AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Heksagon said:

I'm losing my mind right now.
SylvanethSpells-May2-Gladewyrm6jje.jpg

" While the necroquake has brought much death and misery to the Mortal Realms, it has also awoken ancient creatures and guardians akin to the spites to fight alongside the Sylvaneth once more. Gladewyrms, ancient protectors of the Realmroots, now fight alongside the Sylvaneth, called to battle like endless spells by those versed in the magic of life. "

Realmroots... hm... This may be a hint for our new Scenery.

I really like this long bitey friend.

• Like 1

The community site seems to say Looncurse is out "this weekend." Is that right? This Saturday? It doesn't seem to be available for pre-order anywhere. 

I'm not sure about that Gladeworm model - an big armoured worm that comes out the ground? It looks a bit derivative. It looks like a Tyranid or a D&D purple worm. 

Regarding the Wyldwoods, I'm conflicted about their imminent disappearance. They are  simultaneously fundamental to the way the army plays and the worst thing about playing the army. They are a pain in the bum to transport, to use on the table, and become too much of a focus when you're playing Sylvaneth. The most important tactical decisions you make tend to be about trying to squeeze woods in to gaps, or models between the gaps between the trees. They are a fundamental mechanic for our army, but it's a struggle getting your treelords through them. You sometimes get into a stalemate with your opponent when they don't want to move their army close to the woods and you don't want to move yours out of them. They can rend the shooting phase irrelevant. They look cool when you plonk them down, but then you have take the trees off for practical reasons and that is immediately lost as they become brown or green patches of floor. 

I think the primary reason GW might be planning radical changes to the woods, either the models or the way they work, is because they can potentially make for a terrible playing experience for our opponents, especially if they are new players. This isn't something that had occurred to me - all my opponents seem to have a decent time and go away basking in the glory of victory, but I've heard it brought up on a couple of YouTube videos recently, notably Vince Venturella's Warhammer Weekly (I think.) Large areas of the board becoming no go areas, gotcha moments if they try to cast spells too close, ridiculous string of monkeys chains to exploit the benefits of the woods while miles away from the woods themselves, ranged units having nothing to do, and an enemy that keeps disappearing from where you expected it to be and popping up somewhere else. There's a lot of stuff that in the wrong hands could be used in quite an annoying fashion. Like I say, I've not come across these complaints myself, mainly because I am incapable of using these tricks effectively, but it has been brought up by some pretty prominent voices so I'm sure it is something that GW would definitely have in mind when looking at the faction. I suspect that for all our enthusiasm, this redesign is more geared towards making life easier for our opponents rather than for us. Hopefully we'll still be strong, but perhaps less of a ballache to play as or against. 

Personally, I'm very annoyed to have wasted money on five wyldwoods, one of which I haven't even built yet (bought it the day before the looncurse teaser trailer came out) and one which has been used once. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this sort of thing and no room for a gaming table in my house, so they will probably be chucked in the loft or something. £90 wasted. I won't miss trying to transport the things though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like @feltmonkey explained about Wyldwoods they're a massive ball ache in a lot regards. Have the terrain discussion at events every single game, they're hugely annoying too transport, they're so limiting to the army because the whole army is tied to them. I know a lot of people who will be glad to see them go, Sylvaneth players included. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'd like to say the same but I still haven't settled on a color scheme!

I am in the process of finding a scheme as well. I think I will settle with a drak brown and some beige as main color with the branches turning to light green. Basically like it is in the video from Warhammer TV for painting the revenants. Weapons glow is blueish purple and some leafes will be red to add some contrast. 

Edited by Xil

I had touched my sylvaneth to a more snowy winter-spring time. I added too something I dont know the name in English, that green plastic thing that imitates plants for christmas :)

dryads2.jpg

dryads.jpg

Btw. I was reading 100 times the comunity article and I was thinking why they direct us to Drycha instead of the Start Collecting as toher times they did on similar posts. I dont own Drycha, and I think by now I didn't need it (I love the model but never included on my army), so I wanna know if maybe drycha has a summon ability now to bring spite rev or tree rev. Personally I don't like spite stats, I never used and I dont think I will, but I absolutely love tree rev. Hope to see a nice rework of our army. Cant wait!!

Edited by Hoseman
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Something just came to my mind... 

As Nurgle is our counterpart I thought it may isn't to far fetched if we get a similar mechanic. Call it 'circle of life' and release a new kit of single trees that are placed like the rotten trees of Nurgle. Trees could have an aura of buffs and such. 

30 minutes ago, Austin said:

It would be pretty cool if the wardroth beetle was separated from Alarielle and could be taken as another behemoth. 

List wise, yes.

But is the miniature ready for this (pseudo) kitbash? And what does such an entry bring in the army that the tree doesn't? 

21 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

List wise, yes.

But is the miniature ready for this (pseudo) kitbash? And what does such an entry bring in the army that the tree doesn't? 

I leave those questions to the professionals. 

31 minutes ago, Austin said:

I leave those questions to the professionals. 

I just built her, and the beetle is separated from The queen currently for painting. All you nee to do is put a little green stuff inside the hole where allariel is supposed to be glued on and build a base where her elevated foot can stand on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Regarding the Wyldwoods, I'm conflicted about their imminent disappearance...

Personally, I'm very annoyed to have wasted money on five wyldwoods... I won't miss trying to transport the things though. 

10 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

I know a lot of people who will be glad to see them go...

I'm just curious, why are you guys convinced that wyldwoods suddenly are not a thing anymore?  Is there any source that's said they are going?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tiktaq said:

Wanted clarification on a ruling for spirit of durthu. Can you chose to use durthu's "solemn guardian" ability or is it mandatory?

There is nothing that says it's optional.  If it was optional to protect, I don't think they could call him a "solemn guardian" anymore.  "Sworn protector" is in the second sentence as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zanzou said:

I'm just curious, why are you guys convinced that wyldwoods suddenly are not a thing anymore?  Is there any source that's said they are going?

There is no official source but I spoke to a lot of people at the South Coast GT last weekend who know people in the know / playtesters and I had 4 seperate people tell me they're 100% gone. On the Sylvaneth whatsapp chat it's been said twice now store owners have received the books early and all but confirmed it with them saying the army "fundamentally changes"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Not an official source. Several people ‘know a guy’. Lots of the evidence seems consistent and credible. 

Edited by Trevelyan
Ninja’d
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Heheh I'm just going on what everyone else is saying in the thread, to be honest.  My post should probably have been prefaced with the words, "if the rumours are true."  😄

I didn't mean to make it look as if I have any kind of insider information or cast-iron facts about the future of the faction.  Apologies if it came across that way.

That would be kind of atrocious to me.  They tell us we basically have to buy a ****ton of this terrain to be viable and then would delete the terrain completely 2 years later? Even as a big Sylvaneth fan, justifying buying new terrain for them if they're throwing out my previous investments into them is a major turn off and with that big slap in the face don't know if I'll bother with the new rules... As long as they continue to make the old wyldwoods an acceptable option in play then I won't complain.

Edited by Zanzou