AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Wanna take this for some spooky fluff. If anyone has tips on spells, artefacts, choice of general or whether the Trevs are worth it that would be super appreciated:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Dreadwood
Branchwych (80)
- General
- Trait: Paragon of Terror  
- Artefact: Jewel of Withering  
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave  
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
20 x Spite-Revenants (200)
20 x Spite-Revenants (200)
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Greatbows
Outcasts (100)
Horrorghast (60)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)
Vengeful Skullroot (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

It's been a long time I posted here.

Went to a tournament last Sunday with the new book and placed 2nd!
I initially had planned to go there to test the new book (I only had had one game with it so far), but it turned out to be better than expected!
Here are my impressions:
  • Drycha is really a great toolbox - loved using her 1f642.png:)
  • I had between 2 or 3 woods on the board and it did not feel that wrong, honestly;
  • Kurnoth Hunters with swords are hot 🔥;
  • Having a 2 spell casting Branchwraith with Throne of Vines is great: +6 to cast feels good but kinda wrong 🙃
I had to face Nighthaunt (new player), Daughters of Khaine (with Morathi 😱) and Legions of Nagash (with the dreaded 30 Grimghast Reapers)

image.png.36bcc52bfa3b510e1a0db02f8235c774.png
(pic for attention ;) It's my "Drychu")

List was (1K):
LEADERS
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Spellsinger
- Artefact : Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines
UNITS
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, Emissary said:

I noticed this and checked it when it came out.  By where the pips are for 2, 3, 4, and 5 in relation to the 1 and 6 on other dice, the skull is indeed the 1 and the logo is the 6.  It's just wrong on the package.

Edit: Here's what I mean.  Notice in this picture for the Sylvaneth dice that the 3 is to the left of the 2 when the Sylvaneth symbol is face up in the bottom dice:

99220204002_SYLDice01.jpg

Notice that the 3 is to the left of the 2 when the 6 is face up in these dice:

mandalaydicepair.jpeg?v=1474590039

9790e030-de90-401e-89b0-04922cb37c1b_1.3

B00342XXYG.jpg&d=adbaef0113831f011306b0f

Oh, I see. All in all the sylvaneth symbol looks more like turned figure 6

2 hours ago, Pigey said:

I initially had planned to go there to test the new book (I only had had one game with it so far), but it turned out to be better than expected!
Here are my impressions:
  • I had between 2 or 3 woods on the board and it did not feel that wrong, honestly;
  • Having a 2 spell casting Branchwraith with Throne of Vines is great: +6 to cast feels good but kinda wrong 🙃
I had to face Nighthaunt (new player), Daughters of Khaine (with Morathi 😱) and Legions of Nagash (with the dreaded 30 Grimghast Reapers)

image.png.36bcc52bfa3b510e1a0db02f8235c774.png

List was (1K):
LEADERS
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Branchwraith (80)
- General
UNITS
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatswords
- Greatswords

Correct me if Im wrong but you can't include units which cost more than 200 points in 1k lists

2 hours ago, Pigey said:

Here are my impressions:

List was (1K):
LEADERS
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Branchwraith (80)
- General
UNITS
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatswords
- Greatswords

Nice list! I do have a couple questions:

• How did you find your mobility? Without tree-revs or some sort of secondary teleport and only two casters for getting out more trees, it's something I'd worry about.
  • It looks like you've put a good number of eggs into one basket with your Branchwaith's summoning. How did you protect her in the game? Am I overimagining how important she is for the army to succeed?
  • Units of 10 Dryads don't strike me as super-resilient. How did they work for you?

1 hour ago, zlem said:

Correct me if Im wrong but you can't include units which cost more than 200 points in 1k lists

I don't think that is accurate.

1 hour ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Nice list! I do have a couple questions:

• How did you find your mobility? Without tree-revs or some sort of secondary teleport and only two casters for getting out more trees, it's something I'd worry about.
  • It looks like you've put a good number of eggs into one basket with your Branchwaith's summoning. How did you protect her in the game? Am I overimagining how important she is for the army to succeed?
  • Units of 10 Dryads don't strike me as super-resilient. How did they work for you?

Thank you!

• The couple of woods I could set on the table helped me. Dryads and Drycha are quite mobile. Kurnoth I teleported through the woods and used the charge moves to get them where I wanted. Playing on a 4' by 4' helped as well.
  • My opponents had too much to take care of to actually bother and get the Branchwraith. By turn two of almost every game I already had 40 Dryads on the table. That, the Hunters and Drycha were enough to pressure the enemy. But that's a mistake on their behalf.
  • 10 Dryads are not resilient, but they are annoying (especially near a Site of Power or near woods). I used them as meat-shields for my Hunters (counter-charging and the such). When you have 40-50 of them, they can saturate an objective.

Edited by Pigey

I'm hesitating with those two lists for my 2K all comers:

First list (3 Branchwraiths), magic OK but no rerolls for the Hunters.

Spoiler

LEADERS
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Command Trait : Warsinger
- Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)

UNITS
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
- Greatswords

BATTALIONS
Forest Folk (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

TOTAL: 1990/2000

Second list (1 Branchwraith, 1 Arch Revenant, 1 CP): kinda weak magic (afraid for them woods) but rerolls and extra attacks for my Hunters.

Spoiler

LEADERS
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Command Trait : Warsinger
- Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)

UNITS
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
- Greatswords

BATTALIONS
Forest Folk (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

TOTAL: 1980/2000

My opinion: I like the second list less because the Arch-Revenant is really weak and a lot revolves around her. But she makes the Hunters awesome... Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Pigey said:

My opinion: I like the second list less because the Arch-Revenant is really weak and a lot revolves around her. But she makes the Hunters awesome... Thoughts?

Your second list only seems to come to 1880 points rather than 1980 as you suggest .That would allow another caster and another endless spell. 

From recent personal experience, 6x Scythe hunters with the ArchRev buff are beyond brutal, so I would be inclined to go with the second list. Especially if you do have points to spare. 

Forest folk is very expensive for what you seem to be getting here. You’re paying 440 points for a few min units of Dryads and the artefact/command point bonus. If you just want the artefact/command point then Outcasts is a lot cheaper. But if you really want to run with the Dryads then I would be inclined to drop the smaller Hunter unit and make either one 30 block of Dryads or two 20 blocks.

If you went 30/10/10 on Dryads instead of the smaller Hunters, and if I’m right about the 1880 total points, then you have an extra 150 points to play with  that’s a second branchwraith and two more endless spells. 

You don’t mention which Glade you are using. Do you have an idea, and how will that factor into your strategy? 

Edited by Trevelyan

32 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

Your second list only seems to come to 1880 points rather than 1980 as you suggest .That would allow another caster and another endless spell. 

From recent personal experience, 6x Scythe hunters with the ArchRev buff are beyond brutal, so I would be inclined to go with the second list. Especially if you do have points to spare. 

Forest folk is very expensive for what you seem to be getting here. You’re paying 440 points for a few min units of Dryads and the artefact/command point bonus. If you just want the artefact/command point then Outcasts is a lot cheaper. But if you really want to run with the Dryads then I would be inclined to drop the smaller Hunter unit and make either one 30 block of Dryads or two 20 blocks.

If you went 30/10/10 on Dryads instead of the smaller Hunters, and if I’m right about the 1880 total points, then you have an extra 150 points to play with  that’s a second branchwraith and two more endless spells. 

You don’t mention which Glade you are using. Do you have an idea, and how will that factor into your strategy? 

The second list is 1980 (I doubled check). I just did not mention the cost of the extra command point.

I agree on your point for the Forest Folks, and I would lean towards dropping the 3 Hunters to get more Dryads in (30 -10 -10). But if I do that, it feels like I'm gonna miss some punch. Then, I might just be under-estimating a Spirit of Durthu and 6 Hunters with Scythes supported by an Arch-Revenant. I also prefer having two units to multiply the threats: 2 units of 3 Hunters sounds better to me than 1 unit of 6

I'm going for no Glade: that way I get Warsinger on Durthu + Spiteswarm Hive for +5" charges and the artefacts I want.

Thanks for the feedback, mate!

One unit of 6 hunters with scythes backed up by an arch rev hits like a freight train. That and Durthu gives you plenty of punch. You’ve also got Drycha in the list who is squishier than Durthu but still a very credible threat if you feel that you need a third serious combat unit. 

The other option you might want to consider is swapping Drycha for a Treelord Ancient. The TLA won’t hit as hard, but can guarantee you a forest when you need one, provides an extra stomp and is still a wizard. That frees up another 20 points if you need them. If you dropped the command point then you’ve got enough for the second branchwraith even if you keep the smaller unit of hunters. 

I would personally recommend having a unit of six hunters over two units of three (and add smaller units thereafter). Units of three on their own are still fairly easy to neutralise, whereas a unit of six can hit back hard enough even if they lose two or three models to an attack that your opponent has to think twice about engaging them. Plus a single large unit is easier to buff than two smaller units. 

3 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

One unit of 6 hunters with scythes backed up by an arch rev hits like a freight train. That and Durthu gives you plenty of punch. You’ve also got Drycha in the list who is squishier than Durthu but still a very credible threat if you feel that you need a third serious combat unit. 

The other option you might want to consider is swapping Drycha for a Treelord Ancient. The TLA won’t hit as hard, but can guarantee you a forest when you need one, provides an extra stomp and is still a wizard. That frees up another 20 points if you need them. If you dropped the command point then you’ve got enough for the second branchwraith even if you keep the smaller unit of hunters. 

I would personally recommend having a unit of six hunters over two units of three (and add smaller units thereafter). Units of three on their own are still fairly easy to neutralise, whereas a unit of six can hit back hard enough even if they lose two or three models to an attack that your opponent has to think twice about engaging them. Plus a single large unit is easier to buff than two smaller units. 

Thanks for the feedback mate :)

Here is what I came up with (1980):

Spoiler

image.png.704eb2bbb6ee94a9fbdf346dc98d4d82.png

I could also, as you said, have one unit of 6 Hunters with Scythes instead ;)  I think I'll try both and see what suits my playstyle better :)

I ended up going 1-2 with my Gnarlroot Sylvaneth list two weeks ago.  This was my first tournament ever and I beat Stormcast Eternals, lost to Shootcast Eternals, and lost to Deepkin.  My list was as follows:

Gnarlroot Glade - 1980pts

Treelord Ancient (300)

- General

- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic

- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave

- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony

Branchwraith (80)

- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar

- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Drycha Hamadreth (320)

5x Spite-Revenants (60)

5x Spite-Revenants (60)

5x Spite-Revenants (60)

6x Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatscythes (400)

3x Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatbows (200)

3x Kurnoth Hunters w/Swords (200)

Outcast Battalion (100)

Unfortunately the tables had lots of extremely chunky terrain and one was so bad that my opponent allowed me to removed a large building so I could put a woods down.  I definitely felt the lower model count hurt a bit but I thought my list was pretty solid.  About the only things I'd change up going forward would be to maybe change the other artefact and move some spells around.  May put The Vesperal Gem on the TLA so not only would you get the spellcasting to get a Kurnoth Hunter back, it would trigger the command trait to heal a friendly unit for D3 wounds.  And your opponent can't do anything about it.

I can't say enough good things about Drycha now.  She can just delete heroes and small hordes by herself and her being bracketed doesn't really affect her output as much as, say, Durthu.  Her mobility was awesome since her move is high and can still teleport through the woods with the allegiance ability.  I foresee myself using Drycha for a long time.  

I was a big fan of the Gnarlroot glade and being able to spread out the re-rolls 1s to hit across practically every unit in my army.  I had 3 main "packs" that I roamed around with: TLA with 6 Scythes, Branchwraith with both units of Bows, and Drycha with the 3 Swords.  Spites were used for screening mostly.  Those small units of Spites were good... if they could get into combat and survive.  Coolest moment for me was that my 6 Scythes survived (w/losses) against 18 Morrsarr Eels and effectively neutralized them.

My next iteration of this will keep a lot of the same units.  I want to go Winterleaf (shocker) but utilize more Dryads since they can be difficult to remove still.  Wholly within 6" of a woods is pretty doable.  Changes would include removing the three units of 5 Spite-Revs, Outcast Battalion, and the two units of Greatbows for 30 Dryads, 10 Dryads, 10 Dryads, 5 Tree-Revenants for objective and hero hopping, and paying for the Forest Folk battalion.  I will miss the free re-roll 1s to hit with Drycha's ranged attack though...  

I'm always looking for thoughts and suggestions.  I've only been playing for a few months and I know I have a lot to learn.  I do own 4 sets of new woods plus 2 old bases.

Edited by Pennydude
I'm failing at posting and making edits, especially spoiler tags.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pennydude said:

I ended up going 1-2 with my Gnarlroot Sylvaneth list two weeks ago.  This was my first tournament ever and I beat Stormcast Eternals, lost to Shootcast Eternals, and lost to Deepkin.  My list was as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

Gnarlroot Glade - 1980pts

Treelord Ancient (300)

- General

- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic

- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave

- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony

Branchwraith (80)

- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar

Drycha Hamadreth (320)

5x Spite-Revenants (60)

5x Spite-Revenants (60)

5x Spite-Revenants (60)

6x Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatscythes (400)

3x Kurnoth Hunters w/Swords (200)

Outcast Battalion (100)

Unfortunately the tables had lots of extremely chunky terrain and one was so bad that my opponent allowed me to removed a large building so I could put a woods down.  I definitely felt the lower model count hurt a bit but I thought my list was pretty solid.  About the only things I'd change up going forward would be to maybe change the other artefact and move some spells around.  May put The Vesperal Gem on the TLA so not only would you get the spellcasting to get a Kurnoth Hunter back, it would trigger the command trait to heal a friendly unit for D3 wounds.  And your opponent can't do anything about it.

I can't say enough good things about Drycha now.  She can just delete heroes and small hordes by herself and her being bracketed doesn't really affect her output as much as, say, Durthu.  Her mobility was awesome since her move is high and can still teleport through the woods with the allegiance ability.  I foresee myself using Drycha for a long time.  

I was a big fan of the Gnarlroot glade and being able to spread out the re-rolls 1s to hit across practically every unit in my army.  I had 3 main "packs" that I roamed around with: TLA with 6 Scythes, Branchwraith with both units of Bows, and Drycha with the 3 Swords.  Spites were used for screening mostly.  Those small units of Spites were good... if they could get into combat and survive.  Coolest moment for me was that my 6 Scythes survived (w/losses) against 18 Morrsarr Eels and effectively neutralized them.

My next iteration of this will keep a lot of the same units.  I want to go Winterleaf (shocker) but utilize more Dryads since they can be difficult to remove still.  Wholly within 6" of a woods is pretty doable.  Changes would include removing the three units of 5 Spite-Revs, Outcast Battalion, and the two units of Greatbows for 30 Dryads, 10 Dryads, 10 Dryads, 5 Tree-Revenants for objective and hero hopping, and paying for the Forest Folk battalion.  I will miss the free re-roll 1s to hit with Drycha's ranged attack though...  

I'm always looking for thoughts and suggestions.  I've only been playing for a few months and I know I have a lot to learn.  I do own 4 sets of new woods plus 2 old bases.

That's good feedback, thanks for sharing your experience :) Drycha is indeed a beast!

Question about the woods: how many did you set on the tables during your games? (new and old)

3 hours ago, Pigey said:

That's good feedback, thanks for sharing your experience :) Drycha is indeed a beast!

Question about the woods: how many did you set on the tables during your games? (new and old)

First game was 4 sets as the table terrain was good (3-piece, 4-piece, 5-piece, old template).

Second game was only 2 because terrain Sucked (4-piece in an oval and a small 3-piece)

Third game was 2 because my opponent allowed me to remove an obnoxiously dumb piece from the board.  If it wasn’t for that, it may have been impossible. I think I had a 5-piece and 3-piece.

Having played with the old rules and new rules, I actually prefer the new rules for the woods. Makes combat more intriguing, magic around the trees doing more reliable damage, and can now affect heroes and monsters in the charge phase. 

I learned the hard way that Deepkin have an ability to ignore cover rules. Kiiiiinda dumb. Also learned that you can only shoot the closest unit. Kiiiiinda dumb :)

49 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

First game was 4 sets as the table terrain was good (3-piece, 4-piece, 5-piece, old template).

Second game was only 2 because terrain Sucked (4-piece in an oval and a small 3-piece)

Third game was 2 because my opponent allowed me to remove an obnoxiously dumb piece from the board.  If it wasn’t for that, it may have been impossible. I think I had a 5-piece and 3-piece.

Thanks for the input! I did not buy any of the new ones yet and I was wondering how many were enough.

50 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

I learned the hard way that Deepkin have an ability to ignore cover rules. Kiiiiinda dumb. Also learned that you can only shoot the closest unit. Kiiiiinda dumb

Yes, I really dislike playing Idoneth: always the same lists :/

4 hours ago, Griffin839 said:

Is 6 scythes and 6 greatbows enough kurnith hunters to justify running the heartwood grove, or do you need to run 18+ hunters?

I'm running it with 6 scythes, 3 swords and 3x3 bows and it's doing well.  Honestly I don't know why anyone would run 6 bows.  2x3 would be better for the extra huntmaster.

12 hours ago, Emissary said:

I'm running it with 6 scythes, 3 swords and 3x3 bows and it's doing well.  Honestly I don't know why anyone would run 6 bows.  2x3 would be better for the extra huntmaster.

That’s how I’d run them in a list for sure, I was just quickly saying the totals. The reason I Asked was that a List I’m working on has alarielle, durthu, 6 scythes, 3 bows and 3 bows summoned by alarielle. I am trying to figure out if that’s enough kurniths to make the heartwood glade worth taking for the re-rolls or should I just run Winterleaf?

Edited by Griffin839

8 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

From recent personal experience, 6 Winterleaf scythes with the arch rev giving them an extra attack the turn you use the frozen kernel is enough to destroy anything. Possibly even two lots of anything. 

Agreed, although you have to be careful with Frozen Kernel as good opponents will be able to limit its use.

2 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

Agreed, although you have to be careful with Frozen Kernel as good opponents will be able to limit its use.

Potentially, yes. But if you can keep their prime targets away from key positions out of fear of the Kernel then that’s still useful.

If they put up a blocking screen then you aren’t obliged to chew through it. I’ve had successful games where I looked at a blob of chaff infantry and just decided to ignore it so my opponent then had the pain of blocking himself 

• Like 1