AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 minutes ago, IneptusAstartes said:

Kind of a stupid question but anyone get the new Sylvaneth dice? They look nice but I’m confused about their coloration and how easy/hard they are to read.

Fairly easy to read. 1 is a skull 6 is the Sylvaneth logo. 2, 3, 4, 5 are the amount of leaves on a twig. I love those dice and gonna buy me sme more I think.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IneptusAstartes said:

Kind of a stupid question but anyone get the new Sylvaneth dice? They look nice but I’m confused about their coloration and how easy/hard they are to read.

The colours are irrelevant. Conceptually they’re spring, summer, autumn and winter (light green, dark green, orange and white) but the symbols are identical. The dark green is a little harder to read than the rest against the brown, but still perfectly visible. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IneptusAstartes said:

The dice are really nice! I have been using the ol' big square of tiny dice from WHFB, but I bought the Sylvaneth dice set, since even if you have roll 60 dice in AoS it's easier to read bigger dice anyway - and they look good. :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IneptusAstartes said:

I wasn't mad on the design so i gave them a miss. I have the older ones made of  wood and they are not the best.  They always roll low for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So... there is a small discussion around the internet.
Our Throne of Vines has a new wording. And RAW it stacks (check the attachment).
This means that we can use it on a Branchwych + Vortex for the WychBomb 2.0 - she casts the Throne every turn, so she will be +4 to cast turn 2, +6 turn 3...
This is also a way to create new woods, dryads or just to use Alarielle in a odd, stationary way.

Are you aware of any rule that would be against this combo?

throne.jpg

Edited by Heksagon

1 hour ago, Heksagon said:

Our Throne of Vines has a new wording. And RAW it stacks (check the attachment).
This means that we can use it on a Branchwych + Vortex for the WychBomb 2.0 - she casts the Throne every turn, so she will be +4 to cast turn 2, +6 turn 3...
This is also a way to create new woods, dryads or just to use Alarielle in a odd, stationary way.

throne.jpg

If your opponent let the caster sit for 3 turns charging their spirit bomb, they deserve the outcome imo. It honestly seems like it would be possible to pull off, given the wording, but you'd gain almost no advantage for doing so, because you'd be passively charging a spell rather than actively affecting the board. On Alerielle it might be cool to keep her back and charge up her casting to throw down woods or hit people with her personal spell, but otherwise this particular strategy seems a waste of time.

On a Branchwych, there might be something here, but you'd be using your cast to buff your casting, instead of summoning anything, which means you'd be at the mercy of your opponent's play to see if it paid off - for 10 Dryads a turn. That's... pretty not worth.

EDIT - If you decided to give the caster of Throne of Vines an Artefact so they could cast another lore spell, it could actually be pretty cool - but at that point you should just take the Vesperal Gem and auto-succeed the cast at almost no risk - and the caster wouldn't be stuck in place. This strat is of questional utility in my mind.

Edited by overtninja

19 hours ago, IneptusAstartes said:

I absolutely love the dice. These are particularly creative and are waaaaay better than the cheapo wooden dice from the last codex. However all of my opponents have hated them lol. (common response for faction dice). I strongly recommend everyone pick up a set because they will sell out soon and will end up on ebay for $50+

57 minutes ago, Heksagon said:

Good catch. I believe you are correct. You might be on to something! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, overtninja said:

If your opponent let the caster sit for 3 turns charging their spirit bomb, they deserve the outcome imo. However, I doubt many players would interpret the spell that way unless they were cutthroat tournament players lookin to squeeze every possible advantage and exploit every loophole, questionable wording, and degenerate strategy to secure victory.

Also, you'd be charging it for several turns for...a random number of 1/6 chances to do a mortal wound over a wide area? If you want to waste your whole game doing that kind of thing, go for it my dude. 

That's just a one of the uses.
You can just use it in your double turn to get +4 to cast just for easier woods or endless spells and move. It's something.

1 minute ago, Heksagon said:

That's just a one of the uses.
You can just use it in your double turn to get +4 to cast just for easier woods or endless spells and move. It's something.

It seems like a 3rd option for woods to me, since you can either ensure it with a TLA or the Acorn. With my limited experience with our 2nd battletome, I can't say for certain we super need woods to function well, and certainly not the way we used to - and with the new terrain rules getting the woods where you want them is no longer a guarantee. They are certainly still useful, and I've not experimented with tree-based strategies yet, but I suppose if you really needed them, this provides a viable option for you.

TBH Balewind is just a solid endless spell all around. Its a must-take for anyone running Gnarlroot IMHO.  

The Branchwych combo is hilarious and I think it would be fun to try. However competitively it probably won't hold up, as dispelling the Vortex would knock off all of your thrones and send you back to square one.  

The stacking throne effect is pretty important though I imagine it would be more efficient on Alarielle, preferably when she is fighting something nasty on an important objective. 

So I finally got enough models to put together a proper 2k list to play against a friends Stormcast. What do people think? My main question is whether relying on verdant Blessing / the TLA spell to get woods up or if taking Acorn as the 2nd artifact is an absolute necessity?

Glade: Harvestboon

Spirit of Durthu - General - Seek New Fruit - The Silent Sickle (340)

Treelord Ancient - Spiritsong Stave - Verdurous Harmony (300)

Arch-Revenent (100)

Branchwych - Regrowth (80)

Branchwraith - Throne of Vines (80)

3 units of 20 drayds (3x200)

Kurnoth Hunters - Scythes (200)

Battalion - Forest Folk (140)

Endless Spells - Gladewyrm (30) - Spiteswarm Hive (50)

Extra command point (50)               Total 1970/2000

Wanted to try to make the most out of combining some abilities stacking, specifically the Harvestboon and Arch-Revenant CA's to give Hunters 5 attacks each and the dryads Enraputuring Song with Harvestboon +1 to hit on charge to give effectively a 2+ to hit on each of my turns with the retreat and charge from Forest Folk.

8 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

Wanted to try to make the most out of combining some abilities stacking, specifically the Harvestboon and Arch-Revenant CA's to give Hunters 5 attacks each

Given that this is a stated goal, I’m surprised you are only using a unit of 3 hunters. Taking 6 hunters would give you twice the benefit (12 extra attack rather than 6) for the same cost in command points. 

7 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Given that this is a stated goal, I’m surprised you are only using a unit of 3 hunters. Taking 6 hunters would give you twice the benefit (12 extra attack rather than 6) for the same cost in command points. 

Will probably move in that direction, dropping a unit of dryads and spiteswarm hive to pick up the extra hunters and a unit of tree-revenents to fill up the battleline requirement.

What does everyone think of Ironbark? Thematically I like them a lot and I think I'd rather field them (or Heartwood) once I paint up my Sylvaneth. They might not be the most competitive choice but damn the torpedoes!

Having said that, I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are on Ironbark. Even if it's "Ironbark sucks and you suck for using it".

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

What does everyone think of Ironbark? Thematically I like them a lot and I think I'd rather field them (or Heartwood) once I paint up my Sylvaneth. They might not be the most competitive choice but damn the torpedoes!

Having said that, I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are on Ironbark. Even if it's "Ironbark sucks and you suck for using it".

Some of the bonus to charge command traits/spiteswarm could combo well with their ability. You'd need lots of command points, which will be a challenge. Definitely will want an aetherquartz brooch in there too.

Tree Revenants could be quite potent as assassins in this list, I suppose. 

(I'm working from memory on the Ironbark abilities here!)

Edited by The World Tree

12 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

(I'm working from memory on the Ironbark abilities here!)

Out of curiosity, what did you think the Ironbark abilities were? 

The command ability only works when charged, so no obvious synergy with our own charge boosters. 

My problem with Ironbark is that it is almost entirely defensive/reactive. It’s consistently designed for what it does, but to my mind what it does is sit back and wait for the game to come to you. That seems like a losing strategy. 

I’d argue that Gnarlroot is a better defensive glade (using enhanced spells to increase durability) while still providing offensive options. Ironbark essentially wants to do something that Sylvaneth isn’t very good at and that has no real appeal, to me at least. 

Haven't committed to next army, but I'll be coming off Slaanesh when I do, so a fun one will likely be next.  Ironbark is one of the option I have written up.  I have 3 outcast battalions, Penumbral engine and brooch in the list to have command ability spam ready for troublesome units.  I plan to use it on big single monsters, while 3outcasts + endless spell tree apply 4d3 additional units running from failed battleshocks.  Heroes casting bravery debuffs to try to ensure they at least lose one model (which turns into ~9).  With 9 separate units of spite revenants being the major part of the army, I want to paint their Woody claws white, bring $100 worth of white claws to tournament, not remember my losses.

1 hour ago, jackmcmahon said:

while 3outcasts + endless spell tree apply 4d3 additional units running from failed battleshocks.  Heroes casting bravery debuffs to try to ensure they at least lose one model (which turns into ~9).  With 9 separate units of spite revenants being the major part of the army...

Just so I understand, are you planning to bring nine units, each of 5x Spite Revenants, arranges into three separate Outcast battalions? That’s a lot of very squishy eggs in one basket.

In theory you might add 4d3 models to the total lost from a failed battle shock test, but it would require that you have one unit of five spites from each battalion in combat range. They all need to survive the combat and the enemy needs to both take and fail the test (plenty of armies have high bravery on tough units).

sounds like a lot of things that all need to go right. Not least being that your opponent needs to not see it coming and just spend a command point to dodge the test (or be one of many factions with the ability to negate battleshock tests). 

Yup that's the plan.  The plan is unit A from battalion A chills w unit A from battalion B and C.  Unit B from battalion A chills w u unit B from battalion B and C etc.  So I have 3 groups of 15 spites projecting 3d3 and the spell going where it'll be most effective.  

I am aware of command point to not battleshocks, but forcing them to use their command point on battleshock has an opportunity cost for them and there are three areas across the board doing this.

This being said, I did say my plan was to drink enough white claws to not remember my losses.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey everyone!  First time posting but I’ve been lurking on here for a while now.  I’ve been playing AoS for under a year and my wife and I got Sylvaneth for us to build and paint and I get to play them!  Actually playing in my first tournament this Saturday and I wanna throw out a list for some thoughts.  I did use this list against a Slaanesh list that was definitely not optimized plus it was his first time playing the army.  Ended up tabling him at the top of turn 3.  

Glade - Heartwood

Treelord Ancient (300): General - Legacy of Valour, Artefact - Horn of the Consort, Deepwood Spell - Verdurous Harmony

Drycha Hamadreth (320): Deepwood Spell - Regrowth

Branchwraith (80): Artefact - Luneth’s Lamp, Deepwood Spell - Regrowth

Spite Revenents x5 (60)

Spite Revenents x5 (60)

Spite Revenents x5 (60)

Kurnoth Hunters w/Bows x3 (200)

Kurnoth Hunters w/Bows x3 (200)

Kurnoth Hunters w/Swords x3 (200)

Kurnoth Hunters w/Scythes x6 (400)

Outcast Battalion (100)

Total: 1980/2000, Wounds: 117

This gives me several good combat threats with a 6-block of Scythes, 3-block of Swords, TLA, and Drycha combined with quite a bit of shooting support.  Kurnoths w/bows can be great objective holders later and are awesome at softening up monsters.  Early on, I don’t have to move the TLA completely up so that the bows can re-roll all hits thanks to the Horn of the Consort.  Looking for thoughts on improvements, spell suite, and whether Luneth’s Lamp is worth taking.   I have a fun Gnarlroot endless spell build I’m also considering but shooting is just more reliable than spellcasting.

• LOVE IT! 1

Just in case you missed it, last night I recorded Faction Focus: Sylvaneth 2.0 with long standing & successful Sylvaneth tournament players: Laurie Huggett-Wilde, Chris Welfare, Dan Street & Liam Burnett-Blue. The show runs for 3.5hrs and is a deep dive into building a list, the Groves, customsing that force, and tactical advice. I know the original video was useful to many so I hope this one adds equal value...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Just in case you missed it, last night I recorded Faction Focus: Sylvaneth 2.0 with long standing & successful Sylvaneth tournament players: Laurie Huggett-Wilde, Chris Welfare, Dan Street & Liam Burnett-Blue. The show runs for 3.5hrs and is a deep dive into building a list, the Groves, customsing that force, and tactical advice. I know the original video was useful to many so I hope this one adds equal value...

thx a lot, very useful!!!

• Like 1