AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Ok, I’ve finished reading through the FB summary thread, and I’m reading the Imgur thread now. And I have to say....

Things are going to change for us. ALOT.

The basic impression is this: All the things the wargroves did separately can now be done together, with a combination of items, spells and unit choices. This is going to take some time to figure out, so wait until you’ve really sat down and looked at how everything works together.  Some things have gone up on points, but at the same time we likely wont be spending 200 points on battalions anymore. 

Take deeps breaths, and sit down and write some sample lists before you scream “NEEERRRRFF” and sell everything you own on Ebay... or worse yet set it all on fire and post it to YouTube 😂😂 

P.S. hit and run flying durthu looks hilarious 

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

The only bit that seems quite annoying to me would be the battalions. Given you'll probably want to take a Glade, taking a battalion is the only way to ensure you get at least one artefact of your choice. The Kunorth hunters getting an auto 6 for run rolls isn't too bad. Outcasts suits the units, but I'm not sure how popular Spite-Revenants will be. 

6 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

The only bit that seems quite annoying to me would be the battalions. Given you'll probably want to take a Glade, taking a battalion is the only way to ensure you get at least one artefact of your choice. The Kunorth hunters getting an auto 6 for run rolls isn't too bad. Outcasts suits the units, but I'm not sure how popular Spite-Revenants will be. 

I mean, this at least had to be expected right? It's how all the other 2.0 battletomes had been written.

I'm going to let all the Sylvaneth super generals figure everything out, but Winterleaf looks really good to me. 

Just now, Neffelo said:

I mean, this at least had to be expected right? It's how all the other 2.0 battletomes had been written.

I'm going to let all the Sylvaneth super generals figure everything out, but Winterleaf looks really good to me. 

Agree, hopefully it doesn't devolve into dryad spam and become yet another 2.0 horde army. It's the one that really stuck out to me though.

So since it looks like every caster now has a chance to summon Wyldwoods, and we get less of them to start, casting spells seems like a really important part of the game. That does mean getting first turn is important, but you can deepstrike units onto trees now, so I think there's a good chance that a lot of Sylvaneth armies start looking like a small collection of larger units, a lot whom start off the board, and then can be placed anywhere.

Also Drycha + Spites + Dreadwood looks like a real army, imo.

• LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Ok, I’ve finished reading through the FB summary thread, and I’m reading the Imgur thread now. And I have to say....

Things are going to change for us. ALOT.

The basic impression is this: All the things the wargroves did separately can now be done together, with a combination of items, spells and unit choices. This is going to take some time to figure out, so wait until you’ve really sat down and looked at how everything works together.  Some things have gone up on points, but at the same time we likely wont be spending 200 points on battalions anymore. 

Take deeps breaths, and sit down and write some sample lists before you scream “NEEERRRRFF” and sell everything you own on Ebay... or worse yet set it all on fire and post it to YouTube 😂😂 

P.S. hit and run flying durthu looks hilarious 

(mentioned above but probably good to keep repeating it to prevent needing to look it up)

I'm not saying nerf overall

But

- Drycha 

- Alarielle seem worse

-most batallions abilities seem not that good for the points (I'm not convinced about paying that much for disallowing retreats or fixed runs of 6 or retreat and charge. --> I'd have prefered a run and charge ability)

- Magic trees option (my favorite flavor) seems nerved unless TLA warscroll is changed significantly (seen it now.. it's not, not so much magic trees anymore).

-wholly within IS a nerf ofcourse.. but expected and within 6" isn't terrible

- TLA command ability nerfed back to 1 bubble again.

- forest don't activate on unbound spells anymore

On the good side

-places of power is a nice bonus

- There are some great items in there.. VERY great items (getting more than 1 to choose from those lists will be harder though)

-Free glade.. are free with decent abilities and a command ability (we always had a lack of choice there) and the fixed items aren't bad either (fixed traits aren't all that though).

-Treelord cheaper

-spites cheaper

-Lords of the clan seems a steal except for needing 2 x TLA (weird needing more TLA's that TL's - haven't seen TLA warscroll though - anyone?) 2 TL and 1 TLA would have been great I think.

Neutral

-Silent communion on TLA. A sure wood turn 1 is always good but it's 1 max too 

- spites changes to abilities that meddle with bravery seem about equal.

18 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Agree, hopefully it doesn't devolve into dryad spam and become yet another 2.0 horde army. It's the one that really stuck out to me though.

My view:

Heartwood CA and Item are good.. but overlap with each other and with Archie.

Winterleaf Great ability, good CA and good item. Trait not good.. after getting wound and THEN a 5+.. it'd be acceptable if it was 3+ or better.

Dreadwood: GREAT CA, good item, ability and trait not that good.

Ironbark:ability not that great, CA: basicly a limted choice D3 damage on a 2+.. not good and probably not even worth a CP, trait: not great. Item: decent

Harvestboon: ability: somewhat limited but decent. CA: very good. Trait: fancy.. probably very good. artefact: basic.

Gnarlroot: ability is good. CA not that good since it's limited to 1 unit and 6+, trait not that great, item: Very good.

oakenbrow: ability: decent. CA: slightly better than vanilla, decent. Trait: decent. Item: decent

So yeah:

Winterleaf seems best with Dreadwood  and harvestboon next and maybe Heartwood

Not sure winterleaf needs to be dryad spam though, the ability and the item work on any unit.

Q's on my side:

Can alarielle be general and get the trait now (probably not and same for item but pretty sure that is a no anyway)

How are old woods still useable in the army?

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed leaked images

Am I missing something, or is it possible to surround existing terrain features with Awakened Wyldwoods as long as the bases don't come within an inch of the existing terrain feature?  That might make them significantly easier to place (while also encouraging people to buy LOTS of them - I can see 18 or 24 regularly being used if my assumption is correct).

2 minutes ago, Vition said:

Am I missing something, or is it possible to surround existing terrain features with Awakened Wyldwoods as long as the bases don't come within an inch of the existing terrain feature?  That might make them significantly easier to place (while also encouraging people to buy LOTS of them - I can see 18 or 24 regularly being used if my assumption is correct).

Everything within counts as part of the terrain feature. So no 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Alarielle seem worse

Where’s the imagination? The combos in this new book are bonkers:

Winterleaf wargrove w/ Alarielle +arch revenant. 

Charge with Allarille and arch-rev, Use the arch rev’s command ability and winterleaf item. You could also cast treesong if the enemy is within (not wholly, just within) 6” of a WW and RR 1’s to hit/wound. If they aren’t? Pop Alarielle Command ability to RR 1’s to wound

Alarielle attacks with +1 attack on all her Melee weapons. 6’s to hit cause two hits on the beetle for 5 damage, and each 6 causes D3 MW from talon now (I’m tempted to say that each 6 on talon will actually do 2 D3MW since the wording says “each roll of 6 causes 2 hits instead of 1”). 

And then can pile in and IMMEDIATELY attack AGAIN with Alarielle. That’s #$%#$ing murderball right there. 

If you run this with Lords of the Clan (2 TLA’s 1 TL lords, + 80 pt battalion) and can run the 3 tree lords together, (who can each roll for stop now, causing the enemy to fight last on a 4+, and can do MW  on a 2+ on your shooting phase). There’s your answer to Gristlegore Terrorgiests (always strikefirst + always strike last = fight initiative order) 

Throw in an endless spell to ensure this goes off at Long range (hive can give +3 move and +2 to charge), or the skullroot if the enemy is near a WW for D6 MW.

There’s a lot to like here. Not to mention the gnarlroot “bring a dead model back) is now a deep wood spell and we can get +3 to casting pretty easily through item and throne of vines.

The more i look at these synergies the more i like them. 

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah was thinking about Alarielle and winterleaf item too.

And as I said LotC seems nice though the use of 2 TLA's seems limited. 

Combining both however is 880 + 760  points with leaves limited room for troops to say the least :D, now.. maybe those aren't needed. :D

11 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

(always strikefirst + always strike last = fight initiative order

Is that the rule? haven't looked it up but last week someone said it was player whose turn it is decides..

12 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

There’s a lot to like here. Not to mention the gnarlroot “bring a dead model back) is now a deep wood spell and we can get +3 to casting pretty easily through item and throne of vines.

No true I think the +1 to cast is an aspect (trait) and with a glade you forfeit those lists (which is sad because the wizard aspects have a great list).

And we WON"T be having many models with both throne and the bring back a model spell except Alarielle or if we burn an item on that (which again has much competition). 

However the Vesperal Gem (especially on a TLA and even better in a list with Alarielle)

... is better than that combo anyway :D

28 minutes ago, Xil said:

So basically pick a terrain piece as place of power and surround it with a wyldwood and you have your bastion. 

Not sure you can do that, since inside the forest is also part of the terrain piece and you can't place it next to other stuff..

However.. you can pick your placed awakened wood. :D (which means.. bascily the same)

22 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

Throw in an endless spell to ensure this goes off at Long range (hive can give +3 move and +2 to charge), or the skullroot if the enemy is near a WW for D6 MW.

Also.. there is an item (yes ANOTHER great item) for +2 to run and charge. And hive gives +3 to both move and charge (typo I guess). SO you can get +5 on the charge.. which can be nice on a teleporter (but getting the spell next to a teleporter might be tricky).

1 hour ago, jaebird said:

So since it looks like every caster now has a chance to summon Wyldwoods, and we get less of them to start, casting spells seems like a really important part of the game. That does mean getting first turn is important, but you can deepstrike units onto trees now, so I think there's a good chance that a lot of Sylvaneth armies start looking like a small collection of larger units, a lot whom start off the board, and then can be placed anywhere.

Also Drycha + Spites + Dreadwood looks like a real army, imo.

Not sure bravery based armies will be viable as allcomer list.

12 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Allegiance ability nerfed? “Instead of making a normal move in your movement face, 1 friendly sylvaneth unit ... can navigate the realmroots”

Does it mean that only 1 unit can do so? (No need now to roll a dice, though)

Good point.. nasty because you can't teleport an offensive unit and his buffer.

However treelords etc have a warscroll ability that allows teleporting.

Edited by Aezeal

22 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Not sure bravery based armies will be viable as allcomer list.

true, but I was thinking about the buffs to the Spite Revenants; you get re-rolling hits and wounds of 1 on a 20 Spite unit and that sounds pretty good.

4 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Allegiance ability nerfed? “Instead of making a normal move in your movement face, 1 friendly sylvaneth unit ... can navigate the realmroots”

Does it mean that only 1 unit can do so? (No need now to roll a dice, though)

Yes, but Trees have their own teleport ability. 

I just read the rules for the new woods again. The last part says that at the end of the charge phase roll a dice for each unit that does not ahve the sylvaneth key word. on a 6+ that unit suffers d3 mortal wounds. Nothing says the unit you roll for had to charge for the ability to trigger. So basically any charge phase on a 6+ d3 mortals for any enemy uniit inside a wood?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Is that the rule? haven't looked it up but last week someone said it was player whose turn it is decides..

Yes that’s initiative order. The two abilities cancel out and the player whose turn it is activates a unit as per normal

22 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Combining both however is 880 + 760  points with leaves limited room for troops to say the least :D, now.. maybe those aren't needed. :D

1640pts easily lets you squeeze 20 dryads and 2 t-revs  (which you should be taking anyway for love of Pete)  Alarielle can still bring on 20 drayds, or 3 hunters if you need a little extra punch. and we still have the wraith to bring dryads on through WW.  

2 TLA’s mean extra casting artifacts and spells (regrowth, verdurous harmony, and throne of vines between the 2 of them and alarielle) not to mention everyone having access to our treespell.

33 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

However the Vesperal Gem (especially on a TLA and even better in a list with Alarielle)

... is better than that combo anyway :D

So true. That’s an amazing item. I still think throne of vines is well worth the price of investment. 

34 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Also.. there is an item (yes ANOTHER great item) for +2 to run and charge. And hive gives +3 to both move and charge (typo I guess). SO you can get +5 on the charge.. which can be nice on a teleporter (but getting the spell next to a teleporter might be tricky).

It’s a command trait, while the hive is an endless spell. It wont be hard getting into position  with the dreadwood wargrove that allows you to a free redeploy at 9”.

4 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

So does this mean Branchwraiths auto-summoning 10 Dryads every turn? Because that's turning 80 points into 500 points

The spell that summons 10 dryads is not aprt of the deepwood lore spells. You cant use the vesperal gem t auto summon 10 dryads every turn