AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, AaronWIlson said:

You can pick a spell from the deepwood lore if you're a Sylvaneth Wizard, if you're playing in a realm you have access to all 6 spells on each wizard. 

I was about to ask a question regarding this topic in the rules section, but I guess it will fit here as well. My question refers to the Deepwood Lore in conjunction with allied wizards. Under DEEPWOOD SPELL LORE in the Sylvaneth battle tome it says: 

"Each WIZARD in a SYLVANETH army knows an additional spell [...]" (1)

then, at the end of the paragraph:

"[...] you can instead generate (pick or roll) one spell that will be known by all your SYLVANETH WIZARDS." (2)

As far as I know (looking at lists) people just ignored the fact that (1) allows allied wizards to pick an additional spell from Deepwood. In my opinion the reason could be "RAI-thinking" or the kind of contradicting part (2). Final option: I am simply not aware of an erratum or designers commentary regarding this topic. In this case I would be happy if someone could point me towards the hard evidence - otherwise, a discussion on the topic is more than welcome.

In regards to 2, it's worse to pick one spell for all your wizards then to pick one unique one for each wizard which don't have to be unique. I know scruby & wells uses regrowth on both drycha / TLA and then Throne of vines on wych / Blessing on wraith.

In regards to 1, allies can't take advantage of allegiance abilities / traits so I assume that's why people aren't doing that. 

27 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

In regards to 2, it's worse to pick one spell for all your wizards then to pick one unique one for each wizard which don't have to be unique. I know scruby & wells uses regrowth on both drycha / TLA and then Throne of vines on wych / Blessing on wraith.

In regards to 1, allies can't take advantage of allegiance abilities / traits so I assume that's why people aren't doing that. 

How is the Deepwood Spell Lore an allegiance ability? What is a (allegiance) trait? 

Hello eveybody!

Soon i will have a 1k tournament a i'm thinking ofusing this 1k list:

Alarielle with Verdant Blessing (i will summon Kurnoth Hunters with Schytes)

Branchwraith with Ranu's Lamnetiri and Regrowth

1x20 Dryads

1x5 Tree Revenants

Pendulum

What do you think of this list? Any suggestion? Any alternative list that in your opinion is more effective?

1 hour ago, Lhw said:

@Isotop it has been FAQd, I'm afraid.

image.png.6eb17ad9b0db4977b97d2f9ae870f142.png

Good to know. Still a bit confused, since the "know spells from its spell lores" part is not inlcuded in any rules BEFORE this erratum/FAQ. Yet they let it sound as if it was a clear thing that allied wizards could not use the Deepwood Spell Lore. I guess it is just another example of lacking consistency from GW´s side.

13 hours ago, ppetford said:

Hmm, is using the Deepwood Spell Lore stated as an allegiance ability? My feeling is yes, but I can’t find it in the book ?

It most definitely is not, since page 107 of the Sylvaneth Battletome states:

"This page describes the allegiance abilities that a sylvaneth army possesses, and the command trait that its general can have."

Deepwood Spell Lore is on the next page, and following from the quotation not even command traits are part of the allegiance ability. So in AOS1.0, where an allied model could be the general (correct me if I am wrong), such an ally could in fact get a "Sylvaneth" command trait. 

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Hello eveybody!

Soon i will have a 1k tournament a i'm thinking ofusing this 1k list:

Alarielle with Verdant Blessing (i will summon Kurnoth Hunters with Schytes)

Branchwraith with Ranu's Lamnetiri and Regrowth

1x20 Dryads

1x5 Tree Revenants

Pendulum

What do you think of this list? Any suggestion? Any alternative list that in your opinion is more effective?

Hi Milo! Are you a new player? If yes, I like the list a lot, simply because you will learn how to play with Alarielle (you will most likely use her in a good amount of bigger games as well). There are, however, some points I would like to treat:

(1) Is it a "newbie" tournament where people will most likely show up with a starter box + some "random" stuff? If yes, you should overthink taking Alarielle.

(2) Are you playing on 48"x48" tables? If yes, I would skip the verdant blessing, since you will most likely have enough "forest presence" [see (3),(4)]

(3) I can deeply recommend Throne of Vines on Alarielle. It makes her other casts even stronger/the pendulum safer. It also gives you the 1-2 additional mortal wounds on Metamorphosis you will most likely welcome especially at lower point levels.

(4) If you want you use the Dryad summoning with the Branchwraith, I would swap Ranu´s Lamentiri with Arcorn of the Ages. You can not really control wether your starting Wyldwood will be on your side of the board or not. A Verdant Blessing on Alarielle "only" suceeds on a 6+, which is also not super reliable. Ranu´s will give you Regrowth on a 3+ instead of a 5+, which is often times not necessary.  Roused to Wrath on the other hand will only recieve a +1 bonus from Ranu´s (since it is not part of the Deepwood Spell Lore :( ) - this puts it on a 6+ instead of 7+ to cast, which is a very relevant improvement, but in my view simply does not cut it in relation to the "I need a safe Wyldwood to start summoning in the first place" -issue.

(5) You say you will summon Scythe Hunters with Alarielle. If you have, up to now,  a limited model range and no other options that is perfectly fine (and you will end up with summoning Hunters a lot anyways). But if you have a wider model range allready, I would recommend bringing other options to the tournament. Deciding what you will summon in any given game is a really strong aspect of Alarielle´s ability. 

Hope I made everything clear (no native English speaker). Side note: I am not a super experienced player myself (assuming you are kind of new) - so take everything with a grain of salt. I would be happy to discuss the points I made further (if you/anyone wisheS to).

Edited by Isotop

37 minutes ago, Isotop said:

Hi Milo! Are you a new player? If yes, I like the list a lot, simply because you will learn how to play with Alarielle (you will most likely use her in a good amount of bigger games as well). There are, however, some points I would like to treat:

(1) Is it a "newbie" tournament where people will most likely show up with a starter box + some "random" stuff? If yes, you should overthink taking Alarielle.

(2) Are you playing on 48"x48" tables? If yes, I would skip the verdant blessing, since you will most likely have enough "forest presence" [see (3),(4)]

(3) I can deeply recommend Throne of Vines on Alarielle. It makes her other casts even stronger/the pendulum safer. It also gives you the 1-2 additional mortal wounds on Metamorphosis you will most likely welcome especially at lower point levels.

(4) If you want you use the Dryad summoning with the Branchwraith, I would swap Ranu´s Lamentiri with Arcorn of the Ages. You can not really control wether your starting Wyldwood will be on your side of the board or not. A Verdant Blessing on Alarielle "only" suceeds on a 6+, which is also not super reliable. Ranu´s will give you Regrowth on a 3+ instead of a 5+, which is often times not necessary.  Roused to Wrath on the other hand will only recieve a +1 bonus from Ranu´s (since it is not part of the Deepwood Spell Lore :( ) - this puts it on a 6+ instead of 7+ to cast, which is a very relevant improvement, but in my view simply does not cut it in relation to the "I need a safe Wyldwood to start summoning in the first place" -issue.

(5) You say you will summon Scythe Hunters with Alarielle. If you have, up to now,  a limited model range and no other options that is perfectly fine (and you will end up with summoning Hunters a lot anyways). But if you have a wider model range allready, I would recommend bringing other options to the tournament. Deciding what you will summon in any given game is a really strong aspect of Alarielle´s ability. 

Hope I made everything clear (no native English speaker). Side note: I am not a super experienced player myself (assuming you are kind of new) - so take everything with a grain of salt. I would be happy to discuss the points I made further (if you/anyone wisheS to).

1) It's not a "newbie" tournament :)

2) The table is 48x48 and i was thinking of verdant blessing becasue otherwise i don't have any other spell to obtain new wyldwood, and without forests I loose all the Sylvaneth bonuses and i can't defend well the objectives.

3) Throne of Vines is a very good idea!!

4) It's an entirely acceptable argument

5) I was thinking to summon Kurnoth with Scythes beacuse they make damage (except Alarielle the others don't make so many wounds) and the unit is composed by theree so they could help me to control objecitve. In your opinion is better to summon 20 dryads? Or what else?

Tested sylvaneth for the first time in aos 2. Have to say that they are pretty formidable with all the shenanigans they have. Plan is to swamp the middle  of the board with trees and force the opponent come to fight on my terms. It's funny how much mortal wounds this list can dish out and still fight against hordes.  I used following list:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
- Greatswords

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Household (100)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

What do you guys think about this list?

22 hours ago, Milo said:

1) It's not a "newbie" tournament :)

2) The table is 48x48 and i was thinking of verdant blessing becasue otherwise i don't have any other spell to obtain new wyldwood, and without forests I loose all the Sylvaneth bonuses and i can't defend well the objectives.

3) Throne of Vines is a very good idea!!

4) It's an entirely acceptable argument

5) I was thinking to summon Kurnoth with Scythes beacuse they make damage (except Alarielle the others don't make so many wounds) and the unit is composed by theree so they could help me to control objecitve. In your opinion is better to summon 20 dryads? Or what else?

I think the Scythe Hunters are a great summoning option in general, but there might be cases in which other options are better. An extrene example: You are fighting Nighthaunt and everything has Ethereal - here, 3 Sword Hunters are simply better suited due to having more attacks but the same damage output as the Scythes. In some games you even might opt for Bow Hunters to start chipping away on the opponent right from turn 1. A Treelord can be great, and so can be 20 Dryads. I can not provide you with a strict rule when to use which summoning option - I just wanted you to keep your options in mind. Good luck at the tournament and I hope we will hear from you  how things turned out!

Edited by Isotop

3 hours ago, Fihtimi said:

Tested sylvaneth for the first time in aos 2. Have to say that they are pretty formidable with all the shenanigans they have. Plan is to swamp the middle  of the board with trees and force the opponent come to fight on my terms. It's funny how much mortal wounds this list can dish out and still fight against hordes.  I used following list:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
- Scythes
- Greatswords

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Household (100)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

What do you guys think about this list?

I have yet to try out Gnarlroot myself (concentrating on Dreadwood so far), so my regards and questions are purely on the "I want to learn about this list" -side.

(1) You say the list can still fight against hordes, so I guess you went Squirmlings on Drycha?

(2) Why no Arcorn of the Ages? I found the opportunity to plant down a 100% safe Wyldwood too valuable to pass up on. Maybe you could touch upon your usage of the Silverwood Circlet.

(3) Why are you using the Chronomatic Cogs if your game plan is bunkering down on the objectives? I am having a feeling you could get more mileage out of damage spells like the Pendulum. 

(4) I really like the basic fact that you mix Scythes and Swords! But in this particular list I have some concerns with your loadout. I think that Verdurous Harmony is one of the big boons of Gnarlroot, since bringing back a Kurnoth Hunter is so point-efficient. I fear that units of 3 may be wiped out too fast to make good use of the spell. Secondly, I made the experience that the big plus of Sythe Hunters is the fact they can attack over your massive Dryad line, which would play into your bunkering style. See (5) for continuation on this point.

(5) I love the Incantor! The auto-unbind is super valuable in certain matchups and rarely useless. The Spirit Flask are, as well, pretty useful in a good amount of games. In relation to (4), though, I could see an argument for kicking the Incantor and 10 Dryads to make room for another 3 Hunters (adding them to the existing Sythe unit). Not saying that this is the better option (not even in my mind) but a thing you could try out.

(6) Not implying you do, but do not forget about the Discipline of the Ages rule of the Household - I know it can be hard to remember all the little things a Sylvaneth army comes up with!

Hi all

Returning Sylvaneth player. Gonna hope to get an army up and running. 

I picked up a box of Kurnoth Hunters, My second box. I made my first with Greatbows. I'm not sure what to give the second unit. Swords or Sycthes?

I was thinking Swords as they have more attacks and reliable damage. Whilst the Sycthes could do more damage they aren't as reliable and fewer attacks. But that 2" range seems useful. 

I main aim for the second user is to use them as a summon for Alarielle, when I get her. If not then use them as a second big damage unit on the table.

What do people think?

5 hours ago, BionicRope64 said:

Hi all

I picked up a box of Kurnoth Hunters, My second box. I made my first with Greatbows. I'm not sure what to give the second unit. Swords or Sycthes?

I was thinking Swords as they have more attacks and reliable damage. Whilst the Sycthes could do more damage they aren't as reliable and fewer attacks. But that 2" range seems useful. 

I main aim for the second user is to use them as a summon for Alarielle, when I get her. If not then use them as a second big damage unit on the table.

What do people think?

I think it's a good idea

On 9/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, BionicRope64 said:

Hi all

What do people think?

I would recommend magnetizing them. Otherwise, it really depends how you wanna play your army. The most "balanced" version would probably be Swords.

Smashed out the majority of a Path to Glory campaign last night. My mate Liam ran Ironjawz, with a Megaboss as his Champion, while I took a Spirit of Durthu. After watching the Rerolling Ones video series, we decided to randomly roll for everything. I got Gift of Ghyran for my Command Trait, the Jade Diadem for my Relic, and 5 Spite-Revenants. He got Brutish CunningMetalrippa’s Klaw, 2 x 5 Ardboyz and 5 Brutes.

GAME 1 - ALTARS OF THE GODS

With only 2 units, I knew I couldn’t auto-win by holding 3 altars, so I set up my 2-base Wyldwood between two of the altars. Durthu advanced pretty aggressively near said woods, and I kept my Spite-Revenants in the back, purely for Whispers in the Dark. Turns out they weren’t even required - Durthu is one scary ****** in combat! He single-handedly wiped out Liam’s whole force in a couple of rounds! 6 damage on that sword is just nuts (though mine is modelled with a spear).

POSTGAME: I rolled a Branchwych with Verdant Blessing, and Liam rolled Extra-heavy Armour for his Megaboss.

GLORY: Cail 3, Liam 1.

GAME 2 - THE SACRIFICE

Being an Order army, I had to pick a model to save from the sacrificial altar. My newly acquired Branchwych was the best candidate, so I had to go an extra game before using her! Once again, Durthu single-handedly wiped Liam’s force to a man, saving my Branchwych. Brutal.

POSTGAME: I rolled a unit of 5 Tree-Revenants, and Liam rolled the Intoxicating Rhythm reward for his Brutes (though he had no Warchanter yet to benefit from this buff).

GLORY: Cail 5, Liam 2.

GAME 3 - THE VENDETTA

After seeing Durthu’s destructive rampage in the last 2 games, Liam chose to sit back and make me come to him (away from my Wyldwood). Worked pretty well, until he rolled a double-1 for his Brutes’ charge (in hindsight, I realise that we forgot about his Eager for Battle Allegiance Ability). Durthu took advantage of this and wiped his army out. I must admit, by this point I was feeling super-guilty about his performance. :/

POSTGAME: I rolled the Overcome by Fury reward for Durthu, and he rolled the Intractable reward for his Megaboss.

GLORY: Cail 8, Liam 3.

GAME 4 - CORNERED!

Powering through the games! This time Liam had to get his Megaboss off the board before Death-Dealer Durthu put him in the ground... again. After a lucky double-turn, he succeeded in escaping! Durthu still smashed his Brutes to pieces as a matter of course.

POSTGAME: I rolled the Unnaturally Swift reward for Durthu, and he rolled a new unit - a Warchanter!

GLORY: Cail 9, Liam 5.

GAME 5 - THE MONOLITH

We decided that Liam’s Megaboss Gorbash wanted to create an effigy to Gork, so we played The Monolith. He castled up, rolled high for his monolith construction and prepared for the almighty destruction that was Durthu. The walking death machine went in and smashed a unit of Ardboyz. Liam charged with his Brutes and knocked Durthu down a few levels, who then fluffed all his attacks. He rolled a double-turn and got to 20 for his monolith, winning again!

POSTGAME: I rolled the Awakened Fury reward for my Tree-Revenants, and Liam rolled another unit of 5 Ardboyz.

GLORY: Cail 10, Liam 9.

At this point, we’re very close, so I don’t feel quite so bad about Durthu’s heinous butchering. :) Really solid unit, especially if you can buff him! Here’s a photo of him - I plan on utilising spears throughout the army!

F0BF7F9F-C21D-49D1-929A-5F195CE0404F.jpeg

• Like 2

Silent Communion: In the hero phase, a Treelord Ancient can commune with the realmroots, calling forth a glade of trees. Roll a dice. On a result of 4 or more, you can set up a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. Each Citadel Wood must be placed within 15" of the Treelord Ancient, and not within 3" of any other models.

Does this mean my TLA can set up a wyldwood during my opponents hero phase?

EDIT: Ignore me, this is answered in the FAQ:

Page 135 – Treelord Ancient, Silent Communion Change to: ‘Silent Communion: In your hero phase, you can pick 1 friendly Treelord Ancient and roll a dice. On a 4+, you can set up 1 Sylvaneth Wyldwood terrain feature wholly within 24" of that Treelord Ancient, and more than 3" from any other models or terrain features.’

Edited by a74xhx
answering my stupid question