AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Emissary said:

I did actually.  I started with one in the middle, then created one in my backfield in the start of turn 1 with the TLA (could have done it with the spell also)  The problem with jumping them forward the next turn was enemies being too close to the woods they wanted to jump to.  

Also, side note, I only have 80 dryads and 70 of them start on the table in my list.  ;)

Ahh I must have missed that part of your post! The summoning restrictions were a real concern of mine... Did you find the sheer number of Dryads to be effective? The only real downside I see in the Harvestboon is how many points you have to sink into Dryads. I really only want to spend 400 pts on Dryads tops and while you could get away with taking 3 squads of 10 taking less than 20 is a disservice to the unit. When I was playing with lists I developed the following (just doing models not equipment/spells). My big concern with the list is just a total overkill in the casting department. With this list you can cast 6 spells a turn, which seems like potential overkill.

Alarielle

TLA

Branchwraith x 2

Kurnoth Hunters w/Scythes x 3

20 Dryads x 3

An endless spell costing 40 pts (was thinking geminids originally)

Harvestboon Battalion

Personally, I love dryads and my opponents hate them.  Unless absolutely necessary  I always keep them near a wyldwood or at least string some back to it to get the -1 to hit.  The -1 alone kicks a lot of butt, especially when you combine it with a treelord stomp.

The thing about the 30 man units are that it takes a long time to get rid of them and it's better now that you just can keep a hero nearby to make them immune to battleshock.  Yesterday one unit with the wyldwood behind them took charges from 2 units of 10 bloodreavers at a time, then followed up with a unit of 20 bloodletters and the last 2 wrathmongers, then 5 fleshhounds (the TLA came in to help after the bloodletters had charged).  After all of it was over I had about 14 dryads left.  Of course they got some magic help (the geminids killed 3 of the fleshhounds and 3 bloodletters) but there was a little gnashing of teeth over them. 

The other unit took 10 bloodreavers and 5 blood warriors, then were hammered by 3 slaughterpriests, then hit by another unit of 5 blood warriors and 5 skullreapers all backed up by a bloodsecrator and aspiring deathbringer buffs.  The 2nd unit were done after the skullreapers and blood warriors were done, but by that point they had killed a skullreaper, 10 bloodreavers and 4 blood warriors.  They would have done more but the 12 mortal wounds from the slaughterpriests really hurt what they could do, but they did hold them up long enough for alarielle and another unit of 10 dryads to get there and mop up the skullreapers and blood reavers.

Because they would never lose any models to battleshock he had to beat through them which gets harder when there is a -1 to -2 to hit and then the debuffs from the geminids.   My opponent was really annoyed with them turning off the mortal wound generating abilities from the bloodletters and skullreapers.   Also, the wall they built allowed the casters to be behind them and drop in the endless spells between his first wave on the dryads and the support characters behind them.  I was able to kill 2 of the slaughterpriests with the blades because of it.

Also 3x20 dryads is 600 points and 2x30 and 1x10 dryads is 640 points.  I'd rather have the 2 large 30 dryad units.  It allows them to keep the +1 armor armor and they stay forever with immune battleshock.

As for having a lot of spells.  It is a lot.  But if you want to get as much as you can out of the endless spells, you need to spend one cast to dispel it, then another cast to get it back in play.  I want to play around with it more.  And that's also with other spells I want to cast like metamorphosis, throne of vines and the situational ones like summon dryads, regrowth or verdant blessing.  I would like to play around with casting throne of vines first every turn with Alarielle then using the overcharged nature of her to cast an endless spell and metamorphosis.  Plus if she doesn't have to move that turn it can help for her 3 dispels.

Edit, as a side note, if you want to bring the Harvestboon Wargrove you also have to spend the 140 points for the Forest Folk batallion unless I've been missing something for 2 years now.

Edited by Emissary
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Alarielle

TLA

Branchwraith x 2

Kurnoth Hunters w/Scythes x 3

20 Dryads x 3

An endless spell costing 40 pts (was thinking geminids originally)

Harvestboon Battalion

Like the poster said above, I think you’ve missed the Forest Folk Battalion cost from this. I’m really interested in Harvestboon (although I don’t own anywhere near enough Dryads to run it!)

TLA

Durthu

2 x Branch Wraiths

20 x Dryads

20 x Dryads

10 x Dryads

6 x Bow Hunters / Scyhthe Hunters

Forest Folk

Harvestboon

I think it comes out a little under 2K, maybe leaving 20 points for a cheeky endless spell. The problem I have with it is the shear number of points taken up by Battleline units leaving not a lot else. With the above list, would probably take Durthu as my General and give him the +1 to charge command trait for a tasty +2 to his teleport charges

Appreciated.  Here are a few more pictures from where I was planning out my board for our GW stores armies on parade from the fall and from in the store (I managed to win 1st.  woohoo!)

I have 6 of the wyldwood bases and I've upped one of the Tree Revenant units to 15 now.

IMG_20171022_144021982.jpg

Alarielle.jpg

army 2.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Samanar said:

Any thoughts on optimal weapon load out for different number of Kurnoth Hunters in 2.0? I'm thinking that Bows would stay as my top pick for 1st unit for that range threat. Scythes as 2nd and what goes after that? 

You used to use bows to snipe heroes, now with the look out sir rules it's gonna be 5+/3+ so imo the order of weapon is 
scythes > > swords > bows

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vesco said:

You used to use bows to snipe heroes, now with the look out sir rules it's gonna be 5+/3+ so imo the order of weapon is 

Still disagreeing on Scythes >> swords :D but indeed the role of the bows is sniping and it's not getting easier.

20 hours ago, Samanar said:

Any thoughts on optimal weapon load out for different number of Kurnoth Hunters in 2.0? I'm thinking that Bows would stay as my top pick for 1st unit for that range threat. Scythes as 2nd and what goes after that? 

That doesn't leave much option for your 3th pick...

• Like 1

So now we have command points Alarielle gets a boost (and our whole army) ... but ... are there any allies which we could use which have good command abilities that would be usefull?  Or are we stuck with TLA's and Alarielle and generic stuff?

2 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Sometimes I like to ally with Stormcast Pallador or fulminators to get some quik tough unit or maybe with idoneth eels is a good help to take some points 

I was thinking specifically about command abilities.. or are all allied command abilities factin specific and not much use for Sylvaneth?

16 hours ago, ppetford said:

I’m the updated App, Durthu now sounds on a 5+ with his shots. Think this is a mistake?

I sure hope so... Did not hear anything about nerfs to Durthu so it might be a typo.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, Emissary said:

Edit, as a side note, if you want to bring the Harvestboon Wargrove you also have to spend the 140 points for the Forest Folk batallion unless I've been missing something for 2 years now.

You're 100% correct on this, I was being a space cadet!

On 6/29/2018 at 4:30 PM, vesco said:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think bows are still a good choice for two reasons. 1st, they pressure your opponent and restrict how their army can move if they want lookout sir. It makes predicting where the opponent will move easier and in the off chance they ****** up you can immediately snipe that character. 2nd, I'm still happy to take my bow hunters and shoot at big monsters. Lets say my opponent is playing Ironjawz, I'm happy to take the bows and whittle down his maw-krusha. That same concept applies to other armies with big baddies who won't get lookout sir and need to be dealt with.

That's my thought on the bow hunter situation. I just thought of a third point in their favor, unlike scythes and swords bow hunters can sit back on objectives deep in friendly territory and still put out damage. They're a great objective baby sitting unit for that reason. That being said, I think that scythes are probably superior for the points cost but lookout sir will not stop me from bringing bows out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, romhi said:

I sure hope so... Did not hear anything about nerfs to Durthu so it might be a typo.

Well, his match play points are now reduced so I wonder if this is a crazy nerf, like selling Vax carpet cleaners for less cos they’ve underpowered them.

I guess the EU weren’t happy the Spirit of Durthu kicked a$$ too much and forced Games Workshop to change the warscroll.

Edit: also makes the Verdant Blast ability pretty pointless. Who would bother losing Durthu-wounds for extra attacks at only 5+ to wound. I mean, really GW? ?

Edited by Mcthew

Hello

So with New edition, I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the new books yet.

But I'm thinking of not picking up Soul wars in favour of getting 2000 points of Slyvanmeth. (I have a Stormcast Amry but they are looking a bit boring at the moment.)

The downside is getting Alarielle is a bit expensive (money and pointwise). But if I do how does this list for 2.0 look:

Aiming for 2000 points:

TLA, General: Gift of Ghyran, Oaken amour, Regrowth.

Alarielle: Throne of vines

Branchwych: Regrowth, Slverwood Circlet

20xDryads

20xDryads

5xTree Revenants

3xKurnoth Hunters: bows

Household Battlion

Gnarlroot Wargrove

With the 2017 points, this is 1930. Leaving 70 points left over.

I have heard rumours of point changes for Sylaneth. I heard the Hunters got dropped to 200 points, and Household went up top 100, but  Garnlroot went down to 120.

With those changes that would make this list 1880, leaving me 120 points for endless spells. (again I don't know the points cost). I would love to use the maw (I got a lovely little conversion idea, simple but might look good), but any other suggestions would be nice.

what do p[eople think of this list as a rough draft? I think this lists got a bit of everything.

Also, what do people think Alarielle should summon? At the moment I've got an unused Treelord, but I could in time I could sawpit for another unit of Hunters with Scythes. Their a bit more durable (15 wounds opposed to 12) and when summoned can make a nice meat (wood) shield for Alarielle to discourage charging, 

I could also add in a BranchWraith into the list, but at the moment I don;t have the official model (though I have an old spellweaver I was planning on using) and I don't have that many Dryads (though if I buy the start collecting box instead of the separate Treelord I will have 48 Dryads.)

My guess is a lot of the apparent ‘changes’ seen in the App are mistakes. It doesn’t make sense why they would bring out a huge amount of FAQ and errata information for the new edition and exclude these wars roll changes.

In my updated Gnarlroot list, Durthu has the artefact that gives him +1 hit & +1 would from the realm of life. So at least he will be a little better at range - and his sword on 2+/2+ is amazing ?

Been playing around list building for a 2k army WITHOUT BATTALIONS.

TLA General (Regrowth, Gnarled Warrior)

Alarielle (Verdant Blessing)

Spirit of Durthu (some artifact... so many options now unsure... 6 inch bubble mortal wound protect artifact in the realm of light is tempting. +1 to hit/wound for the sword from the realm of life is also tempting. Gryph feather seems legit, so many options. Can always fall back on oaken armor)

Branchwraith (whatever spell you want, doesn't matter since I want to try and summon dryads every turn, maybe the reaping in case she gets swarmed)

Dryads x 20

Tree Revs x 5

Tree Revs x 5

Scythe Kurnoth Hunters x 3

1 Extra Command Point (to be used at some point by Alarielle or as bravery check protection on Dryads)

Endless Spell: Soulsnare Shackles

The idea of the list is to be very cagey and control oriented through point efficient units. Obvious plan is to spread forests early through TLA and Verdant Blessing. Alarielle can then attempt to setup the soulsnare shackles to further restrict enemy movement. Turn one she is also going to throw out her summon (choice will depend on scenario and enemy force). Branchwraith will attempt to add 10 Dryads every turn, using the woods to move them into decent positions (or they can just move and run, 7 inch move is respectable). Then the game plan is basically setup favorable combats with the many beaters in the list. Alarielle is going for mobs, Durthu is going for whatever he can safely swing at, TLA is generally picking light combats so as to not die and lose his command ability. Tree Revs are still great for their value and can help the list sneak up on artillery, characters behind mobs, and enemy territory/far away objectives. 20 Dryad unit is the anvil to hold tough points, with 10 Dryad backups coming in to bolster the mob. Scythe Kurnoths are there to help characters in combat/be resilient, could also be swapped for bow hunters to pick at units from afar.

Any thoughts? This list is using models I already have so I'm not sure it's very optimized. I think Drycha would be a nice add, probably in place of Durthu and would free up more points for endless spells, tree revs, whatever. However, I think this list makes for a nice cagey list where the aim is to setup the combats where the characters can shine and generally disrupt the opponents movement plans.

Final final thought (this post is getting rather long...). With the way the realm specific artifacts look, I think battalions may be the way to go... getting a realm artifact AND one or two of our own is strong. Sylvaneth have great artifacts to pick from so it feels like a no brainer. Since I want to run Alarielle one excess command point feels required (which I'd be getting for free with a battalion so take 50 pts off the battalion cost). Finally, it brings the army way down in drops which is always a plus. I'm just having a hard time figuring out which to go in on. I'll keep thinking and post a battalion list soon!

26 minutes ago, BionicRope64 said:

Aiming for 2000 points:

TLA, General: Gift of Ghyran, Oaken amour, Regrowth.

Alarielle: Throne of vines

Branchwych: Regrowth, Slverwood Circlet

20xDryads

20xDryads

5xTree Revenants

3xKurnoth Hunters: bows

Household Battlion

Gnarlroot Wargrove

With the 2017 points, this is 1930. Leaving 70 points left over.

I have heard rumours of point changes for Sylaneth. I heard the Hunters got dropped to 200 points, and Household went up top 100, but  Garnlroot went down to 120.

With those changes that would make this list 1880, leaving me 120 points for endless spells.

Hey Bionic, I have a couple of thoughts!

First, is Gift of Ghyran overkill? I personally prefer Gnarled Warrior to mitigate some amount of rend. 

Second, Throne of Vines is awesome in theory but I'm personally concerned with using it on Alarielle. If you're going to playing with the realm specific spells then I think it's great but otherwise I think it's overkill AND Alarielle is really a horde unit killer (the beetle chomps blobs) so not moving is a pretty high cost. That being said, you are setup to have access to 5 spells on her so who knows. I would consider using Throne of Vines on your Branchwych instead, since she can now cast 2 spells and has increased spell cast range thanks to circlet. Also, with your spare points taking a Balewind and trying to sit the Branchwych on it could be very potent.

Keep in mind the rule of one for spell casts. Taking regrowth twice is good if one of the casters dies but you can't cast it twice a turn, maybe try the reaping with increased range and a balewind?

Finally, I just said this in my post but look through the malign sorcery realm specific artifacts. There are some real gems in there that could replace the Oaken Armor or Circlet. Additionally, if you added a Branchwraith, you would have another body to take an artifact.

Otherwise, I think the list is well rounded, so nice job! My final piece of advice is that Gnarlroot may be an overkill battalion. With your list you will have 9 spell casts a turn... WITHOUT access to realm specific spells I don't think you even have 9 potential casts. Lets imagine that TLA casts Regrowth and his specific spell every turn, Branchwych casts her specific spell and Sylvaneth spell every turn, Alarielle could then cast her specific spell, mystic shield, arcane bolt, Throne of Vines, and wastes one spell slot. Already, you see that you have one wasted spell slot (unless you use endless spells). The spells you do cast sound awesome on paper but many of those spells are situational. You probably won't cast Regrowth every turn (almost never on turn one and later itll be limited especially since you have many 1 wound models and only a few with more), Mystic Shield is a dead spell for Sylvaneth with the change, TLA specific spell is highly circumstantial so that's probably not going every turn either, early turns Branchwych wont be in position to cast her specific spell. Of those casts you now have 4 that are so circumstantial that you probably don't use them every turn. That brings you down to casting 4/5 spells a turn, which you could achieve without the battalion. You'd lose the command point and artifacts if you drop the battalion (and some other minor buffs) but you could spend those points on another unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndigoGirls said:

Branchwraith (whatever spell you want, doesn't matter since I want to try and summon dryads every turn, maybe the reaping in case she gets swarmed)

What about Thorn of vines? For a guaranteed summoning since you need a 7. I don’t think you will move her so much, so you can make her a dryad spamming turret.

I'm a little cagey on these 'mistakes' as they tally with points differences in the GHB18. Reducing power on things such as Verdant Blast, means a points reduction on the model, although I can't fathom as to why. Durthu seemed fine as he was, and was worth the points no more, no less.

This is not really a nerf in the 'traditional' sense, because there's a points reduction as well. It just feels as though GW thinks that we are having too much fun playing with the Durthu model and they'd rather brick an ability on stealth. 

But will see. If it's a mistake, then great, although I'm not sure as to why there's a points reduction.

This is all little haphazard on a model that costs a lot to buy in real money, not AoS money and GW has a reputation for doing this...

?

17 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

I'm a little cagey on these 'mistakes' as they tally with points differences in the GHB18. Reducing power on things such as Verdant Blast, means a points reduction on the model, although I can't fathom as to why. Durthu seemed fine as he was, and was worth the points no more, no less.

This is not really a nerf in the 'traditional' sense, because there's a points reduction as well. It just feels as though GW thinks that we are having too much fun playing with the Durthu model and they'd rather brick an ability on stealth. 

But will see. If it's a mistake, then great, although I'm not sure as to why there's a points reduction.

This is all little haphazard on a model that costs a lot to buy in real money, not AoS money and GW has a reputation for doing this...

?

Where do you see it? I don't see it in the pdf of the unit in the GW site/shop and I just deleted all sylvaneth scroll and re downloaded them in the AoS app... and in both his shooting is 3+ 4+.