AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/2/2021 at 5:02 AM, Mirage8112 said:

Mancunian carnage: 

70 man tourney, 1 Sylvaneth player who finished 5th. 6 bows, alarielle and warsong with 3 tree rev units bwraith and some espells

This is impressive! Do you have the complete list with glade, artefacts, etc? Any battlereport?

1 hour ago, Walkirriox said:

This is impressive! Do you have the complete list with glade, artefacts, etc? Any battlereport?

And if you want to know how he plays, he did a whole video on it:

So I tabled the eels by turn 3, killed his two frostlords turn 1 the rest turn 2 then kragy turn 3, the other frostlord list was a really hard game, but used the woods to control late game movement to win, and SOB had 6 small guys 2 big ones and I can kill 2 small guys a turn pretty easily, then turn 3 just killed the other big guy with alarielle then he just had 1 model with the 5+ ward and couldn't score enough points to win

Edited by plavski
  • Like 6

Played yesterday with my standard list against Stormcast Eternals. It was my first game against SE. Alarielle did nothing and died at the beginning of turn 3. She missed 5 out of 6 spells she could cast. I underestimated evocators and they punished me for that. The game was overall balanced and the result was 23:25 and I lost. If she had survived one more turn it would have been an easy win. Need to keep her more in the back next time. Best unit: Durthu. He's a killing machine. Stormcasts were extremely resilient with mistic shield and some CA from his general that made two units a turn 2+ save.

I've played 2 games recently, one against KO, second against DoK.

Against DoK I played following list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Triumphs:
Alarielle the Everqueen (740)*
Spirit of Durthu (340)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
Treelord Ancient (295)**
- General
Arch-Revenant (105)*
Branchwraith (95)*
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
10 x Dryads (95)*
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)**
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)**
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Vengeful Skullroot (85)
Spiteswarm Hive (40)
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 70
Drops: 6

Against KO, I played Warsong and Kurnoths with bows instead of Durthu and Archie and spell portals instead of root.

1st game against KO was a close one. He took first turn and shot down my Warsong so I did not manage to try him out. Nevertheless, he is really resilient, with all out defence he tanked almost all the shooting, so he wasted all one hero. I decided to pretty much ignore his loaded Ironclad as it was too dangerous. I focused on his three battle lines units holding the objectives and played my battle tactics. Alarielle managed to snipe his general with her spear and warscroll spell and denied his battle tactics. Both Alarielle and TLA managed to successfully tank most of the shooting. 2+ save ignoring -1 rend was a bit frustrating for him. We were pretty even on points until last turn, when I managed to deny his battle tactics while scoring mine and i achieved my grand strategy as well. It was a close victory for the trees. List was resilient but it seem to lack dmg output.

2nd game against DoK was different and very one sided, although I feel his list was not really good. I got the first turn despite my high number of trops (6). I took it and shot off his snake ladies with bows and Durthu with TLA managed turn 1 charge (with the help of Hive) into his big blob of melee snake ladies. Durthu made a short work off them. I blocked the counter charge from the other big blob of witch elves by sacrificing my tree reveants to block their charge. however, he still got a double turn and managed to charge the witch elves to Durthu and TLA (as they were positioned together it was not really possible for him to charge only one of them). They got a spear from Alarielle (unleash hell) and were stomped by Durthu and had to fight last. They did not get a chance to swing back. By end of 3rd turn, only Morathi was left with 1 wound remaining, while I lost only unit of Tree Revenants and Dryads. 

My take aways:

1. TLA is really great now. His command ability is just insane value. Just stay close to him or Kurnoths and enjoy almost army wide +1 save until your next hero phase! The free trees is great as ever, especially now when we can setup three single trees at once. 
  2. Alarielle is quite decent. Yes her spells gets shut down quite easily, but the healing helps. She is mobile, brings Kurnoths to extend the range of TLA ability and the spear attach is sooo valuable. You have to pick the fights with her, but she rarely disappoints. 
  3. Durthu is a beast. All out defence, and reroll 1s to hit and wound (gnarlroot + alarielle) make him quite reliable. With TLA by his side and the 5+ ward from artifact, he is also very resilient. 
  4. Stacking saves is actually very valid strategy. We have so many ways to stack the +1 save that it is quite easy to have your treelords or Alarielle on 2+ save ignoring -1 rend. And that will drive some opponents crazy. Yes MWs are still our weakness, but the amount of healing is actually very relevant. If they do not kill our monsters in one turn, they can easily get healed back to full again. 
  5. The new AWW rules seem a bit broken. Fact that our spells and abilities place 3 small trees at once means that you can reliably flood the board with trees for teleporting and bonuses. 9 trees on the board turn 1 or 2 is common. I have just 9, but I can imagine some people having 15 trees on the board by turn three, which feels just ... wrong for the game. Yeah it is great for us, but this might create such a negative experience for your opponent that it just feels wrong. I think this should get FAQed and we should be able to drop only wyldwood (consisting of 1 or 3 trees) during the game, not three separate ones. 
  6. Dryads are quite decent. Good bodies for objectives, -1 to hit in forest is actually still quite relevant (and if they waste all out attack on dryads and not on our monsters, also good).
  7. Monsters are great. Counts as 5 bodies on objective is very helpful, and the roar (that shuts down command abilities) is invaluable. 
  8. Kurnots on the other hand, are not what they used to be. I still like to summon or take 3 with bows, to do some ranged dmg here and there and extend the command auras of TLA and Alarielle. The melee versions though (Swords or Scythes) seem to be a bit overpriced.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:14 PM, Arzalyn said:

Anyone here got the warsong revenant assemble instructions and would be kind enought to share them with me? I got mine seconded handed new on sprue, but it arrived without the instructions... I heard he is a little difficult to assemble in some parts and didn't want to mess it up.

If you still need this let me know. Should have it

Hi all, I'm playing my first game in 3.0 (and first game with Sylvaneth) next week with one of my friends at 1500 points. He plays CoS dwarfs. I came up with a couple of list ideas down below. I'd love some input on which list you'd go with at 1500 points (or any improvements you might make to them!). It's not meant to be a super competitive match, but at the same time I'd prefer to not get totally stomped either. =P

List One:

<p>Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Glade: Gnarlroot
Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Core Battalions: Battle Regiment
Triumph: Inspired

Leaders:
Alarielle the Everqueen (740) 
Treelord Ancient (General, Nurtured by Magic, Chalice of Nectar, Spell: Verdurous Harmony) (295) Battalion: Battle Regiment

Units:
5x Tree-Revenants (80) Battalion: Battle Regiment
5x Tree-Revenants (80) Battalion: Battle Regiment
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Greatswords (225) Battalion: Battle Regiment
(Alarielle summon: 3x Kurnoth Hunters with Greatswords (0))

Endless Spells:
Gladewyrm (60)

Wounds: 53 (68 w/ summon)

I put Verdurous Harmony on the TLA since Alarielle already has her healing aura and can cast Regrowth if needed, so I figured him being able to resurrect a whole Kurnoth/multiple Revenants might be better than doubling down on regrowth?

List Two:

<p>Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Glade: Gnarlroot
Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Core Battalions: Warlord, Battle Regiment

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (Chalice of Nectar, Universal Spell: Flaming Weapon) (275) Core Battalion: Warlord
Treelord Ancient (Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony) (295) Core Battalion: Warlord
Branchwraith (Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines) (95) Core Battalion: Warlord
Spirit of Durthu (General, Nurtured by Magic, Arcane Tome, Deepwood Spell: Regrowth) (340) Core Battalion: Battle Regiment

Units:
5x Tree-Revenants (80) Core Battalion: Warlord
5x Tree-Revenants (80) Core Battalion: Battle Regiment
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (225p) Core Batallion: Battle Regiment

Endless Spells:
Umbral Spell Portal (70)
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Wounds: 61

I'm a bit worried I might have too few non-leader units in this list. I'm also unsure whether Durthu is better as a self-healing wizard or with a just a straight up 5+ ward (Amulet of Destiny) . Overall, I'm just unsure about most things with this to be honest. =P

Edited by Bvajen

If you have a warsong who might be able to heal him I'd go for the ward save. It also makes him drop less in brackets if he'****** hard before he can strike himself.  Keeping him next to the healer might be a nice idea though.

Edited by Aezeal

Hi guys!

What do you think about?

I put spite revenant only because I have 70 point left, probably I will put out 1x3 Kurnoth with greatsword and take 2x10 dryads and other things ?

- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (275)*
- General
- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic 
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar 
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Branchwraith (95)*
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Drycha Hamadreth (330)*
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (225)*
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (225)*
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (430)
- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102
Drops: 10

20 hours ago, Archibald said:

Hey,

i'm asking for a friend of mine, who plays the treefolk.

Why would you ever place 3 trees in a circle, when you can get 3x1 tree. It looks like so much more value with no downside at all? Any explanation would be awesome!

I would not normally place a single 3 wood base but the obvious  advantage is that is gets wyldwood LOS blocking rule. 

A 2nd advantage would be the size which allows teleportation of bigger units. Not sure if you can teleport a 30 man dryad unit whole within 1" of a single base (doing this from the top of my head, rule might have been rewritten or never been like that).

10 hours ago, Nqshou said:

It seems that Tomáš Panvesmíru Rut went 5-0 playing Sylvaneth in a 25 players tournament in Czeck Republic this weekend : https://tabletop.to/kral-vysociny-2

That list is something else. It's four huge flipping Hero Monsters, and under 300 points of anything else. It's ballsy as hell.

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd

9 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

That list is something else. It's four huge flipping Hero Monsters, and under 300 points of anything else. It's ballsy as hell.

I just tried the mathmallow list today (similar ish)

Alarielle, 6 Bow Hunters, Warsong revenent (plus chaff?) was scary and dominating at the casual level.  I was pleasantly surprised how well Alarielle works now.  

New FAQ is up and the woods warscroll changed again. Basically we are back to the broken realms (1-3 pieces, if set as more than 1 piece need to form a circle, not blocking or line of sight and chance to damage gets better with a wizard). 3" from everything count both for the initial woods as well to spell/abilities.

IMG-20210827-WA0004.jpg

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Im looking to get my Sylvaneth updated for 3.0

So any advice on what to get and what to replace would be appreciated. I am looking for the best possible list without adding Alarielle. 

Here is what I have 

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Branchwraith (95)
Branchwraith (95)
Spirit of Durthu (340)
Treelord Ancient (295)
20 x Dryads (190)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dryads (95)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (225)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (225)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (215)

Total: 1855 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114
Drops: 10

I don't think people would disallow using it. Since the FAQ states that is ought to be replaced by the same skill on the warscroll. Quite obviously the point here is that, for instance, living cities, could also use the teleport instead of just sylvaneth.

--

New winterleaf command seems nice with drycha. Double mortals with ranged, right? What was the ruling with flaming weapon & unique's, again? 

Edited by Abstract_duck