AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 12/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, Twh30 said:

Haha true not a friendly list ;) can say that is power list so work backwards from that, say take her out add ancient kurnoth hunters and extra branchwych or make unit of 10 dryads into 20

I don't think Alarielle in a 1K list is that bad tbh.. her buffing shines better in a larger list and smaller lists still need to get objectives.

Hello there, Sylvaneth players! I have a query for you.

So, while I don't play Sylvaneth, I have been intrigued by them. And what I do love about the Sylvaneth is how little options in each of the Wargrove mega battalions can create crazy lists. I stumbled onto one idea for such a list, and I hope it hasn't been talked to death in this thread, but I wanted to share it and get your thoughts. I am sure it is inefficient, super slanted and gimmicky, but if this at all works, it would at least look awesome. Also, I had a hilarious idea for the story behind it.

Here is what I came up with.

Good Cop, Bad Cop

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

LEADERS
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)

UNITS
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

BATTALIONS
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2

The idea of having two of the most powerful "Aelven" figures in the game, tag teaming together without watering down the power of the Sylvaneth just sounds fun. I wish I had more room for Endless spells given ALLL of the wizards, but I was so close to points cap with just the minimum and the Branchwraith summoning bodies seems much more useful. I kinda want to proxy it up and try it, just to see if it has ANY actual teeth. 

For strategy, the two big girls have to do the heavy lifting, and without her own spell lore, Morathi pretty much just goes Snake mode ASAP. Should do very well in certain situations, at the very least. Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Mutter said:

How do you get Morathi in the list without her bening an ally or it being a GA?

He plays Gnarlroot - it allows one ORDER WIZARD to be included as an ally without any of the normal restrictions. Winterleaf could also include her (allows for an ORDER UNIT).

Edited by Isotop

On 12/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, Easytyger said:

I wanted to do this. May I ask how you cut the mat up? Just scissors? 

sorry for late reply but yes. I just drew line around an original base and used the scissors just within the line. Then drew the circles in around an empty tape thingy which had the same size (measuring the position a bit from different sides)

9 hours ago, PUFNSTUF said:

With the Faq to Drycha which range profile is best to take for her?

Depends on what you want her to do I guess.. it hardly changes much IMHO so if you had reasons to pick a ranged attack before those reasons are still valid. I take her as an anti horde monster since we have nothing else that does it that easily.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:05 PM, flamingwalnut said:

LEADERS
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)

UNITS
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

BATTALIONS
Household (100)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2

For strategy, the two big girls have to do the heavy lifting, and without her own spell lore, Morathi pretty much just goes Snake mode ASAP. Should do very well in certain situations, at the very least. Thoughts?

I've tried something similar. 

On three places of Arcane Power it is very strong. Once you put your heroes on the objectives, you are very difficult to remove. Even though you lack bodies. But as you lack bodies, you can't do anything on the other scenarios... On friendly games, it can be fun from time to time. But competitively it is not viable. 

The limitation of the gnarlroot by putting mandatory TLA, branchwych and Tree-revs is kind of frustrating as you could bring in enough bodies with the removal of the TLA only. 

Morathi by herself is still good: Arnzipal Black horror is very nice to remove those 5Wounds heroes with some luck (specially on T1 as you double the range). And the shooting in snake mode can allow some strong possibilities. But there are better Order Wizards to get :o 

Plus, Morathi doesn't get to be healed.

But it is still fun to play though! 

17 hours ago, Alezya said:

On three places of Arcane Power it is very strong. Once you put your heroes on the objectives, you are very difficult to remove. Even though you lack bodies. But as you lack bodies, you can't do anything on the other scenarios... On friendly games, it can be fun from time to time. But competitively it is not viable. 

The limitation of the gnarlroot by putting mandatory TLA, branchwych and Tree-revs is kind of frustrating as you could bring in enough bodies with the removal of the TLA only. 

Morathi by herself is still good: Arnzipal Black horror is very nice to remove those 5Wounds heroes with some luck (specially on T1 as you double the range). And the shooting in snake mode can allow some strong possibilities. But there are better Order Wizards to get :o 

All fair points. I was sure it wasn't going to be sweeping tables, but hey. The idea is cool and I really love the What If thought puzzle to it all. Curious how casual it can really get, though as both the big ladies can be a serious pain.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:50 AM, Alezya said:

What about instead of morathi run aventis firestrike. Dont buy command points buy endless spells? Now with the points you save from morathi to aventis you have enough for a dryad blob or to beef up a revenant blob if youre worried about drops. Aventis doesnt have the staying power of morathi but is a suicide bomber of mortal wounds.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:50 PM, Bozly said:

What about instead of morathi run aventis firestrike. Dont buy command points buy endless spells? Now with the points you save from morathi to aventis you have enough for a dryad blob or to beef up a revenant blob if youre worried about drops. Aventis doesnt have the staying power of morathi but is a suicide bomber of mortal wounds.

Don't worry about drops, as long as you don't take in allies, you will always be a 1-drop army 😎

Aventis can be a very strong entry, I agree. In itself it's already a quite beefy hero: It's a hero that hit as hard as and tank as most of SCE heroes. I think he is very underrated. 

9 hours ago, Drillz said:

What’s a good number of dryads to have on hand for most matched play

for 2K points? at least 50 I'd say. But I prefer to start with at least 1x20 and 1x10. Then hope you can summon another 20 during the game (I've not had THAT much luck with summoning I have to say. There needs to be a forest, there needs to be room in that forest 9" outside of the enemy - who will prefer it if that room ISN"T there.... and there needs to be a somewhat high roll that isn't countered).

7 hours ago, Izikail said:

As a newbie to the faction, how many woods do i need to buy when building to a 2k list, in terms of the stands the hold three tree trunks? 

I'd go with 3 at least, so you can throw down your big one at the start of the game. Ideally, you'd bring as many as you can manage, since it's advantageous to have multiple different woods on the field to teleport to and summon from. From my (limited) experience, it seems that the difference between having 2 and 3 woods is fairly minor, so you could go up to 4 and go with one group of 2 at the start, and one group to summon later.

I'm going to guess that most places that folks play at will let you use spare woods at the store as wildwoods when you play, but for tournaments I'd guess they'd require you to bring your own.

I'd be fine, personally, going up to 6 eventually, so I can have enough wildwoods to do whatever with, and they'd also match the aesthetics of my army to look neat on the table.

11 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Yea ritchies list and Laurie’s list are probably the two most hardcore ways of playing sylvaneth at the moment

Not sure what the second list is that you’re referring to but my friend has been having a decent amount of success with:

Durthu

3 Branchwraiths

30 Dryads

30 Dryads

10 Dryads

6 Hunters

Cogs

Forest Folk

Harvestboon

He’s actually going to trade out cogs and one of the Branchwraiths to make the small dryad squad into a 30 man. But it’s a very real alpha bunker. 3 turns into the game he just wins from sitting on objectives.