AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

A couple of quick sylvaneth questions please chaps.

In the gnarlroot wargrove I am assuming the order wizard would also be hurt from the wyldwoods when roused etc? But he can still cast 2 spells?

And does the treelords groundshaking stomp stack with multiple treelords?

Many thanks in advance 

Another question: Do people use the replenishing of models from the Gnarlroot spell with multiple leaders to sustain a Kurnoth-heavy army? It’s obviously written to try to encourage you to use it on Tree Revs or Dryads, but we’d be getting a lot more bang for buck on the much higher cost per model Kurnoths...

6 hours ago, Bobbin484 said:

A couple of quick sylvaneth questions please chaps.

In the gnarlroot wargrove I am assuming the order wizard would also be hurt from the wyldwoods when roused etc? But he can still cast 2 spells?

And does the treelords groundshaking stomp stack with multiple treelords?

Many thanks in advance 

Writing from my phone, so the short answers:

Yes, the ORDER wizard (e.g. a Loremaster) will be damaged by roused Wyldwoods - remember though they can rouse them from a "safe" distance (>1 to 6 inches).

Only Wyches, Wraiths and Treelords get an additional cast in Gnarlroot (other wizards, including Alarielle, not).

The stomp does not stack - you roll a single die for each enemy unit within 3" of any model with stomp (check the Sylvaneth FAQ/Designer's commentary).

Hope I could help.

53 minutes ago, Draakur said:

Another question: Do people use the replenishing of models from the Gnarlroot spell with multiple leaders to sustain a Kurnoth-heavy army? It’s obviously written to try to encourage you to use it on Tree Revs or Dryads, but we’d be getting a lot more bang for buck on the much higher cost per model Kurnoths...

I do not know whether this ist relevant for you, but: In matched play, each spell can only be attempted to cast once per hero phase.

1 hour ago, Isotop said:

I do not know whether this ist relevant for you, but: In matched play, each spell can only be attempted to cast once per hero phase.

That actually is relevant to me yes, still new to the game and uncovering these things. So multiple different casters can’t all cast the same spell in the same turn then, do I have that right?

6 hours ago, Isotop said:

Writing from my phone, so the short answers:

Yes, the ORDER wizard (e.g. a Loremaster) will be damaged by roused Wyldwoods - remember though they can rouse them from a "safe" distance (>1 to 6 inches).

Only Wyches, Wraiths and Treelords get an additional cast in Gnarlroot (other wizards, including Alarielle, not).

The stomp does not stack - you roll a single die for each enemy unit within 3" of any model with stomp (check the Sylvaneth FAQ/Designer's commentary).

Hope I could help.

Perfect, thank you.

I had thought those were the answers but I wanted to make 100% sure.

As you just talked about our woods and the room on tables, I had a question come to my mind. 

When placing a wyldwood it has to keep distance to other terrain and also needs to be within one inch of itself (when placing 2 to 3 bases). Does this mean when I place a wood of 3 bases that each must be within one inch to both others or can I draw a line? 

Edited by Xil

1 hour ago, Xil said:

As you just talked about our woods and the room on tables, I had a question come to my mind. 

When placing a wyldwood it has to keep distance to other terrain and also needs to be within one inch of itself (when placing 2 to 3 bases). Does this mean when I place a wood of 3 bases that each must be within one inch to both others or can I draw a line? 

Each base has to be within an inch of each other base. No lines of three, although two can be deployed like that.

3 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

I am now eagerly awaiting our new tree-revenant unit, possibly as a cheap (both points and money) way of filling battalion requirements. 

Also hoping the warband is hero + three models, just so we can have a bit more variety in our hero options.

Very much doubt they will be Battleline.

36 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Very much doubt they will be Battleline.

Not battleline, but they should have the tree-revenant keyword, making them eligible for use in Household. Their usefulness will vary depending on their points cost and their actual warscroll abilities. 

16 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

New Tree-Rev unit? Did I miss some rumor? Or do you mean the Underworlds warband?

Yup, I meant the Underworlds warband. All signs point to their warscroll having the tree-revenant keyword, meaning they will fill battalion requirements.

15 hours ago, Wickie De Viking said:

I am ready! Bring them on! I'm not sure about the Green plastic though... I dont really like colored plastic models

I used to agree with you - My Kill Team Skitarii looked awful in red.....  but, once I had sprayed then I changed my mind. I almost always use Mechanicus Standard Grey as my primer because it's a good compromise - not too dark, not too light and applies well. With grey plastic, it can be really tricky to see if you've missed a spot. With coloured plastic, it's really obvious.

Hi everybody,

i usually play Gnarloot Wargroveand i want to try Dreadwood...i read the rules but i want to know how to play this wargrove that is so different from the gnarloot. What are the tactics i have to use to play well, the position at the beginning, etc...?

Thank you!!

Hey guys, I'm going to be playing in a small tournament next weekend and I'm looking for some advice. My opponents are likely to be: FEC, Stormcast, Skaven (stormfiend heavy list), Khorne and LoN. Normally I'd play a Harvestboon list and launch Durthu at any major threats (cogs+warsinger+harvestboon for +4 charge and equip him with ghyrstrike), however the FEC and Khorne (mostly FEC) make me nervous about getting too close and I'm wondering if I'd be better off switching to Gnarlroot for more ranged power?

The FEC is a Gristlegore list so his general will fight first, so unless I take Doppelganger cloak and hope that I get lucky I can't see it working out. The Khorne is bloodthirster heavy so with the exception of LoN all of my opponents will be fielding quite elite units so I think I'd do best to prepare for that, any tips? For anti horde I know that there are a few options (Drycha, Alarielle's Metamorphorsis, dwellers below & branchwych bomb) but I struggle for anti elite except for scythe equipped Kurnoth.

I have most models barring Drycha and the base Treelord so could play Dreadwood, Harvestboon, Winterleaf (no phoenix) or Gnarlroot quite comfortably. I've put a few of my lists on the imgur below with the list that I'm favouring being the Gnarlroot with an Umbral spellportal. What would you guys take? 

I don't yet know the battleplans or realms so can't give any info on those sorry.

Sample lists: 

https://imgur.com/a/QsKvxV9

12 hours ago, Milo said:

Hi everybody,

i usually play Gnarloot Wargroveand i want to try Dreadwood...i read the rules but i want to know how to play this wargrove that is so different from the gnarloot. What are the tactics i have to use to play well, the position at the beginning, etc...?

Thank you!!

Hey Milo, I'd recommend you'd listen to the following Podcast. It covers Sylvaneth in some depth so I'd listen to the whole thing as it's gold but if you just want to skip to where they discuss Dreadwood, go to about 1 hour, 11 minutes in. It's principally an alpha strike list but can be played defensively also.

https://soundcloud.com/user-583885206/episode-17-bonus-episode-aos-coach-faction-focus-sylvaneth

• Thanks 1

Warband warscroll is up! Ylthari's Guardians

I like the fact that we have a cheap option to get a wizard out with filling battalion requirements at the same time, even if they aren't optimal. Definitely using them in smaller games as a fluffy counterpunch unit.

Possibly a peek into our upgraded rules as well, Ylthari has The Reaping with different rules than our spell lore version, and the guardians have Martial Memories for first strike (not rerolling a dice each phase) and they lost their teleporting (no musician in this unit though). And I'm very hopeful for a generic Thornwych model alongside archer revenants, maybe in the rumored trees versus squigs box.

What do you all think?