AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

13 minutes ago, michu said:

I hope, I still wait for Warlock Bombardier (and Imperial Fists Upgrade Sprue).

I'm gonna hedge my bets and see if I can't land another one from someone else's box if they part it out, I don't know if I'd use two for most games, but I'd still like two. 😛

5 minutes ago, flufee02 said:

hi im new starting sylvaneth, havenet played AoS yet, and im not updated in the rules. what models should i get? is there a new book coming out?,  is allarielle good? :D thank you

Get a Start Collecting box, it gives you more than enough to get started with the game and learn the ropes. It will give you a caster hero, 20 dryads, and your choice of Treelord - personally I'd build it as an Ancient, since they are decent in combat, durable, and also a caster.

You'll want to hold off currently on buying a Wyldwood - I'm sure people would let you play with a template or something while you wait for the new models to get out of China.

I'd also invest in a box or two of Kurnoth Hunters, because they are pretty boss and do great work regardless of which flavor you build them as.

Alarielle is very good, but is more of a super-durable support unit and force multiplier than a frontline bruiser. Her abilities make your whole army better, especially if you are running lots of multi-wound models. I'd hold off buying her until you are confident with the army and understand how it plays, as she's a significant monetary investment, as well as a big points investment.

For other models, I'm a big fan of Drycha, both because of her great model and because she does great work on the table - her toolkit solves some problems that Sylvaneth otherwise have trouble dealing with. Both Tree-Revenants and Spite-Revenants are basically chaff units, despite being really great-looking models, at least with current points costs, and with Dryads being both cheaper overall and much more potent overall thanks to all the rules that help them. It's hard to say how valuable they'll be in the new book, so hold off on them maybe for the time being - but keep in mind that they might become a great option depending on how the rules end up going.

We'll be getting a new book soon, so it might be reasonable to hold off buying the battletome until then. In the meantime, buy the models in the range that appeal to you and start building them up. The ones above will get you started on the right track, I think!

• Like 1

So my game yesterday against a list with 4 thirsters with my winterleaf list was the complete opposite of the week before.. I TRASHED him... but now he he had terrible rolls (for example: after getting 3 hits  with his thirster and his wound rolls (2+ for rend -2  and damage D6) where 1,1 and 1) and I had decent ones (and last week I had bad rolls and he good rolls) so I'm not feeling that proud. 

But I was thinking about winterleaf a bit.

I'll start with my current list:

OLD WINTERLEAF

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Trait: Warsinger 
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
Forest Folk (140)
Winterleaf Wargrove (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

It was a bit geared towards beating 4 bloodthirsters so hunter loadout is not neccesarily fixed. Alarielle would summon 3 more bows and pop her CA when everything is in combat (turn 2 in my experience). The lamenteri wraith would sit on my backline within 12" of a wood trying to summon dryads. The other one would at least pop a forest turn 1 with the acorn. I LOVED the rerolls against chaos and I loved exploding attacks especially in our own turn.

Now since today (Looncurse) every Sylvaneth list (especially one with hunters) basicly needs an archregent. In THIS list Archregent would be nice next to bow.. but buffing a BIG unit of dryads is also nice. Since he can't be exchanged 1:1 with a wraith I'd say the list would become this:

LOONCURSE BASIC WINTERLEAF

Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
Forest Folk (140)
Winterleaf Wargrove (90)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 116

It would basicly function the same except archie buffs hunters on shooting a bit  turn 1(not needed against chaos since you'd have the RR already but against other armies it helps). After that he would probably need to get next to/in the middle of the unit of 30 dryads popping his CA every turn (preferably with hunters behind that unit still  wholly in 12".  That would give that unit a scary number of exploding attacks. Also.. you loose a spell from the wraith, no more healing.

But I was thinking about +1 to hit and all and I'm wondering what you all think about this:

WINTERLEAF with HURRICANUM

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
- Artefact: Goblet of Draining 
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
Forest Folk (140)
Winterleaf Wargrove (90)

Total: 1760 / 2000
Wounds: 111

OR add

- Greatbows
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

For

2000/2000

OR

20 x Dryads (200) --> or (170 if added to an existing unit)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

for 

1970 or 2000 / 2000

I know the hurricanum was abandoned after it's points increase however.. it's synergy with winterleaf makes me wonder if it's not viable in here as the order unit of choice. Obviously.. I've dropped allariele for it.. but you keep 240 points so that  means you have the ability to get 3 more hunters AND geminids for some -1 stacking. 

You loose:

-Alarielle's great CA.

-Alarielle's 2 extra spells AND her damage spell (great spell)

-Alarielle in combat, shooting and healing.

You gain:

- Great ranged damage options (maybe get a unit of melee hunters instead of only bows)

- +1 hit bubble (NOT wholly within I think) which makes dryads attacks hit on 2+ (potentially RR 1's against chaos) and exploding on 4+ in your own turn.

About the item on the hurricanum:

I was thinking about gryphfeather charm (great defensive option) BUT this Goblet of Draining seems great too: I THINK it would give you a roll on EACH of the storms of shemtek AND on the spell (and in combat.. but probably only once right? Or once for each weapon?)

SO

1. In winterleaf would what would you think is best of the newer lists? Or are there other suggestions (maybe a build with 2 Arch revenants, getting a 2nd unit of 30 dryads instead of a unit of hunters - which would make geminids possible in the "looncurse basic list" btw)? (Yes Mirage.. suggesting a build with some Tree-Revenants is perfectly acceptable;  I've certainly been thinking about that too.. but dryads in winterleaf and with hurricanum just seem better).

2. If you favor the Hurricanum (or not) which item would you suggest (and do you agree on how often the goblet would potentially spark?)

3. Kit and spells for Archie and the wraith: other suggestions. I'd prefer having regrowth but that means you are stuck with 2 forests max (but if your wraith in in range of a forest - and it should always be ofcourse you'll probably try summoning anyway).

Edited by Aezeal

1 hour ago, Mirage8112 said:

Scythes, unless your absolutely certain you'll be able to get all 6 within 1" when it's time to attack

But seriously: In dreadwood, IF you are aiming for the alpha strike wouldn't you go swords? They did equal damage against 3+ saves before and now they have added MW possibilities. On a potential alphastrike you won't have only 1"pile in anyway since you won't get the rerolls in any case SOOOO wouldn't they be better for that. I know you'd have to balance it against the turns after... but maxing out the alpha strike seems good too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aezeal said:

But seriously: In dreadwood, IF you are aiming for the alpha strike wouldn't you go swords? They did equal damage against 3+ saves before and now they have added MW possibilities. On a potential alphastrike you won't have only 1"pile in anyway since you won't get the rerolls in any case SOOOO wouldn't they be better for that. I know you'd have to balance it against the turns after... but maxing out the alpha strike seems good too.

Technically you’re right. Here’s how the math breaks down:

3 Sword Hunters raw damage output (MW accounted for): ~14 wounds 
Vs a 5+ save:  ~12 wounds
Vs a 4+ save:  ~10 wounds

Vs a 3+ save:  ~ 8 wounds
Vs a 2+ save: ~6 wounds

3 Scythe Hunters raw damage output:  ~9 wounds
Vs a 5+ save: ~9 wounds
Vs a 4+ save: ~ 7 wounds
Vs a 3+ save: ~ 6 wounds

All things being equal, sword hunters are superior in combat at equal numbers. But, like I said above, scythe hunters are valuable because they can be run in groups of 6 allowing every hunter in the unit to get attacks in. So lets assume all 6 scythes can get in combat, and only 4 of the sword hunters can (which is being generous).

4 Sword Hunters raw damage output (MW accounted for): ~18 wounds 
Vs a 5+ save:  ~15 wounds
Vs a 4+ save:  ~13 wounds

Vs a 3+ save:  ~ 10 wounds
Vs a 2+ save: ~8 wounds

6 Scythe Hunters raw damage output:  ~17 wounds
Vs a 5+ save: ~17 wounds
Vs a 4+ save: ~ 14 wounds
Vs a 3+ save: ~ 11 wounds

As you can see the damage output is pretty similar (scythes edge out swords by ~2 wounds) if we’re being generous and saying 4 of six swords can get into combat. I’ve run hunters both ways in several games (before the sword buff) and I can tell you from experience that when fighting in tight spaces it’s a very real possibility that you can only get 2 swords in combat (fighting around WW trees is a ******). 

The much more likely scenario is that you’ll only be able to get 3 swords in. Swords Hunters 3 across can’t attack in a second rank, while scythes can. in that case here’s the damage comparison: 

3 Sword Hunters raw damage output (MW accounted for): ~14 wounds 
Vs a 5+ save:  ~12 wounds
Vs a 4+ save:  ~10 wounds

Vs a 3+ save:  ~ 8 wounds
Vs a 2+ save: ~6 wounds

6 S
cythe Hunters raw damage output:  ~17 wounds
Vs a 5+ save: ~17 wounds
Vs a 4+ save: ~ 14 wounds
Vs a 3+ save: ~ 11 wounds

Even at a 5+ save, scythes blow sword hunters out because they can all attack. 

“But Mirage!” (I hear you say), “What if i fight out in open and manage to get all my sword hunters in combat?” To that I say, “why the hell would you fight out in open?” You should never, ever, ever, fight out in open unless you absolutely 100% honest-to-god have to.  Half of this army’s finesse is knowing how to use map choke points and WW placement to prevent your units from getting swarmed. You can easily handle a group of 30 wytch elves provided you can limit the amount of space they can fight in; a unit of 30 isn’t nearly as scary if only 5-7 can attack.

Opening your frontage so you can maximize your group of 6 sword hunters attacks might give you a 1 round advantage, but doing extends your front line from being 4.5 inches wide with scythes, to being 9 inches wide. A front line that long usually means you’ll be eating multiple charges next turn. A double charge from 2 units of 30 Wytch elves, sporting 4 attacks apiece means 2 units throwing out 120 attacks per unit, (possibly with RR’s depending on buffs/turn) at 3+/4+ rend -1. Since your swords aren't in cover anymore (you moved out to maximize your attacks remember?) You’re now RR’ing on only a 5+, vs 40 wounds after hit/wound (per unit of 30), which means even if you clear 1 unit of 30, you’ll lose about 1/2 your squad in the next turn from the other unit of 30. Not to mention that you no longer benefit from LoS blocking WW and can now get shot/magicked/ect ect as well as being mobbed by a bunch of blood-crazed (pretty) murder-elves. 

Alpha strike is another creature entirely, because your goal is to take out key support units/heroes/elite combat troops before they can do anything about it. The last thing you want to do in that case is maximize your frontage, because you’re likely to pull units into combat that you don’t want to fight. Dreadwood alpha-strike needs to be very focused so that you only fight the thing you want to kill, and ideally kill it before it can hit you back. It doesn’t do you any good if you can’t get all your swords into combat, or if you get too ambitious and take the units on the right and left of it by piling in with 3” of them unintentionally.  

So you ambush, form your scythes into a 3x3 bullet, and hit the thing that needs to die and only the thing that needs to die. Ideally you’ll have picked a target that’s not too close to anything that can hit you back. 

Sometimes it is a viable strategy to “tag” an adjacent unit by piling in 1 hunter within 3”, specifically so it ties the enemy down preventing it from moving and then charging you next turn. Moving a single hunter just within 3” means every model in the tagged must pile in toward that model. They cannot move and then charge to maximize their attacks which means you eat maybe 2-3 wounds instead of taking none and getting swarmed in their next turn. But even if you use this tactic, you don’t want to attack the unit you tagged, because if your opponent removed casualties from the front, he’s no longer in combat and can move and swarm you next turn. Scythes don’t have to worry about this, because with 2” reach the unit will expend all it’s attacks on the alpha strike target. That sword hunter however has to attack the tagged unit, per the core rules, a unit that is in combat must attack if it is able to; it can’t reach the alpha target (1” reach, blocked by his squad) means he has to attack the other unit, which means it’s almost pointless to use this tactic and you’ll get swarmed next turn no matter what you do.

TL:DR 

Dont get me wrong, swords are a lot better than they used to be (even though I occasionally played them the old way) but they are best in 3’s. Scythes are best in a unit of 6-9. 

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thinking on the new wyldwood, I guess the size of the base of new trees would be similar to the old ones correct? Leaving apart those little roots on sides

I need my 3d printer to make some trees :P

Edited by Hoseman

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Any opinion on the winterleaf lists above?

I like the addition of the hurricanium with great bows. It seems to me that if your going to take bows, you need the hurricanium for the +hit. I think having a decent artillery base synergies well with that many drayds (since they are notoriously difficult to shift). I’d also agree that the goblet of draining is a better pick than the gryph feather charm, because your bows will discourage anybody from getting too close, and you have your 10 x drayd units to screen for CC. 

I know it seems odd to say (because I agree the Archie will be a staple of Sylvaneth lists from now on), but I’m not sure you need him in this list. Extra attacks on drayds are so-so, since they are 4+/4+ no rend (+1 on your turn vs one enemy unit). On a unit of 30, you probably won’t have all of them in range if you’re fighting in a WW (you should be fighting in a WW) so if they’re fighting in 2 ranks you’ll likely only be getting 12-18 extra attacks from the CP, that only translates to an extra 3-4 wounds with no rend. For every point of armor, that drops about a wound off that total. 

If you drop that Archie, you can take a TLA in your second list. I think he’ll synergize better, since envoys of the everyqueen will let you RR a bunch of saves on your drayds if you position them right. I don’t think this is the right list for Alarielle, since bow hunters will be out of combat (hopefully) and wont need Alarielle’s healing, and drayds are only 1 wound apeice. TLA gives you stomp, an extra spell that can rouse the wood twice (the effect of the spell, and then on a 5+ the wood attacks as well).  That still leaves you 40 points if you want to take an endless spell. Souls are shackles might be fun, since the longer it takes the enemy to close the gap, the more chances you have to shoot.  

Edited by Mirage8112

1 hour ago, Mirage8112 said:

I like the addition of the hurricanium with great bows. It seems to me that if your going to take bows, you need the hurricanium for the +hit. I think having a decent artillery base synergies well with that many drayds (since they are notoriously difficult to shift). I’d also agree that the goblet of draining is a better pick than the gryph feather charm, because your bows will discourage anybody from getting too close, and you have your 10 x drayd units to screen for CC. 

I know it seems odd to say (because I agree the Archie will be a staple of Sylvaneth lists from now on), but I’m not sure you need him in this list. Extra attacks on drayds are so-so, since they are 4+/4+ no rend (+1 on your turn vs one enemy unit). On a unit of 30, you probably won’t have all of them in range if you’re fighting in a WW (you should be fighting in a WW) so if they’re fighting in 2 ranks you’ll likely only be getting 12-18 extra attacks from the CP, that only translates to an extra 3-4 wounds with no rend. For every point of armor, that drops about a wound off that total. 

If you drop that Archie, you can take a TLA in your second list. I think he’ll synergize better, since envoys of the everyqueen will let you RR a bunch of saves on your drayds if you position them right. I don’t think this is the right list for Alarielle, since bow hunters will be out of combat (hopefully) and wont need Alarielle’s healing, and drayds are only 1 wound apeice. TLA gives you stomp, an extra spell that can rouse the wood twice (the effect of the spell, and then on a 5+ the wood attacks as well).  That still leaves you 40 points if you want to take an endless spell. Souls are shackles might be fun, since the longer it takes the enemy to close the gap, the more chances you have to shoot.  

But in our turn the attacks explode on a 4+ if in range of the hurricanum ( so if 20 are in range that means 40 attacks to start, then another 20 from exploding on average (60. 2+ to hit means 50 left 4+ to wound means 25 before saves.  With Archie CA If we get another attack each that means 60 becoming 90 after exploding, 75 after hits, 37 after wounds before saves. Which is 12 more.. so six AFTER saves.  So.. this is in optimal conditions (BUT if you say only 20 ar in combat then stringing back to the hurricanum is easier too :D) but for 100 points even your 3-4 in a turn is better than most stuff you can get for those points

And if the first 2 turns you can keep him in range of the Hunters you get the RR 1's there which combined with the hurricanum gives a good hit %. I can see the TLA being better in direct comparison to Archie.. but Archie gets another 20 dryads OR 3 more bow hunters... I think I'll have to try both but I'm not convinced the TLA will be better than that. 

I've found that we are often JUST to low on damage to conquer objectives and this might help.

No artifact for the Hurricanum:

"Q: A Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove can include an Order Wizard, and a Sylvaneth Winterleaf Wargrove can include an Order unit. Are such units allies? A: Yes they are. However, because they are part of a Sylvaneth warscroll battalion, they do not count towards the number of allied units you can include in a Sylvaneth army, and their points will not count against the number of points spent on allied units for a Sylvaneth army in a Pitched Battle. Note that although they don’t count against these limits, for all other rules purposes they are treated as being allied units, and therefore can’t be given artefacts of power, know spells from its spell lores, and so on."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en.pdf, page 8 )

Edited by Isotop

So, I’m curious. What are people thinking we’ll be seeing in the new Battletome? I know no one really knows, at least not that can say anything, but I kinda want wild speculation, because it’s fun. 

I’m thinking our wargroves are gonna be converted into subfactions, which is sad because that means no more 1 drop armies, and less items for my heroes. Also they’ll probably drop it down to 4, as that seems like the norm? Not sure which two get dropped though. 

So, anyone else have any rambling/wild unbased speculation they wish to share?

How do you play throne of vines? 

I always hear all and everything: 

Do you cast the spell and then roll a d3 to see the bonus for the next spell casts/unbinds? Or do you roll a d3 every time? 

Edited by Alezya

15 minutes ago, Alezya said:

How do you play throne of vines? 

I always hear all and everything: 

Do you cast the spell and then roll a d3 to see the bonus for the next spell casts/unbinds? Or do you roll a d3 every time? 

I apply a new D3 to every cast/unbind. For it to be the other way, I think the second sentence of Throne of Vines had to be replaced by:

"If successfully cast, roll a D3. The caster can add the result to all future casting and unbinding rolls they make until they next move."

Edited by Isotop

So Kurnoth Hunters new Envoys of the everqueen does mean that they are always in range of the command ability.
Does it also mean that they can stay far away, like i don't know 15" from the arch revenant 'call to battle' command ability and stil gain the +1 attack?
Or do they must be 9" if arch revenant is not the general?
Also what happens to the units wholly within 12" from KH that are far away (more than 12") from the arch revenant ?

Edited by vesco

4 hours ago, Isotop said:

If successfully cast, roll a D3. The caster can add the result to all future casting and unbinding rolls they make until they next move

I think it is quite clear.

You cast ToV.

If it succeeds, roll a D3.
Add that to all future casting&unbind rolls. 

No rolling dice after that, just taking the roll until you move and the spell vanishes. 

Your variant would be "add one D3 to future casting and unbind rolls".

10 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

I think it is quite clear.

You cast ToV.

If it succeeds, roll a D3.
Add that to all future casting&unbind rolls. 

No rolling dice after that, just taking the roll until you move and the spell vanishes. 

Your variant would be "add one D3 to future casting and unbind rolls".

Do you realize that your quotation from my post is not the wording of the spell?

23 minutes ago, vesco said:

So Kurnoth Hunters new Envoys of the everqueen does mean that they are always in range of the command ability.
Does it also mean that they can stay far away, like i don't know 15" from the arch revenant 'call to battle' command ability and stil gain the +1 attack?
Or do they must be 9" if arch revenant is not the general?
Also what happens to the units wholly within 12" from KH that are far away (more than 12") from the arch revenant ?

All friendly SYLVANETH units wholly within 12" of a unit of Kurnoth Hunters are considered to be in range of command abilities. Therefore, the original range (the 9" you are talking about) is overridden. You can be 69" away from the Arch Revenant and still be affected by his command ability (as long as you are wholly within 12" of a unit of Kurnoth Hunters). You simply do not measure the original range anymore.

• Like 1

I also roll throne of vines each time.

Obvious: wholly within, unmodified 6s, endless spells, new trees.

likely: wargroves become subfactions, new trees are usuable with/in addition to current Wildwood model for those of us who have many, some Wildwood abilities get incorporated either into the Wildwood scroll or become independent of Wildwoods or become a more coherent allegience ability that isn't dependent on trees. E.g -1 to hit on dryads and brancwraith, extra hitting power on branchwych and durthu, deepstrike on revenants already done. A few streamlinings like rewording the instant death allarielle claw, the treelords. Modifications to the summoning of allarielle and the branchwraith

Hopes: spite revenants and tree revenants usable as real battle line for variety, maybe some ability for kurnoth hunter battleline. Treelords and Ancients get a slight points drop. Durthu gets a less brutal decrease with damage. Another command ability beside the treelord ancient (redundent with mystic shield) allarielle (once per battle) and the new guy (great but variety and choice is nice)

I would expect rules for each Wargrove that encourages certain force compositions by providing bonuses to non-Dryad battleline units - currently Dryads are far and away the best battleline, and many strong lists just tank up on Dryads to the exclusion of other units, simply because they are so potent and cheap.

I'd also expect some new battalions (for obvious reasons) and probably a reconfiguration of items and so forth to reflect current game realities.

I'm most interested to see how reliant on Wyldwoods Sylvaneth will be, and how we will generate them moving forward, given that much of our current strategy seems to hinge on getting the first turn and blanketing the board so we are ensured both our mobility and our protection.

23 hours ago, Isotop said:

No artifact for the Hurricanum:

"Q: A Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove can include an Order Wizard, and a Sylvaneth Winterleaf Wargrove can include an Order unit. Are such units allies? A: Yes they are. However, because they are part of a Sylvaneth warscroll battalion, they do not count towards the number of allied units you can include in a Sylvaneth army, and their points will not count against the number of points spent on allied units for a Sylvaneth army in a Pitched Battle. Note that although they don’t count against these limits, for all other rules purposes they are treated as being allied units, and therefore can’t be given artefacts of power, know spells from its spell lores, and so on."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en.pdf, page 8 )

Arg dammit.. what to do then...hate wasting items.