AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 hours ago, Lanoss said:

How does everyone use the area between the wyldwood bases? Part of the terrain? Provide cover? Cause models to be slain?

or it’s just open terrain that doesn’t provide any benefits? 

The rules for the wyldwoods extend an inch out from the edges of the models, and they have to all be places within an inch of each other when set down, so effectively they offer the same bonuses. That said, if you left a gap in between that would basically allow a small avenue of line-of-sight, since line-of-sight is prevented only by woods more than an inch deep. You'd end up with a 3" LoS window if you set them up as far as you could away from each other.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lanoss said:

It does say it’s a terrain feature that cosists of up to 3 citadel woods

Therefore inferred as a single terrain feature??

yes if you place them as one it's one terrain feature.. and no teleporting between the bases of that terrain feature.

Attended the 1 day'er Realm of Rad yesterday (22 players) with my friend Scott Sproul (who won Best Painted!). It was hosted by Edmond Unplugged, a brilliant FLGS in Edmond, Oklahoma (serving pizza, beer, etc.), and organized by Ben Cornelius of the Lords of the Realms podcast. Thanks so much to them for a fun event!

Similar to Siegeworld last Aug, I just wanted to attend with a learning, experimental mindset, in particular to learn more about: 

• How well can Sylvaneth compete without a one drop and with 20 Dryads (+ no Dryad summoning)
  • Alarielle and how to play her (6 games in after getting her a couple months ago)
  • Celestant-Prime's potential value in a Sylvaneth list
  • Kurnoth Bows' present value and in-game realities of playing them with 6+ Citadel Wood bases reducing LoS 
  • Whether Drycha is worth it, e.g., whether Flitterfuries can provide enough value (or to do Squirmlings), especially with Wyldwoods blocking LoS
  • How to deploy Sylvaneth non-one-drop in certain matchups 
  • How to build a competitive non-one-drop list, with low model count, capable of going 4-1

Played Khorne Council of Blood, Ironjawz Gorefist, and Nighthaunt with a lot of bodies and mix of units. We didn't use realm rules, except below in ().

My list (at the event, each caster could take a spell from your battletome, or instead, a spell from your realm of choice, but not both):

• Alarielle w/ Regrowth
  • Drycha w/ Spellshroud 
  • Branchwraith w/ Acorn + Verdant
  • Celestant-Prime
  • 10 Dryads
  • 10 Dryads
  • 5 Spites
  • 3 Kurnoth Bows
  • 3 Kurnoth Swords
  • Prismatic Palisade

Game 1, Khorne, Scorched Earth: 

This one went well. His Bloodthirsters were on his middle and left side, without a lot of support for his middle and right side objectives beyond Flesh Hounds. He should've given me first turn, though, for a chance at the double, as a double from Council of Blood is scary, especially vs low model count.

I used teleporting to keep away from him, doing as much ranged damage as possible with Alarielle, 2x3 Kurnoth Bows (Alarielle summoned 1x3), Drycha's Flitterfuries, and the Prime's comet. The Prime dropped early to kill the Flesh Hounds on his right side objective and help chip away in general with his comet. 

His dice were horrific all game, though. Some of the worst I've seen. 

Game 2, Ironjawz, Places of Arcane Power:

This was the first time facing Gorefist. He he had a supercharged version with 18 Gore-Gruntas, along with starting the game with 4 CP, so 5 CP in round one. His list was excellent. Had a number of cool elements, including Aetherquartz Brooch to try and keep generating extra CP for boosting his Waaaagh!.

His army was the very definition of a mobile anvil, designed to keep you pinned in your deployment while his heroes score on objectives. That's what happened, although I made two mistakes that lost the game in deployment, one rather obvious and one a little less so: 

1) I was playing pretty casually and not thinking about how hard Gore-Gruntas could hit with the potential to stack so many CP, along with the realities of Smashing and Bashing. In light of that, my key pieces should've been more than 4" behind my screening 2x10 Dryads and 5 Spites.

He went first, so that would've meant he would just wipe out the Dryads and Spites, and then face Alarielle, Drycha, 3 Kurnoth Swords, and 3 Kurnoth Bows, along with Alarielle summoning 3 more Kurnoth Swords within 9" of her and 9" from the Gore-Gruntas for an 8+ charge (Warsinger). Alarielle's CA would've gone off as well for RR'ing wounds, and his Waaaagh! would not have been nearly as scary outside of his first initial turn.

I think it still would've been a tough game, though, because of the second deployment mistake.

2) Not only didn't I put the key pieces more than 4" away from the screens, I didn't leave enough space to summon Wyldwoods. He had 15 pigs immediately in my face, piling in and taking up lots of space with their big asses (er, bases), so it was impossible to get a launchpad Wyldwood down to get units out of my deployment in order to start threatening objectives.

Here's what probably would've been better: stretching my 25-model screen along the deployment line, and then leaving plenty of open space behind them for placing the Acorn Wyldwood, with Alarielle and other key pieces well-off the deployment line and out of the way from where the Acorn Wyldwood would drop.

Another issue was I kept failing the Branchwraith's Verdant on a 6+. Not having both Acorn and Ranu's (for a 4+ on Verdant) can greatly hurt our mobility.

Despite my oops on deployment, thank you to Tim for the enjoyable game!

Game 3, Nighthaunt, Relocation Orb:

This game was against a new player, so with the loss in round 2, I just wanted to see how well the list could (or couldn't!) chew through Nighthaunt rather than worrying about the mission. He had a handful of heroes, 3x20 Chainrasp, 20 Reapers, 12 Banshees, and a Black Coach. 

The obvious stand out was Dryads: -1 to hit + 2 attacks a model makes them ideal vs Nighthaunt. The thought of 20 in cover with a 3+ save (or 4+ vs -1 rend), putting out up to 41 attacks.... The popularity of Nighthaunt is another strong case for the Dryad spam we've been seeing since GHB17.

As expected, Kurnoth Swords were pretty good vs Nighthaunt. 

Alarielle, Kurnoth Bows, and Drycha were underwhelming. Alarielle was hurt, as you'd expect, by the Nighthaunt's common 4+ ignoring rend save. The Celestant-Prime is also negated vs Nighthaunt for the same reason. His comet can help, in principle, but Nighthaunt players are pretty incentivized to spread out their heroes, tying them to different units, based on the buffing role they play in the game.

If we had gone 5 rounds, I probably would've chewed through most of the army. Nighthaunt seem pretty tough, though. They have a lot of the right elements to compete on top tables: bodies, mobility, resiliency/healing, damage output, etc.

This post is getting along, so I'll follow up with another one shortly. 

Had a blast at the event, though, and learned a lot. Thanks to my opponents for three fun games! Was also grateful to receive Favorite Opponent/Game!

Edited by scrubyandwells
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, scrubyandwells said:

Attended the 1 day'er Realm of Rad yesterday (22 players) with my friend Scott Sproul. It was hosted by Edmond Unplugged, a brilliant FLGS in Edmond, Oklahoma (serving pizza, beer, etc.), and organized by Ben Cornelius of the Lords of the Realms podcast. Thanks so much to them for a fun event!

Similar to Siegeworld last Aug, I just wanted to attend with a learning, experimental mindset, in particular to learn more about: 

• How well can Sylvaneth compete without a one drop and with 20 Dryads (+ no Dryad summoning)
  • Alarielle and how to play her (6 games in after getting her a couple months ago)
  • Celestant-Prime's potential value in a Sylvaneth list
  • Kurnoth Bows' present value and in-game realities of playing them with 6+ Citadel Wood bases reducing LoS 
  • Whether Drycha is worth it, e.g., whether Flitterfuries can provide enough value (or to do Squirmlings), especially with Wyldwoods blocking LoS
  • How to deploy Sylvaneth non-one-drop in certain matchups 
  • How to build a competitive non-one-drop list, with low model count, capable of going 4-1

Re: #1-#5 above:

1) After six games across two 1 day'ers, it has felt difficult, as expected, to compete with only 20 Dryads. No shock there.

2) Same with the non-one-drop, but all of the losses have been close so far, except the game vs Gorefist, but that game was principally lost on my poor deployment.

A non-one-drop seems clearly less forgiving to mistakes, especially in deployment, with more potential for the unexpected. You can find yourself in situations where you can't even get a second or third Wyldwood on the table, due to enemy units getting in your face before you've had a turn, or failing to cast Verdant without Ranu's, etc.

3) Celestant-Prime wasn't that useful over the weekend, but those were my first three games with him. More experience needed. With that said, I was skeptical about his value on paper, especially at 340. If you drop him round 1 to use the comet, I don't know if he'll do enough over the game for his points. If you hold him until round 2, he's still capable of flubbing 5 attacks at 3's to hit, especially with the considerable # of to-hit debuffs in the game. And if you're waiting to strike with him in round 3, that might be too late in the game to make a difference, especially since you'll be playing 340pts down for two rounds. And as everyone knows, with a 3+ save and only 8 wounds, he dies incredibly easily. 

4) Unfortunately, Kurnoth Bows didn't do much over the weekend either. I was rolling consistently poor for them. The Wyldwood LoS-blocking wasn't much of an issue, however. It was just the usual frustration with their 4+ to hit that Sylvaneth players have been experiencing over the last couple years, especially now that Look Out, Sir! turns that 4+ into a 5+.

I still kind of like the idea of taking 3 of them in a list with Alarielle, so you have the ability to summon 3 more when you need targeted ranged damage (e.g., vs a Tzeentch caster-heavy list). At the same time, it can feel like you're playing 200pts down when they consistently do nothing, and you'd often much rather have 20 Dryads on the board.

5) Drycha's Flitterfuries were solid in the 1 day'er last August, but a little less valuable this weekend. In game 1 vs Khorne, though, they were outstanding, as she never died and continually pinged off a couple mortal wounds on multiple units/heroes each round. It's hard to know how she would've fared in game 2, since my deployment lost that game from the start. And in game 3 vs Nighthaunt, their heroes were too far spread out for Flitterfuries to have much impact. She was consistent on one front, though: She was both worthless in combat and sad/embittered the entire weekend, outside of one round, just before she was about to die to a bunch of pigs. 

I'd like to try out Squirmlings at a 1 day'er, although it would've only had relevance vs Nighthaunt this weekend. Maybe if you can keep her screened by lots of Dryads, which are then fighting a blob unit, you can have Drycha's Squirmlings in close enough range to do a lot of mortal wounds to that unit.

In general, I'm increasingly skeptical about Drycha's value at the moment. Since she dies quite easily and tends to do nothing in combat, you're spending 280pts on her as a 10-wound Wizard and for her Flitterfuries or Squirmlings. If you could actually choose which one she uses each game, she would be more interesting, but since you can only take one for an entire event, you'll often have matchups where she has the wrong one.

I'll follow up re: #6-#7 above.

Edited by scrubyandwells
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Finally getting myself to 2000 points and looking for some list advice

Leaders

600 Alarielle- 

300 Treelord Ancient - Warsinger, Acorn of the ages

80 Branchwraith - Ranu's

80 Branchwych - Circlet

Battleline

270 Dryads x30

80 Tree revenants x5

80 Tree revenants x5

Others

200 Kurnoth Hunters x3

100 Household

130 Gnarleroot

Chief questions

what I do with the last 80 points..... Thoughts? I really want to fit in more dryads if I can manage it somehow, but I guess just summoning may be enough. 

would I be better with the gnarled warrior combo on the treelord rather than the more supporty one?

@Frowny You could snag another Branchwraith for another cheap caster, which would probably serve you well if you want to try and run a summon list. Park them both behind your Wyldwood, try to summon 20 Dryads every turn - could work well. Even with a list like yours, you'll want a lot of Dryads off to one side, between Big Al's potential 20 and the other summoning over the course of the game.

Gnarled Warrior is great on big trees since only the strongest attacks will reduce their armor saves, but if you are fighting a lot of armies that put out lots of mortal wounds, I'd say Gift of Ghyran is probably a good bet as well. That, and you can hide in the trees and wait for them to come melee you, where Gnarled Warrior would be more useful.

I think 6 spells per turn is the sweet spot when playing in the realms, anything above that you'd need endless spells to really fill up all the slots to be useful every turn. I use 3 wraiths in harvestboon and they work super well, they're all wizards and 2 have artefacts, having multiple cheap heroes which can be -2 hit from shooting and -1 in melee and hard to get to is massive on scenarios like Three Places of Power, Places of Arcane power. The Wizards are also sweet on relocation orb where they count as 20 :)

Geminids, Shackles & Swords I think suit Gnarlroot better. Gnarlroot plays a better defensive game, using the Verdant Harmony to outgrind the opponent, Geminids plays to this style cutting the amount they kill down by the -1 to hit. Swords and shackles are very good respestively, 20 points for average of 2 MW/4MW against chaos is a bargain really. Shackles forces a opponent to dispel it and if they can't it can straight up cripple them. 

Cogs are fantastic for the army but you don't really have anything to make use of the turn one alpha bar Alarielle and you don't want to alpha her by your self. I think your better off trying to leverage the attrition Gnarlroot can achieve via Alarielles healing, regrowth, verdant harmony, alarialles summoning and Households ability to negate a big scary unit (30 ghasts is the ideal target) with a very tough treelord. 

I'm currently experimenting with endless spells in Gnarlroot and will be trying this out tonight:

• Treelord Ancient (300) - General, Lord of Spites, Moonstone, Regrowth
  • Branchwych (80) The Silverwood Circlet, The Reaping
  • Branchwraith (80) Ranu's Lamentiri, Verdant Blessing
  • Branchwraith (80) Throne of Vines
  • 20 x Dryads (200)
  • 5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
  • 5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
  • 6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400) - Scythes
  • 3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) - Greatswords
  • Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
  • Household (100)
  • Balewind Vortex (40)
  • Umbral Spellportal (60)
  • Chronomantic Cogs (60)
  • Purple Sun of Shyish (100)
  • Total: 1990 / 2000

I was running Alarielle but I think i'll get more value out of the 6 Scythes (assuming she summoned 3 to make the maths easy). Purple sun is really just for a bit of fun but think it might have some legs, the casting cost might cause frustrations with consistency. I think cogs is useful for the re-roll armour save on the TLA and also to keep that threat of throwing 9 hunters in on +2 to move and charge.

Obviously the biggest concern is having 490 points in battalions and endless spells. Might have too few models on the table.

10 hours ago, Frowny said:

Finally getting myself to 2000 points and looking for some list advice

Leaders

600 Alarielle- 

300 Treelord Ancient - Warsinger, Acorn of the ages

80 Branchwraith - Ranu's

80 Branchwych - Circlet

Battleline

270 Dryads x30

80 Tree revenants x5

80 Tree revenants x5

Others

200 Kurnoth Hunters x3

100 Household

130 Gnarleroot

Chief questions

what I do with the last 80 points..... Thoughts? I really want to fit in more dryads if I can manage it somehow, but I guess just summoning may be enough. 

would I be better with the gnarled warrior combo on the treelord rather than the more supporty one?

This is the exact list I have been running to date with the addition of cogs. I think you want to leave 20 points spare to try and get a triumph. I think that can be important in that list due to Alarielle being so swingy. re-rolling hits/wounds/saves on a critical combat can make a big difference. Re-rolling amour saves from cogs is great and if you summon a 2nd set of scythes the +2 charge through a woods means you have a constant threat. Would be good to know what spells you have selected. 

Edited by Mike Burgess

Good evening,

I’m just starting with Sylvaneth, as a Lizardmen Seraphon player, and I was looking for some tips:

I have Alarielle, A tree man she can summon, Durthu, Drycha, tree man ancient, 40 Dryads, 6 Hunters, 5 revenants, 6 wood models, as well as the Kong’s and Balewind endless spells.

can anyone help me make a good army with this? I’m thinking about using as much models as possible, and not take battalions.