AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

For flying units, only ending their run or charge on a wyldood counts. 

I'm afraid it's not true. Not anymore. Wording on the Flying rule is a bit different in AoS 2.0:

FLY ING: If the warscroll for a model says that the model can fly, it can pass across models and terrain features as if they were not there when it makes any type of move. Any vertical distance up and/or down is ignored when measuring a flying model’s move. It cannot finish the move on top of another model.

"when it makes any  type of move".

15 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

As we are already at the wyldwood rules: If I put up the wyldwood as a triangle

/\
/  \
====

there is a space in the middle. Does this count as wyldwood as well or is it a glade, where the wyldwood rules do not apply?

Only the Citadel Wood bases count as Wyldwoods.

35 minutes ago, Ruhraffe said:

As we are already at the wyldwood rules: If I put up the wyldwood as a triangle

/\
/  \
====

there is a space in the middle. Does this count as wyldwood as well or is it a glade, where the wyldwood rules do not apply?

No. The gap left by the 3 wyldwoods is not considered as a wyldwood. Not even a terrain. 

Basically:

-a flying unit (let's say it is a pegasus knight unit consisting of 3 knights) can fly over the wyldwoods: The Pegasus knights can pass (with a run move) from one edge of the wyldwood base to the other edge of the wyldwood without their base even touching the wyldwood base, making them not triggering the effect: They are flying so they are not affected.

If their move (only when they are running) is not sufficient enough to not even touch the base, then the models finishing their run move on the wyldwood base must roll a dice. It can be only 1 model in the unit of 3 for example ( the 2 others being "safe" as their base is not even touching). The condition is running and finishing its move on the woods (for a flying unit).

On 2/15/2019 at 11:23 PM, Aezeal said:

5. Is the lore master still a thing (140 points is kinda steep but.. he'd fit nicely with Alarielle, TLA and a summoned TL.  How to get the points is another thing.. you'd have to drop 10 dryads.. and the pallisade.. and still you';d be short.

Anyone having an opinion on this?

Generally speaking: Loremaster is still a solid and viable choice. 

But I would consider him only if you play Alarielle and Durthu (either one of them, or preferably both). Can fit in a Gnarlroot or in a Winterleaf. 

And it is not so hard to make place for him in a list, actually. 

In the list you quote, I don't believe he would fit in, honestly... I don"t think he is an interesting choice in this list: The TLA hits hard, but not that hard enough.

Alarielle could benefit from him though. But you already have enough hard hitters (Alarielle, TLA and 3 kurnoths hunters in the list only, and possibly 3 kurnoths hunters more with Alarielle) that do the job quite reliably. I don't see the point of having a loremaster on this list.

BUT, if you consider dropping the Kurnoth hunters and the palisade, it frees you 230 pts, and there you can put a loremaster and 10 more dryads on one of the already existing unit. 

10 dryads are not tanky and interesting enough. 

Edited by Alezya

3 hours ago, Alezya said:

Generally speaking: Loremaster is still a solid and viable choice. 

But I would consider him only if you play Alarielle and Durthu (either one of them, or preferably both). Can fit in a Gnarlroot or in a Winterleaf. 

And it is not so hard to make place for him in a list, actually. 

In the list you quote, I don't believe he would fit in, honestly... I don"t think he is an interesting choice in this list: The TLA hits hard, but not that hard enough.

Alarielle could benefit from him though. But you already have enough hard hitters (Alarielle, TLA and 3 kurnoths hunters in the list only, and possibly 3 kurnoths hunters more with Alarielle) that do the job quite reliably. I don't see the point of having a loremaster on this list.

BUT, if you consider dropping the Kurnoth hunters and the palisade, it frees you 230 pts, and there you can put a loremaster and 10 more dryads on one of the already existing unit. 

10 dryads are not tanky and interesting enough. 

I think is also interesting use Archmage in any list...so you can have an extra save at 6 for wounds and also MORTAL wounds!

On 2/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, Milo said:

I think is also interesting use Archmage in any list...so you can have an extra save at 6 for wounds and also MORTAL wounds!

Survivability we have, damage output on the other hand isn't always enough. I see more value in the loremaster.

Hello everyone. New player here looking to get into Sylvaneth. I have a starting tournament coming up in about a month and wanted to get some feedback on my first pass of a list. The points are 1250 (using the Battleline requirements for 1000):

Treelord Ancient w/ Regrowth, Oaken Armor, and Warsinger General Trait

Branchwych  w/ The Reaping and Silverwood Circlet

2x Branchwraith 1 has Throne of Vines, the other has Verdant Blessing and the Acorn of the Ages

5 Tree Revenants  Leader has glaive

20x Dryad

3x Kurnoth Hunters - With Greatswords

Household Battalion

Gnarlroot Wargrove

1250/1250 Points

I have 28 dryads on the side for summoning as well as 4 stands of Woods. 

My main question would be if the Battalions are worth it in this low point level - I heard getting the 1st turn is important, so having a single drop is good. But is it worth basically playing a 1000 point army? I could take them out, the wych, and one of the wraiths to put in a Spirit of Durthu.

Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, KasperBN said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on running a Branchwych bomb setup with that, instead of Cogs/Geminids etc?

Usually done with Balewind Vortex & the Portals. Could throw in that Sylvaneth item, from the Harvestboon battalion I think, to get extra range (wouldn't be Gnarlroot then, though, obviously ... ^^), but I think that's almost overkill.

13 minutes ago, KasperBN said:

was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with it

At CanCon, one of the top players ran that combination, but I don't know how well he did (Liam something, iirc). Wasn't in the top ten, that could have had any number of reasons, though.

Edited by Mutter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KasperBN said:

Exactly, the thought is Balewin + Umbra + Silverwood circlet, and run my standard Gnarlroot but use these endless spells instead of the more standard ones.

was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with it

Hmm I'd not thought of this yet... umbral silverwood and reaping does seem nice. 

Edited by Aezeal

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Battalions
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

Sadly that does leave an annoying number of points left over... what to do with 60 points? I guess

Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Loremaster (140)
30 x Dryads (270)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 98

This would be the loremaster list.

Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 88

Less dryads and some direct damage endless spells and hunters.

Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 98

No fancy spells or import.. but some hunters and 40 dryads again...

Which would be best...

On 2/23/2019 at 12:21 AM, Aezeal said:

Survivability we have, damage output on the other hand isn't always enough. I see more value in the loremaster.

If you want both, you can take Sisters of the Thorn! 

On 2/24/2019 at 1:46 AM, Aezeal said:

Which would be best...

Not a really big fan of playing multiple endless spells. 

I prefer the loremaster list. But you are not obliged to take Gnarlroot, you may take Winterleaf too, as the Loremaster is an Order unit. 

6 hours ago, Alezya said:

If you want both, you can take Sisters of the Thorn! 

Not a really big fan of playing multiple endless spells. 

I prefer the loremaster list. But you are not obliged to take Gnarlroot, you may take Winterleaf too, as the Loremaster is an Order unit. 

I'm not convinced the sisters are either....

I decided to mix 1 and 2 for this evening.. opponent due any minute

- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
Treelord Ancient (300)
Loremaster (140)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 88

10 points short of balewind so 'had' to go circle instead of acorn. But now I can at least try 9"  mirrored reaping and loremaster both.

I'm playing seraphon though so he'll always get a dispelled roll sadly.

Hello! I’m a tzeentch/FEC player who doesn’t have a clue about Sylvaneth past basic ideas of what units do and how woods work (just basic knowledge picked up from games) I was wondering the viability of a dryad horde list (I know something has a summoning spell, I think it uses drycha’s old model?) with of course using other top tier unit’s to support but a definite focus on dryads with at least 60 every 1000 point increment. My actual army is gonna be a hobby army using heavy green stuff and conversions to make a water nymph force (with mist covered water terrain acting as themed proxies of woods) any tactical info on the viability of dryads or even conversion ideas for a water based nymph list is welcome! I’m currently looking for a sea monster to use as my tree lord ☺️

5 hours ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

I was wondering the viability of a dryad horde list

Very viable. Add the casters (branchwhyches & brachwraiths, which are basically also almost dryads) and Durthu plus Alarielle (which would be awesome riding some Merwyrm, coming from the sea), and you have more or less a cookie-cutter tournament list.

Beware of the fact though, that there are rumours that a new battletome might be coming soon. And then, nobody knows what's viable and what isn't.

6 minutes ago, Mutter said:

Very viable. Add the casters (branchwhyches & brachwraiths, which are basically also almost dryads) and Durthu plus Alarielle (which would be awesome riding some Merwyrm, coming from the sea), and you have more or less a cookie-cutter tournament list.

Beware of the fact though, that there are rumours that a new battletome might be coming soon. And then, nobody knows what's viable and what isn't.

You are right! I think they want most of the order factions updated by the end of the year I forgot I remember correctly! I will be looking forward to this update then! Makes me wonder if I should hold off buying the book... but I also want to use my converted army ASAP when it’s done. Hopefully it’ll be here (with some cool endless spells!) soonish. Also thank you for the merwyrm idea! I’ve been been eyeing him but I don’t know if they are similar size! They certainly look like they are. And as for allarielle I was thinking of converting one of the idoneth characters as the rider! I’d also like to say that the water nymphs aren’t my only idea, I’m torn between them and an army of kobolds (gloomspite gobbo list hehe) with Tiamat(allied big dragon monster, thinking of magma but might use an incarnate if fires rules to fit in a 2000 point list) both will need a lot of greenstuff use which is what I’m practicing! Maybe I’ll make a blog on this site (I see a lot of beautiful painting blogs and I’m afraid I’m not much of a painter due to lack of motivation, but with modelling I have no such downside!)

tldr (I use these too often man I’m wordy!) merwyrm is a great idea! I also have a kobold army idea using gloomspite and a Tiamat conversion so I’m torn between them and water nymphs! I heard all of order will be updated by 2020. And maybe I’ll make a hobby blog!