lot of damage to the Griffin. Chris played it out and I never felt I had won it until I did, but the defensive nature of the list, and the speed it has end game, helped me win. 

Game 5 was against Stormcast, also on stream. My only loss of the weekend. Big sequitor blocks came at me and pinned me in my defensive set up. I focused far too much on killing his sequitors, which I did, but as a result lost sight of the fact I could auto lose turn 3. I had left myself out of position, Craig noticed it once he had won the roll off, and duly made a fool of me on live stream!

5 great games and good opponents. The lists speed is great. It lacks high rend, but the mortal wound damage through spells and alarielle tends to make up for it. Plus it's just very good at scenario play. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey guys! First post here, glad to join the community. 

I have a 1500 pts tournament soon (2 battlelines required) and I was wondering which of these two lists will work better in your opinion. I own pretty much everything except Alarielle (still in painting process) and spite revenants.  Not sure if drycha is worth it. Armies I know will be at the tournament are SCE, Tzeentch, IJ, Seraphon, Death, Khorne, Bonesplitterz, Kharadron and more. 

Thanks! 

Screenshot_20181115-125953.jpg

Screenshot_20181115-125851.jpg

Edited by frax21

Do we like Hunters with great bows? Just played my first game as sylvaneth with a small 1k force and they didn’t seem to do enough, that 4+ to hit sucks. 

Also looking for advice on how I should expand my force from here.

so far I have 

TLA

Durthu

Drycha

5x tree revs

32 dryads 

3x KH with bows 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twh30 said:

@Lhw have you thought about including geminids? For potentially extra minus 1 to hit? 

I think they're great, I just don't particularly like chucking too many points in Endless Spells. Just don't think you get it back. And really happy with the impact that cogs has on the army.

@Lhw Thanks! It's always great to get an idea of what some other players are doing.  Do you find that you are coming up short with damage output?  Or do you feel like you have just enough and the dryads are great placeholders?  I know Allariele can put down the hurt but I usually whiff with the dryads (although I run gnarlroot so no extra attacks).  

Hey dendrophiles!

Haven't been around in a while, but wanted to pop in and share some recent additions, thanks to the brilliant folks at Unlimited Colours.

The sublime Queen herself finally arrived yesterday.

Her appearance put me at ease after seeing the (seductive) abomination @Vincent Venturella created last week. That man has issues. 

Props to all of you doing the Goddess proud at tournaments of late, especially that scoundrel @LhwAnd apparently he won a sports award? Who rigged that vote?

:) 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

Edited by scrubyandwells
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@jake3991 that was my initial thought too, that I'd lack damage. The reality has been that it hasn't been an issue at all. I've had more tablings with this army than others. Dryads with the additional attacks can be surprisngly consistent, whilst Alarielle and Phoenix do quite a bit too. It's a hard one to pin down where the damage comes from, but I don't struggle with it. 

@scrubyandwells Such slander. I'm just a really nice, all round good guy. Got an award to prove it and all. Alarielle, and the rest of the army, look incredible. Needs more dryads though 😉

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2018 at 11:46 AM, Milo said:

Hi everybody, i’m gonna have a match against Daughters of Khaine, any advice about list and tactics?

Sniping the hag queens greatly reduce their effectiveness: so everything that can do so is nice (spells, shooting even with -1, spawning tree revenants from behind if the hag queens are bad positioned, etc...

Also, stacking minus to hit and wound are great: TL/TLA, dryads, phoenixes, order wizards, geminids and stuff

On 11/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, Lhw said:

Of course. 

Game 1 was against Mixed Chaos

Game 2 was against a nice version of DoK, who were not Hag Narr, but the one with plus one to hit when they charge. I got a bit lucky turn 1 here. Alarielle's shooting attack did 3 wounds to Morathi before she transformed, as well as making an 8" charge with some dryads to wipe some Witch Aelves. First few turns all the dice rolls went my way, and he had terrible luck. Made it an easy win and another tabling.

Game 3 was against Mixed Order. 

Game 4 was against another Mixed Order list, and on stream. 

Game 5 was against Stormcast, also on stream. My only loss of the weekend. Big sequitor blocks came at me and pinned me in my defensive set up. I focused far too much on killing his sequitors, which I did, but as a result lost sight of the fact I could auto lose turn 3. I had left myself out of position, Craig noticed it once he had won the roll off, and duly made a fool of me on live stream!

5 great games and good opponents. The lists speed is great. It lacks high rend, but the mortal wound damage through spells and alarielle tends to make up for it. Plus it's just very good at scenario play. 

I like your list. I was wondering on some winterleaf lists as well, and I am glad that you basically have the same point of view regarding the TL/TLA when taken outside of Gnarlroot. It is still interesting in some lists and playstyles though. 

As you have a defensive list, I assume (regarding the scenario played) that you chose to play first in order to run and sit on objectives: But for example vs a DoK list, double turn is very strong for them. Did you let the DoK go first? 

With that in mind: If you go first: With the forest folk battalion rule, in order to sit in the middle of the table, do you really think that Chronomantic cogs is still important in this list? 

Edited by Alezya

Have thought about taking the treelord ancient out of my winterleaf army. Replacing him by making a unit of dryads into 20 branchwych and few endless spells. Any suggestions on spells?  Here is my reviewed list. The use of endless spells is because I do t have enough dryads yet but also think could be effective.

C50F6BBE-1F6E-4AEA-9518-17E008E25AE8.png

Edited by Twh30

1 hour ago, Alezya said:

I like your list. I was wondering on some winterleaf lists as well, and I am glad that you basically have the same point of view regarding the TL/TLA when taken outside of Gnarlroot. It is still interesting in some lists and playstyles though. 

As you have a defensive list, I assume (regarding the scenario played) that you chose to play first in order to run and sit on objectives: But for example vs a DoK list, double turn is very strong for them. Did you let the DoK go first? 

With that in mind: If you go first: With the forest folk battalion rule, in order to sit in the middle of the table, do you really think that Chronomantic cogs is still important in this list? 

Every single time, apart from relocation orb, where I like to avoid it if I can get away with giving it away, cos of the scenario. Even against DoK, getting the woods up is so key for the list - you need all the dryads to be -1 to hit and that requires 3 woods down turn 1, realistically. 

Cogs isn't actually there for the bonus to movement, so much. I'll use that affect when the scenario demands an alpha, e.g. better part of valour, but it's more used to make Alarielle more surivable, by re rolling her armour save, and giving another spell for her to cast, boosting her and the Phoenix more. Why I think it's worth the 60 points.