AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, IRifter said:

Thank you for the insight. Sounds like a good upgrade path to me. 

Does anyone here have experience with magnetizing the weapons of the kurnoth hunters? I´d like to test all of the weapon options but I hate playing a weapon thats not on the model

I read in a post earlier that the dryads can get to a 2+ hit. How do you do that? Which units/heroes do you need for that?

After a few attempts with arms that fall off too easily, I find it better to go with something that's a little fiddly to change, but holds together firmly for general usage.

You want to magnetise at the shoulder. Arms should be glued at the hands, so that you have a single piece of arms in a U shape. You'll need to bend the shoulders out a little to get them on/off the torso.

Biggest, thinnest magnets you can fit onto the arm/shoulder connection. 3mm diameter, I think? The hole you drill for the magnets, centre it on the noggle bit of plastic that sticks out and lines up the two parts.  They'll never fit exactly, but should be good enough to not spot.

There are not enough shoulder pads to magnetise all three weapon options. If you're just doing swords and scythes then you'll find they share one shoulder pad per model - so you need to use pads from the bows. Alternatively, if you already have some glued Kurnoths then use the spares from them.

Here you can see one of the magnet of the scythes and one on the main body:

IMG_20190520_182952.jpg.d812b1156fb049c920fd32d76a42a0f8.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

After a few attempts with arms that fall off too easily, I find it better to go with something that's a little fiddly to change, but holds together firmly for general usage.

You want to magnetise at the shoulder. Arms should be glued at the hands, so that you have a single piece of arms in a U shape. You'll need to bend the shoulders out a little to get them on/off the torso.

Biggest, thinnest magnets you can fit onto the arm/shoulder connection. 3mm diameter, I think? The hole you drill for the magnets, centre it on the noggle bit of plastic that sticks out and lines up the two parts.  They'll never fit exactly, but should be good enough to not spot.

There are not enough shoulder pads to magnetise all three weapon options. If you're just doing swords and scythes then you'll find they share one shoulder pad per model - so you need to use pads from the bows. Alternatively, if you already have some glued Kurnoths then use the spares from them.

Here you can see one of the magnet of the scythes and one on the main body:

IMG_20190520_182952.jpg.d812b1156fb049c920fd32d76a42a0f8.jpg

Thank you very much! This will help alot when i build my kurnoth hunters!

Edited by IRifter

8 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

In regard to leos list: 

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/leo-rautonen-dreadwood-bobo-2019/

how is the Betrayers Crown on the Branchwraith useful? I thought you let your Branchwraith behind a screen of dryads to keep her safe. How do you use that combo? If the dryads charge in front of the wraith, the opponents models should never really be in range of the artefact.

Hey - I've been running betrayer's crown because of the extra horde removal it brings - particularly against ethereal units like grimghast and chainrasps. I think you could probably swap it to whatever you prefer (Ranu's Lamentiri, Luminary Rod etc.). I've been playing it as a deterrent to stop opponents charging their big units near her. E.g. my game one was against Legion of Sacrament with 30 grimghast in it in Starstrike. The branchwraith was sat just behind the dryad+spite-rev screens (at an awkward spot so vhordrai couldn't reach it easily), and as he had to charge his unit of grims in to contest the objective, he lost 10 of them immediately to the crown.

The list seems like it just alpha-strikes, but I didn't really alpha even once in all five games. The threat of it is there though, dictating the opponent's deployment. Depending on their deployment you can either go full on alpha, a partial commitment (e.g. kurnoths + dryad tags), or just set up layers upon layers of defense they have to go through, while zipping around with your three hammers punishing any over extensions.

Hope that answers the question!

• Like 2

Ugh. I simply cannot with magnetizing the arms of infantry-sized models. It takes so much work to make it look good and have them not fall off at random times.  I still have nightmares about the truly hideous 40k models I played against early in my wargaming career. I'd rather just buy more models. More power to you if you've got the patience, but I don't.

• Like 1

@TinyDino Thanks a lot for these insights!

As I have no experience with Dreadwood so far, I would like to ask you a couple of questions: 

- What would "go full on alpha" mean?

- When you talk About "layers upon layers of defense" how do you accomplish that with only S-Revs as real "chaff"? Do you count on summoning a lot of extra Dryads?

- In the description you wrote that Archie was not allowed. How would you change the list, if Archie would have been allowed to use?

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Craze

2 hours ago, Craze said:

@TinyDino Thanks a lot for these insights!

As I have no experience with Dreadwood so far, I would like to ask you a couple of questions: 

- What would "go full on alpha" mean?

- When you talk About "layers upon layers of defense" how do you accomplish that with only S-Revs as real "chaff"? Do you count on summoning a lot of extra Dryads?

- In the description you wrote that Archie was not allowed. How would you change the list, if Archie would have been allowed to use?

Thanks in Advance!

No problem, glad if anyone finds them interesting!

With regards to full alpha, that would typically mean committing Kurnoths, Alarielle, and Drycha into combat turn one (and get a high value swarm of squirmlings shot with Drycha in the shooting phase). Often you'd end up charging the summoned unit of 20 dryads and the general in for extra oomph, as well as pile-in control.

For the alpha to work, two things need to happen: you need to get at least two out of your three pre-game abilities (so you get both of the movement ones), and the opponent needs to have messed up their deployment. For example, my game three at the BMC one dayer the week before BOBO was against Nagash, 30 grims, 40 chains, couple chars and chaff. He left his Nagash unscreened from one flank, so I redeployed the Kurnoths 6" away from there. Drycha went after the chainrasps, and Alarielle went after the grimghast. At the end of my turn one the chains were down to a few models about to battleshock off, Nagash was dead, and the grims were down to half the starting size. Had he screened his Nagash better and spread out the units, I would not have tried a full alpha.

Re: defense layers, I virtually always summon 20 dryads from Alarielle, which gives me 20+10 dryads to work with and 4*5 spite revenants. Without Ranu's Lamentiri summoning extra dryads is a bit iffy, so I always plan as if I get zero dryads from Branchwraith summoning. 

It's a bit difficult to explain in words how the layering works but I always have a few goals in mind: force the opponent's to charge through wyldwoods to get to anything, make sure it is difficult to engage more than one unit at a time,  have enough layers that it is difficult for them to get to my high value targets even if they double turn, and have the hammers in position to be able to capitalise on any overextensions (e.g. my game 5 at BOBO my opponent charged his Archaon into some chaff, but he could not pile-in to be in range of Drycha - I had 6 kurnoths 11" away ready to charge it in my turn).

Finally re: Archie - I haven't really had a chance to playtest the list with him, but I was going to run it with a straight swap of the 10 dryads. He would be the general with Warsinger and Betrayer's Crown, while the second branchwraith could now take Ranu's Lamentiri. Arch-Revenant makes kurnoths stupidly good, would be a fast scoring character, and could deliver betrayer's crown a lot easier thanks to 12" movement and fly.

Bit of an essay reply, but hope that helps!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

Wow, thanks a lot for this effort!

I think I always considered Dreadwood too much as the pure alpha strike beast you describe as going "full alpha". 

The big misconception I probably had is that you would mostly summon another unit of hunters, but summoning more Dryads sounds perfectly reasonable as well, which I will try in the future.

Thanks again for your detailed response!

• Like 1

My Looncurse Sylvaneth half arrived today, having a blast with building the models so far! 

Im planning on buying 1-2 start collecting boxes next month. is there a way to build a spirit of durthu out of the tree lord in the start collecting box? 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, ElectricPaladin said:

Yes it has all the bits to make either.

Perfect. 

I'll probably buy 2 boxes since i need alot of dryads and the branchwych is also very good. What should i do with the treelords? One Durthu and one Ancient?

3 minutes ago, IRifter said:

I'll probably buy 2 boxes since i need alot of dryads and the branchwych is also very good. What should i do with the treelords? One Durthu and one Ancient?

FWIW, it's pretty easy to magnetize a tree lord. You just need to magnetize the right hand to hold either the staff or the sword.  Presumably you could also magnetize in an empty hand. The left hand is a bit harder because you either put in the vines or you don't and they're slender and difficult to magnetize, but it's probably doable. Or you could just magnetize the right hand with all three options, do the left hand without the vines, and say that you've modeled your treelord not currently shooting vines at people.

1 minute ago, ElectricPaladin said:

FWIW, it's pretty easy to magnetize a tree lord. You just need to magnetize the right hand to hold either the staff or the sword.  Presumably you could also magnetize in an empty hand. The left hand is a bit harder because you either put in the vines or you don't and they're slender and difficult to magnetize, but it's probably doable. Or you could just magnetize the right hand with all three options, do the left hand without the vines, and say that you've modeled your treelord not currently shooting vines at people.

That's even better. Thank you very much. I can't wait!

Of course there is more difference than just the hand/weapon choice with the treelord types. You can probably get away with a magnetised weapon, but it will look like your Treelord Ancient (for example) is holding a Durthu sword, rather than a proper Spirit of Durthu. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

Of course there is more difference than just the hand/weapon choice with the treelord types. You can probably get away with a magnetised weapon, but it will look like your Treelord Ancient (for example) is holding a Durthu sword, rather than a proper Spirit of Durthu. 

I'm not sure I agree. I mean, I haven't ever had the pleasure of assembling this kit from scratch, but I was under the impression that mostly it's just got a lot of options and the only real question is what's in the right hand.

First, the left hand is always a claw.  So that makes it even easier as you just need to magnetize the wrist of the sword/vines/staff hand.

When you get the kit, the directions will have a separate build for each of the three options, Treelord Ancient, Treelord, and Spirit of Durthu.  The leg and arm options are all interchangeable (though you'll have to be careful with the Spirit of Durthu arm build, as the Treelord's strangleroots can run into the ground if angled too low).  As for the heads, well in my opinion, they are completely interchangeable, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.  But if you have an issue with it, you can magnetize the heads as well (though this is probably a mite more difficult than the weapons).

1 hour ago, Namelessone81 said:

Hi all ! 

I am struggling to deal with the night haunts :( he usually has a unit of 9 spirit hosts (!) and something about 30 the unit with the shyths.

we are playing at 1750 points 

can you advise me as how I can counter him ? 

Use your wyldwoods to CC and pick the fights in a way that is favorable to you, for example engage your durthu/TLA/alarielle/drycha with those 30 grimghast reapers (scyte ghosts) and your big block of 30 dryads to the 9 spirit hosts. Also use shooting and tree rev to tp and kill his heroes, if you kill them the nighthaunt army falls like a house of cards.

Also don't use scyte Kurnoth against this army... much better swords/bows.

• LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

I totally agree and would strongly advise against cross-magnetizing durthu with the ancient for a TON of reasons.  This is just my preference- but I would never recommend doing that.

#1- They come in start collecting boxes! You're going to need Dryads anyway, and it was a good deal to get two start collecting boxes minimum to get 30+ dryads- at least it WAS a great deal before they started raising the prices of start collecting boxes this year...

#2-  Between Durthu's skull belt/ skull branches  of his victims and his iconic broken mask in contrast to the Ancient's beard, etc there are a LOT more differences than just a "different weapon" going on here.  In my opinion neglecting those differences will just make either Durthu or the Ancient look like a cheap knock-off.

#3- Are you really ok with only ever having 1 big treeman on the field?  Forever?  If you ever end up fielding both units in the future, the magnetism will be a waste.

Edited by Zanzou

11 hours ago, IRifter said:

I just looked at the pictures on the gw site and i have to agree with Trevelyan. There is a big difference between the models. @Trevelyan Do you know if one can build a "true" durthu with the start collecting?

You can. The Start Collecting box has the full set of Treelord sprus to make a ‘proper’ version of any of the options. The only treelord that you can build from a single spru is the ancient, as the Ancient spru has the core body parts and unique ancient parts. The second spru has the generic Treelord and Durthu parts. To make the basic Treelord seen in the SC box, the box has to contain all the parts for all varieties. 

You basically get a single set of core arms, legs and body sections which are universal, then three sets of joints for all of the limbs (shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles) which are interchangeable - you can build a ‘proper’ Ancient in a Durthu or generic Treelord pose if you want, and the official pics often show these variations in pose. Each specific treelord type has a unique head, shoulder branches (Durthu has skulls in his), belt/loin cloth and weapon for the right hand. 

I don’t understand why people thing that heads and other parts are interchangeable. The Durthu parts are covered in skulls, and the Ancient head has a full braided beard - they aren’t remotely similar. 

3 hours ago, Zanzou said:

#2-  Between Durthu's skull belt/ skull branches  of his victims and his iconic broken mask in contrast to the Ancient's beard, etc there are a LOT more differences than just a "different weapon" going on here.  In my opinion neglecting those differences will just make either Durthu or the Ancient look like a cheap knock-off. 

Well, Durthu had iconic look, but Spirit of Durthu may look differently. And Ancient Treelords don't have to have a beard, really. There are plenty of proofs in our battletome.
In my opinion limiting players to the "iconic look" is a bit silly. ;)

tree2.jpg

Tree1.jpg

• Like 4