AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah hope they don't do that to hardly.. stopping conga is one thing.. but making the dryad bonus "wholly within the wyldwood" would break us. (I'm hoping for wholly withing 6".. but 3"probably more likely)

Don’t think will be wholly within 3 like u said mayb 6 well hopefully . And battalions will probably change 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, jake3991 said:

On a separate note I'm a bit shocked that Sylveneth have been picked for a new book, the current one has aged quite well, will definitely be interested to see how the play style evolves. 

Me too. Nothing in the current book really seems outdated to me besides the reliance on Citadel Woods. I'm excited though, I really hope we get some new terrain to replace them. I know people will complain if that happens but the current woods are kinda clunky to play with and need an update.

Edited by Justinbot

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwych (80)
- General
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Loremaster (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

Or 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
Branchwych (80)
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 98

Or

Allegiance: Order
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
Branchwych (80)
Loremaster (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 88

For an all comers small tournament?

What do people think will be in the "damp wood" (Sylvaneth Vs Gitz)  box? 

I'm going with: 3 kurnoth + Drycha + 5 Revenants + small wizard.

The small wizard is either a plastic Branchwraith with or a brand new model.

Really not sure what else they could do without repeating stuff in the start collecting box. Little hesitant because I'm not sure if GW would put a named character in a boxset.

Maybe a Wanderers unit if they decide to merge them in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Really not sure what else they could do without repeating stuff in the start collecting box. Little hesitant because I'm not sure if GW would put a named character in a boxset.

Well, Horticulous Slimux was in a boxed set, so seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, a74xhx said:

Hmm I'm not even sure I'd buy that. A box with 10 revenants would be nice.

11 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Hmm I'm not even sure I'd buy that. A box with 10 revenants would be nice.

GW hasn't really had a track record of including more than 1 "box" of a unit in these smaller vs sets (as compared to say the edition starter sets)

edit: oh wait I forgot carrion empire had 6 crypt horrors/flayers. Then again FEC suffers from they dont really have that many kits in the first place.

Edited by kenshin620

6 hours ago, Justinbot said:

Me too. Nothing in the current book really seems outdated to me besides the reliance on Citadel Woods. I'm excited though, I really hope we get some new terrain to replace them. I know people will complain if that happens but the current woods are kinda clunky to play with and need an update.

Yeah if the woods change they are gonna need some other revamps for sure, as I find that not only are our units pointed to include the woods but they are central to any strategy.  But given the track record of great battle tombs that have come out recently I think we should get something reasonable to work with.  I just finished painting so it would be a bummer to see a big fat nerf!

I would be happy with an adjustment to our army that made the need to alpha bunker less important overall, but the super battalions being turned into a Stormhost-like ability seems likely, and I expect we will lose that power to usually pick the starting turn order. We know that GW doesn’t like turn manipulation from their gutting of the Fyreslayer battalion and the accessible one drop army option is currently pretty much only a Sylvaneth and KO thing. So I’ve come to accept that it will likely not last too much longer but I hope that in return we get something to compensate.

Hey folks, question: is it me or does nobody seem to use generic Treelords at all? I’m brand new and I love the models and concept, but seems they’re just not competitive?? Would love a viable justification for using something like the Lords of the Clan battalion...

+edit+

Additional question! Has anyone got any experience with big bravery debuffing strats at all? Is that actually the aim of using Dreadwood, or is that really more about the alpha? Considering my options here in terms of artefacts and how to leverage the bravery mechanic and battleshock (and if it’s even worth aiming for that in the first place...)

Edited by Draakur
Another Q

38 minutes ago, Draakur said:

Hey folks, question: is it me or does nobody seem to use generic Treelords at all? I’m brand new and I love the models and concept, but seems they’re just not competitive?? Would love a viable justification for using something like the Lords of the Clan battalion...

Keep in mind any advice given today may become obsolete in like 3 months. Granted I suppose that is a long time depending on how heavy one games in that time period.

1 minute ago, kenshin620 said:

Keep in mind any advice given today may become obsolete in like 3 months. Granted I suppose that is a long time depending on how heavy one games in that time period.

Yes very true, I’m expecting a new BT or atleast changes in the GHB. Although just re: the new Tome, did they say “a new Tome for each Grand Alliance” at AdeptiCon, or “ATLEAST one new Tome for each Grand Alliance”?? Because if it’s just one each, we got Fyreslayers straight away... that’d mean no new Tome for us this year technically 😕

Just now, Draakur said:

Yes very true, I’m expecting a new BT or atleast changes in the GHB. Although just re: the new Tome, did they say “a new Tome for each Grand Alliance” at AdeptiCon, or “ATLEAST one new Tome for each Grand Alliance”?? Because if it’s just one each, we got Fyreslayers straight away... that’d mean no new Tome for us this year technically 😕

Theres the upcoming Sylavneth (speculation, but also seems super obvious) vs Gloomspite Gitz box. Given how Realm and Chaos and Carrion Empire resulted in new books, it seems very likely Sylvaneth will come out close to or on the same date as that VS box. I think given how they teased it, it would be within 6 months at the latest since GW doesn't seem to blatantly advertise things that are really far away (except Sisters of Battle) or the Herald armies (and malign portents was a weird thing)

Also this year has like...4 Chaos Tomes anyways! 😜 (khorne, skaven, slaanesh, and assuming Everchosen+Slaves To Darkness comes out this year)

10 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Theres the upcoming Sylavneth (speculation, but also seems super obvious) vs Gloomspite Gitz box. Given how Realm and Chaos and Carrion Empire resulted in new books, it seems very likely Sylvaneth will come out close to or on the same date as that VS box. I think given how they teased it, it would be within 6 months at the latest since GW doesn't seem to blatantly advertise things that are really far away (except Sisters of Battle) or the Herald armies (and malign portents was a weird thing)

Also this year has like...4 Chaos Tomes anyways! 😜 (khorne, skaven, slaanesh, and assuming Everchosen+Slaves To Darkness comes out this year)

Ok understood, that timeline is heartening then atleast 🙂 Looking forward to that! 

What do we lack exactly in Sylvaneth do you think? Does there appear to be a pretty sensible way to progress the army, when it comes to unit additions or general rules/tactical options?

(Keep in mind I dont play sylvaneth but I always like talking about all the factions in this game!)

It's likely there will be a lot more streamlining. Buffs (with few exceptions) becoming wholly within, more internal balance (hopefully), the Forest becoming a "nice to have free buff" rather than a game altering part of the army (under the assumption Woods become exactly like how 2.0 faction terrain are), I imagine wargroves are also altered, maybe even change Wargroves to being "Stormhosts"

But then again skaven has their dumb Skryre Enginecovens which are wacky and only count as one battalion despite the points you need to sink in, so who knows how they'll handle wargroves vs normal battalions.

Yep ok. I’ve heard a few people say similar things too in the Rumour thread. 

These changes would really alter how Sylvaneth play from what I understand? Woods seem absolutely central to how we play right now, any changes to their significance would be pretty impactful (not necessarily good or bad, but different certainly). And the one-drop reliance or focus changing would change our approach a fair bit too I would think?

I have to admit, i hope they will change the wood system.  Sylvaneth are my firat and real love in this game, but in the last time i stopped using them and start playng just my other army becouse i don't like anymore the "wood strategy". I mean, it's strong and all but it start to be too much tricky to play around it as  amain strategy. To a tournament i went the tables were almost full and i do not have the space to drop more then 2 woods. And then that rules of the trees in the wood... Just making too tricky... I hope they will make it a "2.0 terrain" like for the newest army.

Also, making tree revenants and spite revenants usefull would be good, for now they are like "i take them if i need them for battalion" and stop

16 hours ago, Draakur said:

Ok understood, that timeline is heartening then atleast 🙂 Looking forward to that! 

What do we lack exactly in Sylvaneth do you think? Does there appear to be a pretty sensible way to progress the army, when it comes to unit additions or general rules/tactical options?

Does someone else, except me , thinking than maybe "forest vs mushroom" could be wood elves vs grot ? they used Carrion Empire for update two old armies?

I wish that the new piece of terrain could be something related to the "souls pods" 

On 4/1/2019 at 12:21 PM, Zaffersimo said:

Does someone else, except me , thinking than maybe "forest vs mushroom" could be wood elves vs grot ? they used Carrion Empire for update two old armies?

To be fair Carrion Empire updated 2 "already AoS battletome" armies. FEC already had a battletome, and so does skaven (to a weird extent with skaven pestilens)

Plus these VS boxes are a method of showcasing 1-2 new models per faction, I cannot really see wanderers ever getting new models.

Just out of curiousity, since I play the Branchwych bomb in my list, can you use Navigate Realmroots while standing on a Balewind Vortex?

And if we Rouse to Wrath, can they dryads move / charge / Navigate Realm roots ? (which if any)

Edited by KasperBN