AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

What do you guys think of this Harvestboom list? Should I remove one of the battalions?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Seek New Fruit
- Artefact: Crown of Fell Bowers
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
Free Spirits (140)
Outcasts (100)
Gladewyrm (30)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

6 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Hey all!

So as part of my living city CoS I've been starting to get some sylvaneth (inc Alarielle because she's cool) to sort of give me a toolbox of extra units I can use and summon and realised that I basically may as well get the book and field them as a sylvaneth army. I have put together a quick 1k point list including some of the stuff I have / would like to get that I'm hoping should be workable as it contains a bit of range, two heroes and a fair chunk of bodies that hopefully will do me well in low points games. I haven't decided on traits / artefacts / subfaction as I have only just got the book really and haven't been able to sit through and decide which would work best for what I want to achieve. Any C&C would be welcome.

Listy.pdf 5.73 MB · 3 downloads

Welcome to the trees!  My general rule of thumb with Kurnoths is to run Swords in 3s, Scythes in 6s, and Bows in at least 2x3 or even 3x3.  I would build your first Kurnoths as Swords since you mentioned getting Alarielle for CoS (I'm building into CoS myself).   I think it's a pretty good place to start at 1000pts and I love me some Drycha.

For that, I would probably go as Winterleaf if using Sword Kurnoths.  Exploding 6s on melee hit rolls is effectively +1 to hit.  If you were to build this into a full army, my suggested next steps would be to get another 5 Spite-Revs for access to the Outcast battalion, a Start Collecting box for more Dryads, converting B-Wych into a B-Wraith, and either magnetizing the Treeman kit or building as a Treelord Ancient.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

Welcome to the trees!  My general rule of thumb with Kurnoths is to run Swords in 3s, Scythes in 6s, and Bows in at least 2x3 or even 3x3.  I would build your first Kurnoths as Swords since you mentioned getting Alarielle for CoS (I'm building into CoS myself).   I think it's a pretty good place to start at 1000pts and I love me some Drycha.

For that, I would probably go as Winterleaf if using Sword Kurnoths.  Exploding 6s on melee hit rolls is effectively +1 to hit.  If you were to build this into a full army, my suggested next steps would be to get another 5 Spite-Revs for access to the Outcast battalion, a Start Collecting box for more Dryads, converting B-Wych into a B-Wraith, and either magnetizing the Treeman kit or building as a Treelord Ancient.

Thanks for the advice :) The bow kurnoths I have already as they were an ebay grab but I'll definitely pick myself up some sword ones too when I can (nice to have a toolbox of options for alarielle summons and general list building)

Do spite revs work well in 5 man units? Or should I try and look to have the points to up them to larger squads in the batallion? And I presume the treelord ancient is pretty much mandatory due to the extra wyldwoods? Bit of a shame as I'd rather spend the points on bodies but having more woods for shenanigans can definitely be a big plus I'm sure. And finally is winterleaf generally useful for a lot of units? I can see spites loving exploding 6's with their volume of attacks but don't know if at higher points with more kurnoths such as scythe units I'd be better off looking into other subfactions.

15 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Thanks for the advice :) The bow kurnoths I have already as they were an ebay grab but I'll definitely pick myself up some sword ones too when I can (nice to have a toolbox of options for alarielle summons and general list building)

Do spite revs work well in 5 man units? Or should I try and look to have the points to up them to larger squads in the batallion? And I presume the treelord ancient is pretty much mandatory due to the extra wyldwoods? Bit of a shame as I'd rather spend the points on bodies but having more woods for shenanigans can definitely be a big plus I'm sure. And finally is winterleaf generally useful for a lot of units? I can see spites loving exploding 6's with their volume of attacks but don't know if at higher points with more kurnoths such as scythe units I'd be better off looking into other subfactions.

3x5 Spites plus Outcast is generally taken to fulfill the battleline requirements and get an extra artefact and command point for only 280pts.  They can do okay in larger groups but remember that they are on 32mm bases with a 1" reach.  Groups of 10 are probably the best if you want to not run them at min squads.  Spite-Revs have a tendency to die when looked at wrong.  

My opinion only, is that if you want to really utilize the Wyldwoods, you need a TLA. It's also a decent support monster hero to protect an artefact since it has a 3+ save and 12 wounds.  If you decide to go Kurnoth heavy, having a TLA with a Vesperal Gem and the Verdurous Harmony spell is awesome.  You can bring back a dead Kurnoth model for free and your opponent can't counter it.  I like doing that in Gnarlroot with the TLA as the general because you also get to heal something for D3 for free with the spellcast.  At 260, TLA is fine.  View it as utility and not offense or defense.

Winterleaf is a popular one also because the artefact can swing the tide of battle.  It's still good with a bunch of Kurnoths because you can get them to re-roll 1s with the Arch-Rev.  Seeing a big Scythe unit with +1 Attack, re-rolling 1s, 6s exploding, and the double attack artefact being used will take down just about anything. Dreadwood has been the popular one for tournaments because you can teleport without relying on getting woods down.

• Like 1

@Pennydude thanks for the rundown! It's always helpful to get advice and opinions on ways to utilise units and abilities :)

Spites are something I was considering going large squads on as I quite like them but if I grab enough for the battalion I can still try them out at different sizes, I like the price of 20 but the 32mm bases and 1inch range is perhaps a point against that. Something to test out with the 15 for outcasts at least :) The more I'm reading and learning about sylvaneth the more it's looking like they can be built in a lot of different ways and be fun, that's definitely a big plus for me for an army!

Edited by Lightbox

3 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

@Pennydude thanks for the rundown! It's always helpful to get advice and opinions on ways to utilise units and abilities :)

Spites are something I was considering going large squads on as I quite like them but if I grab enough for the battalion I can still try them out at different sizes, I like the price of 20 but the 32mm bases and 1inch range is perhaps a point against that. Something to test out with the 15 for outcasts at least :) The more I'm reading and learning about sylvaneth the more it's looking like they can be built in a lot of different ways and be fun, that's definitely a big plus for me for an army!

No problem.  The issue the army runs into is that we fold to mortal wounds, don't have a ton of movement, no bonuses to cast/unbind and others I'm sure.  Our shooting is expensive and the woods don't do anything against the shooting and magic from KO/Seraphon/LRL/Tzeentch.  

I really enjoy playing the army and will be sticking with it for a long time.  I'm also building Living City and there are some dirty things that Sylvaneth can do in that army.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

No problem.  The issue the army runs into is that we fold to mortal wounds, don't have a ton of movement, no bonuses to cast/unbind and others I'm sure.  Our shooting is expensive and the woods don't do anything against the shooting and magic from KO/Seraphon/LRL/Tzeentch.  

I really enjoy playing the army and will be sticking with it for a long time.  I'm also building Living City and there are some dirty things that Sylvaneth can do in that army.

Good to know! I'll  keep an eye out against mortal wound heavy armies, my local club is a bit of a mix of casual and 'competetive' (not tournament level thankfully for my casual self) so hopefully I should be able to have some pretty fun matchups even against tougher opponents. And yeah the shoot & move command ability looks pretty fun for a fair few units, especially for flinging a drycha or alarielle into a unit or onto an objective for a bit of a giggle. It was one of the reasons I wanted some bow kurnoths to allow that movement.

I presume that since awakened wyldwoods have the overgrown wilderness rule model height for them isn't too big an issue? I was wanting to build some coastal themed ones to fit my army theme a bit better  (coral colour scheme & tricorns) and probably won't be able to realistically get the height their trees usually go up to (unless i find some good scale palm trees), also less height makes for easier storage and transport.

I am thinking about attending a tournament in November. What could I make with the below units that would be viable? I play casually so I usually proxy stuff but below is what I actually have built and painted. I might be able to get another box of something painted and built by then but I have my doubts. If I had to get one more box of something what should it be?

3 wyldwoods

2 branchwraiths

20 dryads

15 spites

10 tree revs

6 k hunters with scythes

3 k hunters bows

3 k hunters swords

Endless spells

Drycha

Treelord ancient

Spirit of durthu

Arch Rev

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi folks,

I have one question: If I fight with a Durthu VS Hermdar Hearthguar Berzerkers, is it true that my stomp will never do anything against his CA?

(Command Ability: start of combat phase pick one friendly VKB or HGB unit wholly within 12” of Hermdar hero, the unit fights at start of the combat phase before other players)

If he charges me, he can fight first before I stomp and if I charge him, I stomp him  and he activates the CA afterwards and fights first anyway...

13 minutes ago, Craze said:

Hi folks,

I have one question: If I fight with a Durthu VS Hermdar Hearthguar Berzerkers, is it true that my stomp will never do anything against his CA?

(Command Ability: start of combat phase pick one friendly VKB or HGB unit wholly within 12” of Hermdar hero, the unit fights at start of the combat phase before other players)

If he charges me, he can fight first before I stomp and if I charge him, I stomp him  and he activates the CA afterwards and fights first anyway...

I believe that you are correct in that the stomps don't really do anything.

The timing of how all that interacts is something I hope gets fixed in the AoS 3.0 which is rumored to come out next summer.

On 9/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, Pennydude said:

I made a pretty thorough rundown of my typical Gnarlroot list on The Honest Wargamer: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/the-trees-are-buzzing/

This would be my default list that I'd take to just about everywhere.  Is it the best list we have?  Probably not.  To me, it's consistent at everything.  It is light on bodies and I fully acknowledge that.

Are your KHs doing a good job holding objectives?

19 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Are your KHs doing a good job holding objectives?

It depends on what they can kill but otherwise yea, I can move them onto objectives and force my opponent to run face first into the blender.  I took 9 bows to a doubles tournament and was not afraid to get them onto an objective if needed.  The list has enough shooting so it can help thin a big counterplay, pick off heroes, or whittle down monsters.  I typically run TLA + 6 Scythes as one group to anchor down on a key point and then have Drycha + 3 Swords run around picking off other things.  It's definitely a list that wins objectives by killing your opponent off them.

I have some ideas for 60+ Dryads that I'd like to try out at some point, just don't think I'll be getting any in-person games in anytime soon.

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

Been playing sylv for a while and trying out all sort of things. Will be going to a small tournee in november and was wondering if i could get sone feedback on a list that i've been working on.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Gnarlroot
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar
Drycha Hamadreth (300)
Spirit of Durthu (300)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
Free Spirits (140)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

The tournament will run the missions

Scorched earth

Focal points

Places of arcane power.

So a lot of focus on hero's and monsters. Considering there is enough time for at max 3 rounds and the popularity for OBR/ KO to go more shooting combined with drycha/durthu and spiteswarm to outflank.

Reason i took the free spirit batallion instead of forest folk is so i can drop my dryads first and see where my opponent puts something nice to shoot at for my ranged stuff.

Tnx in advance for your feedback : )

21 hours ago, Pennydude said:

It depends on what they can kill but otherwise yea, I can move them onto objectives and force my opponent to run face first into the blender.  I took 9 bows to a doubles tournament and was not afraid to get them onto an objective if needed.  The list has enough shooting so it can help thin a big counterplay, pick off heroes, or whittle down monsters.  I typically run TLA + 6 Scythes as one group to anchor down on a key point and then have Drycha + 3 Swords run around picking off other things.  It's definitely a list that wins objectives by killing your opponent off them.

I have some ideas for 60+ Dryads that I'd like to try out at some point, just don't think I'll be getting any in-person games in anytime soon.

Hmm good to know, Thanks.  I appreciate the clear explanation.  

I have 70 Dryads,.. and to be honest... I'm thinking 20 man could be a good sweet spot.  I struggle with 3 5-man Spites cause they'll just die as chaff bumps which is fine but for obj holding you want something more durable and Dryads still fill that roll.  And then you can counter punch with the bigger stuff.  I guess you have a different tactic and I'm not good at Sylvaneth this book (yet hopefully).  

Hi! I have always been a sylvaneth player since the beginning of aos. I played many many matches and tournaments with them; however, when the last battletome arrived, I didn't like it, so I stopped playing them. 

Yesterday finally I had my first match since the new book was released. I played against idoneth, the game was very good because until the end the result was unknown and it was a balanced game. 

I tried an aggressive list:

Harvestboon

2x spirit of durthu 

2x branchwraith

1 arch revenant

3x 3 kurnoth scythe

20 dryads 

10 spite

5 spite

Free spirit battalion and extra cp. 

I was very rusty, so I need to play more games, but the impression was not so bad as I figured out at the release of the battletome.  Of course, the ambition are not winning tournament, but just have fun and change playstile from other armies I am used to play 

(sorry for my English) 

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I was wondering, has anybody tried running multiple units of Tree Revenants? Either 5-man squads or maybe even bigger units like 10, 15 or even 20? They have absolutely no defense, but with their teleport and rerolling dice mechanic, they should be a thing the opponent has to look out for, no? 5-man squads can do mostly nothing, but I was wondering if bigger squads could be worth it. Their 32mm bases and 1" reach are a problem, but then I remembered that they can pile-in 6", so maybe that negates the weakness of the big bases a bit?

I haven't tried anything other than a 5-man squad as a teleport threat, so these are just some thoughts.

1 minute ago, martinwolf said:

Hello everyone! I was wondering, has anybody tried running multiple units of Tree Revenants? Either 5-man squads or maybe even bigger units like 10, 15 or even 20? They have absolutely no defense, but with their teleport and rerolling dice mechanic, they should be a thing the opponent has to look out for, no? 5-man squads can do mostly nothing, but I was wondering if bigger squads could be worth it. Their 32mm bases and 1" reach are a problem, but then I remembered that they can pile-in 6", so maybe that negates the weakness of the big bases a bit?

I haven't tried anything other than a 5-man squad as a teleport threat, so these are just some thoughts.

Whenever I'm able to get a game in next, I'm trying one squad of 10 TRs.  I've learned that while 5 is enough for your opponent to recognize, they don't seem to kill anything.  Now, 10 bodies that can teleport and charge can actually kill a small hero to take a backline objective.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:01 AM, Pennydude said:

Dish the dirt :)  I'm an old WE player always looking to add in Sylvaneth into my CoS :)

On 9/20/2020 at 6:45 AM, Pennydude said:

Could always do the Alarielle plus triple Durthu list :)

It's a fun list to try, I support this.

I played two games versus a Skryre today.  I tried Dreadwood for the CA teleport.  My list is below. 

TLA - General - Paragon of Terror

Spirit of Durthu - Jewel of Withering

Branchwraith - Spiritsong Stave/Throne of Vines

Arch-Revenant

3 Kurnoth Hunters - Scythes

30 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

5 Tree Revenants

Free Spirits Battalion

Spiteswarm Hive

1 Command Point

I got pretty much hosed by the shooting.  I didn’t win one priority roll over both games.  I did as much as possible to avoid the Windlaunchers but his Stormfiends were just deleting units.  I’m not sure what can be done to mitigate against shooting in Sylvaneth right now.  Even the TLA/Spirit of Durthu are so susceptible to shooting.  Does anyone have any advice for surviving in the shooting meta?

On 9/27/2020 at 12:45 AM, Rhetoric said:

I played two games versus a Skryre today.  I tried Dreadwood for the CA teleport.  My list is below. 

TLA - General - Paragon of Terror

Spirit of Durthu - Jewel of Withering

Branchwraith - Spiritsong Stave/Throne of Vines

Arch-Revenant

30 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

5 Tree Revenants

Free Spirits Battalion

Spiteswarm Hive

1 Command Point

I got pretty much hosed by the shooting.  I didn’t win one priority roll over both games.  I did as much as possible to avoid the Windlaunchers but his Stormfiends were just deleting units.  I’m not sure what can be done to mitigate against shooting in Sylvaneth right now.  Even the TLA/Spirit of Durthu are so susceptible to shooting.  Does anyone have any advice for surviving in the shooting meta?

Could you delete some units yourself by alpha striking?