AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, velocitydog said:

Has anyone tried using Lifewreath on Durthu coupled with Regrowth to help keep him in his upper brackets?  I haven't seen any mention in the earlier posts I've read so I suspect the benefit just isn't good enough to offset other artefacts like the Staff or Ghyrstrike.

I've used Lifewreath in a Lords of the Clan focused list (no Derpthu) and it was a neat trick.  

It's really hard to not take the Staff since that extra cast when paired with Throne of Vines is great.  

Remember that Ghyrstrike is no longer available for matched play games.  That was a huge blow to Derpthu.  About the only way to kinda shore that up is using Crown of Fell Bowers to get the re-rolls to wound.  I can see Durthu having that in a Harvestboon list so on a charge he can be 3+ rr 1s / 3+ rerolling / -2 / 6 and then move out of combat after attacking.

Thanks, I like the Crown idea.  I was unaware Ghyrstrike isn't an option for matched play (I'm really new to the faction and AoS in general).  I did a little looking...so the Malign Portent artefacts are not legal in matched play but the endless spells in Malign Sorcery are?

57 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

Thanks, I like the Crown idea.  I was unaware Ghyrstrike isn't an option for matched play (I'm really new to the faction and AoS in general).  I did a little looking...so the Malign Portent artefacts are not legal in matched play but the endless spells in Malign Sorcery are?

No problem!  You'll want to consult this Designer's Commentary for the General's Handbook 2020 for what is legal in matched play.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/nzMn8tlOdmZ7E7lY.pdf

1 hour ago, Pennydude said:

Remember that Ghyrstrike is no longer available for matched play games.  That was a huge blow to Derpthu.  About the only way to kinda shore that up is using Crown of Fell Bowers to get the re-rolls to wound.  I can see Durthu having that in a Harvestboon list so on a charge he can be 3+ rr 1s / 3+ rerolling / -2 / 6 and then move out of combat after attacking.

In harvestboon you can get some good stacks too.  I think a Durthu can get up to 8 attacks.  That mitigates the issues with his stats being swingy.

Alarielle allows rr hits of 1s?  I think there was a way to get them to rr 1s (ability?)

3 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

In harvestboon you can get some good stacks too.  I think a Durthu can get up to 8 attacks.  That mitigates the issues with his stats being swingy.

Alarielle allows rr hits of 1s?  I think there was a way to get them to rr 1s (ability?)

Durthu can get up to 8 attacks (3 base, +2 near AWW, +1 from Harvestboon artefact, +1 for Harvestboon CA, +1 for Arch-Rev CA) or you can use the Greenwood Gladius instead of the Harvestboon artefact (+2 attack on charge) for 9 attacks but needing 2 CP to pull it off.

Alarielle allows reroll wound rolls of 1 while wholly within 14" of her with her CA.  Unfortunately, we don't get a lot of CP.  

Harvestboon has army wide re-roll 1s to hit but only for units that charge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

Ah, Malign Sorcery (endless spells only).  Got it.  And Derpthu?  Really?  I just got mine painted!😂

Yes, good ol' Derpthu.  His damage falls off immensely after only taking 3 damage (from flat 6 to D6).  He's really inconsistent...  

That being said, I have one painted, another built and primed, and I want a third for the lulzlist.

2 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

Yeah, your not wrong.  Drycha seems like a more reliable beatstick.  

I'll preach Drycha any day of the week.  I especially love her in Gnarlroot since she always gets re-roll 1s to hit for being a wizard.  She's my favorite model and warscroll in the army right now.

3 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

How about a Drycha/Durthu tag team?  Add a wraith, 3 10x Dryads, 1 5x Tree Revenants, 6 Scythe hunters, 6 greatsword hunters and the free folk battalion?

I'd love to see an Arch-Rev in there with 12 Kurnoths.  If it were me, I'd do Drycha, Durthu, B-Wraith, Arch-Rev, 3x5 Spite Revs, 5 Tree-Rev, 6 Scythes, 6 Swords (or 2x3), Outcast battalion, and then either:

5 Tree-Revs (1980 pts)
10 Dryads (2000 pts)
make the Spites 10/5/5 (1960 pts)
Spiteswarm Hive + CP (2000 pts)

Forest Folk is fine but 140pts is a lot for a battalion in this army.

I want to make sure I've got Envoy of the Everqueen right.  You could, for example, teleport a pod of 6 scythe Kurnoth Hunters (say using Dreadwood ) and have an Arch-Revenant on the other side of the board  buff them with Call to Battle because they are always treated as being within 12" of the Revenant due to Envoy, correct?   

1 hour ago, velocitydog said:

I want to make sure I've got Envoy of the Everqueen right.  You could, for example, teleport a pod of 6 scythe Kurnoth Hunters (say using Dreadwood ) and have an Arch-Revenant on the other side of the board  buff them with Call to Battle because they are always treated as being within 12" of the Revenant due to Envoy, correct?   

Yep, that's correct. Kurnoth Hunters and allied Sylvaneth wholly within 12" of them are always in range of Sylvaneth command abilities.

I wondered about that.  So Hunters act as kind of a "hot-spot" for command abilities?  For example, if a unit of Dryads wholly within 12" of a unit of Hunters needed to re-roll a charge, a hero somewhere on the battlefield could burn a CP and the Dryads could make the re-roll since they are in the Envoy "bubble?"  If so that's pretty cool.

37 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

I wondered about that.  So Hunters act as kind of a "hot-spot" for command abilities?  For example, if a unit of Dryads wholly within 12" of a unit of Hunters needed to re-roll a charge, a hero somewhere on the battlefield could burn a CP and the Dryads could make the re-roll since they are in the Envoy "bubble?"  If so that's pretty cool.

Correct, but keep in mind it only works for abilities targeting friendly units WW 12", you can't use a command ability that targets enemies through the Hunters. For example the Winterleaf/Heartwood command abilities won't work as they require you to pick an enemy unit, not a friendly one.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, AronQ_ said:

Hello everyone! I have a question - what is a limit of Awakened Wyldwood? How many we can put it one table? I ask that because my friend say that there no limit, but I whink it is wrong.

As many as you can legally put on the table.

Just now, AronQ_ said:

Legally at start we can put only one. But if we use Metamorphosis spell, so we can put it with no limit?

You start the game with one AW on the table.  After that, you can place however many woods as you can within the restrictions when your abilities/spells go off (Acorn of the Ages, Silent Communion, Verdant Blessing, Metamorphosis).  The most woods I've had on a table was 5 but that was only because I ran out of pieces.