AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, readercolin said:

Dispelling endless spells happens at the start of the hero phase.  Casting happens during.  So if you have the portal at the start of your turn your opponent can kill it before you can cast a spell through it.  However, if you cast it during your turn and your opponent fails to stop it, they can't then dispell it to prevent you from using it.

Ow that is a serious treat against portal bombing. 

Hi all. Sorry if this has been said yet but Im returning to Sylvaneth and with the september faq I hace a doubt with wyldwoods.

I thought we could put 3 Little wyldwoods or the large one. But now the faq says 1-3 and if you put more than 1 must be joined making a circle. So we cant put the 3 Little ones isnt It? And when the treelord ancient or the spell puts one more we have to put it together. 

IS this ok or we can still put 3 pieces on they own?

Edited by Hoseman

3 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Hi all. Sorry if this has been said yet but Im returning to Sylvaneth and with the september faq I hace a doubt with wyldwoods.

I thought we could put 3 Little wyldwoods or the large one. But now the faq says 1-3 and if you put more than 1 must be joined making a circle. So we cant put the 3 Little ones isnt It? And when the treelord ancient or the spell puts one more we have to put it together. 

IS this ok or we can still put 3 pieces on they own?

It has been changed (back) again. You understand correctly. 1x 1-3 per cast/ability/etc. Not 3 seperate models anymore in one go.

Edited by Aezeal
  • Thanks 2

It's been silent here since the revert to 1-3 woods rules, while, during Be'lakor, people seemed quite optimistic about these rules for the woods.

What's the experience with sylvaneth & the current rules? what has been the influence on list building compared to the 3x woods per cast? No more Durthu? TLA still worth it for the command? 

On 10/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, PJetski said:

The app has never been totally consistent with the rules.

In terms of authority it is always Errata > Battletome >>>>>>> App

Well, here is the transcript from an online chat I had on the GW website last week.

From this it would seem:

a) The GW webchat person considered the webchat a valid place for rule clarification

b) His opinion is that if it's on the App it is the rules

c) Based on this allied and coalition Sylvaneth wizards can cast Verdant Blessing

I'm not convinced on b) or c) (or if (c) is correct GW have not realised the implications) and that we need a FAQ or correction. Maybe if we all ask GW they'll address it

You

Hello Daniel. I have a question about rules. It's to do with age of sigmar spell lore. Is this the place to ask? I've checked out the FAQs on Warhammer Community and can't find an answer there.

Daniel

This is the place to ask, indeed - we can either clarify that for you, or point you in the right direction

You

Thanks. On the new app, in Sylvaneth warscrolls each wizard has Verdant Blessing on their warscroll. Previously this spell was in faction abilities in the battle tome and therefore only available to wizards in a Sylvaneth army. Now it's on the individual warscrolls on the app does that mean that Sylvaneth wizards in my living city/cities of sigmar army can cast it?

Daniel

OK! Sorry for the delay there, I was cross referencing that with the latest FAQs, the Battletome, and the app.

Daniel

From what I can see here, you can indeed!

You

Wow, thanks. That seems a pretty major change. So is the app "official rules" if it contradicts previous battletomes/FAQs etc?

You

As in, does it count as "the most recent rules"

Daniel

The App will always include the latest FAQs as though they were always written that way, if that makes sense - so to answer your question, yes! The App has the most recent rules.

Edited by EntMan

56 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Errata > Battletome >>>>>>> App >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Random GW employees

Lol, yeah. Which is why I specifically asked if the chat was an appropriate place for rules clarification and then checked if the app did indeed count as rules. I think Daniel was just trying to be helpful. Although in this case "I don't know" would have actually been the more helpful answer.

Even the employee himself said that the app just includes the FAQs, not that it's an independent source of rules (even if he was wrong about how to apply that). If it's not in an actual errata/FAQ, it's not an actual modification of the tome. I guess GW could in theory change this to make the app's version of the rules the real rules, even when it contradicts what's in the actual rules...but they haven't, and it would surprise me if they did. 

So no, you can't use the spell to summon woods in a living cities list. 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, PJetski said:

Is there any way for an allied Warsong Revenant to set up woods? 

So based on the consensus that Verdant Blessing on the warscrolls is an error I believe the only ways for allied or coalition Sylvaneth to set up woods is either:

Treelord Ancient's Silent Communion ability - reliable but you can only ever get one wood this way (even if you have multiple Treelord Ancients)

or

Alarielle's Metamorphosis spell, less reliable as you need to use it to deal the final (mortal) wound to finish off a unit and that unit has to be far enough away from other models and units to have space to set up the woods.

Edited by EntMan

I want to ask u all how to finish this list up to a 1000 points. I dont know much about Sylvaneth. Do i have to buy the woods and more dryads for summoning? I dont want to spend a ton of money on extras or situational stuff at the moment if i dont have to. I am just looking for something that doesnt get stomped to hard. I like to put some wood elves in for the whfb feels.

LEADERS
Qulathis the Exile (100)
Branchwych (90)

UNITS 20 x Dryads (190)
5 x Wild Riders (120) - Allies

TOTAL: 500/1000 WOUNDS: 40
(already own these models)

I was thinking about adding a Warsong Revenant and Kurnoth Hunters with bows for the last 500 points.
Would this be any good at all? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

I don't think Wild Riders are still allies of Sylvaneth. If you want to play them with Sylvaneth try Living City from COS. Also you won't need to worry about Wyldwoods.

Thanks. Dont think CoS would work within 1000p and these models though. Or do i miss something?

9 hours ago, Iksdee said:

LEADERS
Qulathis the Exile (100)
Branchwych (90)

UNITS 20 x Dryads (190)
5 x Wild Riders (120) - Allies

TOTAL: 500/1000 WOUNDS: 40
(already own these models)

I was thinking about adding a Warsong Revenant and Kurnoth Hunters with bows for the last 500 points.
Would this be any good at all? Thanks!

Something about AoS 3.  

Things that can reliably grind over turns is good.  High T/Save is good.  I would consider a Hero that has high W count and high save over Qulathis (I have him and man I wish he was better, WW Hero better).  A hero/monster combination in some manner is good as it gets 1-2 benefits for free from the rules.  TBH at 1k a Treelord would be an interesting choice.  Or two.  If you have a backup that can heal them reliably (perhaps Gnarlroot, healing?) they would do fine for a cheap ish price for the unit.

Warsongs are really good.  Kurnoth Hunters are fine but you won't see many in tournament lists compared to hero/monsters.

• Thanks 1

Just went 2-1 at an RTT. Only lost to 4 stonehorns. Here's my list:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (740)
Treelord Ancient (295)*
- General
- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony

Battleline
20 x Dryads (190)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)*
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)*
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)*

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (430)*
- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93
Drops: 2
Treelord has a CA that gives +1 save wholly within 12" of him AND Hunters. And he gets a once per game free tree. I can get him and the Hunters at +3 save very easily so he's basically a 2+ save ignoring -2 rend. I position him behind Hunters, he can stomp and make a unit within 3" fight last. And has 3" reach. So he can swing over Hunters. I plant( hehe) him and 6 Hunters on an objective. That counts for 17 models and extremely hard to shift outside of mass MW. So the basic strategy of this list is TLA and Hunters on 1 objective. 20-40 dryads or 20 dryads and 3 Hunters, either sword or bow, battleshock immune, on another. While Alarielle just runs around causing mayham. With lifeswarm I can just bring back 2d3 or even heal thr TLA 4d3.

Fun list with some teeth.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 3:30 AM, Tizianolol said:

Last question.. can I use navigate realm battle trait and after shoot with my hunters ? Thx a lot:)

Yes you can. You can always shoot after moving, except after a run or retreat move. Teleporting isn't a run or retreat.

• Like 1