AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/13/2018 at 1:05 PM, IndigoGirls said:

Hope it helps make a long video more accessible :)

I found it easy to have on in the background.  I found Vince's slang annoying as I am not overly familiar with the units they spoke of so hearing a nick name was useless and a detriment to the show.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 3:14 PM, Girgutz StormStompa said:

Hey all, me and the fiance are thinking about doing a Sylvaneth army and I simply ADORE Kurnoth Hunters and Dryads, could a army with say 6 squads of kurnoth hunters with a mixture of scythes and bows work? Or are Kurnoth hunters just not worth using?

I'd honestly be very interested in seeing how an army without big wargroves but with 3 units of Dryads and tons of hunters would workout. 2 wraith with regrowth and summon forest and summon dryads (ofc) would but nice in there.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:58 PM, Drillz said:

@scrubyandwells how would you build a non alphastrike dreadwood? Would you be dropping Prime for something else?  I listen to warhammer weekly episode and it seemed to focus on the alphastrike side of dreadwood but less on the non alphastrike. Also looking the past 3 big tournaments dreadwood didn’t seem to be placing that high and people at going for no battalions or gnarlroot or the 1 harvest list. 

I'll follow up with some thoughts soon. To be honest, I still have a hard time seeing Dreadwood as one of our strongest tournament choices, at least in a competitive field; but that may reflect my lack of experience with it vs its actual potential. Usually when writing Dreadwood lists, I see clear flaws, and lists that will have a difficult time vs a lot of the top-end.

16 hours ago, Darkundo said:

Hey guys!

Have you seen Sylvaneth qualified 2nd at the Warhammer Fest Europe?  

Sylvaneth army has lost the final match Vs DoK. 

By the way, I am not able to find the lists of this event: do you know something about it? 

Yes, I uhm might have asked @ragnar72 nicely to derail a discussion in another thread and post the list. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jake3991 said:

Hello all I'm a new sylvaneth player and had a  quick question!

Does anyone have some documentation (FAQ etc) on movement through wyldwoods? Specifically around the trees, can you not finish a move on a tree?

It's terrain. Last thing I read was: trees should be in place. Trees are terrain like any other. If you want to move over the base of the tree then you have to move UP the tree (and later you'll have to move down of course.. taking tons of movement). You are allowed to stand on the leaves since it's terrain (and is counted like any other). I think this is in the FAQ. Basicaly Alarielle can just move on a forest and stand where she wants but a TLA will have to move on the trees taking about his whole M to get up there. How this works with attacking I'm not quite sure.. I'd probably just ignore vertical range for that myself.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:48 PM, Darkundo said:

Hey guys!

Have you seen Sylvaneth qualified 2nd at the Warhammer Fest Europe?  

Sylvaneth army has lost the final match Vs DoK. 

By the way, I am not able to find the lists of this event: do you know something about it? 

Hi.  I lost the last game against the winner of the TOS on table 1. Until that game I could win the other three games. But after the softpoints were added, I finished the tournament only at 8th position.

This was my army and list:

0C930F73-59A0-4C45-80E6-504AE568D14B.jpeg

8E04AD5F-D0ED-4C71-A3F4-A95BE0452D91.jpeg

Edited by Ragnar72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Just seen that the only allies Sylv can take are Stormcast, Wanderers and Idoneth... Sad face :(

Back to the drawing board...!

They can take Deepkin now (I missed that)?  I guess that makes sense since they've written a short story to back date them.  

1 hour ago, Ragnar72 said:

Hi.  I lost the last game against the winner of the TOS on table 1. Until that game I could win the other three games. But after the softpoints were added, I finished the tournament only at 8th position.

This was my army and list:

0C930F73-59A0-4C45-80E6-504AE568D14B.jpeg

8E04AD5F-D0ED-4C71-A3F4-A95BE0452D91.jpeg

Thank you a lot!  So,  what performed well and what wrong? 

Why did you choose to not run any Wargrove? 

• Like 2

So I got my first three games down, they were all 1000 points so nothing serious but I learned alot throughout all my games. I played Stormcast on Scorched Earth, Nurgle on Starstrike and Ironjawz on Total Comittment. All my games were scenario wins, with the tightest one being Stormcast on Scorched earth.

My tree revenants were fantastic at threatening backfield objectives every game, though I realise not every scenario has those sort of objectives to threaten. In the first two games I was able to place down 2 wyldwoods which again let me threaten to teleport to either side of the board, in the third I could only ever place one due to models and terrain.

The branchwych spell was very good, and got me atleast 10 dryads in every game (got me 30 in the last!) the branchwych I wasn't impressed with at all. Kurnoth hutners with Sychthe and bows were very good and dryads in a pack fo 30 were always awesome.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Samanar said:

So Swords are out of question in 2.0 I guess, since most of people tend to use Scythes and Bows. Anyone see a point in taking Swords instead? 

I love taking swords. I would only ever take them in a unit of three as in the unit of six the range of the scythes comes into play, but in a unit of three do more damage against 4+ save or better, and are going to be more effective against things which ignore rend (e.g. nighthaunt)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Darkundo said:

Thank you a lot!  So,  what performed well and what wrong? 

Why did you choose to not run any Wargrove? 

In my opinion every unit performed well and it was the mix of troops that made it easy for me to react to the the different  opponents and scenarios. Alarielle was doing great, because of here healing and the possibility to get a treelord for free.

Maybe the well balanced list and playing without a batallion that can do some special kind of things was the reason why I lost the last game, where I could have needed some special abilities. But the winner with daughters of khaine played also wihout a batallion.

I just prefer having more models on the table instead of a batallion. I would take exact the same army list again, but would learn the different spells from the realm magic, so I can just use them more effectively,

Edited by Ragnar72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Right.  Even Winterleaf, you have Dryads which are combat punch.  Trying to find a way to work my 30 Wardancers into my Sylvaneth :P

Proxy them as dryads... there seems no other way you can do this in a usefull way imho.

Edited by Aezeal

7 hours ago, Samanar said:

So Swords are out of question in 2.0 I guess, since most of people tend to use Scythes and Bows. Anyone see a point in taking Swords instead? 

I used to take 3 scythes/swords and 3 bows pre 2.0. In 2.0 I use 3 swords (only 3 hunters in the list). I already have Alarielle, TLA and TL as hard rendy hitters not to mention I deal ton of MW with magic (gnarlroot 9 spells) which will be focussed against high armor too if possible.. I don't need more rend usually. Against stormcast I might take scythes if I tailor.. but for an all comers tourney I'd go swords. Most opponents don't even have better than 3+ armor save (2+ or 3+ rr.. I guess 4+ rr is scythes too and even armies that do have access too it usually have tons of other targets which are better killed by 4 attack swords and not enough targets for Alarielle, TLA, TL my 9 spells AND 3 scythes).

9 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

So I got my first three games down, they were all 1000 points so nothing serious but I learned alot throughout all my games. I played Stormcast on Scorched Earth, Nurgle on Starstrike and Ironjawz on Total Comittment. All my games were scenario wins, with the tightest one being Stormcast on Scorched earth.

My tree revenants were fantastic at threatening backfield objectives every game, though I realise not every scenario has those sort of objectives to threaten. In the first two games I was able to place down 2 wyldwoods which again let me threaten to teleport to either side of the board, in the third I could only ever place one due to models and terrain.

The branchwych spell was very good, and got me atleast 10 dryads in every game (got me 30 in the last!) the branchwych I wasn't impressed with at all. Kurnoth hutners with Sychthe and bows were very good and dryads in a pack fo 30 were always awesome.

Did you have a nuke Wych (reaping and circlet)? I'm still trying to get that to work but in my recent games (gorepilgrims and Tzeentz) my magic was kinda hampered