AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

ETC finally finished, I can focus on the new BT now! 

So far, I've tried the following:

Winterleaf - Ghyran 

LEADERS
Durthu
- General
- Command Trait : My Heart is Ice
- Artefact : Ghyrstrike
TLA
- Artefact : Frozen Kernel
- Deepwood Spell : Treesong
Branchwraith

-Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith
-Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony

UNITS
30 x Dryads
20 x Dryads
10 x Dryads

3 x Kurnoth Hunters
- Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters
- Greatswords

Spiteswarm Hive
Vengeful Skullroot

Forest Folk Battalion

vs an IJ. 

I won. Durthu & TLA won me the games with their stomps :D
Kurnoths w/ swords are solid as well. 

I am thinking of changing the TLA for Drycha: a little bit more of offensive potential, but I lose 1 stomp and an auto awakened wyldwood. Dunno if it is worth it, but I want to play Drycha. I think she can dish quite some dmg in Winterleaf.

Otherwise, I am thinking of playing Harvestboon, I think Harvestboon is as interesting as Winterleaf: The trait is reaaaaally strong & the +1A ability works well on DurthuS. Yes, a couple of Durthu.
Cuz one is not enough!

With that in mind, I'm gonna try this one next:

Harvestboon - Ghyran 

LEADERS
Durthu
- General
- Command Trait : Seek New Fruit
- Artefact : Ghyrstrike
Durthu
- Artefact : Silent Sickle
Branchwraith

-Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith
-Deepwood Spell: Treesong

UNITS
30 x Dryads
20 x Dryads
20 x Dryads

3 x Kurnoth Hunters
- Greatswords

Spiteswarm Hive
Gladewyrm

Forest Folk

I start with 2 CPs (1 battalion and 1 extra for 50 pts). Dryads are objective holders and screens, giving me 3 possible blobs. 
Regrowth and Gladewyrm for healing. Spiteswarm for reroll saves of 1 (and sometimes extra move/charge). 
General Durthu goes hit'n run, the other one is hitting stuff with Treesong making him a little bit more reliable. 

3 Kurnoths & 10 dryads can be swapped for a TLA for extra awakened wyldwood or Drycha. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Potentially, yes. But if you can keep their prime targets away from key positions out of fear of the Kernel then that’s still useful.

If they put up a blocking screen then you aren’t obliged to chew through it. I’ve had successful games where I looked at a blob of chaff infantry and just decided to ignore it so my opponent then had the pain of blocking himself 

I mean more that the type of unit you use on it will be very strong (durthu/hunter/alarielle). They could, hypothetically remove models in such a way to prevent you piling in again. Not always possible - especially with multiple units in a combat, but worth considering.

8 hours ago, The World Tree said:

I mean more that the type of unit you use on it will be very strong (durthu/hunter/alarielle). They could, hypothetically remove models in such a way to prevent you piling in again. Not always possible - especially with multiple units in a combat, but worth considering.

That’s more possible with a single strong model like Durthu, and Alarielle with her fat base. It’s far less likely with a unit of hunters. Even if you don’t remove all of the blocking unit then you probably move enough to get some of your hunters past to the high value target while the others mop up survivors.

if you don’t think you can remove enough of the screen on the first attack then that’s the scenario I mentioned - just don’t bother using the Kernel in that situation. And consider letting you opponent block himself in behind that infantry blob. 

But mostly this just boils down to the fact that tactics on the table will need to take things into account. Any ability or artefact can be countered by a good player. There is nothing special about the Kernel in that. 

• Like 1

Hey guys. I just  went 3-0 at a one-day tourney in South Carolina. This was the same location where I went 2-1 last month. So overall I am 5-1 with the new book and so I wanted to give a quick summary of my takeaways. Scroll to the bottom for a summary of my list.

Spites - Absolute MVPs. They are insanely good. They are perfectly capable on their own, but they become top tier with Arch Rev, Drycha, and/or Glade buffs. I prefer to deploy them really wide so that they can envelop units they charge to maximize attacks. 

Treelord - Consistently disappointing. His biggest contribution was his relatively reliable shooting  and the second teleport he provides.  I am strongly considering dropping him for something else.  (maybe kurnoth hunters or even a Celestar Ballista). Its a shame because I really love the model, but he just brackets too quickly. I struggle to find situations where Hunters aren't the better choice. 

Hunters (swords) - Great as usual. No need to elaborate as we all know they are great. Note that this is my one and only choice for summoning with Alarielle. 

Alarielle - Good but the base size can be exploited by experienced opponents. Metamorphisis and the heal aura were extremely good, but I continue to weigh those against her cost, even with her 200pt "free" summon. Her combats were wildly inconsistent. Sometimes she would deal 10-13 wounds and other times she would whiff entirely. Its extremely annoying when the Stag impact hits knock units below 5 models :S I love the "wow" factor she brings to the table, but I can't help but wonder if 6 Hunters  and a Branchwych/wraith wouldn't have done more. 

Arch Rev - Great item/command trait caddy, objective grabber, and CP hose. Call to battle was instrumental on Kurnoth Hunters and Spites.

Tree Revs - Always take a unit of 5! Aside from objective grabbing, they also can drop in front of scary (non-flying) units and delay them a turn.

Drycha - Easily the second place MVP - I kept her in shooting mode 99% of the time. The AP on the Flutterflies is nice and she can reach surprisingly far with her high movement + range. 

Gladewyrm - The jury is still out on this guy. I took him so I had something to cast on turn 1 (and because the model is dope). I usually failed the 3+ when it counted, but the large base ended up making a few critical blocks. I will likely continue to take him as 30pts is very cheap for an endless spell.

Winterleaf

-Alarielle (w/  3 sword Hunters)

-Drycha

-Arch Rev

-20 Spites

-20 Spites

-5 Tree Revs

-3 Sword Hunters

-Treelord

-Gladewyrm

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Gladewyrm - The jury is still out on this guy. I took him so I had something to cast on turn 1 (and because the model is dope). I usually failed the 3+ when it counted, but the large base ended up making a few critical blocks. I will likely continue to take him as 30pts is very cheap for an endless spell.

That has been exactly my experience. The wyrm has limited offensive or healing value given the random roll, but it makes a nice 30 point filler and works well as a “safe” base blocker. 

The real star of the faction spells is the hive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

That has been exactly my experience. The wyrm has limited offensive or healing value given the random roll, but it makes a nice 30 point filler and works well as a “safe” base blocker. 

The real star of the faction spells is the hive. 

Yea I also like that the Sylvaneth endless spells can't be used against you. Nothing is more frustrating than having something you paid points for (and used a limited cast on) turn against you.

The wyrm's biggest perks (aside from the low points cost and large base size) is the potential to get both affects off in the same turn. This actually helped swing a crucial combat when it healed a Hunter by 2 wounds and did the final wound to a troll. Not bad!

My biggest complaint is the "wholly within 6 inches" part of the rule. Since Alarielle is on a 6.4 inch base, she can never benefit from it. Feels like an oversight. :(

Hey all,

So another truncated report from my last AoS game. I won’t do a full blow-by-blow battle report here for time a space considerations bu tI thought I would just touch on a few things learned, noticed and decided regarding the game. 

Played a Winterleaf vs a Sequitor and shooting-heavy Stormcast list on duality of death. 

From what I remember my opponent took

2 x 10 Sequitors
1 x 5 Sequitors
1 x 5 Evocators
1 x 5 castigators (battalion)
2 Ballistas (battalion)
1 Lord Aquillor
1  Lord ordinator
1 additional caster (dont remember exactly which) 
meteor
dias

I took

TLA (vesperal gem, with verdurous harmony)
Arch Rev (general with kernel)
Drycha 
Branchwraith
20 drayds
5 tree revs
3 x 5 spites
6 x scythe hunters
TL

We used the terrain set-up rules from the errated GHB. I took 3 Wyldwoods as my 3 major terrain pieces while my opponent took 3 unique features which we generated traits for. Due to placement, the unique rules never really came into play. Battleplan was Duality of Death (objectives) can only be held by battleline/hero units within 3” of an objective, and cant be held if you move away), VP’s scored at the end of your turn depending on how long you’ve controlled the objective.

His set up his entire shooty battalion in the sky, as well as the 5 Evocators. 1 unit of 10 sequitors and the Aquillor on my right, and the 10 Sequitors, 5 sequitors and caster on my left.  I had my TLA, TL, revs on my left, and drycha, hunters, archy and wraith on my right all screened by a wood. Dryads and spites off the board.

In my matches so far, I’ve been planning on taking second turn. I don’t think we are as heavily dependent on getting first turn as we were in the past, and I’ve been testing this. In this scenario however, I was gunning for first turn, and as such positioned my woods aggressively with the intention of getting on the objectives first, bunkering (like the good old days) and waiting out the storm(cast) scoring VP’s. Unfortunately, I paid the price for my agressive deployment. He won first turn, ran his sequitors on both sides onto the objectives  (one which could be held while in cover). Dropped his entire shooty battalion onto the board and took my TL off in a single round of shooting. 

This made the rest of the match a serious uphill battle for me. Not only did I begin my first turn down 200pts (thanks to my lost TL) but I had nothing on my left flank to challenge the sequitors holding the objective. He already controlled both objectives before the end of the first turn, and to have a chance I needed to take at least 1 objective by the end of the second turn, and would have to take the other by the end of the 3rd. 

So I changed my strategy. I dropped the TLA’s free wood on my left and sent him across the board to one of the forests dropped during terrain placement (more on this later) on my right. I also brought in the dryads around the newly positioned TLA and brought the hunters up to threaten the sequitors on my right. Drycha also switched sides, taking the TLA’s place to threaten the objective on my left. 

I’m normally a cautious player, and prefer to hold once per battle abilities till the middle or end game when I Reeeaalllyy need to break a key unit. But since objectives are worth more Vp’s the longer they are held: ain’t nobody got time for that. I failed a 4” charge on my hunters,  paid a CP to reroll and made the charge. I forgot a battlalion grants an extra CP, so I didn’t use archy’s Ability (which would have made a substantial difference) . Even attacking twice from the kernel it took 3 whole rounds of combat to remove those sequitors (3+ armor saves, rerolling failed, and 2 wounds apiece are no joke). I lost 3 hunters in the process (he brought the evocators down top of turn 2) but since the TLA was there, I was able to bring back 2 by the bottom of round 3. 

Meanwhile, drycha was able to wrestle control of the other objective by top of round 3. One of the terrain drop woods was just to the right of that objective, effectively screening her from the ballistas and casigators. She only held the objective for a single turn, but it was enough to keep him from snowballing VP’s at least and reset the counter. 

Turn 4 second half. The score is currently 9-7. He pretty solidly holds the left objective and I solidly hold the right. My hunters are 30” or so away, and my dryads or TLA need to stay there to hold the objective. I have nothing on my left to take the objective, and he has 4 sequitors, his caster (3 wounds left) and 5 castigors. He will score 3 points in his next turn if he controls it, and I will score 4 holding mine. (Giving him a victory 12-11). 

So I attempted a Hail Mary pass. TLA brought back a hunter (making the unit 6 models again) wraith summoned a wood so the hunters were within 6”. Both the TLA and hunters teleported to the right side of the board. Both the TLA and the hunters made their 9” charges. The TLA pretty efficiently locked down one of the ballistas, preventing it from shooting next turn. 

My goal in charging the hunters was to take out his sequitors and hero so I could bring in some dryads and take the objective next turn. Unfortunately he had positioned his castigators between the hunters and the sequitors in order to take Drycha out the previous turn. Thankfully I had rolled an 11” charge. It wasn't enough to get the hunters within range of the sequitors by itself, but thanks to some clever positioning, I was able to get at least the huntsmaster within 2” after pile-in.

Combat saw the the hunters wipe out the castigators completely and the sequitors down to 1 man. He still controlled the objective however and used a CP to keep the last guy from running. Since it was my turn, he did not score any VP’s.

Top of turn 5 he took the initiative. He attempted to shoot the hunters out, but only managed to kill 2 since the other ballista was still locked down fighting the TLA. Hunters wiped everything out in the combat phase. I couldn’t score the objective since it wasn’t my turn and I had no battleline units, but neither could he since he had no heroes or BL units within 3”. He conceded since the store was closing. Final score 9-11 with a major victory for me

The game was a bit sloppy since I was tired and we both forgot some buffs and rules. But neither of us really felt those mistakes influence the game all that much. A couple of things were pretty clear:

Scythes statistically aren’t as good as swords on paper. But in practice that 2” reach is a significant advantage. 10 sequitors in cover have a 3+ save RR failed makes scythes a really effective choice, especially since rr happen before modifiers turning rolls of 4 into wounds regardless of rr’s. 

Drycha is pure murder. -2 rend is something to worry about however. 

Winterleaf is super brutal with a hunter group that big, and having Archy nearby makes them that much more effective. Losing 1 hunter means losing 3 attacks base, but 5 hunters get an extra 5 dice effectively making the unit hit at just above full strength. Also the change to stomp is really really good. Not having to have every hunter in range makes a big difference when your spread out fighting 2-3 units and you really need to pull 2-3 wounds off a final stubborn model.

The other thing I want to mention is that since we used the matched play terrain rules with “wyldwoods” as ”awakened wyldwoods”, by the end of the game the field had 6 woods on it (old models). Of those woods, only 1 of the “terrain woods” was especially useful. We never actually fought in the woods so the roused to wrath never really came into play. Only 1 time during the game were there any units within 1” during the charge phase and both rolls of 6+ failed. It certainly gave me more movement options,  but of the 6 woods on the board only 3 where very useful and 1 was summoned later game (a critical wood, but only in that turn). I’m fairly confident that I could gotten the critical woods out even without the matched play terrain rules (TLA’s drop was used frequently, the faction wood could have subbed in for 1 of the terrain pieces and the other 2 could have been summoned instead of the other spells I chose to cast. (There were a couple of spells that were cast that turned out not to be particularly useful: the worm for instance did nothing this match.)) 

It was interesting to play a match that required I be aggressive before I was ready to be. Usually I take turn 1, and maybe 1/2 of turn 2 to set up my positions to really make things happen in turns 3-5. But snowballing VP’s aren’t something you can afford to do that with. 

I’m very interested in playing some of the other wargroves, specifically Gnarlroot and Dreadwood but I’m still building/painting the models for that (since I really try not to play with unpainted models), so it might be a few weeks. I did manage to get my hands on the last copy of looncurse in my FLGS. So super pumped for that.

More to come as I get more games in. 

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I played a game last week as part of an ongoing Firestorm campaign that we never got round  to playing in 1E. Due to people being away over the summer, this was the first campaign game where I was using the new book. 

I knew going in that I would be playing Total Commitment against a local FEC player with a fondness for Crypt Flayers, so terrain and mobility would be a problem for me but not for him. For the first time in the campaign, I was playing a full 2000 points (several previous games I had been 300-400 points down on my opponents, and the last time I faced this FEC army he was on 1700 to my 1300 point list) do took the following:

Winterleaf glade

Outcasts

Alarielle - Throne of vines

Drycha - Regrowth

Arch revenant - General, Frozen kernel

Branchwraith - Vesperal Gem, Verdurous Harmony

Branchwraith - Verdurous Harmony

3x 5 Spite Revenants 

6x Kurnoths Hunters with scythes 

Spiteswarm Hive

Gladewyrm

My plan was to cover one objective with Drycha and the spites, using spites to screen Drycha while she used her ranged attack, until she was ready to pile into combat. Alarielle would fly out to pressure the least defended enemy objective, summon whatever was necessary to take and hold it and plan from there. The hunters would start central but teleport wherever necessary to support Drycha or Alarielle, or simply defend their home objective of the fight came to them. The arch rev could fly fast enough to provide the Kernel in most places, one wraith would support the hunters and the other would summon Dryads as usual  

He took a court-free FEC list with something like this:

Crypt Flayer Courtier - general

Ghoul king on Terrorgheist

Abhorrant Archregent

12x Crypt Flayers

3x Crypt Flayers

3x Crypt Flayers

Plus a few spells

He deployed the Terrorgheist on his left flank with the two smaller units of CFs threatening my forward objective. His other leaders camped out in his central objective with the blob of 12 CFs. He left his forward objective (his right and my left) undefended.

I had my free wyldwood just my side of the angled  territory line in the centre and blocking my central objective. Drycha and the spites to my right covering the objective facing his Terrorgheist, hunters and smaller leaders to the centre behind the wyldwood and Alarielle close but a little to the left. 

He took first turn to complete his deployment. He summoned another small unit of CFs to cover the exposed objective  and a Varghoul to support his leader blob in the centre. He failed to cast/I unbound his key movement buff spells so he wasn’t confident he could get early charges into my line and settled for shuffling things forward in the centre and on his left (small CF units screening the Terrorgheist). He scored 2 vps from objectives. 

My first turn Drycha summoned a wyldwood in front of the Terrorgheist/CF block and Alarielle summoned the Hive in buff range of the hunters and all the small leaders, buffing all but one branchwraith .  I also got the Gladewyrm out and just had the range to attack his front line, inflicting a single wound on the 12 CF block. Spites advances to cover my right flank and Drycha edged into shooting range and rolled poorly to inflict 2 wounds on a CF unit. Hunters teleported to the new wood while Alarielle flew over to just outside range of his objective to my right and summoned 3 sword hunters to threaten the 3 CFs there. The arch Rev ran an astonishing 19” to keep the scythe Hunters in range of the Kernel and the Hunters charged into the Terrorgheist/CF blob. Under the arch rev buff and frozen kernel, they munched happily through all six CFs and the Terrorgheist without retaliation. I score my own objectives to bring the score to 2:2. 

He won the roll for first turn and decided the scythe hunters were too big a threat to ignore. Lots of moving, shooting and charging happened with the big CF block, and the various leaders behind them followed for mutual support. Thanks to Ferocious Hunger and his FEC command ability to have the 12 CFs pile in and attack twice (We get it as a single use artefact, he has it as a free command ability) all of my scythe hunters died. But only just - I think he had only one more wound than he needed to kill the last hunter. He took the view that Alarielle plus sword hunters would kill his other flank so had charged to get at least some damage in there too but the sword hunters attacked first and killed the CFs before they got a chance. As one hunter was just in range of the objective, he only scored for his central objective to go 3:2 up. 

My second turn I spotted an opportunity. To support the 12 hunter blob, he had moved the Crypt Flayer Courtier and the Varghulf away from the objective, with the Abhorrant Archregent only just in range of it behind some scenery to the right from my perspective. Alarielle cast Throne of Vines then summoned a new Wyldwood on the left side then moved to get a clear shot at the Archregent, inflicting 4 wounds. After some other generic spell casting (one wraith summoned Dryads) Drycha teleported to the new wood, just in range of the objective on the opposite side from the Archregent  and shot him to take control. Other stuff moved about a bit. Still holding both of my objectives and now both of his, I went 10:3 up. 

He won first turn again, moved his blob to kill Drycha and retake his rear objective to go 10:4, but there was nothing he could do to stop me going 15:4 on my turn. He agreed that his CF blob couldn’t cover both of his objectives and take mine even if they did run down Alarielle (which was unlikely in itself) so there was no way he could realistically do more than maintain the gap. We called it after three turns. 

Overall, I think he struggled having so much invested in such a huge unit of Crypt Flayers, but he had planned to have multiple small units and a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist as well, so removing those was definitely the right play. He felt that in an indefinitely long game his blob would have caught Alarielle and been unstoppable. My only response was that the game isn’t indefinitely long, and he certainly couldn’t win in 5 turns. He was also surprised that I “threw away” Drycha so easily, but for the 3 points and fixing him to deal with her that seemed obvious.

Overall thoughts are that stacking buffs on the Hunters is incredible. 6 scythes with an extra attack, rerolling 1s, with the Kernel is so absurdly good that I’ll struggle not to include it in every list. Exploding 6s from a Winterleaf were nice too, but definitely overkill in this case. 

Alarielle absolutely still has a place. Her mobility is fantastic when Wyldwood teleports are more limited, and summoning after her move helps open up new fronts.

Next up, I’m facing the Slaanesh army that is currently in the lead. Any advice on facing them is most welcome. I’m currently thinking of a lot of Treelord types to offset their ability to make me attack last, plus some more ranged attack options. Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Whats the current opinion on which is the better killing machine between TLA with Winterleaf or Drycha ?

For context, I'm looking at playing a 1200 game with:

Branchwraith

2x3 Kurnoths

Arch Revenant

10 Dryads

5 Tree Revenants

10 Spite Revenants

Leaving me with enough space for either Drycha or TLA.

With TLA I'll make him general, take Winterleaf. Plus 20points for an endless spell.

With Drycha, she can't be buffed with Winterleaf. So instead Wraith becomes the general, and I take Gnarlroot (to improve Dryad summoning) or Glade Lore and Spirit Song (get more casts for more woods).

In both lists I'll give the big guy regrowth, shield with spites, and go kill. Archie stays with the Kurnoths. Tree Revs and Dryads take objectives.

Drycha can be buffed with a Winterleaf, she just can’t benefit from being the general. She still benefits from the exploding 6s (only the original gives a mortal wound, the second hit just rolls to wound as normal) and she can absolutely benefit from the Frozen Kernel. 

Make the Arch rev the general and give her the Kernel, then let Drycha go to town. 

The advantage of the TLA is the guaranteed wyldwood and being slightly tougher. But Drycha is a better killing machine by far. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

Drycha can be buffed with a Winterleaf, she just can’t benefit from being the general. She still benefits from the exploding 6s (only the original gives a mortal wound, the second hit just rolls to wound as normal) and she can absolutely benefit from the Frozen Kernel. 

Make the Arch rev the general and give her the Kernel, then let Drycha go to town. 

The advantage of the TLA is the guaranteed wyldwood and being slightly tougher. But Drycha is a better killing machine by far. 

Yes, your right. Think I just rejected that as an option without thinking it through.

Guess my worry is that Archie will be following the Kurnoths so might be out of range of Drycha, but I could just kernel the Kurnoths if needed.

8 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Overall thoughts are that stacking buffs on the Hunters is incredible. 6 scythes with an extra attack, rerolling 1s, with the Kernel is so absurdly good that I’ll struggle not to include it in every list. Exploding 6s from a Winterleaf were nice too, but definitely overkill in this case. 

Alarielle absolutely still has a place. Her mobility is fantastic when Wyldwood teleports are more limited, and summoning after her move helps open up new fronts.

It’s funny that you mention how how exploding 6’s were overkill, because in the games I’ve played with the new book, I’ve noticed the same thing.

In the last game I played, I probably forgot that 6’s explode in 25% of the combats, and still had no problem taking entire units off the board with Drycha and 6 scythe hunters. My reasoning for taking 6 hunters was mostly for the wound pool, as its much more difficult to take 30 wounds off table in two rounds of combat than 2 groups of 15. The ability to swing with all six hunters at once (rather than in alternating activations), is also really helpful, but with that much firepower concentrated in a single unit I’ve found I didn’t really need the extra attacks. 

Call me a heretic, but I’m wondering in this case if perhaps 6 scythe hunters aren’t the “most optimum” choice for a Winterleaf warglade. Yes, they can easily take stuff off the board, but as I said above, they don’t really need Winterleaf to do that; especially if Archy is there to give extra attacks and RR 1’s to hit (possibly doubling up with Alarielle giving RR 1’s to wound). 

I say this because I noticed was after the hunters murder whatever it is they are supposed to murder, they are often stuck in place for at least a turn, and it often takes at least another turn to get them into combat somewhere else. That means unless you get them into and out of combat early (by turn 2-3) they won’t be able to close the gap to affect other area of the board. In my game, I’ll admit I was a bit lucky, since I summoned a forest within 6”, then landed a 9” charge with an 11. If I had failed the spell, had it unbound, didn’t have a place to put the wood (or ran out of wood models), didn’t have a useful teleport destination, was screened out by enemy units, failed the charge, only just made it by rolling a 9, I would have lost the game. I needed 3-4 rolls to go my way to get the hunters somewhere useful and if i had failed any of those critical rolls, they would have been dead in the water.

This makes me thing that 6 scythe hunters might be best served in a Dreadwood wargrove, since I can spend a CP to just put them were I need them and archy is fairly mobile between fly and 12 inch move.  While Winterleaf might be best utilized on units that could really benefit from the extra attacks on 6’s.

6 scythe hunters is 400 pts. For that price you can get 25 Tree revenants. It sounds like bad trade, but if you consider the fact that they do nearly the same amount of damage (25 T-revs (unbuffed) do ~17 wounds at -1 rend before saves; Hunters (unbuffed) do ~17 wounds at -2 rend before saves). T-revs will benefit a lot more from Winterleafs exploding sixes, because 25 T-revs put out 50 attacks; 75 if buffed by an archy. With average rolls thats 12 6’s as opposed to hunters 2 6’s. Before you ask if you can get all 25 T-revs into combat, remember that T-revs have a 6” pile in, and can RR 1 dice in the charge phase making a “wrap around” very possible. Even if you don’t get every T-rev into combat, the damage is pretty comparable. 

So you sacrifice 1 point of save and 1 point of rend, for the ability to literally threaten any unit on the board at any time. Waypipes also mean your can teleport out of combat and still charge, they are battleline units (meaning you can capture objectives with them in BP’s like Duality of Death which hunters cannot). Gun line units can’t touch them as they can set up easily out of range at deployment and then charge artillery fairly easily thanks to being able to RR 1 charge die without spending a CP. They are also good candidates for fighting outside of “placers of power” since they would be bravery 8 and can RR battleshock tests. 

That doesn’t mean hunters don't have a place in Winterleaf lists, but it might be more efficient to take say 1 unit of sword hunters and 1 unit of 15 T-revs. That way  you have a much bigger threat range and stand a good chance of combo-charging a bunkered unit that is being supported by a back-line hero. 

Hunters + Archy charge from the front, t-revs teleport and charge from the rear. Activate T-revs first and buff them with the Archy and they’ll be able to put ~15 rend -1 wounds into that backline hero who cannot now buff the enemy. Likely he’ll opt to attack the hunters who haven’t attacked yet and who are more survivable anyway. If the hunters were already in combat that’s even better, since they’ll be able to RR saves.  

I think in the next couple matches I’m going to experiment with using large t-rev units this way.  I really like the 6 hunter set up, but putting 20 wounds into a 10 wound unit isn’t the best use of points, especially if it means thats the only combat they can get to without spending another 2 turns trying to get across the board. I also find it very frustrating when 6 scythe hunters take 8 models out of a 10 man unit that would flee from battleshock but don’t because a backline hero spends a CP on inspiring presence. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Mjolnertf said:

Hello everyone, an important question, when they use the old Sylvaneth Wyldwood, the three trees of the '' middle '' continue to place them ?, the new ones are supposed to be in their center without scenery

If I understand the question...

The trees from the old citadel wood scenery still go where they belong on that base. You use the entire “plate” as it is and that includes the trees in the middle. That the new Wyldwood models have the trees at the edge doesn’t change this. 

On 9/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, Mirage8112 said:

Waypipes also mean your can teleport out of combat and still charge

I'm not pretty sure that you can teleport out of combat, you actually replaced your normal move to do a retreat move.

Then you can't teleport anywhere as long as you need to be able to do a normal move in order to teleport.

Sorry for my bad English 

I had a game against a freind playing BoK yesterday. 

My choice was a Gnarlroot list, Looking like this:

TLA (General, vesperal gem)

Drycha

Wraith ( Chalice)

Wraith

Durthu

Spites x20

Spites x5

Spites x5

Hunter x6

Outcasts

Vengefull Skullroot

The game was quite tight, going back and forth between me slaughtering his Reavers and him slaughtering my Spite-Revenants, but in the end I lost as I just had no bodies for controlling objectives left.

I like Drycha a lot, her output is quite good in Gnarlroot, the Vesperal Gem/Nurtured by Magic combo is sweet and I like the Overall feel of the army, but...

...one question came to me after this game: Can we afford to not play an Arch Revenant? I really missed the rerolling of Kurnoth hits and the possibility to increase my melee punch in crucial fights. What do you guys think? Is the Arch-Revenant an auto-include?

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Aenur said:

I'm not pretty sure that you can teleport out of combat, you actually replaced your normal move to do a retreat move.

Then you can't teleport anywhere as long as you need to be able to do a normal move in order to teleport.

Sorry for my bad English 

There was explicit designers faq on the old battletome which said that you could teleport out of combat and still charge. By teleporting you avoid the need to actually retreat. There is no reason to think this has changed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aenur said:

Sorry for my bad English 

Your English is fine! no need to apologize.

Previous FAQ has said you can teleport out of combat and still shoot/charge as long as you remove the unit from the tabletop and set it up somewhere else. You cannot do a “regular move” and retreat, but you can teleport either via wyldwoods or some other ability.    

A question for the assembled Sylvaneth devotees - what would you take, or not take, in a 1500 list playing Places of Arcane Power against a 1700 Slaanesh list?

Our resident Chaos player has recently unveiled his new Slaanesh army and I’ve not yet had the displeasure. I know they play merry hell with combat order, and they seem to be able to summon things back as fast as you can kill them. But any more substantive pointers would be most welcome. 

12 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

A question for the assembled Sylvaneth devotees - what would you take, or not take, in a 1500 list playing Places of Arcane Power against a 1700 Slaanesh list?

Our resident Chaos player has recently unveiled his new Slaanesh army and I’ve not yet had the displeasure. I know they play merry hell with combat order, and they seem to be able to summon things back as fast as you can kill them. But any more substantive pointers would be most welcome. 

Slaneesh does not have high armor, nor can it penetrate really tough saves. So I would probably take a bunch of kurnoth hunters and shoot them from range and then get in there with scythes. Try to fight in the woods for the cover and plant the feet for the re-rolls. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trevelyan said:

Slaanesh generates summoning point by wounding, but not killing models. So 1 wound models (T-revs, dryads and spites) don’t generate summoning points for them if they die. These will be your models of choice when facing his units. 

Anything he has that has multi-wounds (KoS, Feinds, or minor characters) you really want to kill in a single round of combat, preferably before they can wound you back and generate a bunch of summoning points. 

If I were you, I’d break up that 6 man scythe hunter unit into two groups of 3, each bubble-wrapped by 10 drayds. Your scythes can attack over them and you want have to worry about him generating depravity points since dryads are single wound models. Since Slaanesh is pretty fast, There’s a good chance he’ll be charging you, so set your hunters up 2.5” back from the dryads. The only thing that will be able to reach them and really is a KoS. That way your hunters can chop whatever gets stuck on the dryads, and probably wont have to worry about swinging last.

Otherwise, play the objective game and don't get sucked into unnecessary fights. It’s likely he’ll be able to pick when combat happens (since they’re pretty fast) but that means you’ll likely get to where combat happens (since you’ll be the one getting charged). So when you end your movement phase, make sure your happy with your placement, and always expect a charge next turn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried our one three drop army list?  

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Winterleaf
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice  
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Arch-Revenant (100)
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel  
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave  
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
Forest Folk (140)
Free Spirits (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

was curious if you found it successful and worth the 140 points for the free spirits battalion, extra cp and extra relic.

Edited by Griffin839