Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I'll get 1.. and just like now I'll get some exact sized bases for the rest.

In addition to the four woods I do have assembled, I’ve got two unopened Vale of Ghyran boxes sitting on a shelf that I always intended to assemble and paint. But my local club is happy for me to use some woods that I cut to size from a Deepcut Studios mat, so I never got round to it. 

I wont make that mistake twice. There’s even enough of the mat left to make a fair few of the new wood bases from!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas on how to cut down or reshape the old woods to mirror what the new ones are like? I'd rather they look a little weird then buy 9 new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, a74xhx said:

£18 for the old model, which was made when? 2005 or something like that? Earlier? It's probably had zero price increases since then.

Whilst £30 seems a lot for the new set, taking roughly 15 years of inflation into account, does it still seem that unreasonable? Given other political situations in the UK and the ranting around prices for other new GW releases, I'm really not surprised.  The Deepkin boat is £25 and given it's probably similar sized box, our woods were always going to be more than that.

Thankfully we should need less of the new models than the old ones and you can still use your old models too.

 

 

30 pounds = 40 euro is kinda strange to me though.. or is that standard GW conversion these days (I really wouldn't know atm). I'm pretty sure the pound is nowhere near 1.33 E

 

OK decided to check and indeed.. the 30 pound ironbreakers are 40 euro.. insane but I guess it is what it is :D

Edited by Aezeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

In addition to the four woods I do have assembled, I’ve got two unopened Vale of Ghyran boxes sitting on a shelf that I always intended to assemble and paint. But my local club is happy for me to use some woods that I cut to size from a Deepcut Studios mat, so I never got round to it. 

I wont make that mistake twice. There’s even enough of the mat left to make a fair few of the new wood bases from!

Hey, I think maybe I got the idea of using a deepcut studio's mat from you. I've been using it for 2 years now (so if you've been using it for a shorter time you maybe got the idea from me ;) ) and it's great. I cut up a whole 3x3 swamp mat for 14 of the old bases so nothing is left but I hope to get at least 2 of the new  ) - like bases out of each old base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Any ideas on how to cut down or reshape the old woods to mirror what the new ones are like? I'd rather they look a little weird then buy 9 new ones.

You would be using original GW material.. so GW tournament legal. That said: I'm not trying it :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Any ideas on how to cut down or reshape the old woods to mirror what the new ones are like? I'd rather they look a little weird then buy 9 new ones.

Will have to wait and see their size when they're released before I could say anything about it.  

Anyway, played my Gnarlroot list from a few pages ago against a Gristlegore list with 2 kings on terrorgheists, 1 king on a royal dragon and other odds and ends.

We ended up calling it after 2 rounds with a decisive victory for the Sylvaneth.  Few observations:

1) The new treelord stomps were by far the MVP of the game.  I went first and moved up and then he charged my screen of spite revenants with some ghouls and a terrorgheist king.  The stomp missed and the spites got wiped out by the combined attacks from the terrorgheist and ghouls but the spites did manage to kill 8 ghouls.  However ancient did not get wounded at the 3" range and did 5  wounds to the terrorgheist.  My turn the 6 scythe hunters and arch-revenant charged into that mess.  Meanwhile 3 sword hunters charged another group of 20 ghouls and the treelord charged the ghouls and the other terrorgheist and the ancient general also charged that terrorgheist.   All three stomps went off and both sets of ghouls and the unwounded terrorgheist were going last.  The scythe hunters activated first , got +1 attack from the arch revenant and proceeded to wipe out all but one in the ghoul unit and killed the wounded terrorgheist.  Then the other ancient and treelord did 12 wounds to the 2nd terrorgheist and the sword hunders killed 11 ghouls.  The terrorgheist did 10 wounds back to the ancient general due to a few failed saves and one of those crappy 6 mortal wound bites.  On his turn his general on the dragon charged in and promptly went from striking first to striking last and had his head handed to him by the scythe hunters.  The surviving terrorgheist also got stomped and wiped out by the treelord.   The explosion from it only did one wound to the ancient with 2 wounds left and he had to use his last command point to activate it and kill my general.   After that, at that point he was down to his arch-regent, 1 unit of ghouls and what he had summoned the last turn with his command point and the throne (a courtier and some of the vargulfs) and resigned.  He said that the new stomp effect was devastating and I didn't disagree.

2) We played this game with the wyldwood summoning spell as part of the deepwood lore because of the warhammer community article.  In the first turn I had the one I started with, then the free one from the ancient ability and then an unstoppable one from the Vesperal Gem.  Was pretty impressive having 3 out in the first turn and your opponent not being able to do anything about it.   Plus, you can carpet the field with them early since they only have to be 1" from things.  I ended up preordering 4 boxes of awakened wyldwoods because of this so that I could have one more to summon later in the game.  

3) Lastly, I have to say that in all 4 of my games with the new book the kurnoth hunters have been the backbone of the army.  the arch-revenant and glade effects add so much to them with letting them reroll 1s to hit, getting to attack twice, doing 2 hits, resummoning dead ones, the mortal wounds on the swords, the extra attack from the arch-revenant command ability (and he doesn't even have to be near them for them to get it!)  I still think the bow hunters stink and are the only thing not worth using at all in the book, but 1-2 units of 3 swords and 1 unit of  6 scythes with an arch revenant and either the winterleaf or gnarlroot glade effects have done so much.  They're just plain awesome and have been on a whole new level with the buffs from the new book!

Edited by Emissary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, im thinking about getting started with a sylvaneth Army. 

So what do i Need to buy for a Competetive sylvaneth 1000 points army? 

I Really like the Look of Kurnoth Hunters, so would be nice to include them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Hey, I think maybe I got the idea of using a deepcut studio's mat from you. I've been using it for 2 years now (so if you've been using it for a shorter time you maybe got the idea from me ;) ) and it's great. I cut up a whole 3x3 swamp mat for 14 of the old bases so nothing is left but I hope to get at least 2 of the new  ) - like bases out of each old base. 

I almost certainly got the idea from you. I made mine around a years and a half ago from a Deepcut swamp mat after seeing the idea online, which is too close to be coincidence. 

Kudos for an awesome idea

Edited by Trevelyan
I live in typo hell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Emissary said:

 On his turn his general on the dragon charged in and promptly went from striking first to striking last and had his head handed to him by the scythe hunters.  

Minor quibble, but I think that on his own turn his “attack at the start of the combat phase” ability triggers before your stomp, so you shouldn’t have been able to kill the general that easily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Minor quibble, but I think that on his own turn his “attack at the start of the combat phase” ability triggers before your stomp, so you shouldn’t have been able to kill the general that easily. 

After re-read the rules I think you are right on that point.  We just assumed abilities went before attacks at the start of the phase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Minor quibble, but I think that on his own turn his “attack at the start of the combat phase” ability triggers before your stomp, so you shouldn’t have been able to kill the general that easily. 

Yeah, not minor at all really - it's a big part of what makes the unit so hard to deal with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WinterLeaf: My Heart is Ice.  "Roll a dice each time a wound inflicted by a melee weapon is allocated to this general and not negated. On a 5+ the attacking unit suffers 1 mortal wound."

If a single weapon does, say, 3 damage in a single hit, I would roll 3 dice, right? (with each die potentially dealing a mortal wound). I don't just roll one dice because it's a single hit.

That's how I read it, but I'm not sure if it's 100% clear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct.  Wounds are applied one at a time, even if multiple wounds come from one hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanted to pitch the start of a 4-drop 2,000-point list with the new tome, themed around BEES:
  • Drycha HamaBEES with Regrowth - 320
  • Treelord Ancient (General) with Dreadwood Command Trait, Vesperal Gem, Regrowth - 300
  • Treelord Ancient with Dreadwood Artefact, Verduous Harmony - 300
  • Branchwraith with Treesong Stave, Throne of Vines - 80
  • 20 X Spite-Revenants - 200
  • 15 X Spite-Revenants - 180
  • 10 X Spite-Revenants - 120
  • Treelord - 200
  • Spiteswarm BEEHive - 50
  • Gladewyrm - 30
  • Outcasts - 100
  • Lords of the Clan - 60
  • Extra Command Point - 50
  • Dreadwood Glade

Total: 1,990

Drops: Drycha, Outcasts, Clan Lords, Branchwraith.
My thinking is that the treelords' stomps help them act as anvils for the spite-rev hammers. With two battalions and an extra CP, I'll have a couple extra command points for key Dreadwood teleports, and the Treelords' Spirit Paths mean they can teleport for free, so I hopefully won't need to worry about limitations on my mobility overall. With four casters, three of which can have artefacts and two of which can have non-glade artefacts, I won't be wanting for magic. If I take the Spiritsong Stave, I'm looking at five spells each turn, so all I need to do is cast the spell I really want to go off last each turn, forcing my opponent to either bank their dispels and allow the other spells to go off or use the dispels early and have none left to counter my caster. The Ancients will let me get guaranteed a Wood out in my first turn.  Additionally, the Dreadwood command trait on one of my Ancients as the General will help their survivability.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Hey guys, im thinking about getting started with a sylvaneth Army. 

So what do i Need to buy for a Competetive sylvaneth 1000 points army? 

I Really like the Look of Kurnoth Hunters, so would be nice to include them.

Its probably best to determine what battleline troops you want in your army and then base your purchasing decisions on that.  With the new codex, all three of our battleline troops are viable. Spites and Dryads are great for medium-large units. Tree Revenants are better in small units. 

If you want Spites/Tree Revenants. Then Looncurse is the way to go. Try to find someone to split it with, (or check ebay for just a Sylvaneth half).  It also comes with Kurnoth Hunters and an Arch Revenant. Note that Looncurse boxes are getting tricky to find so you might not want to wait too long to buy.

If you prefer dryads, then just pickup a Start Collecting box. Many prefer to convert the included Branchwych model into a Branchwraith, as its a bit more competitive. 

The new codex has the army in a good place. Pretty much all of our units are viable to some degree. Though some may argue that the Treeman Ancient is a bit overcosted.

So just buy what you like! Good luck!

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

If you want Spites/Tree Revenants. Then Looncurse is the way to go. Try to find someone to split it with, (or check ebay for just a Sylvaneth half).  It also comes with Kurnoth Hunters and an Arch Revenant. Note that Looncurse boxes are getting tricky to find so you might not want to wait too long to buy.

Looncurse boxes sit somewhere between the Maltese Falcon and unicorns in terms of availability right now. If you want to buy one, I’d recommend you start researching time travel.  

There are a few boxes around, but they go for such inflated prices that you could buy the Sylvaneth content twice over at RRP and still have change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Looncurse boxes sit somewhere between the Maltese Falcon and unicorns in terms of availability right now. If you want to buy one, I’d recommend you start researching time travel.  

There are a few boxes around, but they go for such inflated prices that you could buy the Sylvaneth content twice over at RRP and still have change. 

It's not quite that bad for finding the Looncurse boxes at the moment, but you are right that the only readily available ones have been marked up ~50% (in the USA at least)... Ebay has plenty of them in the $200 - $230 range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BetterOffGwen said:

I glad they this an official clarification, but the new woods will still offer much more flexibility and total area compared to the old woods base (3-6 compared to just 1)... but overall a very acceptable solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I glad they this an official clarification, but the new woods will still offer much more flexibility and total area compared to the old woods base (3-6 compared to just 1)... but overall a very acceptable solution.

I’d have preferred 1-2 of the old woods. From all reports, 3 new bases together are very close to 1 old base, so 3-6 should really equate to 1-2. 

Itll be interesting to see whether 6 new bases in a rough circle gets fairly close to a clump of 3 old bases. In which case a single old base won’t come close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the community:

I’m assembling a second TLA in anticipation of putting a LotC in Gnarlroot, and ideally I want it to have a different pose from my original TLA (the standard pose per the instructions). 

The treelord kit obviously contains the full range of joints for any of the three poses, and there are plenty of age pictures of standard treelords in the TLA pose. But I’ve not seen any pictures of a TLA in either the treelord or the Durthu pose, and the head/beard alone looks like it might limit options. 

Has anyone tried using the other joints for a non-standard TLA who is able to confirm/deny whether it works? Are some options more viable than others or does the TLA really only work in one pose?

Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

Question for the community:

I’m assembling a second TLA in anticipation of putting a LotC in Gnarlroot, and ideally I want it to have a different pose from my original TLA (the standard pose per the instructions). 

The treelord kit obviously contains the full range of joints for any of the three poses, and there are plenty of age pictures of standard treelords in the TLA pose. But I’ve not seen any pictures of a TLA in either the treelord or the Durthu pose, and the head/beard alone looks like it might limit options. 

 Has anyone tried using the other joints for a non-standard TLA who is able to confirm/deny whether it works? Are some options more viable than others or does the TLA really only work in one pose?

Thanks in advance. 

I assembled my treelords in non-standard ways, mostly by mixing and matching the joint pieces to get the arms and legs into different positions. You've got a lot of leeway with how you do it, especially because you get so many options in the box that aren't used in the presented 3 assemblies. My treelord is raising his vine-shooting arm above his head, for instance, which was very easy to accomplish, while my TLA's claw-hand is alternately placed, and the SoD is pretty much standard.

Your best bet would be to assemble the upper and lower legs and and arms, and then play with the joint pieces you use to find a pose you think is really cool. Also, don't blue your leg assembly until you try it on the base, or the hip joints and ankle joints will be all awkward and terrible. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

probably a stupid question, but with the way terrain is being set up now and the new woods able to be fielded in groups of 3-6 trees, how many of the new trees should I expect to need? I am planning to order four as that's about what I can afford right this moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...