AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So, based on what’s come out, the following seems likely to me:

Most everything we’ve seen so far says that our army isn’t changing all that much. That (might) mean that abilities that are dependent on tree placement (like waypipes) are now no longer dependant on WW placement to be effective. 

While it would have been nice to see T-revs get some upgraded abilities, waypipes is decidedly better. The ability to just drop them anywhere on the map means we’re no longer tied to table edges or forests  and they can literally jump right in front of an enemy that’s preparing to charge. For you old WHFB players they are now the equivalent of a great eagle on steroids, since 5 can literally sit in your backfield until you need them and then you can just drop them in the enemies way  and buy yourself an extra turn before you have to fight a unit you don’t want to fight. 

If the T-revs essentially remain the same, that probably means dryads will get -1 to hit naturally just because they’re dryads. I wonder how they’re going to handle the guardian sword or Treelord ancient’s spells now? 

If those trees are our unique terrain piece, It also begs the question wtf do they do? I’m not totally convinced they’re our unique terrain piece, since the  Battletome featured kitbashes of existing woods and few custom tree conversions.  It does look like they have feet though...  hard to say until we get more info.

15 minutes ago, overtninja said:

It looks like the revenant hero can sacrifice their flappy bug to auto-pass a wound or mortal wound! That's really nice for a support hero to have.

Yeah thats super cool. So is the crescent shield ability that allows either rerolls of hits or saves of 1. 

2 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Yeah thats super cool. So is the crescent shield ability that allows either rerolls of hits or saves of 1. 

For all of my potential wyldwood complaints, everything they’ve done with the new hero from model design to the rules is totally fantastic.

My hope with the Kurnoth warscroll split is that the bow users will see a point reduction since they did not get the 3 attacks we were all hoping for.  That could at least help them see some play again. As of now, sword users are way too strong to turn down for the same point cost.

Last hope is that they find a way to keep sylvaneth positioning strategy alive and well rather than just make them completely independent of positioning like they did to the tree-revs. Don’t get me wrong, they needed a buff but I’m not sure about buffing everything in the army to be just another stand-alone force.

If those big trees have legs, maybe we'll be able to walk them around the board, instead of having to use tree-singing to do it, so that we can relocate our teleport locations. Otherwise, they'd basically be the gnawholes that skaven have, which would be pretty lame. 😜

• Like 1

If this is all they had corrected about Tree-Revenants then epic fail GW. Unit that dies first, kills nothing. Who writes these rules? Cleaning ladies at GW? It was the only unit that really needed help in Sylvaneth forces. Beyond disappointment. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

If this is all they had corrected about Tree-Revenants then epic fail GW. Unit that dies first, kills nothing. Who writes these rules? Cleaning ladies at GW? It was the only unit that really needed help in Sylvaneth forces. Beyond disappointment. 

I am concerned about the revenants, but no need to get negative before anything has even been revealed...

We already know waypipes are better.

Edited by The World Tree

6 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

I am concerned about the revenants, but no need to get negative before anything has even been revealed...

We already know waypipes are better.

I guess we either trust in the whole warscroll or none of it.

It weren't the skills that needed boost but stats. What good comes from them moving around tge battlefield if they are close to useless in combat? Poor save, 1 wound, 4 to hit. I don't buy their function as moving walls. They should be a commando unit. Fragile but deadly. If they weren't needed for Gnarlwood I would never take them for the fight. 

6 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I guess we either trust in the whole warscroll or none of it.

It weren't the skills that needed boost but stats. What good comes from them moving around tge battlefield if they are close to useless in combat? Poor save, 1 wound, 4 to hit. I don't buy their function as moving walls. They should be a commando unit. Fragile but deadly. If they weren't needed for Gnarlwood I would never take them for the fight. 

They've always been brilliant for objective play (threatening back objectives). Their capacity for this has been reduced in some ways (if Wyldwood goes they are less able to stay safe) and improved with the greater teleporting capacity.

I do however agree that they should have been given a role like that. Spites are much worse though.

2 hours ago, Aryann said:

I'm in the same boat as you right now but hey, the news can only get better from here, right?

7 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'm in the same boat as you right now but hey, the news can only get better from here, right?

It's disturbing Wyldwoods disappeared from Tree-Revenants' warscroll. We'd better wait what they did to those. I'm not if I would accept swapping Wyldwoods mechanic for some other piece of terrain. 

17 minutes ago, overtninja said:

GW likes to do a week or two of previews before a release, for hype purposes, so we'd still be a few weeks out from release anyway.

Yeah for sure, but if you remember last week they showed the new endless spell. I was basing the timing off Carrion Empire and associated battletomes, but I suppose this will just give me time to paint more before the release!

2 minutes ago, Charlo said:

My bet is that it's gone from their warscroll (and may others) because the new terrain effects may well be encompassed on its own scroll.

Your avatar pic is badass. Just thought it needed to be said haha.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, overtninja said:

If those big trees have legs, maybe we'll be able to walk them around the board, instead of having to use tree-singing to do it, so that we can relocate our teleport locations. Otherwise, they'd basically be the gnawholes that skaven have, which would be pretty lame. 😜

although its possible I’m wrong, I don’t think those are are our unique scenery piece, unless there’s more to it I’m not seeing. One tiny leg or not, they really don't fit the “over the top with a bunch of things on it” AoS aesthetic.  The leaves on the tree are very clearly the same leaves from our current woods kit, and although the scale is decent, it just doesn’t look like it has a lot of detail. 

I mean look at the loonshrine fgs. Even the dwarf forge has runes and stuff all over it. 

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

Chaff wins games. 

As much as people hate it, knowing when to feed a relatively weak but mobile unit to an enemy whose intent on throwing his most powerful unit at you, can mean the difference between a win and a loss, or, a major loss and a draw (if it comes down to it). Tree-revenants (before the update) were hands down the best char fin the game, and now, they’re even better. A unit that can do 10 MW on the charge, or 30 wounds + 6MW if they activate first is not scary if they have to go through 5 t-revs that suddenly popped up in their previously clear charge path. 

1 hour ago, The World Tree said:

I do however agree that they should have been given a role like that. Spites are much worse though.

If you check a few pages back, the new Arch-rev does a decent job at turning them into a commando unit. We don’t know what our items are like yet, but if you can get an arch-rev behind enemy lines, and give him a -hit item like briarsheath, and possible a warsinger command trait (if he’s the general) he’s decently survivable. 4+ save RR’1s, -2 hit vs shooting. Once he’s there, you can just pop a group of 10 revenants within 9” of an enemy, and charge all of them with +2 (from warsinger). Manage to get Cogs out, it’s +4 to charge. T-revs can even RR one charge dice almost guaranteeing a charge. Pop command ability, and that 160 pt unit of revs is doing 15 wounds vs a target with a 4+ save (not counting the Arch revenenants attacks. That’s enough to take most characters, warmachines and monsters off the table in one round of combat: FOR 160 POINTS.  How much more commando can u get?

Spite are nearly the same deal as T-revs in the sense that they are chaff.  As somebody who plays dreadwood primarily they are excellent area denial and combat multipliers. If i’m using the TLA bunker ploy (Treelord ancient, with 30 dryads in front in a half circle in Wyldwood, I’ll have a two untis of 5 spites mixed in just out of combat and one behind guarding the rear. Anybody want to jump in from behind they have to clear the spites first, giving me an extra turn to figure out what I’m going to do about it. If they just opt for combat, They cant clear 30 drayds in a single turn, which means they’re stuck 3” from 2 spite groups. in the hero phase they get blasted with 2D6- bravery worth of MW (-1 bravery from the spites themselves to boot) then, combat, and then have to roll 2D6 for battleshock and discard the lowest. For armies that have 6 bravery or there about that can be a brutal turn. I’ve had whole stormcast units flee after crashing into that wall and having combat turn pear shaped. 

Not everything can be hunters or Drycha. Some stuff does combat well, but just because you cant throw 5 at star brand and take him off the table in 1 turn doesn’t means its a useless unit.  

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1