AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

18 minutes ago, Yondaime said:

Aye, named character cant take enhancments

58 minutes ago, Nqshou said:

iirc Flaming weapon cannot be given to a named character.

Cheers guys. I knew they couldn't have command traits/artefacts but wasn't sure how it interacted with spells, as they do get to pick from the deepwood list.

In my defence this is the first time I've tried a named character 🤣 

EDIT: That said, what's a good Deepwood spell for Drycha? Regrowth for emergency heals?

Edited by AdamR

12 hours ago, Alessio said:

When a Treelord ancient uses the ability "heed the spirit song" who gives +1 save to all units wholly within 12". It means that all my hunters units on the table and all units wholly within 12" of the hunters have +1 save as well?

Yes... the accepted strategy is to keep that up from the first hero-phase till the end of the game :D, nothing to be ashamed of since it's about the only powerhouse ability we have (and on a rather expensive model pointwise which certainly doesn't have the stats to back the point cost otherwise). And shhhh... GW hates sylvaneth and I'm still expecting them to put this ability somewhere with the other fast dropping stats in the damage table.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yes... the accepted strategy is to keep that up from the first hero-phase till the end of the game :D, nothing to be ashamed of since it's about the only powerhouse ability we have (and on a rather expensive model pointwise which certainly doesn't have the stats to back the point cost otherwise). And shhhh... GW hates sylvaneth and I'm still expecting them to put this ability somewhere with the other fast dropping stats in the damage table.

I see you too are looking forward to our 5 wound, 400 point, 6+ save treelord ancient who can deal 1d3 mortal wounds if you roll a 6 on his only attack followed by having to roll a die for every enemy model and not roll a single odd or even number.

I jest, but only slightly. Hopefully GW figures out what to do with Sylvaneth this time and doesn't just break them further.

• Like 1

Hi all, long time lurker here. I just signed up for my first tournament, wanted to get thoughts on the list below. Idea is to keep Drycha with the bowhunters hiding in one central wood as a ranged threat, Wraith and Warsong in another wood churning out dryads and mortal bombs (with the spellportal), while the rest of the army supports/roams wherever needed. 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (105)**
Branchwraith (95)*
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
Branchwych (90)**
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Drycha Hamadreth (330)**
Treelord Ancient (295)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Warsong Revenant (275)*
- General
- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)*
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)***

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (225)**
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (225)***

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89
Drops: 11

On 9/19/2021 at 6:57 PM, King Dust said:
Hi all, long time lurker here. I just signed up for my first tournament, wanted to get thoughts on the list below. Idea is to keep Drycha with the bowhunters hiding in one central wood as a ranged threat, Wraith and Warsong in another wood churning out dryads and mortal bombs (with the spellportal), while the rest of the army supports/roams wherever needed. 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (105)**
Branchwraith (95)*
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
Branchwych (90)**
Drycha Hamadreth (330)**
Treelord Ancient (295)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Warsong Revenant (275)*
- General
- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)*

Units

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89
Drops: 11

I would make the same suggestion as @Lanoss did. The arch isn't doing much of anything with just 2 hunters/no big infantry units for her to buff and the wych doesn't do much in general.

1 hour ago, Sleepa said:

Hey is it true that with the current FAQ, we can only summon woods in our own deployment zone territory? Per the ruling that woods follow all faction terrain restrictions?

They also have a specification that we follow the rulling on the ability that summoned them for the woods. As it is something specified in the warscroll it should overrule the general faction terrain restriction. 

15 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

They also have a specification that we follow the rulling on the ability that summoned them for the woods. As it is something specified in the warscroll it should overrule the general faction terrain restriction. 

But we still have to abide by the 3" placement requirements, no?

18 hours ago, Sleepa said:

Hey is it true that with the current FAQ, we can only summon woods in our own deployment zone territory? Per the ruling that woods follow all faction terrain restrictions?

16 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

Even better: they removed that passage in the updated FAQ. Now it’s anywhere on the table more than 3” from anything else.

At least for the next 72 hours until they ****** us around again.

13 hours ago, Lanoss said:

@King Dust kneegerk reaction - Amulet of Destiny

And I’m also in favour of the Vesperal Gem over Spiritsong Stave - but that’s personal preference 

Do you also put the chalice on your wraith or on the warsong (more spells to benefit from it including a direct damage spell)?

In yesterday's 1500 point game I had the TLA with the vesperal gem with Verdurous Harmony       

The Wraith had to make do with Throne for summoning

The warsong had the chalice for Spellportal, damage spell and Treesong (or regrowth but didn't use that)

I'll have to admit the Wraith did Throne turn one but had to move due to battle tactic (my fault) and afterwards only summoned 10 dryads turn 3.

The Warsong was nice though had a few bad rolls and high unbinds so wasn't as good as I hoped but that was really in the dice

The TLA was summoning forest (so no verspral gem use) first 2 turns due to lack of targets for Verdurous (I pulled back a bit turn 1 and then got first go in turn 2 and stayed put so no combat  till enemy turn 2). 

With chalice on the wraith I probably would have summoned more but the damage of warsong would probably be reduced in an average game.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, Reinholt said:

jest, but only slightly. Hopefully GW figures out what to do with Sylvaneth this time and doesn't just break them further.

They are quite good now yes.  It was indeed a shocking turnaround from AoS 2.  

On 9/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, King Dust said:

Consider 6 bow hunters.  3 sword hunters cost a lot.  Better yet drop the swords and ancient maybe BW to get allarielle in the list if you can.  She's never been this good.  Warsong does better with chalice too.

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

But can you first cast your spells through the portal before the opponent can remove it?

Dispelling endless spells happens at the start of the hero phase.  Casting happens during.  So if you have the portal at the start of your turn your opponent can kill it before you can cast a spell through it.  However, if you cast it during your turn and your opponent fails to stop it, they can't then dispell it to prevent you from using it.