AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I'm away from my book, but afaik the Wyldwoods will still try to kill anything not-Sylvaneth regardless of whether it is allied or not. Is there a specific Ironbark exception that fixes this?

The idea I had in my head was putting them in a wood in/near your own deployment. If you walked them in, then they wouldn't need deadly tests. Might be an issue with magic casting nearby though, I agree. 

• Like 1

That's my list for 2.0 age of sigmar:)

TLA 

+1 to save 

ignore -1 rend

spell : regrowth

durthu

-1 to hit melee

bwitch 

+2 to cast (lamentiri)

spell : wildwood set up

bwraith 

spell : move wildwood ( song)

30 dryads

10 dryads 

5 revenant

6 ****** hunters

household

gnarloot

bewind to summon ( I think on bwytch)

tot 1950

what do you think? 3 free command ability, big magic power . Bwytch with balewind and his spell got 18" range with +3 to cast .. Or better give balewind to bwraith?:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

That's my list for 2.0 age of sigmar:)

TLA 

+1 to save 

ignore -1 rend

spell : regrowth

durthu

-1 to hit melee

bwitch 

+2 to cast (lamentiri)

spell : wildwood set up

bwraith 

spell : move wildwood ( song)

30 dryads

10 dryads 

5 revenant

6 ****** hunters

household

gnarloot

bewind to summon ( I think on bwytch)

tot 1950

what do you think? 3 free command ability, big magic power . Bwytch with balewind and his spell got 18" range with +3 to cast .. Or better give balewind to bwraith?:)

still thinking if command abilities are worth, also you are not taking any order wizard is gnarlroot stil worthed?

Edited by vesco

That's good to know;) anyway I don't know if I wanna summon it with bwytch or wraith..the plan is place a new wildwood with witch and move it with song. I don't know is it's worth buff casting for wildwood ( plus lamentiri) or for song. Wrath haven't lamentiri so maybe is better. But witch go a spell that with doble range is 18". It's should be better :)

19 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

That's good to know;) anyway I don't know if I wanna summon it with bwytch or wraith..the plan is place a new wildwood with witch and move it with song. I don't know is it's worth buff casting for wildwood ( plus lamentiri) or for song. Wrath haven't lamentiri so maybe is better. But witch go a spell that with doble range is 18". It's should be better :)

Might be worth it to get the wyldwood spell on the wraith with the + cast item. That way you have more chance of casting both spells and having a wood free to summon the dryads into. Or alternatively don't  cast the woodspell but vortex so you have more range :D.

Edited by Aezeal
  • Like 1

Hello

I'm a returning Player to AOS and Slyvaneth. (was tempted by Idoneth Deepkin but those models are quite expensive money wise).

I know Second edition and the General's handbook 2.0 isn't out yet. But do people think Alarielle is worth feilding?

I haven't got the model and I would love to (though panting would be hard for me), I know a lot of people didn't like her because she wasn't worth her points but now can also get a free summons (Hunters with sycthes seem like a good idea.)

At the momnet I have: The start colletcing box set (treelord, Brachwych and dryads), a unit of tree reverants, a unit of Kurnoth Hunters (with bows) and one more unit of Dyrads.

If I get Alarielle and a Treelord Ancient I should have a viable 2000 point army and a summoanble treelord.

What do people think or should I buy 2 Treelord boxes instead to m,ake a TLA and a Spirit of Durthu?

• Like 1

For 2k points alarielle is very very good! Treelord is the most value summoning but 3 hunters are qite near if you need the points. Alarielle and Gnarrooot m´with branchwraith may be a bit over the top with value because the branchwraith will make its value only slowly back with the summons. I think with alarielle you want to charge her and the summons quite early and make sure you dictate the pace of the game (e.g. with a loremaster buffing her)

I say get another SC box and pile up on dryads and have that TL in reserve!

• Like 1

So my list is a bit similar:

Alarielle

Brachwraith

Branchwych 

2 TLA

30 Driads

2x 5 tree rev

3 kurnoth with bows

Maybe change branchwych for more dryads or tree rev but if u like magic there u have 7 spells each turn so it's very cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoseman said:

So my list is a bit similar:

Alarielle

Brachwraith

Branchwych 

2 TLA

30 Driads

2x 5 tree rev

3 kurnoth with bows

Maybe change branchwych for more dryads or tree rev but if u like magic there u have 7 spells each turn so it's very cool.

Why are you using 2 TLAs? That doesn't make very much sense to me. Also, isn't this well under 2k points?

One other thing to keep in mind, the rule of one for spells still apply. 7 spells is likely overkill unless you're playing games using the new malign sorcery realm specific spells. Even then most realms only have 2 or 3 spells you really want to cast on any given turn.

This goes up 2k but kurnoth will go 20 down so it fits.

The thing on the spells is true and maybe 2 TLA is too much and changing to Drycha is better, or to Durthu. The thing is I could make metamorphosis, shield and bolt with Alarielle, awake woods with TLA, summon dryads with branch and Regrowth with other TLA or branch.

Btw I haven't played yet and I don't own Drycha so maybe I have to buy it and save the other tree to summon with Alarielle

Hey, a quick question:

Can you stack the Free Spirits battalion's movement and the movement the Dreadwood battalion's Sneak attack gives on the same unit? Let us say I set up my Kurnoth Hunters as close as possible to the enemy, then  move them 2 times 5" in the hero phase. A 15" move + charge could prove useful in my next game.

8 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Those abilities work on units in the batallion I think and I don't think the same unit can be part of both batallions. 

I might be wrong about it but the battletome states that a Dreadwood Wargrove may include "0-1 Free Spirits battalion", hence the question.

3 hours ago, Hoseman said:

This goes up 2k but kurnoth will go 20 down so it fits.

The thing on the spells is true and maybe 2 TLA is too much and changing to Drycha is better, or to Durthu. The thing is I could make metamorphosis, shield and bolt with Alarielle, awake woods with TLA, summon dryads with branch and Regrowth with other TLA or branch.

Btw I haven't played yet and I don't own Drycha so maybe I have to buy it and save the other tree to summon with Alarielle

Keep in mind regrowth is a situational cast and bolt/shield are not what they used to be. Shield is now TLAs command ability so casting that is very low priority and bolt does a laughably small amount of damage now. Finally, regrowth is only good on damaged units, so turn one its probably not something you're casting. Just throwing out some things to consider with spell casting. Magic is awesome but should be considered in its entirety.

I used this 2k army against a Blades of Khorne army yesterday and it did well:

Alarielle (Regrowth)

Treelord Ancient (Briarsheath, Regrowth)

Branchwraith (Tear of Grace, Throne of Vines, Verdant Blessing)

Branchwraith (Ranu's Lamentiri, Throne of Vines)

30 Dryads

30 Dryads

10 Dryads

Forest Folk Battalion

Harvestboon Battalion

Quicksilver Swords

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh

Few thoughts from the game:

1) I took the 2 regrowths because my opponent loves to deal out 3x d6 wounds off his slaughterpriests and the battalion.  Needed to have regrowth where I needed it.  May not need 2 of them though in the future.

2) The summoning differences between the 2 armies was much more different than I was expecting.   I summoned in 10 more dryads and a treelord at the beginning of the game, but never got any more summoned as there were always enemies within 9" of my wyldwoods or if I summoned on my wyldwoods in the back they wouldn't play a part in the game.  However, once the blood tithes started coming for his army he started bringing things in late game.  He got in 5 fleshhounds, 20 bloodletters (would have been a bloodthirster if my treelord didn't whiff on a single infantry and give him the 8th blood tithe point) and then 5 bloodletters.  Also, he can move his heroes around and then summon in at the end of the turn which gives a lot of mobility to where they can go, especially with fast heroes like Valkya.

3) The +1 to cast on the branchwraiths really helped during the course of the game to get in the endless spells and to make it harder to cast.  It also came into play twice  to get the d3 mortal wounds from arcane bolt.  The Throne of Vines helps to overcharge it further and to make dispelling better (even important here to dispel one of my endless spells so I could recast.)

4) Speaking of the endless spells I must say the quicksilver swords are great for just doing plain damage.  Even better against chaos where they should average out to 4 mortal wounds a turn.  I managed to kill 2 slaughterpriests and many other infantry with them over the course of the game.  What's nice is that they just have to get close to work.  I didn't get as much out of the geminids as expected.  Having to pass over a model and only moving 8" means it's hard for them to do anything when they're moved at the round.  However, when you summon them and then they pass over the unit doing 2d3 mortal wounds and giving them -1 attacks and -1 to hit in melee is fantastic to blunt that unit and I highly recommend.  Overall, when picking the endless spells it is really important if the spell just has to get near someone or if they have to move over the unit to affect them.  If you haven't physically seen the size of the endless spells having to move over a unit is an issue with their large bases.

5) Without having many command abilities and the TLA's ability being the same as mystic shield I must of used all but 2 of my command points just making the dryads immune to battleshock.  For 2x 30 units with the -1 to hit from a wyldwood they really took a lot of damage to get rid of was awesome.  The amount of stuff they absorbed and stopped from moving was really impressive.

• Like 2

I did actually.  I started with one in the middle, then created one in my backfield in the start of turn 1 with the TLA (could have done it with the spell also)  The problem with jumping them forward the next turn was enemies being too close to the woods they wanted to jump to.  

Also, side note, I only have 80 dryads and 70 of them start on the table in my list.  ;)

• Like 1