AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

From the reveal article:
"Floating on thermals of sheer magic, Warsong Revenants play a Spirit Song which has the power to cause the land itself to come alive. Their music is a balm to the Sylvaneth and the promise of vengeance to their enemies. The Warsong Revenants can even summon a malicious swarm of spites to attack nearby enemies. "

Looks like a buffing hero, in a rather large base (in the video its possible to see a oval base, probably smaller than the treelord/drycha in size).

Honestly not super excited about another revenant buffing character. They're 5 to a box 32mm models with 1 wound and no save to speak of so as cool as they look I'm not gonna invest the money and points required to bring a lot of them.

Furthermore we really need UNITS not more heroes that already outnumber our unit choices. 

As for the model himself the angle (looks like he has one huge shin guard from pelvis to foot) is bad but the model is good. Would definitely chop off the headress while saving as much branch as possible. Hang the charms from the branches and move the eggs to the base. That's all personal taste though.

Edit: on closer inspection he looks like he has no stomach/waist and the leaf cloak just to make him "bigger" (more expensive I assume) looks doofy.

Edited by The Red King
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Honestly not super excited about another revenant buffing character. They're 5 to a box 32mm models with 1 wound and no save to speak of so as cool as they look I'm not gonna invest the money and points required to bring a lot of them.

Names can be deceiving since the "Arch-Revenant" buffed Kurnoth Hunters.  Let's hold out until we see some rules.

4 hours ago, Pennydude said:

Names can be deceiving since the "Arch-Revenant" buffed Kurnoth Hunters.  Let's hold out until we see some rules.

You're right I think I confused the arch rev with the living cities artefact that adds an attack to every sylvaneth unit for a turn. I'm still a little annoyed about more characters when we need more units (think fyreslayers, FEC, etc) and my personal opinion on appearance is the same but I was wrong about the revenant comment. I'm just bitter cause I love my tree revs and GW, to me, does not. I mean they're good at doing what they do which is threatening far flung objectives and denying areas but that's just not what I see them as being for when they look so cool.

• Like 1

A good buffing char is always nice .. but it needs to be good which isn't the avarage take of GW on Sylvaneth sadly. And please not a spellcaster.. I'm already failing (or getting unbound etc) most spells so more spells to fail would just be an insult. a priest or just an automatic buff would be nice.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, The Red King said:

Furthermore we really need UNITS not more heroes that already outnumber our unit choices. 

Well,.. We have a good number of units there is just a missed issue with things that should be built in are generally additions via items or abilities.  Granted I am still expecting bow-revenants cause of the Shadespire warband.

Broken Realms could see some warscroll re-writes too.  Maybe a fixed Ancient.  

Also we are getting new units since Kurnothi are coming and they are Sylvaneth.  So for Broken Realms I would like to see fixes and then the second half of our army at a later date.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:04 AM, Pennydude said:

Exactly.  And even the book in people's hands not Rob from the Honest Wargamer crying into an echo chamber something sucks when a fraction of the book is out.  

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

A good buffing char is always nice .. but it needs to be good which isn't the avarage take of GW on Sylvaneth sadly. And please not a spellcaster.. I'm already failing (or getting unbound etc) most spells so more spells to fail would just be an insult. a priest or just an automatic buff would be nice.

We don't know what changes AoS 3.0 has for casting or a reset regarding casting in general.  I don't want everything to go 3+ Priest casting cause then you cannot dispel it.  GW has shown they aren't good with things like Activation Wars.  Instead lets get back to having spells be 4-7 as a cast and not impossible/immediate to cast/dispel but back to dice rolling with a possible single cast.

Watched a rumor video earlier this week regarding AoS 3.0 changes. If it is correct, bastions are going from battletome specific battalions (like changehost) to core rulebook generic battalions (1 HERO, BATTLELINE, MONSTER) with more “average” buffs, (RR hits/wounds, ect). Mystic will going back to +1 save and there will be a +1/-1 cap on buffs/debuffs.

Also charge reactions are coming back, costing 1 CP with hold (+1 save), Stand and shoot (-1 to hit) and retreat, but only if the charge is declared within 9”.  Also CP are changing to be more like OBR relentless discipline points, generated at the start of the turn and then reset at the end. 

There are supposedly other changes as well, so 3.0 could dramatically change the way armies are composed, and the way they play on the tabletop. The ability to retreat from a charge alone is huge. 

I’m optimistic for the new Hero. In my experience it only takes a few small changes or new abilities to really change the way an army plays. 

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Well,.. We have a good number of units there is just a missed issue with things that should be built in are generally additions via items or abilities.  Granted I am still expecting bow-revenants cause of the Shadespire warband.

Also we are getting new units since Kurnothi are coming and they are Sylvaneth.  So for Broken Realms I would like to see fixes and then the second half of our army at a later date.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Broken Realms fixing anything. So far the updates have been 1-2 warscroll updates, a battallion, and maybe a new minor character. And we know the battallions are likely going away in a 2 months.

Also, in some cases the warscroll changes came with excessively harsh point increases, so it was a net loss. See Dreadscythe Harridans as an example. 

We truly need a full codex rewrite or a massive expansion (Kurnothi) to become relevant again. We are fighting NH, Goblins, and BoC as literally the worst faction in the game. And we are winning that fight lol. 

19 hours ago, Landohammer said:

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Broken Realms fixing anything. So far the updates have been 1-2 warscroll updates, a battallion, and maybe a new minor character. And we know the battallions are likely going away in a 2 months.

Also, in some cases the warscroll changes came with excessively harsh point increases, so it was a net loss. See Dreadscythe Harridans as an example. 

We truly need a full codex rewrite or a massive expansion (Kurnothi) to become relevant again. We are fighting NH, Goblins, and BoC as literally the worst faction in the game. And we are winning that fight lol. 

Oh I wasn't aware it was that significant.  

touche.  Well it's good to have large Sylvaneth and BoC armies here,.. <whistling,....>

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:15 PM, Popisdead said:

Exactly.  And even the book in people's hands not Rob from the Honest Wargamer crying into an echo chamber something sucks when a fraction of the book is out.  

We don't know what changes AoS 3.0 has for casting or a reset regarding casting in general.  I don't want everything to go 3+ Priest casting cause then you cannot dispel it.  GW has shown they aren't good with things like Activation Wars.  Instead lets get back to having spells be 4-7 as a cast and not impossible/immediate to cast/dispel but back to dice rolling with a possible single cast.

Hey I don't mind which mechanism is used but currently I just think my casters aren't really worth their points especially against (an increasing number) of +cast and + dispell mages in varied armies.  Not to mention some races getting 2 cast spellcasters for a nearly similar price. I think priest should be nerved a lot. I seem to recall (I've not played a while tbh and only play sylvaneth so haven't got it completely clear most priest doing 2 (but sometimes even 3) 'spells' which only needed a 3+ or 4+ and couldn't be dispelled some of those effect aren't as strong as some spells but usually one of them is.. and doing d6 wounds or something isn't nothing either.

also: so far I'm not liking the kurhothi style that much and hope I can avoid them and still have a reasonable competative army.

5 hours ago, Craze said:

So, what do we hope for for the new Alarielle Warscroll? :D

Well she's a god so she should be stronger than non gods. And then playable pointswise. I'd say 750 points max, powerfull caster just behind Nagash,  Teclis and that toad and NOT a weaker caster than say some chaos fighter on a dragon or nagash 2nd (3th-4th)  in command or Morathi. And then decent in combat but not neccesarily spectacular. Awesome healing should probably stay but healing just never is very awesome for 1 would models which is a problem (since I can see 'healing' 1 wound models which are gone being a death faction thing). Giving a unit additional wounds (a buffer before models are removed as a form of blessing increased toughness or something would be nice for 1 wound models but might be too much). I think I'd prefer no auto summoning on her since I'd just like her to be powerfull enough to fill 650-750 points on her own, a summoning spell or command ability (a reason to make her general) would be nice.

PS while I'm wishing: I'd just like simpler warscrolls.. I'm just getting annoyed by the walls of text. I understand there is a limit to the number of units they can create with these stats but just give units a single keyword that is in the rule book and has a (limited) effect like we had before (flying, first strike or something) and then 1 unit defining effect which can be strong (to compensate for the loss of other effects). Maybe 2 of these effects on large characters and 3 on the boss of the army. Having a bunch of 1 wound models with 5 different added rules on them just isn't my thing. 

PPS and balance rend and save. max rend 2 and save 3 on anything which is not clearly awesome. Preferably not even rend 2 and save 3 on anything battleline.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

PS while I'm wishing: I'd just like simpler warscrolls.. =

Yeah I support not having a convoluted issue like the end of 7th ed 40k where you had issues upon issues within books that needed books.  I don't like now that to play Hedonites of Slaanesh i pretty much HAVE to own Everychosen for Lurid Haze to have hopes to compete well.  

I have little hope Alarielle will get good.  Having seen that Be'Lakor still only has 3s and 3s disappoints me.  heroes should be 2s.  My long standing gripe is the WS mechanic is too compressed and homogenized pretty much since 6th edition WFB.  

Alarielle should hit on 2s with a re-roll as a mechanic add-on.  Ask any BoC player and they will tell you hitting on 4s feels like hitting on 6s a lot of days.  And right now in CoS with an ambushing Hurricanum appears the only way to make her effective on the table as a combat unit.  

Has anyone watched the AoS List Lab channel?  A guy named Sam who is on the Honest WArgamer podcast sometimes.  He tweeted Sylvaneth have ideas floating around.  I haven't watched the latest video but I was hoping it meant they would have some legs in the new edition in some manner.  

Greetings! I'm a player getting back into the game, I have a SC! Sylvaneth and the Warcry box. My only question would be: Is there a Warcry Sylvaneth thread? I couldn't manage to find it.

Otherwise, what loadout of Kurnoth Hunters is best for a Sylvaneth force?

22 hours ago, Green Tea said:

Greetings! I'm a player getting back into the game, I have a SC! Sylvaneth and the Warcry box. My only question would be: Is there a Warcry Sylvaneth thread? I couldn't manage to find it.

Otherwise, what loadout of Kurnoth Hunters is best for a Sylvaneth force?

The Warcry thread would be under the main page in the Narrative or Other games?  probably not anything specific to Sylvaneth.

I would start small.  Things you can use which will be effective are: whatever you own, An Ancient is good if you haven't built the Treelord yet.  I would build the Treekin as a) Scythes with the expectation to get more.  Or Swords if you are just going to have 3 and don't want to pick more up right away.  Bows would be only if you were focussed on running lots or they got a boost of some sort next edition.

Having a Branchwraith is Handy.  If you slightly convert the Branchwych or even just proxy her people shouldn't mind unless you have two identical and one as one, one as the other.  

I would hold off until the next edition and even then maybe wait a good 6 months.  Just paint what you have and start to get a hold of things.  Unless you need more Battle Line.  I suspect you have 16 Dryads and 5 Tree Revenants.  Those are good for now if you are learning.

• Thanks 1

Here it is, deader than a doornail

I played two games of Warcry with Sylvaneth a few weeks ago. Pointers: take a bit of everything. Tree-Revenants can steal some missions by teleporting, Spites are good cheap units to get your activation count up and give you board control. And if that's all you have, taking as many dryads as possible will work too. 

Good luck, and welcome back to the hobby!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Tea said:

Thanks so much! I've got the treelord not-entirely-put-together in Durthu subassemblies, I should be able to make an Ancient work. And I was thinking the same thing about turning the Wych into a Wraith.

Oops yeah Durthu is 100% solid.  But he's solid now,.. A second Getting Started is probably smart.  One Durthu (do him first) and one Ancient.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arnied3 said:

I can't wait to see what the update brings for us. I'm not sold myself on the new character but want to see the warscroll before i write it off. 

but I know i'll have to get it anyway because I am weak.... 

Well it's uh,. maybe hte only update past a re-write for Alarielle (don't lean into her being that much more playable,..).

I'm going to get the Warsinger Revenant because it's a nice model and I like painting green, brown, and metals.  So it will be fun and if garbage initially could get better in the future.  

• Like 1

I'm definitely getting at least 2 Warsong Revenants myself.  I'm currently painting my second TL, TLA, and Durthu right now so I can get them done before my wife and I start painting Alarielle.  There's hints we may get a new glade too, Enga'La Weald, from the Qulathis the Exile warscroll from Cursed City.

That is, if Cursed City even exists to GW anymore. :)