AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm convinced a single TLA will be a staple of every list. Making the woods reliable instead of on a 4+ makes it just so much more useful. It also means the 2nd one for lords of the clan is not as useful, although it does make a dead 'ard center if you just move them up on mass. 

Has anyone tried the non-glade approach. I'm specifically looking at warsinger. Much more reliable than cogs or the new spites, and you can plausibly include at least one of those to be even more reliable

I'm also not seeing a lot of love for dryads anymore. Everyone seems to be going for spites. I guess its a shiny-new-toys thing, but I think dryads may still have a place. 

I'm thinking a core of:

300 Treelord Ancient

100 Archrevenant

80 Branchwraith

80 Branchwraith

200 Spite revenants x20

270 Dryads x30

80 tree revenants

400 Scythe Hunter x6

1510 I think. Gives me points to try something else out too. Solid alpha if it needs to in the Arch-revenant+ Hunters+spite revenants, treelord to make it possible with the guarnteed tree and 3 casters to give me lots of options, but a good backbone of dryads to fall back to if I need to. 

I probably need to add in a battalion though, as some of the artifacts seem useful. Maybe a min size outcasts or exchanging a wraith for a wych and getting household

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

This is somewhat unfair to gw.. It's not ambiguous. As it's written you have Verdant and the a table of Deepwood spells.. nothing at all says Verdant is a Deepwood Spell.  The heading of Deepwood starts below Verdant too. 

I might be in the minority, but I still think there’s a good chance that it is a deepwood spell not but if bears an FAQ. If it gets faq’d not, or it’s even mentioned in the FAQ immediately after release, I won’t think that anymore.

Edited by Mirage8112

2 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

I might be in the minority, but I still think there’s a good chance that it is a deepwood spell not but if bears an FAQ. If it gets faq’d not, or it’s even mentioned in the FAQ immediately after release, I won’t think that anymore.

there are other factions have have a all wizards/priests in X army know x spell/prayer in addition to one chosen from the spell lore etc

Verdant is not a Deepwood spell

I just found out my LFGS has a copy of Looncurse lying around. Provided it isn’t too much hassle and the other person is willing to pay the shipping cost you could PM me and i’d be willing to pick it up and send it over. 

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

there are other factions have have a all wizards/priests in X army know x spell/prayer in addition to one chosen from the spell lore etc

Verdant is not a Deepwood spell

That’s fine if its not, I would just like to see an FAQ on that to be sure. I don’t plan on playing it as if it is, but I’d still like to be sure.

6 hours ago, Frowny said:

I'm convinced a single TLA will be a staple of every list. Making the woods reliable instead of on a 4+ makes it just so much more useful. It also means the 2nd one for lords of the clan is not as useful, although it does make a dead 'ard center if you just move them up on mass. 

Has anyone tried the non-glade approach. I'm specifically looking at warsinger. Much more reliable than cogs or the new spites, and you can plausibly include at least one of those to be even more reliable

I'm also not seeing a lot of love for dryads anymore. Everyone seems to be going for spites. I guess its a shiny-new-toys thing, but I think dryads may still have a place. 

I'm thinking a core of:

300 Treelord Ancient

100 Archrevenant

80 Branchwraith

80 Branchwraith

200 Spite revenants x20

270 Dryads x30

80 tree revenants

400 Scythe Hunter x6

1510 I think. Gives me points to try something else out too. Solid alpha if it needs to in the Arch-revenant+ Hunters+spite revenants, treelord to make it possible with the guarnteed tree and 3 casters to give me lots of options, but a good backbone of dryads to fall back to if I need to. 

I probably need to add in a battalion though, as some of the artifacts seem useful. Maybe a min size outcasts or exchanging a wraith for a wych and getting household

I think I'll keep some dryads for defense, one of the first lists I posted till seems solid.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:37 PM, Aezeal said:

First list

Aiming for something basic. Not too many fancy things that might or might not do well.

I think our battleline units now all have something in favor for them (TRevs not that much... But 5 are cheap and teleport can be useful to screen or possibly objective grab). Glade will be winterleaf because without fancy stuff or putting a lot on a dancing durthu (harvestboon)it just has the best all round ability that just works on everyone in every combat phase. Also bodies are good.. (Even though FEC says differently but we can't play that game)

So:

The basis:

Winterleaf

30 dryads 270

20 spites 200

5 trev 80

Arch revenant 100

Branchwraith 80 throne of vines 

So far 630

Another free forest and a mage and some hitting power and shooting

Treelord Ancient 300 regrowth

Subtotal 930

Then some of the good stuff with point decreases

Durthu 340 (general getting both winterleaf artefact and CT)

Treelord 200

Subtotal 1470

And then some more raw power

2 x 3 swordhunters or 2 bows or one of each

Subtotal 1870

Cogs 60

Total 1930

+1 command point

I think the simple combination of wraith + cogs + throne hasn't been mentioned yet but I think it has some potential. Throne turn 1. Cogs and summon turn 2. Summon and maybe another forest turn 3.

Still seems decent.

14 hours ago, Aezeal said:

So let me try and follow the idea

Set-up

You put the army down. Spirit, TLA, treelord the Tree revenants and 2 unit of spites somewhere (as far away from the enemy as possible to prevent unbinds they are all whole within range of a possibly cast Hive (this might be tight I think).

Then you hope there is room for a forest somewhere ~12 inch away from a vital point in the enemy line (wholly within 24' of a TLA).

1st Free-drop forest goes 2-3 inches away from his front line depending on what he’s running, preferable central and as big as I can make it . If I can get it full size, (and the new woods size are anything like the old woods) I can get a forest 22” in diameter (old woods are 11” long, and I’m assume 6 of the new WW can make as big a forest as the old woods). 6” on either side (since teleporting units need to be within 6” of a wood) gives me a 34” bubble in which to drop units (assuming the wood is a circle, slightly less if oval)). 9” charge at max distance (if both endless spells go out) is another 18”, so 52” on 5+. if I roll high on a charge, but reasonable, say 8’s or 9’s, that’s possibly another 8” max, so 60” threat range. 

14 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Hero phase 

Place the auto forest (silent communion)

Cast Hive between the units mentioned above. Since this is rather important I assume the Wraith first tries Thorne of Vines and then this spell. After that another caster (without bonus) tries to cast cogs. 

Assuming I get first turn and am trying for the alpha yes. 

15 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Movement phase

Teleport Durthu TLA treelord and a unit of spite there using the warscrolls and army abilities. Then teleport T-revs and spites anywhere out side of 9"of enemy using Treve warscroll and Dreadwood command ability. Possibly Arch revenant tries to run towards one of the points where you try to impact too? 

Since I can bring the anyone who teleports into that 34” bubble, nearly everything goes. Durthu, TL, TLA, 20x spites, 20x spites 1 unit of t-rev; pretty much everything but 5x spites who stay behind and screen the wytch who moves into the forest TLA left behind. If I’m expecting ambushes, 1 unit of T-revs stay behind. I’m thinking archy stays off the board and comes in from the enclaves. Since I have to bring him no closer than 9” (just like everything else) he should be right on the front line. 2nd unit of t-revs can screen whatever needs to get screened. 

Wytch comes in as well, with the thought of being support next turn. Ideally she’ll come in at a spot where she can be screened by the T-revs sicne they’re guarding the flank against a charge next turn. 

Shooting

Durthu, Treelord and TLA are in range of enemy and shoot.

Yes. If i swap out the second 20 spites for Drycha, she shoots as well. 

Charge

Everything hopefully has +5 to charge,( possibly only +3 though)  and you charge most of your army into the enemy - hopefully in weak points.  Durthu and TLA next to each other into the biggest threat

If I get throne off, hive should be relatively easy something like 80%. 60% chance I get cogs as well on a 7. (1st)Spites + 1 unit of T-revs charge something medium-sized, preferably  with something less than a 4+ save. Durthu TL, TLA, (2nd)20x spites and T-revs charge something big and ugly OR something screening something big and ugly. 2 command points to RR failed charges (unlikely but good insurance) 

Combat

Treelords both try to stomp the biggest threat on enemy side. Archie possibly uses his CA to give stuff +1 attacks. Alternate activations so you might take some damage but hopefully not from the enemies biggest threat which should die before he is allowed to activate. Durthu has -1 wound vs himself.  Durthu likely not in range of wood for more attacks. 

D, TLA and TL all stomp the big thing. 90% at least one of them gets it off. Archie buffs Durthu and 1st 20 spites. 

Activate the 1st 20 spites. Buffed by Archie, math-hammer says they do roughly 40 wounds, on a 5+ save that’s 28-29 wounds. Even a 4+ is 20.

Position everything right, the second target unit strikes last. So cannot activate. 

T-revs that charged with the spites pile-in up to 6” to screen the spites vs a counter charge. 

He still cannot activate thanks to stomp. So I can activate again. 

2nd unit of spites activates. No Archie buff, but 60 attacks still do 30 wounds before saves. 20 @ 5+, 15 @ 4+.  If its a small screen, or a double small screen (5 model units) it should easily clear. If not, TLA clear the remainder, if still not clear (unlikely), TL clears the rest. 

If clear, TL activates and piles in 6” to whatever is behind the screen/in range to soften it up for Durthu. 

He will get an activation here. But will only be able to attack the TL if I position well and make base contact. Depending on what it, he might be able to put the hurt on the TL, maybe not. Not super likely he’ll kill it though. 

Then Durthu can pile-in and make his attacks. He should still be within 8” of the wood, and is Archie buffed, so math has him doing 26 wounds at -2 rend (assuming impale does not go off, but 2 attacks give it 30% one does). On a 4+ Save that’s ~16 wounds. 3+ is 14. Should be enough to kill just about anything especially if I can pick some wounds off through shooting.  

Next turn

- you can autocast regrowth to heal 

- you can summon dryads with +2 to cast and summon a forest with +2 too.

Yes. T-revs x2 should be there to screen for the inevitable charge to keep the spites/big trees from getting too bogged down in combat. Even if a charge gets through on the big trees, I’ve got a good chance stomp will let me activate my spites first, and then swing with at least 2 trees before they can swing. Barring a bunch of shooting  Durthu should be at full health, so next turn perhaps the Wytch can heal up the TL if he’s wounded from softening up his D’s target. 

- How reliable is the alphastrike. The chance of getting both spells is certainly not 100% and not getting them decreases charge chances ofcourse.

- will there be enough room near the forest to teleport them all?

Throne is 5+ to cast, something like 80%. That makes hive 80% as well. Even if thrones doesn’t go off, I still have 2 casts to attempt cogs+hive at 60% apiece. 

Truth be told, as cool as it is when the alpha goes off, this is just as possible in turn 2, and maybe preferable, I get an extra CP to help with failed charges, and I’m reasonably sure I can get at least 1 endless off in the first turn. Unbind is 30”, I’m pretty sure I can find a spot for the wraith out of unbind range in the first turn. TLA will always drop his wood first, so I can cast Endless spells into the forest. They’d can’t be dispelled unless the dispelling wizard has LoS, and I’m 90% sure I can get 2 endless off by turn 2 and not worry about getting alpha’d Myself, since I have plenty to screen and my army will have to be pretty bunched up at deployment anyway to hit everything with hive.  

Turn 1 I really see this hitting the center of a line, wiping it out, and splitting the army in 2. T-revs are there to guard flanks, so he’ll need at least 2 long charges on each side to get to anything useful. Turn 2 I see it popping up an army thats already split itself to make a play for objectives, or already set up a forward line. If they get through my first forest, I’ll just pop up behind them. If they try to block my forest I’ll just summon another. If they push too far forward, with cogs/hive out, Durthu’s average threat range goes from 12” (5” move + 7” charge) to 22” (5” move + 5” to move (C+H)) + 7” charge + 5” to charge (C+H). in that case I might not even need to teleport, I’ll just run up, stomp him and them smash him in the face..  

If I can get a forest out hat’s only 2 old bases wide, I’m pretty damn confident I can hit anything along his center. 34” is a lot of space, and that’s just for the drop. Since threat range is 52” only things right on the edges of the board are out of reach, and if they are squishy and I really need them dead, I can use the DW strat on t the spites, and T-revs can get there just because they can. Archie can come in anywhere within 6” of the forest (wholly). The board is 72” long, the drop zone is 34” long so it has 19” off each size of my forest to the edge of the board. It’s not unreasonable Archie comes in on the edge of the forest and can still hit the spites as long as I’m 1-2” away from the board edge. 

Considering the Archrev will likely not be in combat in the alpha strike wouldn't it be better to put paragon of terror on the Durthu? (this makes the chance of getting a +1 attack with CA less likely of (range only 9")

- I know the wych is there only for the battalion but the spell you give it seems more suited for a defensive play while you possibly have most units in enemy territory not near forests. (the alternatives sadly are not much better I see...- the wych just sucks)

- Considering the wych (as I at least conclude above) doesn't have real synergy with the list and the versperal gem is there for healing only (which is powerfull, no doubt but still) wouldn't deleting the wych and household and forgetting the item on the TLA be an option to get more bodies on the table without really compromising the alpha strike?

-It would save 180 points and you still have 50 left over.. that means you could put in another Treelord which can teleport and would give another stomp option and some more melee potential for the alphastrike. (If there is enough room to teleport most fo this army there anyway as I said above).

With amount of wounds Durthu is dumping into a unit, I’d rather have the extra attack. Either nothing will be left to flee from morale ane, if there is, Spites give the same benefit, only the range is a wee bit smaller (3” v 6”), besides if he puts 16 wounds into a horde something will already be fleeing from battleshock (with an extra D3 from spites battalion) .    

The wytch is mostly there for the battalion. The extra cast/items/cp is nice, but I also want to prevent the enemy from retreating from combat. I need to put that extra heal somewhere, and sicne my army will be up in the enemies face, I need that gem to prevent a lucky unbind. She’s LOS blocked from the woods, and screened for charges so she’s really just there in case I think I can spend another turn smashing things. Durthu+spites +spites is almost 60 wounds into the front line first turn. That’s not even counting what the TLA and TL can do (maybe another 6-10?). At that point if I can take 300-600 points off the board (that’s enough wounds to kill 3 terrorgiests easily, which is 900pts)  I might just choose to GTFO and go capture objectives. If it’s a Battleplan like knife to the heart, half will retreat to defend while the rest press on. I need a little healing in case Durthu loses more than 2 wounds and I opt for another turn of smash.

Originally I toyed with the idea of a second TL, but his damage is just too swingy; he either does nothing or everything. I would really just be paying 200 pts for a stomp that already has a 90% chance of going off since I’m already throwing so much damage at that front line as-is. 

16 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Would you try go first on the first turn if you can choose. Even if enemy moves you can probably still place a forest.. possibly even easier. A double turn after the Alpha would certainly be awesome.

Depends on the enemy and his list. But off the top of my head, I would probably give him first turn. That way if I only get 1 spell out, I can hope for a double and pull the alpha out anyway. If he splits his army to set up a line or cover an objective, I’d just summon a forest, put everything into one side and he’d lose 1/2 his army before he could do anything about it.

16 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Have you considered or done the math on going minimal spite and use hunters instead for the alpha? 6 swords or scythes is 400 points if you drop 30 spites and 5 tree revs you save 320 points.  Or remove 1 big unit , t-revs , wych and batallion =  380. And some of the left over points and keep the 2nd big until. The footprint of 6 hunter might fit better in the teleport room and within the hive circle than 20 spites? Also the unit will always be in range of the archies CA and possibly .. though I'm a bit less sure about this  as I said above wholly within 12 of his rr1 ability. 

I’m not sure. I moved things around to get rid of the extra TLA and Lords of the Clan, but I’m not sure about what to replace it with. Hunters might be nice and since the target will be stomped I can run 1 units of 3 swords and not have to worry about getting swung at between activating them (thanks to stomp). Theya re more resilient, but they don't do nearly as much damage as Spites. 200pts of 3 sword hunters do ~13 wounds at rend -1. 200pts of spites do 30 wounds no rend. VS. a 5+ save opponent, hunters do ~10, spites do ~20. Thats including MW and stomps. 

If anything I’d try to find space for Drycha in the list but the points just aren’t there. 

• Like 1

@sylvan

Gnarlroot

TLA, regrowth @ 300
Branchwraith, chalice, nurturing, throne of vines @ 80

5 Spites @ 60
5 Spites @ 60

6 Kurnouth hunter scythes @ 400 

Endless spell
Spiteswarm Hive @ 50
Vortex @ 40

Branchwraith vortex, throne of vines and spiteswarm hive (if you get vines in, your opponent is going to have a very hard time to dispel her). From there on, she will be getting dryads and trees every turn. TLA silent communion trees, casts his own spell for extra damage or verdant. Kurnouth hunters and TLA teleport after being buffed in the hero phase by the spiteswarm and wreck stuff. 

1000 point games are kind of weird tho.

So if we're talking 1000pts, here's a list I've been thinking about lately.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Treelord Ancient (300)

- General

- Trait: My Heart Is Ice

- Artefact: Frozen Kernel

- Deepwood Spell: Treesong

Drycha Hamadreth (320)

- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony

Branchwraith (80)

- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline

20 x Spite-Revenants (200)

10 x Dryads (100)

Total: 1000 / 1000

I feel like it's a good strategy at smaller point games to really lean into summoning or big models, and I'm going to be doing both. Drycha and the Spites are going to push towards a flank ideally, while the Ancient and Branchwraith support with spells, and summoning Dryads to protect objectives. It's simple, but I think it's going to do well on the smaller 4x4, where I can protect the Branchwraith and get a good two or three extra units on the board, hiding near trees for the buffs.

I'm not super sold on Winterleaf as the Glade, but the bonus is good and the artifact can make that first Alpha strike VERY strong. Most importantly, I think it's going to have a really nice aesthetic, and will look great on the table top.

@Mirage for those casting % tages I doubt you have included unbinds, am I correct? or can we assume everthing will not be in unbind range?

And for starting positioning: the Tree people need to be wholly withing 6"of a forest, will that be possible if you put the pre game forest near the middle? The 2nd forest (TLA's) will need to be 1"away from everything so it will be hard to place that and THEN get everything in 6"right?

14 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

He should still be within 8” of the wood

Wholly within right? That seems a bit of a stretch since our side of the table is usually 12"from enemy lines and that is where the forest will be.

14 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

They’d can’t be dispelled unless the dispelling wizard has LoS,

Wait.. is this a rule?  But it doesn't count for unbinding when cast I'm sure so that might be a thing.

Once I have some of the forest I'll try to put the models on the table and seen if it all is possible, because I think it's possible but I also think you give your strategy the benefit of the doubt in a bit to many instances. I think it will not work THAT good. It will be interesting to try out.

15 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Durthu’s average threat range goes from 12” (5” move + 7” charge) to 22” (5” move + 5” to move (C+H)) + 7” charge + 5” to charge (C+H). in that case I might not even need to teleport, I’ll just run up, stomp him and them smash him in the face..  

Note: This assumes a recast in enemy territory since hive means Durthu will need to be next to it.. and last turn it was on the other side. Possibly you even need to dispell the spell on the other side first  too I think.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

@Mirage for those casting % tages I doubt you have included unbinds, am I correct? or can we assume everthing will not be in unbind range?

Assuming deployment zones are max 12” from each other’s territory, and the enemy pushes right up onto the front line for deployment, that’s 24” between his deployment zone and mine. If the wytch is 7” from the front line there’s no chance she’s in unbind range for the first turn. And even then the unbinding wizard would need to be directly in front of her to be a threat. My guess is the enemy burns his unbind on the TLA, who will purposefully be in unbind range and start with verdant blessing or awakening the wood that’s in range (specifically to temp the enemy to burn one of his unbinds). If he unbinds it, I don’t need it and he’s burned an unbind. If he fails, then he’s burned an unbind and I get a free woods out 1” from his deployment zone (24” range easily puts it in front on my free forest.) If I fail the cast, then whatever.  

I can also drop the wraith last since she’s not actually part of any battalions in a convenient spot. Players don’t usually put squishy wizards right on the front lines anyway so I think it’s probably relatively safe to assume no unbind threats for first turn at least. But even if there is, I can put the wraith on the back edge and get her 35”away from anything the enemy can deploy. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

And for starting positioning: the Tree people need to be wholly withing 6"of a forest, will that be possible if you put the pre game forest near the middle? The 2nd forest (TLA's) will need to be 1"away from everything so it will be hard to place that and THEN get everything in 6"right?

It depends on the battleplan. Some battleplans have enemy territory up to 1/2 the board, others have it only 12” or so from the back edge.  

Pre-game forest goes on the opponents side 1” from the front line of his territory in either case. If he deploys way back out of alpha range, that’s actually great for me, because it allows me to control the objective game and I can save the alpha for a later turn; more CP and a more solid chance to get endless spells out.. Sometimes the threat of the alpha-strike is as good as the actual strike itself if it makes him play cautiously. 

In terms of having everything on my side within range to teleport; Yes. TLA’s forest goes on ours 1” away from everything I want to move. If I can get a 2-wood width forest out (I would specify deploy everything where this is a possibility) that’s a 36” long strip 5” deep for teleport range (1” away from units). TL’s (TLA and D’s) bases are only 4” long, so 1” away still gives me 1” to spare. TL bases are under 3” wide, so all three only take up ~8 inches of the 32” strip.  

Spites have 1.25” bases, so arraigned 20 in 4 rows of 5 they’re 5” deep and they’re in range too. That formation is only ~6.25 inches wide. The second unit will have to use the DW strat to teleport since I can only bring 1 unit through the woods that’s not a big tree.  Everything else can teleport on it’s own, (t-revs) or come down out of the celestial realm. 

All together, if I pack it tight, I can fit everything I need to into a space 14.25 inches wide. Incidentally if I can only get a 1 base forest out, that’s still 23” of teleport space. (Assuming it’s about 11” wide, the same as our old woods, and 6” on both sides, that’s 23” of teleport space.) it will be a wee bit tighter, but definitely possible. 

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Wholly within right? That seems a bit of a stretch since our side of the table is usually 12"from enemy lines and that is where the forest will be.

8 battleplans have the territories dividing the field in half. 4 have them ~12” from the back edge. The 4 that aren't dividing the board, without question yes.

For the 8 where the table is cut in half it’s a little more uncertain. In such case I would probably give them first turn, and let them get a little closer to my forest. Assuming they get a move between  5”- 10” if they move forward at all, Durthu should be in range for the extra 2 attacks. If the forest 1” away from enemy territory, and the enemy is 12” away from my territory, then they start the game 13” away from the edge of my forest. A 5” move brings them exactly 8” away, and I only have to come within .5 inches of them to complete the charge. So in this case Durthu is 7.5” away.

Keep in mind I can stomp anything within 3”, so if the TL/TLA gets the stomp off I can try to stomp what’s behind it. If he’s moved up super aggressively, I might even be able to use the DW strat to put the spites behind him and come at him from all directions. In that case I’d use Durthu and the 2 TL’s to take out whatever the front line screen is there (so he can make use of the extra 2 attacks) and lets the spites eat whatever was behind it without putting them at risk. 

If they are 13” away from the woods, and force me to take first turn, then I just send the spites with T-revs to screen. Archie can come down in the woods and hit anything within 18” if I need the extra oomph. I have 2 easy screens to protect him and I wouldn’t do it if I thought there’s a good chance he’d get overwhlemed next turn.

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Wait.. is this a rule?  But it doesn't count for unbinding when cast I'm sure so that might be a thing. 

It is! They need LoS to dispel an endless spell after it’s already been cast. 

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I think it's possible but I also think you give your strategy the benefit of the doubt in a bit to many instances. I think it will not work THAT good. It will be interesting to try out.

You said that about my first Dreadwood list when this thread started ages ago lol. 

The good thing here is that this doesn't absolutely have to go off in the first turn. I’ve been playing alpha-striking Sylvaneth for a while now and I know that sometimes you can’t pull it off in the first turn. In old Dreadwood, if you didn’t do it first turn you didn’t do it. Now I can reasonably do it in any turn the opportunity presents itself. 

The good thing is you’ll know what everything looks like after your hero phase, if both endless spells aren't out yet, or nothing is in range then you’d wait and set it up later in the game and set up the screened triple TL stomp on an objective and teleport everything into a good spot (out of likely charge range) to threaten something next turn.

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Note: This assumes a recast in enemy territory since hive means Durthu will need to be next to it.. and last turn it was on the other side. Possibly you even need to dispell the spell on the other side first  too I think.

I was thinking of Durthu's threat range if he’s not on the other side of the board. This would happen if the enemy took first turn and tried to push up on me,. (Possibly to try and unbind something). But to do that he’d give me the chance at a double turn and would have to sit in the middle of my forest to even be out of regular charge range. Plus the TLA is sitting there read to awaken the woods on anything smart enough to stand within 3” of them. They’d probably try and unbind that first. 

played my first game using Sylvaneth vs a shooting Stormcast list,mission was Blood and Glory, i lost turn 4.  here was my list

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Artefact: Glamourweave
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Arch-Revenant (100)
Akhelian King (240)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
- Allies

Battalions
Free Spirits (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 111

a few notes
-i didnt really bother with Command Traits and Artifacts due to the new book coming out, i havent fully looked at the current stuff
-Verdant Blessing was a pointless spell as i only had access to 2 Woods anyway

a few opinions/observations
-Tree Revenants are overcosted. their ability to teleport has been given way too high of a premium. it is my opinion that pretty much ALL units that come as 5 per 80+ points should have 2 wounds each
-Kurnoth Hunters rule about command abilities is great with the Arch Revenant
-Durthu didnt get to do much unfortunately as hes too slow and i didnt have the trees to move him quickly
-Sylvaneth it seems rely on the Wyldwoods way more than i had expected

i was building my sylvaneth with a theme in mind, basically trees with swords (pretty much those are the models i like. i dont like Dryads and would rather not use them). Treelord Anicent and Kurnoths with bows are the exceptions. Spite Revenants ill be running a completely different theme.

anyway, Durthu leading a horde of sword-weilding trees is something i would like to make work, Kurnoths not being battleline hurts (dont worry, i understand theyd be op if they were) and Tree Revenants seem too fragile and expensive

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

-Tree Revenants are overcosted. their ability to teleport has been given way too high of a premium. it is my opinion that pretty much ALL units that come as 5 per 80+ points should have 2 wounds each

They are overcosted a bit, at least to be used as the only battleline. As some pages ago was debated, they are probably best in the new book to teleport them in the way of a big threat and only loose 80 points per round, and maybe do some damage in between; or to capture an unguarded objective. So, maybe take one unit and use them as cannonfodder  heroic guards. 

-Durthu didnt get to do much unfortunately as hes too slow and i didnt have the trees to move him quickly

Maybe you can try to get the opponent come to you, not the other way around. Durthu may be slow, but he is a force to be reckoned with. Get him to an objective, hide him in the woods and let your enemy come to you. If your enemy is shooty, try to block LoS with your woods and camp the objectives. 

yup.

i was building my sylvaneth with a theme in mind, basically trees with swords (pretty much those are the models i like. i dont like Dryads and would rather not use them). Treelord Anicent and Kurnoths with bows are the exceptions. Spite Revenants ill be running a completely different theme.

anyway, Durthu leading a horde of sword-weilding trees is something i would like to make work, Kurnoths not being battleline hurts (dont worry, i understand theyd be op if they were) and Tree Revenants seem too fragile and expensive

As stated above, tree revs being the only battleline will be hard to play (competitively). Maybe use them as charge blockers, but as chaff, they do not have enough defense or numbers. And this is okay, this is not their job. That is what (from your perspective: sadly) dryads are there for. Use them as a elite group. Capture objective in the backfield, eliminate key targets and sabotage the opponents offense. They are special forces, not your all-purpose soldier. 

16 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

LONG BUT READ IT

Well after my very basic list with all the good stuff and winterleaf this will definately be the 2nd army I try... well dreadwood anyway, not the exact list since I don't plan on owning 40 spites anytime soon. 

7 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

played my first game using Sylvaneth vs a shooting Stormcast list,mission was Blood and Glory, i lost turn 4.  here was my list

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Artefact: Glamourweave
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Arch-Revenant (100)
Akhelian King (240)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
- Allies

Battalions
Free Spirits (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 111

a few notes
-i didnt really bother with Command Traits and Artifacts due to the new book coming out, i havent fully looked at the current stuff
-Verdant Blessing was a pointless spell as i only had access to 2 Woods anyway

Look up the new warscrolls and points and think about an army with an arch revenant and winterleaf for example and the freespirits battalion. Spites are even cheaper now and a bit better so going minimum spites will leave much points for hunters and have some decent screen. With the free spirits battalion Durthu will be a bit quicker too. It'll be similar to what you have now but probably work better.

Edited by Aezeal

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

this will definately be the 2nd army I try... well dreadwood anyway, not the exact list since I don't plan on owning 40 spites anytime soon. 

I’m not totally sold on the second unit of spites, only because it will take an extra command point to get them there (since they have to be in range of hive and the other unit of spites will use the realmroots, using up my “1 unit” per tun).  If I cut the second unit down to 5 that gives me 80 extra points. + the extra 50 left over its still not enough for hunters. So what would I take? Maybe an extra 2 units of t-revs to screen (losing the extra command point)? Or should I spread it around on the spites and have 1 unit of 20 and 2 units of 10? I could also swap out treesong on the wytch and give her Verdurous harmony instead of treesong to help top-up the spites did they end up losing models to shooting. Or maybe some other combination.

Thoughts?  

7 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

I’m not totally sold on the second unit of spites, only because it will take an extra command point to get them there (since they have to be in range of hive and the other unit of spites will use the realmroots, using up my “1 unit” per tun).  If I cut the second unit down to 5 that gives me 80 extra points. + the extra 50 left over its still not enough for hunters. So what would I take? Maybe an extra 2 units of t-revs to screen (losing the extra command point)? Or should I spread it around on the spites and have 1 unit of 20 and 2 units of 10? I could also swap out treesong on the wytch and give her Verdurous harmony instead of treesong to help top-up the spites did they end up losing models to shooting. Or maybe some other combination.

Thoughts?  

Not much more than I put in the big post I made. Guess it'll be trying out stuff..

26 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

Is there a list buider with the sylvaneth leak included available? In my battlescribe, only the old values are available.

The leaked info isn't officially "official" yet so you probably won't find it on Battlescribe until the new tome is released. Just have to wait a bit longer 😭

3 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Second, do we think Winters Bite will combo with Drycha?

It will combo to the extent that you will get one mortal wound and still be able to roll for a wound on the second attack generated by the 6. It certainly won’t allow you to inflict two mortal wounds per 6 rolled. 

25 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

It will combo to the extent that you will get one mortal wound and still be able to roll for a wound on the second attack generated by the 6. It certainly won’t allow you to inflict two mortal wounds per 6 rolled. 

Great that’s what I thought. Still a nice addition on 20 attacks.

What do you guys reckon to this...

Deadwood glade

Durthu - general 340
Drycha - regrowth or VH 320
TLA - regrowth 300
Wraith - throne vines - +1 spell staff 80

10x spites 120
10x spites 120
10x spites 120

6x scythes 400

Outcasts 100

Swarm 50

Total 1950

I'm slightly worried I may not have enough bodies on the table. However the general plan is to use the wraith to get the swarm spell up with the help of vines. Then alpha strike using durthu, drycha and the kurnoths with wyldwoods or DW command ability and then use the spites and TLA to claim the objectives. 

Edited by Bobbin484

I have succeeded in obtaining 2 looncurse boxes! Just good old search on a amazon ironically. But relatedly, is there any point in having 2 arch revenants? They seem like 2 is plenty. I only have 1 branchwych and I've never been disappointed. I have plenty of tiny plastic men that I don't need more unless I'm going to use them.

• LOVE IT! 1