AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Looking at those trees, do you think it'll be fine to use the trees from the old wyldwoods? It'd be really nice of GW to officially allow it. Somehow I doubt they'd ever state that.

EDIT: Post above already confined this. Yay!

Edited by a74xhx
I can't read

27 minutes ago, Charlo said:

My bet is both terrain types will have rules in the new book and in some cases be interchangeable and others specific. 

The 1 inch vision rule probably won't apply to the new ones.. but if we can choose which too use that would be nice. . Block enemy behemoths on that side.. Let mine pass on the other side.

If they truly hold to their word and continue to support regular Wyldwoods then I will end up having to give GW credit for not doing a greedy play for once.. 😅Maybe even GW realized that having to spend > 300 dollars for a single faction "spell" and then have it be useless with their next piece would be unreasonable.

Edited by Zanzou

54 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Let's not forget that models with ranged attacks are usually given higher point costs, since ranged is at a premium in AoS. It could be that the melee units are less expensive per group of 3.

Warhammy community seemed to suggest that the warscrolls were separated out because Looncurse only includes the Bow Hunter variant. Not because they we’re going to point the models differently.

4 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

There's photos from the looncurse box floating around showing the points. 

The Arch-Revenant is 100pts, everything else is the same. Hunters (at least the bow variant) are 200, Tree-Revs are 80/420 

60108808_2233913256677979_48149688907213 

Bow Hunters and Tree-Revenants almost officially useless. ☺️ Why would I bother when I can use much better Swords and Scythes or Dryads? I start to wonder shouldn't I regret ordering Looncurse. I did it mostly for Gloomspite side but still... 

3 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Warhammy community seemed to suggest that the warscrolls were separated out because Looncurse only includes the Bow Hunter variant.

"as you only get one of them (Hunters) in Looncurse, we wanted to provide all three warscrolls for download below"

I understood quote more like: you only get one box of hunters in LC, so we want you to be able to make a informed descision and not build one variant and 2 weeks later change their warscrolls. If there were just the hunters with bows, there would be no point in releasing all 3 warscrolls.

In addition, nowhere in the shop they said something like "Kurnoth hunters with greatbow" but just kurnoth hunters. 

I quite like the Tree Revenants now, they don't need trees to move around nor do they have to be near a board edge.  Imho they are good MSUs that grab objectives to put pressure on your opponent to do something about them.  People complain about the Hunter's points, I'm happy they didn't go up and as it has been stated before shooting in AoS is at a premium so I'm happy that Sylvaneth has a decent shooting unit.

17 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

That’s why I said “because you misread the *revenant requirements for Dreadwood” 

Nah, I played Dreadwood several times, I'm not misreading. ^^ 

I was talking about tree revenants because I was asking myself the point of playing a unit of 30 tree revenants = 420 pts.

Hi guys

Some advice needed..

I'm looking to start sylvaneth I already have a treelord, branchwraith, branchwych and 6 hunters with swords from my 8th wood elf army. I've ordered limited.

What's the next step to take given the new book coming?

I'm interested in getting stuff now in case there's a price hike on the getting started box. 

Cheers

If you do not want to wait for the new BT to come out, then I guess a Start Collecting is never a bad thing for Sylvaneth players. At least one of the Treelord versions will be good, and Dryads will most probably also still be viable.

Tree Revenants at 80 points being able to teleport anywhere on the board are like mini heart renders, super valid for the cheap point cost. It's a shame to see Kurnoths with greatbows staying at 200, but maybe with re-roll 1s from a Arch Revenant and some other new things, they could see a return. 

26 minutes ago, Lenwe Seregon said:

Hi guys

Some advice needed..

I'm looking to start sylvaneth I already have a treelord, branchwraith, branchwych and 6 hunters with swords from my 8th wood elf army. I've ordered limited.

What's the next step to take given the new book coming?

I'm interested in getting stuff now in case there's a price hike on the getting started box. 

Cheers

Maybe some batteline? Hard to know which one to get atm with the new tome coming soon (personally hope that the new tome makes Tree revenants a great battle line choice)  I think you want at least 3 more hunters and maybe invest in some bigger HQ (Alarielle, Drycha, Durthu)

Spirit of Durthu does a lot more damage, but is a little too fragile to use without a plan to get them into combat. The Ancient is way more well rounded, it's a wizard and has a pretty good spell, but also is a fair bit weaker in combat. I think the Treelord Ancient is the one I would get first; it's easier to fit in a list, a little better to be a general. There's some argument that crowded tables make the 50/50 Wyldwood summoning pretty bad, but I think a tough wizard that can fight and soak a ton of damage is still worth 300pts.