AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 hours ago, Zanzou said:

That would be kind of atrocious to me.  They tell us we basically have to buy a ****ton of this terrain to be viable and then would delete the terrain completely 2 years later? Even as a big Sylvaneth fan, justifying buying new terrain for them if they're throwing out my previous investments into them is a major turn off and with that big slap in the face don't know if I'll bother with the new rules... As long as they continue to make the old wyldwoods an acceptable option in play then I won't complain.

To be honest, the reason i didn't buy a sylvaneth army was because of the wyldwoods. Not only they are expensive, but that you also have to transport them. The army will be better with them gone, i just hope gameplaywise it won't hinder them. I am sorry for you and i don't want to come as a ******, but have you thought about donating them to your gaming group? That's what i had done with similar stuff in the past.

Cheers.

Edited by Kairos Tejedestinos
  • Like 3

I was almost 100% sure not to wait for big changes so the kurnoth are the same. Maybe they rework the tricks of the tree rev but nothing else. Of course, new battletome, new batalions, new endless and maybe new terrain... we will see

Can we talk about the new version of Envoys and how useful it will be?
In the past it was used only for the Ancient's re-rolls, but with our new hero, ArchRevenant, this ability will be super useful.

Arch-Revenant will have 5 wounds (probably), so it will be wise to keep him in the back. With the BowKurnoths, for example - for re-rolling 1 "to hit". Thanks to the Envoys, frontline should be always in range of his command ability (+1 attack to melee weapons) if you keep your revenants/dryads/ with Sword/Scythe Kurnoth Hunters. Add some extra tactics with the Alarielle (she probably will keep her ability to summon Kurnoths).

Call to battle (Archrevenant's command ability):

You can use this command ability at the start of a combat phase. If you do so, pick 1 fiendly Sylvaneth unit wholly within 9" of a friendly model with this command ability, or wholly within 12" of a friendly model with this command ability that is your general. Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic (...)

Envoys of the Everqueen (New version):

If a friendly Sylvaneth Hero uses a command ability, friendly Sylvaneth units fully within 12" of this unit are treated as being in range of that command ability.

1 minute ago, Towercap said:

Those trees look freestanding, too. That would be a great way to solve the frustrating footprint of the current kit.

Aye its the biggest issue and always has been, esp now that they can summon multiple forests to the table. They might shift the forests back to being a "starts on table" feature like many of the terrain items and then allow them to summon the free standing trees. They might even work it so that the free standing trees work like the three warpstone icons for Skaven - 3 items that appear on their own and form a triangle (or it could even be 4 forming a rectangle etc...). So that you've got the area coverage, but without the impeding terrain getting in the way of the models. 

I can't see GW retiring their tree terrain pack, its a big popular seller even without sylvanath

They have three of them there so maybe it's not just a matter of having one of them and they do something similar to the woods. It could be that we still have to buy several of them to teleport around. They also don't look any easier to store and transport than the existing woods! 😂 

It's still exciting. We'll see. 

The tree revenant warscroll has been updated, can see it AoS shorts (Dan) twitters page . Waypipes no longer refference Wyldwoods, martial memories slightly re-worded, gained the household keyword, no 3+ fight first on their warscroll

Edited by AaronWilson
  • Thanks 1

So Tree Revs don't get the ability to fight first like the guardians. Boo. Sounds like they'll be staying on the shelf then.

5 hours ago, Towercap said:

Those trees look freestanding, too. That would be a great way to solve the frustrating footprint of the current kit.

... And Sylvaneth players already have probably 20-30 free standing trees already painted. Ok, they are a little smaller, but don't see why we couldn't reuse them.

Depending on the actual size of these new trees, it might be possible to combine the three trees in each Citadel Wood base into a big tree, which I'll certainly try to do - though I'll have to pry the stumps off the bases to do that, but it'll be worth if I don't have to buy all new stuff. :s

5 hours ago, Hoseman said:

I wonder why they split kurnoth hunter warcrolls. We cant downlead yet

Perhaps bow and melee Hunters will be different points values? 

My hopes haven't been dashed - we haven't got exactly what we had decided we must be getting, but there are little buffs here and there. The Revs popping up anywhere sounds fun. The tweak to envoys of the everqueen is really good - the hunters and every unit near to them can benefit from something like the arch-revenant's command ability as well as the arch rev and the units near her - as well as, not instead of. I think I'm reading that right.

Edit - nope, I was confusing that reroll 1s ability of the arch rev, and for some reason thought it was a command ability. Alarielle's ability doesn't have range. What is envoys for? 🤔 I guess the TLA's reroll saves of 1 thing. 

Edited by feltmonkey

I'm optimistic about those big trees. They look quite majestic. And way easier to fit places. Probably still super annoying to travel with but maybe at least better to play with

The new revenants seem a little less finicky but functionally unchanged. Less reliant on the trees though. It doesn't seem like they really opened up options for a 2nd battleline unit besides dryads though, unless the points plumet (which they shouldn't with that mobility), so I expect them to be  1-2 unit wonders unless there is some awesome battalion or something

• Like 1