AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

"Acorn of the Ages: This unassuming acorn is verdant life given form.

Once per game, in your hero phase, set up a new Sylvaneth Wyldwood anywhere within 5" of the bearer. The wood cannot be set up within 1" of any other models or terrain features."

There is no minimum distance listed from the bearer of the acorn. This means I can set up the wood so that the model holding the acorn is directly in the centre?  (Which would make the distance roughly -5 inches.....which sounds very odd when you put it in those terms.)

And the same for navigate realmroots. I can put my teleported units inside a wood?

"Navigate Realmroots: Sylvaneth armies favour a swift, hit-and-run fighting style, using spirit paths to strike and fade before the enemy can react.

If a SYLVANETH unit is within 3" of a Sylvaneth Wyldwood at the start of your movement phase, it can attempt to traverse the spirit paths instead of moving normally. If it does so, remove the unit from the battlefield, then set it up within 3" of a different Sylvaneth Wyldwood, more than 9" from any enemy models. Then, roll a dice and consult the table below."

Edited by a74xhx
replacing another post I had deleted.

19 hours ago, a74xhx said:

"Acorn of the Ages: This unassuming acorn is verdant life given form.

Once per game, in your hero phase, set up a new Sylvaneth Wyldwood anywhere within 5" of the bearer. The wood cannot be set up within 1" of any other models or terrain features."

There is no minimum distance listed from the bearer of the acorn. This means I can set up the wood so that the model holding the acorn is directly in the centre?  (Which would make the distance roughly -5 inches.....which sounds very odd when you put it in those terms.)

And the same for navigate realmroots. I can put my teleported units inside a wood?

"Navigate Realmroots: Sylvaneth armies favour a swift, hit-and-run fighting style, using spirit paths to strike and fade before the enemy can react.

If a SYLVANETH unit is within 3" of a Sylvaneth Wyldwood at the start of your movement phase, it can attempt to traverse the spirit paths instead of moving normally. If it does so, remove the unit from the battlefield, then set it up within 3" of a different Sylvaneth Wyldwood, more than 9" from any enemy models. Then, roll a dice and consult the table below."

1- I understand that “any other models” refers to any other than the wyldwood, so the hero who has acorn must be 1” from the wyldwood, but no more than 5”. (Maybe I’m wrong)

2- Ofc you can.

2 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

1- I understand that “any other models” refers to any other than the wyldwood, so the hero who has acorn must be 1” from the wyldwood, but no more than 5”. (Maybe I’m wrong)

Right. I was reading "any other models" refers to any other than the bearer of the acorn. That totally changes how it works.

Although, if the Branchwraith drops it 1" away, then she can still get 6" inside the wood on her movement turn. So, it's not that bad.

5 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Right. I was reading "any other models" refers to any other than the bearer of the acorn. That totally changes how it works.

Although, if the Branchwraith drops it 1" away, then she can still get 6" inside the wood on her movement turn. So, it's not that bad.

Branchwraith and other units that are close to the wyldwood too. That’s why the acorn is a good option to teleport your units to the other wyldwood (the one placed at the start of the game).

Hi all. I would like to put my list and hope to get better, I have not finished yet but this is what I'm going to build:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)

Battleline
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

I'm thinking first turn Alarielle summons 20 dryads cause I have the models. 

It's an aggressive list because everything has rend -1 at least and very mobile. I could change 5 tree rev for Wanderers Eternal guard for more tanky. 

Other option is changing kurnoth w bows for 20 glade guard for more distance attaks and change 10 tree rev for 20 eternal guard but I like more a pure army list.

How do u see it? Yes to wanderers help? The spells I will go for sure regrowth and the other things I don't have decided yet

Edited by Hoseman

On 10/8/2018 at 4:39 AM, Isotop said:

@Kimbo

I hope to further discuss the topic later with you :)

Do you find a lot of situations in game where 10 Swords are all in B2B with only a 1" reach?

The argument of Swords vs Scythes is about reach and list building, not dmg.  2 x 3 Swords vs 1 x 6 Scythes as both options are good.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:06 PM, Walkirriox said:

Branchwraith and other units that are close to the wyldwood too. That’s why the acorn is a good option to teleport your units to the other wyldwood (the one placed at the start of the game).

Any benefit of doing that instead of setting up the unit off the board at the start, and then moving them to the first wood on the first turn?

2 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Any benefit of doing that instead of setting up the unit off the board at the start, and then moving them to the first wood on the first turn?

Cannot say. It depends on the game, terrain features, objectives, your strategy, etc. We have both options to choose.

Hey guys, I need some help. Yesterday I played with my Sylvaneth army first time since 2.0 was released. The problem is that I am not in pace with what the new edition’s changes means for Sylvaneth. Also, it does not help that I am getting really creamed by a certain 2.0 army. ?

20 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Do you find a lot of situations in game where 10 Swords are all in B2B with only a 1" reach?

The argument of Swords vs Scythes is about reach and list building, not dmg.  2 x 3 Swords vs 1 x 6 Scythes as both options are good.

My post was not about 10 Hunters in particular. You can just divide the respective damage output by ten to learn about the average damage per model. I am sorry if this was not clear.

Yes, both Scythes and Swords are good in general. But I have to disagree with your statement about the damage not being relevant for the argument. Imagine Scythes did as much damage as Swords. There would be no reason to ever pick Swords. Imagine Swords with damage 1 and no rend - no one would ever pick Swords at all. Tha fact that their damage outputs are pretty close to each other (depending on the target) and that the reach and flexibility of the Scythes can not be represented in numbers (for the most part) makes it hard for people to decide between Scythes and Swords.

What I tried to accomplish with my post is just raw information about the average damge the weapon choices provide, so that people know exactly what they are talking about when they say "x is better than y" or "in case z, x does more damage than y".

Another thought process when deciding between Scythes and Swords emerges from the design of your list in general. For example, I am playing Dreadwood Wargrove right now with Alarielle, a Spirit of Durthu and a unit of 6 Scythe-Hunters. A reasonable thought could be: I allready have enough -2 rend attacks with the Spirit and Alarielle - maybe Swords would suit this list better for overall performance. Another thought, and in fact the one I had when I first created and played the list, is: When I am using Subterfuge to redeploy the Hunters, it can be quite limiting if I have to get six 50mm bases within 1" of the enemy unit I want to delete or bind - so I took Scythes since you only have to fit three bases (with the other three attacking from the "second rank").

17 hours ago, a74xhx said:

First there is a technical difference in the way you are allowed to set up models for both:

(1) When you use Forest Spirits (deployment in the hidden enclaves) to bring a unit on the table, all models in the unit have to be within 3" of a Wyldwood.

(1.1) The unit forfeits its "normal" movement in order to teleport

(2) When you use Navigate Realmroots (teleporting between Wyldwoods) the unit has to be within 3" of a Wyldwood

(2.1) You have to roll on the Spirit Paths table (1=the unit can not do anything for the turn, 6=the unit can move normally in addition to the teleport)

The big difference is that you can "conga line" your untis when using Navigate Realmroots. This can be handy for capturing objectives or zoning enemy units. 

Sorry have to work now but I would be happy to further discuss the topic later :)

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone that answered my previous post with feedback on my list.

With that said, I come to you today as I'm curious how you (anyone here!) play Sylvaneth at 1000p? I tend to play smaler scaled games due to time constrain. This army is rather new to me so I'd love to hear from you more  experienced players! 

What lists have worked for you? And why

Note: Does not have to be super competitive, but atleast good enough to win games if played right 

Thank you! 

When I started playing Sylvaneth, this was the core of what I'd bring. My usual opponents played Fyreslayers and Free Peoples/Empire, so the extra durable Treelord Ancient was a solid core for the army. I am personally a fan of Dryad blobs, because of how resilient they are at holding objectives in a Wyldwood. I chose sword hunters primarily due to the average to bad saves my opponents tended to have, but since then Scythes have become my usual go to due to the range. 

Spell choice for the Branchwraith and Treelord Ancient come down to personal preference mostly, I like the Regrowth to help keep my Hunters and TLA on the board longer and Verdant Blessing because I hate relying on Silent Communion for my Wyldwood generation. Something that is easy to overlook at initial glance is that Dryads have a 2 inch range and that Treelords have a 3 inch range on their Sweeping Blows, so if absolutely necessary, you can use the Dryads to screen the Ancient. 

I have on occasion brought the Treelord Ancient and Drycha is the same list at 1k, you struggle on objective somewhat, but my opponents have struggled with the 2 monsters in combat quite a bit. 

Sylvaneth1kcore (1).pdf

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, Hoseman said:

Hi all. I would like to put my list and hope to get better, I have not finished yet but this is what I'm going to build:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

I'm thinking first turn Alarielle summons 20 dryads cause I have the models. 

It's an aggressive list because everything has rend -1 at least and very mobile. I could change 5 tree rev for Wanderers Eternal guard for more tanky. 

Other option is changing kurnoth w bows for 20 glade guard for more distance attaks and change 10 tree rev for 20 eternal guard but I like more a pure army list.

How do u see it? Yes to wanderers help? The spells I will go for sure regrowth and the other things I don't have decided yet

My opinion is:

Say no to wanderers help.. also: say no to tons of tree revenants.. Say yes to units of 20 dryads.

31 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

My opinion is:

Say no to wanderers help.. also: say no to tons of tree revenants.. Say yes to units of 20 dryads.

Thanks man. I know 20 dryads are awesome. The last change I made and I think it's deffinitive is going 4x 5 tree revenants. And I will summon 20 dryads with alarielle, so as 10 with branchwraith. The other is the same: alarielle, wych, treelord and 3 bow hunters + 2x 3 scytes :)

I know 20 dryads are more tanky than 10 tree rev and are almost the same points but tree rev are so cool :P

Edit: I have thinked twice. I will run 20 dryad + 3x 5 tree rev for battleline. Alarielle summons 20 dryads more and it's huge

Edited by Hoseman

I am trying to search the internet for a "Batalion breakdown" of some sort without any success. More specificly, for the Winterleaf and Ironbark batalions. 

Winterleaf: 

what order unit/s do you use? Any good synergies? 

- how many Dryads do you play with usually? And follow up q...20 or 30 man blobs? 

Ironbark:

- same here, what units? Synergies? 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Kimbo

41 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I am trying to search the internet for a "Batalion breakdown" of some sort without any success. More specificly, for the Winterleaf and Ironbark batalions. 

Winterleaf: 

what order unit/s do you use? Any good synergies? 

- how many Dryads do you play with usually? And follow up q...20 or 30 man blobs? 

Ironbark:

- same here, what units? Synergies? 

Thank you in advance! 

If this helps this is my winterleaf list I am planning on using 

ADB9671F-71C7-4278-AE39-0895693B5A6F.jpeg