AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Two things - 

I'm looking to test a list for a event not to tailor against the fella I'm playing so there's that. 

I also don't own any swords at the moment, so I'm going to stick with Sycthes. I think I prefer them in general over swords anyhow. 

Understandable, sure. I know this was discussed to death but I still like to include swords next to my scythes. In the past year I did not have a single game where I could not find a sweet, low save target to decimate with swords. 

37 minutes ago, romhi said:

Understandable, sure. I know this was discussed to death but I still like to include swords next to my scythes. In the past year I did not have a single game where I could not find a sweet, low save target to decimate with swords. 

Low being an extremely broad term in this case since at 3+ they are still equal.. plenty of armies who hardly even have 3+... against the majority of wounds in ANY game (4+ or worse) swords will be better.. so yes.. swords are great. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

So my third test of Gnarlroot is going down this evening, I decided to change my original template as I was finding Drycha underwhelming and Hunters awesome., Having more Hunters offers me a little more Synergy also allowing me to have more units to return Hunters to. Here's my Gnarlroot MK2 list, going up against Nighthaunt this evening. 

Treelord Ancient 
Artefact - Ignax's Scales 
Trait - Gnarled Warrior 
Deepwood Lore - Regrowth 

Branchwraith 
Artefact - Ranu's Lamentiri 
Deepwood Lore - Verdant Blessing 

Brancwych 
Artefact - Acorn of the Ages
Deepwood Lore - Throne of Vines 

30 Dryads
2 x 5 Tree Revenants 

2 x 3 Scythe Hunters
2 x 3 Bow Hunters

Gnarlroot
Household 

I'll let you guys know how it goes :D

If you use Drycha it should really be about dealing damage with her shooting attack and being a back up caster.. combatwise she's certainly not equal to hunters.. so Drycha is obviously more dependant on what your enemy brings (units of 20-40 1 wound models would be awesome) and movement and positioning.. hunters are more allround and more point and click. For all comers Hunters might be the better choice I guess.. however we have nothing else that can clear objectives as quickly as drycha if a unit of 40 goblins is on there, she's a tool we otherwise don't have (well no one really has that tool). Last year I've used her a lot and just getting a few shooting attacks on somewhat bigger (10 + models) elite models makes her usefull though. I'm not currently using her since I'm putting Alarielle in Gnarlroot and that seems to be working wonders: I doubt anything in our army can beat her point for point, she's useful in every phase and has awesome mobility.

Hey guys, as I'm a simple fella and I kept forgetting things I decided to make my own cheat sheet for Sylvaneth. It should contain all the relevant rules from the battle tome, you can keep / delete units you don't need for your current list. hopefully it helps you forgot less stuff (thought I doubt people are as stupid as me!) 

Sylvaneth cheat sheet.docx

• Thanks 5

Thank you Aezeal, next time I run her I will definitely try the squirmlings. In other news, third game in playing 2k with my Sylvaneth and I got my first win for my Gnarlroot Wargrove! Woooohoo, I was playing against Nighthaunt. In the end I went with TLA, Branchwych / Wraith, 30 Dryads, 2 x 5 Tree Revenants, 2 x 3 Bow Hunters, 2 x 3 Scythe Hunters, Household, Gnarlroot, Swords, Soulsnare Shackles & Geminids of Uhl-Gysh. 

It was very close, I gave him first time and screened my army with my revenants & dryads, with cogs he got 2 turn on charges with a mourngul & 10 grimghasts to try and get my bottom centre objective (playing focal points).  I killed enough Grimghasts with Scythe Hunters to stop that, so he only scored 2 on his turn. I got the double racking up to 8 points. Hit back hard, scoring 4 then taking 6 on the double! 8 - 12, I only managed to score on my return making it 10-12 but then I got the double back and using teleports managed to snag all the objectives to push me to 18, at this point he only had < 10 models left and we called it. 

Really happy with how I played, the cheat sheet super helped. I attempted 6 spells a turn, remembered to unbind the endless spells I wanted to recast. The geminids as expected provided some really strong synergy with the Dryads -1 to hit for being close to a wood and my Treelords stomp. Two times I made a blob of 30 chainrasps -2 to hit. 

One thing I noticed is my opponent had cogs up and it massively helped me being able to use the spirit paths and reliably charge after. I'd love to fit them in my list but I would have to lose my geminids / swords and there is a lot of synergy between the geminids and the army. As it stands I'm going to stick to the list bug cogs are massively on my radar. 

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

Stephan here. :)

1. How important are the treelords?  Do I really need them?

Reasons are: I'm searching for an army, that is easy to transport. Right now I play Nurgle Deamons with several Great Unclean Ones and that army is a pain to transport. Therefore I like to have an army that doesn't rely on monsters to do well. Only exception I'd do is Drycha. She has to be part of an Sylvaneth army for me. 

=> Will an army based around Drycha and some Hunters (as well as battlelines and additional heroes of course) do well on the battlefield?

2. Are Revenants any good when it comes down to battleline?

3. how many Citadel woods should I get at the start?

Thanks in advanve!

Hi Stephan!

1.) Depending on your army, "variations" of the Treelord (e.g. Tree Lord Ancient or Spirit of Durthu) can be quite important. Considering behemoths overall, Alarielle is also quite good right now, but also a pain in the a** to transport safely. ;)

Overall I think from a "transport safety"-perspective Sylvaneth are a REALLY bad army, as almost every model has small branches and tiny bits that are very prone to breaking.

2.) Again depending on your army. If you want to Play a Dreadwood Wargrove for example you would Need 4x Spite Revenants. Overall I think Revenants can be quite nice supporting units, but in most of the lists a solid block of Dryads is quite important/helps a lot. 

3.) Depending on the army size I would say 6 would be a very good starting point.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, AaronWIlson said:

Hey guys, as I'm a simple fella and I kept forgetting things I decided to make my own cheat sheet for Sylvaneth. It should contain all the relevant rules from the battle tome, you can keep / delete units you don't need for your current list. hopefully it helps you forgot less stuff (thought I doubt people are as stupid as me!) 

Sylvaneth cheat sheet.docx

Thanks for the cheat sheet! From someone who is still struggling to remember alle the special rules.

• Like 2

I've been designing some tables that I want to build and since I can't find this sort of thing anywhere else on the internet, this thread seems like the best place to bring it up. I want to make fixed-terrain sort of diorama/display style tables(to play on of course). The spoiler below will show examples of what I mean. Mainly because terrain with bases is fugly with a capital fug, and partly because narrative campaign environments, custom battleplans, etc.. I really don't care about modularity, space, or materials so don't worry about that.

So the first thing you guys are probably thinking is that you would hate playing Sylvaneth here since there isn't even space for a single Wood base. I don't play Sylvaneth nor do the people I play with, but that could possibly change in the future and that's why I want to do my best to be inclusive. This is clearly not intended for competitive play and thusly I don't plan on having any large flat areas that aren't scattered with tufts and gently undulating meadows or boulders. The best thing I've come up with so far is to have additional custom fitting terrain pieces that fit into areas and simulate citadel woods. Since competitive matched play isn't really an issue I think this might work but the problem is it kinda severely limits the player's choices as far as placement/orientation, not to mention the size/shape of the area will likely differ and some people will be uptight about that. Also people who are proud of their models will likely want to use their own. Do any Sylvaneth players have actual experience playing on these types of boards? Are there any ideas about how to work with this or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Spoiler

The-Ruins-of-DrasShiel-4.jpg

top_tables3.jpg

top_tables9.jpg

@lifelonghalo I think those boards are fine for syls to play on - just will only be able to drop a single wood base in each open area. Not the worst. Just have to be more tactical. 

@AaronWIlson I personally haven’t tried the glaive but if I’m going for bonuses to hit, Id rather Grhyratrike (+1 to hit & wound). I know every man and his dog goes this route, but it’s just SO much better than hitting and wounding on 3s, especially when at max attacks from Wyldwoods!

@lifelonghalo I've played AOS on that first table. there are problems deploying wyldwoods, but also there are problems in general that arise from terrain not having a base. You need to discuss what things are beforehand.

Does anyone have a good idea what I could use the Fay Enchantress as? I'd like to (in friendly games) use it as a branchwraith, but any better suggestions?

2 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Has anyone tried amber glaive on durthu? 4" each and +1 to hit seems solid?

I didn't realize this item existed - is there a good way to use a 4" melee range? Besides the obvious "not having to charge", are there any synergies one could take advantage of?

Wait a minute... this means you could pull up Durthu to outside of 3" of someone, smack em real good, and they can't retaliate because they aren't within 3" to pile-in. Could even do it from within wyldwoods... Does anyone see this benefit as strong? I think it's a bit funny, but not sure if an essentially "free round" of combat with something really justifies the artefact choice. 

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot you have to be within 3" of an enemy in order to be eligible to fight in the first place... so he would either need to be within 3" of something and swing at something else within 4" (a situation so rare it is irrelevant), or parked behind a screening unit and awaiting a counter-attack when an enemy piles in (4" is better than 3" here, but not game changing). 

Edited by Freejack02

10 hours ago, lifelonghalo said:

I've been designing some tables that I want to build and since I can't find this sort of thing anywhere else on the internet, this thread seems like the best place to bring it up. I want to make fixed-terrain sort of diorama/display style tables(to play on of course). The spoiler below will show examples of what I mean. Mainly because terrain with bases is fugly with a capital fug, and partly because narrative campaign environments, custom battleplans, etc.. I really don't care about modularity, space, or materials so don't worry about that.

So the first thing you guys are probably thinking is that you would hate playing Sylvaneth here since there isn't even space for a single Wood base. I don't play Sylvaneth nor do the people I play with, but that could possibly change in the future and that's why I want to do my best to be inclusive. This is clearly not intended for competitive play and thusly I don't plan on having any large flat areas that aren't scattered with tufts and gently undulating meadows or boulders. The best thing I've come up with so far is to have additional custom fitting terrain pieces that fit into areas and simulate citadel woods. Since competitive matched play isn't really an issue I think this might work but the problem is it kinda severely limits the player's choices as far as placement/orientation, not to mention the size/shape of the area will likely differ and some people will be uptight about that. Also people who are proud of their models will likely want to use their own. Do any Sylvaneth players have actual experience playing on these types of boards? Are there any ideas about how to work with this or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Hide contents

The-Ruins-of-DrasShiel-4.jpg

top_tables3.jpg

top_tables9.jpg

Wow... if you have costum places for forests I'd accept that just to play on these...

On 8/31/2018 at 10:14 PM, scrubyandwells said:

Kind of jealous of the fellow who took Durthu and 18 Scythes to Northern Invasion. Not a fan of spam lists, but that's one of the more straightforward, strong Sylvaneth lists I've seen since they launched in 2016. 

I'm interested in that list ;D could u tell me more about it 

Hello, im new to the game and made a gnarlroot list but have a question on the ruling.

In the Wargrove it says "A Gnarlroot Treelord Ancient, Branchwych, or a Branchwraith is allowed to attempt  to cast one extra spell in each of there hero phases".

From what iv'e read it seems that each  wizard in the mention gnarlroot list can attempt to cast one additional spell a turn. But the wording seems to come off as only one can cast an additional spell a turn, so just want some clarity on the subject.

Edited by tiktaq

2 hours ago, tiktaq said:

Hello, im new to the game and made a gnarlroot list but have a question on the ruling.

In the Wargrove it says "A Gnarlroot Treelord Ancient, Branchwych, or a Branchwraith is allowed to attempt  to cast one extra spell in each of there hero phases".

From what iv'e read it seems that each  wizard in the mention gnarlroot list can attempt to cast one additional spell a turn. But the wording seems to come off as only one can cast an additional spell a turn, so just want some clarity on the subject.

All of them in the wargrove can cast 2 spells. It's even in a faq or designer commentary I think.

• Thanks 1