AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

34 minutes ago, KasperBN said:

Just out of curiousity, since I play the Branchwych bomb in my list, can you use Navigate Realmroots while standing on a Balewind Vortex?

And if we Rouse to Wrath, can they dryads move / charge / Navigate Realm roots ? (which if any)

My best guess would be no to realmrooting on a balewind. Can't move and instead of moving don't mesh well in my mind. 

As for Roused to Wrath, the summoned dryads can't move in the following movement phase, which rules out movement, precludes teleporting for the same reasons as above, but they can charge. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2019 at 7:37 PM, Aezeal said:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwych (80)
- General
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Loremaster (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

Or 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
Branchwych (80)
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 98

Or

Allegiance: Order
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
Branchwych (80)
Loremaster (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 88

For an all comers small tournament?

I like the first list. It's similar to what i've been running and I have had great success so far. Drycha with flitterfuries + branchwych bomb is great for mortal wound spreading, then I pick off the models which took the most damage with Alarielle. This is what i've been rocking:

Alarielle the Everqueen (600) Throne of Vines

Drycha Hamadreth (280) Verdant Blessing, Flitterfuries

Branchwraith (80) General, Warsinger, Acorn of the Ages, Regrowth

Branchwych (80) Silverwood Circlet, The Reaping

20 x Dryads (200)

10 x Dryads (100)

10 x Dryads (100)

6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)

Forest Folk (140)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

4 hours ago, Nqshou said:

Could someone please explain what is the Branchwych bomb tactic?

Branchwych' spell allows her to deal MW in area.

The reaping is a spell that deals MW in area. 

Branchwych gets silverwood circlet for +6" to spell ranges. Vortex adds 6" to spell ranges. 

That allows you to deal MW to all enemy units within 12"+3" (the reaping) or +9" (branchwych signature spell). Combined with wyldwoods' roused to magic rule it can be pretty interesting to dropping the branchwych in the middle of the enemy to have a "bomb" effect. 

And in the list above, you benefit from the umbral spellportal too, in which case I guess you measure the range from the spellportal, I guess? 

Edited by Alezya
  • Like 1

The other nuanace is that you can position the vortex in front of yourself and then the spell is measured from that base, which is much larger.  This gets you maybe 6 more inches forward and let's you sometimes hit their front line on turn 1 plus makes it quite annoying for them to advance into you. Works especially well with the 2 casts in gnarlroot either for throne of vines for some nasty dispels or with the reaping as shown posted

• Like 1

As we are discussion the vortex: Does anyone of you got an idea on how to kitbash/convert/diy a vortex for sylvaneth? I find it odd to say the least for a Sylvaneth to summon a vortex out of a stone platform with skulls and throne upon a choas symbol and a skull. Quite the opposite of what sylvaneth stands for. 

Maybe bend some twigs and glue them to a base, with wyldwood leafs on top and a green glow on the bottom of the base or all around the twigs?

5 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

As we are discussion the vortex: Does anyone of you got an idea on how to kitbash/convert/diy a vortex for sylvaneth? I find it odd to say the least for a Sylvaneth to summon a vortex out of a stone platform with skulls and throne upon a choas symbol and a skull. Quite the opposite of what sylvaneth stands for. 

Maybe bend some twigs and glue them to a base, with wyldwood leafs on top and a green glow on the bottom of the base or all around the twigs?

I keep meaning to go buy a vortex, and you've made me reconsider.

Some (two?) of the wyldwood tress have a distinct horizontal section on the main trunk, before it bends upwards again. I suspect you could take one and add the trunks from other trees so that you get a chalice/goblet like shape. So one central trunk (or maybe multiple that joint up) that splits multiple ways horizontally before each bending upwards again. Wizard sits inside, with the branches growing up around her.  Maybe put small platform inside the goblet to stand on, or cut out some notches so that nicely balances a 32mm base (because I hope you'd never need bigger than that....).

Google search tells me the vortex is 13,3cm tall (and a base of about 10cm). I suspect in the above the wizard would sit a lot lower than that. Which might be an issue.

Alternatively, the wizard sits higher in the branches of a single wyldwood tree. Might be able to use the leaves as a platform there. And probably an easier thing to make, with fewer trees required.

Also, the wyldwood trees are a little rubbish and annoyingly thick to cut through. I do have loads of them sat around unused.

22 hours ago, Frowny said:

The other nuanace is that you can position the vortex in front of yourself and then the spell is measured from that base, which is much larger.  This gets you maybe 6 more inches forward and let's you sometimes hit their front line on turn 1 plus makes it quite annoying for them to advance into you. Works especially well with the 2 casts in gnarlroot either for throne of vines for some nasty dispels or with the reaping as shown posted

You get a 2nd cast when you are on the balewind so gnarlroot isn't needed. Also: umbral spellportal only works once per phase so you can't use it for both AoE spells anyway (which is why i've put it into the non gnarlroot list. 

I actually ended up playing non of those lists since I DID want a 2nd item so I added a forest folk batallion and dropped the loremaster. Not sure that is worth it btw.

Edited by Aezeal

3 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

You get a 2nd cast when you are on the balewind so gnarlroot isn't needed. Also: umbral spellportal only works once per phase so you can't use it for both AoE spells anyway (which is why i've put it into the non gnarlroot list. 

I actually ended up playing non of those lists since I DID want a 2nd item so I added a forest folk batallion and dropped the loremaster. Not sure forest folk OR Wych+ umbral + balewind are worth it btw. I was playing shooty stormcast and 2nd turn when half his army dropped he killed the wych. Most armies seem to be able to kill a 5 wound mage rather easily if they want.. and after one casting of The Reaping.. they'll want him dead (did 10 MW :D).

I've been thinking about using a sylvaneth wildwood tree and then trying to turn the top part into a more nest-like thing. 

I think one of the easiest ways to protect it is just to hide it behind a wood. One of the biggest strengths of this army is deployable line of sight blockers. Its been a while since I've had one of my casters sniped without my making a stupid play. 

Edited by Frowny

On 4/9/2019 at 7:53 AM, Ruhraffe said:

I'm planning on converting a Treelord holding a stone platform with both hands, which the Branchwych can stand on.

1 hour ago, Mike Burgess said:

I'm planning on converting a Treelord holding a stone platform with both hands, which the Branchwych can stand on.

When I got home last night and looked at my army, I had exactly the same idea. Either a Treelord or Drycha. But without the platform. I think with a little modding you could get space for a 32mm base into the single large claw of Drycha/Treelord. Pop a magnet in there too for safety. Plus the model base is the right width (100mm) and they are about the same height (13cm). With some cleverness maybe even end up with something that is still usable as the original model too.

But, I can't see myself doing this, unless I somehow end up with another SC box.

I bluetackked some wyldwood tree bits last night too (I've got lots of partial trunks where I've cut up and modded trees for the woods). Might have a way forward with it. Not sure yet. 

4 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

When I got home last night and looked at my army, I had exactly the same idea. Either a Treelord or Drycha. But without the platform. I think with a little modding you could get space for a 32mm base into the single large claw of Drycha/Treelord. Pop a magnet in there too for safety. Plus the model base is the right width (100mm) and they are about the same height (13cm). With some cleverness maybe even end up with something that is still usable as the original model too.

But, I can't see myself doing this, unless I somehow end up with another SC box.

I bluetackked some wyldwood tree bits last night too (I've got lots of partial trunks where I've cut up and modded trees for the woods). Might have a way forward with it. Not sure yet. 

Exactly the plan... The Treelord could still be used as a Treelord. The platform would be removable.

Does anyone else have really trouble setting up tables that aren't biased towards you but still allow some room for woods?

I really do try to set up tables that are fair, I always try to put terrain in the middle of the table and scatter terrain around so I can't just put my woods where ever I want. Below is a example, thoughts? Do I need more terrain, do I need less, should it be placed in different places etc?

57101523_2503757432990923_6489333037476610048_n.jpg

Most of my matches have about the same or slightly more in volume (generally not more... but bulkier). Hard to place woods.

BTW the list I posted before with the wych, balewind and portals... I'm dropping it. Way to hard to pull it off. The castings aren't that bad.. but the unbinds @ 30 inch are killing me. And if not that the squishyness of the wych. 

Against the stormcast shooting list the wych was dead when he noticed the problem

Today against Khorne I get unbound and endless spells get removed left and right. I'm not going to pour that many points in such a vulnerable idea next time. I also ran forestfolk, mostly for the item.. but also because teleporting sounds nice.. but I park my dryads on objectives.. in the game I generally just don't want to remove all of those  and loose the objectives (and if I'm correct you have to remove the whole batallion so leaving the one unit that is defending the objective against 30 bloodletters isn't an option.

@AaronWIlson That looks really sparse compared to my usual tables. We have a similar amount of scenery, but it's bulky, and we tend to run more scatter terrain as well. I can usually place 2-3 wood bases in a game, usually single, occasionally a double. I'll hit up a friend for a picture or our game last week and edit the post with it later.

This is a sparse table in these parts:

received_337513820453934.jpeg.6ab85d29853b48fb9ab195ed03ac12e5.jpeg

Edited by Kaylethia
Added a picture