AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Predien said:

Anyone have war stories they would like to share using the new book, terrain, endless spells, etc.?  I haven't had time to get a game in  with the update so I want to read about your experiences!

Go back a few pages.  I've had several games with the new book and you can read about my experiences there.

• Like 1

It's been really good for me for what you said and also for newly summoned dryads.  getting the 10" move and +3" charge lets them get where they need to go.

You're right about the dryads.  It's a symptom of the bigger issue with units of 30 right now.  The -1 to hit is one of their biggest selling point before, but now getting all 30 within 6" of a wyldwood really limits their placement for it.  Not to mention other buffs like Gnarlroot or the hive.  Right now, I've been using smaller units of 20 or the summed 10 when I use Dryads.  Dryads are by no means bad and are certainly useable, but this book isn't like the last one.  All three battlelines have good uses but aren't great at other things.  Spites are glass cannons without great movement.  Tree Revenants are glass cannons that don't hit great and are expensive, but are fantastic at movement.  Dryads are toughest with decent hitting power on the 2" reach and the 7" movement.  

Overall though, at the moment I see Kurnoth Hunters as the real backbone of the army now rather than Dryads as before.  Hunters make such great use of the new clan buffs and the Arch Revenant.  A unit of 6 Scythes and another of 3 Swords is fast becoming standard in my lists with a 2nd unit of 3 swords making their way in many other lists.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

How is everyone resolving to-hit rolls of 6 with Drycha, Talon of Dwindling, Sundering Strike, and Impale when using Winterleaf Glade?

I imagine a FAQ may be a while so just trying to determine the consensus for my games in the immediate future. 

It's already in the FAQ.  I don't have time to go quote it right now, but the essence is that the special abilities of those things are resolved once and the 2nd hit is just a normal hit with that weapon.

9 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

How is everyone resolving to-hit rolls of 6 with Drycha, Talon of Dwindling, Sundering Strike, and Impale when using Winterleaf Glade?

I imagine a FAQ may be a while so just trying to determine the consensus for my games in the immediate future. 

The Winterleaf 6 just makes you have an extra hit, not an extra 6.  So for Drycha, normally when you roll a 6 you wouldn't make a wound roll for that hit because her warscroll says "...that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound on the target and the attack sequence ends...).  In Winterleaf, if Drycha rolls a 6, it'll do the mortal wound + an extra hit.  You'll resolve that extra hit like you normally would any of of the non-6 hits.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Predien said:

The Winterleaf 6 just makes you have an extra hit, not an extra 6.  So for Drycha, normally when you roll a 6 you wouldn't make a wound roll for that hit because her warscroll says "...that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound on the target and the attack sequence ends...).  In Winterleaf, if Drycha rolls a 6, it'll do the mortal wound + an extra hit.  You'll resolve that extra hit like you normally would any of of the non-6 hits.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. That's what I figured. 

6 minutes ago, Emissary said:

It's already in the FAQ.  I don't have time to go quote it right now, but the essence is that the special abilities of those things are resolved once and the 2nd hit is just a normal hit with that weapon.

I can go look it up. Do you remember which FAQ it was specifically? 

I'm right in thinking that you can stack command abilities that both do the same thing right?

Was thinking of using Harvestboon and Arch-Revenant abilities to give a unit of 6 scythe hunters 30 attacks at 3+/3+/-2/D3 re-rolling 1's to hit.

Seems pretty deadly to my newbie brain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

I'm right in thinking that you can stack command abilities that both do the same thing right?

Was thinking of using Harvestboon and Arch-Revenant abilities to give a unit of 6 scythe hunters 30 attacks at 3+/3+/-2/D3 re-rolling 1's to hit.

Seems pretty deadly to my newbie brain.

That's correct.  You can even stack the same ability unless it says otherwise.  Sadly, those two command ability do say it doesn't stack with itself.

Anyway, got my first Awakened Wyldwood done.  I think these things may be the end of me.  1 down and 3 to go.  

y3dLwAl.jpg

RgyxB2t.jpg

amUXvl1.jpgGw7GVx7.jpg

HyJwsjV.jpg

L6uDcIA.jpg

X7YhEXq.jpg

• Like 9

I have a few questions about the woods.  Can someone please confirm I have understood the rules correctly?

1. Before deployment I can place one awakened wyldwood with the following restrictions :-

i. Over 1" from opponent territory

ii. Over 1" from terrain

iii. Over 1" from edge of board

iv. Over 6" from objectives

2. I can place a summoned awakened wyldwood during the game with the following restrictions :-

i. Over 1" from other models

ii. Over 1" from terrain

iii. Over 3" from objectives

3. If I'm using the old wyldwood models, how many bases can I place to build one awakened wyldwood?  I think it's 1-2 (1 per 3 of the new trees) as this is roughly the same footprint.

Edited by CaptainBerk

11 minutes ago, CaptainBerk said:

I have a few questions about the woods.  Can someone please confirm I have understood the rules correctly?

1. Before deployment I can place one awakened wyldwood with the following restrictions :-

i. Over 1" from opponent territory

ii. Over 1" from terrain

iii. Over 1" from edge of board

iv. Over 6" from objectives

2. I can place a summoned awakened wyldwood during the game with the following restrictions :-

i. Over 1" from other models

ii. Over 1" from terrain

iii. Over 3" from objectives

3. If I'm using the old wyldwood models, how many bases can I place to build one awakened wyldwood?  I think it's 1-2 (1 per 3 of the new trees) as this is roughly the same footprint.

For your initial Awakened Wyldwood before deployment it must be"

1) Over 3" from other terrain (General's Handbook Errata)

2) Over 1" from enemy territory (Sylvaneth book)

3) Over 6" from objectives (Sylvaneth book) 

The Awakened Wyldwoods placed during the game:

1) Over 1" from other models (Treelord Ancient, Verdant Blessing, Acorn of the Ages, Metamorphosis)

2) Over 1" from other terrain features (Treelord Ancient, Verdant Blessing, Acorn of the Ages, Metamorphosis)

3) Over 1" from objectives (Treelord Ancient, Verdant Blessing, Acorn of the Ages, Metamorphosis)

Also, for old wyldwood models it just looks like you can only use 1 base per wyldwood.  It doesn't look like you can use 2 or 3 for 1 wyldwood anymore.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification.  Seems there is another incentive to upgrade the woods then.

Edit : I've just read through the FAQ again.  It reads like the 3" from terrain restriction affects even woods placed during the game?  This makes it much trickier to place the vital 2nd wood...I hope they change this in the Sylvaneth FAQ.

Edited by CaptainBerk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

I have a 1000 point game against Skaven next week. I have never played against Skaven before and am not sure what to expect. What are people's experiences playing against them? How do they play? What are our counters?

Normally you'll be looking at a grey seer on screaming bell and verminlord warpseer as the core leaders. After that it's mostly combinations of max sized plague monk and clanrat units. 

They buff up the plague monks so they are doing 7 attacks each, 3s and 3s with some rerolls. They also cast death frenzy and super death frenzy. This means each model can pile in and attack twice when slain. 

Best bet? Try to be in a position to block spells and to kill the leader units before fighting the hordes. Much easier said than done. 

That said your opponent might be a fluffy casual who is running doomwheels and the like. In which case you'll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Think this list is viable. The idea here is to use the two ancients to reliably get spells through. I’ve opted for the healing spells in order to keep the few fighting units (mainly the Durthu) alive. The gem can be used to force through whatever spell is necessary once per face. The other ancient can cast with 3d6 and choose the two highest. So pretty reliable. So any comments or ideas? I’m also a little bit uncertain of the endless spell. I’m undecided on wether to take the hive or the worm...

Gnarlroot%20coven.pdf

1 hour ago, sishuttleworth said:

Sorry - really basic question, but still new to AoS and just starting Sylvaneth.

Do the "teleportation" rules - Spirit Paths, Navigate Realmroots, etc, allow you to charge afterwards? (Albeit needing a 9" charge roll)

Yes you can still charge after teleporting!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baardah said:

Think this list is viable. 

It’s very similar to my current Gnarlroot list. The only real change is that I dropped Durthu to turn the 3x Sword Hunters into a 6x Scythe Hunters, and took an ArchRevenant to buff them. That leaves you enough points to take both spells. 

I like the bow hunters in this list, although others may disagree. Between the treelords and LotC, you’ve got enough ranged output for your opponent to feel it, and the bow hunters add to that nicely. 

On 7/24/2019 at 2:41 PM, CaptainBerk said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Seems there is another incentive to upgrade the woods then.

Edit : I've just read through the FAQ again.  It reads like the 3" from terrain restriction affects even woods placed during the game?  This makes it much trickier to place the vital 2nd wood...I hope they change this in the Sylvaneth FAQ.

It says if you use an "allegince ability" or a "warscroll" to place terrain its 3" from other terrain.  The spell and the artifact are none of these :D