AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey fellow treefolk, Me again. 

I usually run Gnarlroot. But want to try Dreadwood since Gnarlroot can't really hang in the spellcasting "meta". Hows this list look? Can't decide what to do with the last 50pts.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Dreadwood

Leaders
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Paragon of Terror
- Artefact: Jewel of Withering
Drycha Hamadreth (300)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Branchwraith (80)

Battleline
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Scythes
- Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

I also thought about this list..

Leaders
Branchwraith (80)
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
Branchwraith (80)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
- Scythes
- Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Forest Folk (140)

Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Extra Command Point (50)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 140

Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by Grimmlock619

Well then you should consider building around fewer drops. 

And maybe you should change the 3 bows into swords or scythes? 

Been using 3 bows myself and they dont really cut it. If bows you need more.

Oh yeah, and change the Arch revenant for some three revenants, they are awesome objective grabbers. 

Edited by Nixon
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nixon said:

Well then you should consider building around fewer drops. 

And maybe you should change the 3 bows into swords or scythes? 

Been using 3 bows myself and they dont really cut it. If bows you need more.

Oh yeah, and change the Arch revenant for some three revenants, they are awesome objective grabbers. 

I get that, the lowest Sylvaneth can get is 3 drop. The reason I didn't include tree revs is since dreadwood already allow teleport with a cp, I didnt see it completely nessasary. 

I totally agree with bow hunters. One day I'll run like 18 just for fun. Here's a 5 drop list I even thought of using. 

Leaders
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Drycha Hamadreth (300)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
- Scythes
- Greatswords

Battalions
Forest Folk (140)

Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 130

I figure I can teleport the Sword/Scythes hunters in the back field with the Arch Rev for rr1s to hit. Even if I don't, I can still give them an extra attack. I know this army needs a lot of work and some warscroll tweaks but I used to only run like 6 hunters total. Now I have more and will hopefully have a bit more teeth.  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, Shuratt said:

Hi everyone!

First post in the glorious Sylvaneth den:

Is it possibile to make a Kurnoth heavy list?

How viable can it be?

From a quick look something under Winterleaf with lots of Greatswords must be brutal to face

I've played them a lot, and the list would be more than viable as they are the powerhouses of Sylvaneth currently,  along with Drycha & Tree-revenants.

My Advice would be  going with Wintercourt

Drycha

20 Dryads

2x5 Tree-Revenants

3-4x Kurnoth Greatswords

Which leaves you with ~600-800 points to slot in what you like, Arch revenant and Branchwraith can be nice additions one will buff Kurnoths and the other will summon more bodies so you can hold your objectives easier

I played only a handful of games of AoS this year (due to lockdown, job change and many other things), but here's a short battle report for the game I played with my firend.

Both armies went just a bit over 1000 points and we decided to use one of the Meeting Engagement scenarios and ME rules for deployment and terrain/objective placement, since we played on a smaller board (but in all other aspects, it was a standard game). I was playing Gnarlroot list. My main plan was to try to use support spells (like Regrowth and Verdurous Harmony) to keep my main hitting units (Kurnoth Hunters) or my Treelord Acient alive and win by attrition.  Here are the lists:

SYLVANETH - Gnarlroot glade
Branchwych (Deepwod lore: Regrowth)
Branchwraith - general (Deepwood lore: Verdurous Harmony)
Treelord Ancient (Deepwood lore: Regrowth)
2 x Tree-Revenants
Kurnoth Hunters (bows)
Kurnoth Hunters (scythes)
Gladewyrm
Spiteswarm Hive

CITIES OF SIGMAR - HALLOWHEART
Battlemage x 3 (Whitefire Retinue battalion)
Freeguild General on Griffon
Demigryph knights
Freeguild guard
Freeguild Handgunners

I deployed Hunters with bows and Branchwych on the left flank, one unit of Tree-Revenants on the right flank and everything else in the middle.

Hallowheart army goes first: wizards put up some defensive spells on General and then both he and Demigryph knights run forward, while the rest of the army cautiously advances. I use Treelord Ancient to place another Wyldwood on the table and then summon 10 Dryads and Spiteswarm hive. My army moves forward just a bit, trying to stay mostly outside of enemy charge ranges. Kurnoth Hunters with bows shoot at the General and put 6 wounds on him.

Hallowheart wins the priority for the second turn. General is healed for 3hp, then Wizards place spell that gives enemy units -1 to attack rolls against that unit (Pha's protection). Demigryph knights fail their charge on Dryads, but the General rolls 12 for charge distance and after charging and piling in, he is able to engage my Branchwraith (ouch!). However, this also brings him in combat with my Kurnoth Hunters with scythes and one unit of Tree-Revenants. General on Griffon divides his attacks between the Branchwraith and Kurnoth Hunters: he kills the Branchwraith, but scores only a single wound on Hunters. In return, Kurnoth hunters and Tree-Revenants manage to put just enough wounds on General to kill him, despite having -1 to hit.  In my turn, I heal Kurnoth Hunters and fail to summon Gladewyrm. Treelord Ancient shoots at the Demygryph Knights, but fails to wound. Hunters with bows also shoot at Demigryph knights and score just a single wound. Dryds run forward and Hunters with scythes charge at the Demigryph Knights (with a huge boost from the Hive). I roll poorly and manage to kill only a single knight and put two wounds on another. However, I start leading in victory points.

Hallowheart wins the priority for the third time. Wizards fumble some spells, but they heal the Demigryph Knights and take out one of the Hunters with scythes. Handgunners shoot at Dryads and manage to kill two. Knights attack, kill the second Hunter and leave the last one with only one wound left. In return, that Hunter kills one of the Knights. In my turn, I shoot with Treelord Ancient at the Demigryph knights and kill the last remaining model, and Hunters with bows start thinning out ranks of Handgunners.

I win the priority roll for the last turn (yay, double turn!). Gladewyrm is finally summoned and it heals the last surviving Hunter with scythe. Hunters with bows kill some more Handgunners. Both units of Tree-Revenants "jump" on the other side of the board, but despite their ability to reroll dice, I fail all their charges. Dryads charge Handgunners and wipe them out, while the Hunter with scythe charges one of the Battlemages and kills him. I control my opponent's objective as well at this point. During his turn, my opponent does not manage to clear the Dryads with his Battlemages and Freeguild guard manages to score a single wound on a lonely Hunter with scythe. In return, the Hunter wipes out half of the unit.

Some observations from this game:

• Branchwraith as Gnarlroot general looks like a good combination. Nurtured by Magic ability works great with Regrowth spell and Chalice of Nectar artifact will help you greatly with summoning Dryads and casting Verdurous Harmony. However, my Branchwraith was the first casualty of the game, so I was not able to test this theory :D
  • Kurnoth Hunters with scythes were probably my best unit. They had a key role in taking out General on a Griffon, they killed two of the Demigyph Knights, one Battlemage and half unit of Freeguild guard. Regrowth or any healing ability helps a lot, because it keeps them on the table much longer. 
  • Hunters with bows were also very good - they were basically artillery, always dealing some damage from far away. 
  • Hallowheart can be very powerful, especially if they have access to lots of Endless spells. However, my opponent could do some things very differently and he made several bad choices during the game. For example, he could put much more defensive spells or buffs on his General, making him very hard to deal with.
  • Battalions should be used carefully in 1000 point games or smaller - they eat a huge chunk of available points and may not be worth the price.
  • Like 2

Hello,

I am building a sylvaneth army around the concept of the battalions. Recently I completed my household, forest folk and outcast battalions. I want to build a free spirits battalion but I am not sure how to build the last 2 hunter units.  So far I have a Durthu and 1 unit of 6 scythes.  If you were going to add the last 2 units do you make them bows or great swords?

I dont plan on owning more than just the 3 units. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

On 12/25/2020 at 8:08 AM, Lavieth said:

I want to build a free spirits battalion but I am not sure how to build the last 2 hunter units.  So far I have a Durthu and 1 unit of 6 scythes.  If you were going to add the last 2 units do you make them bows or great swords?

I would build one of each because variety is more fun to paint and more fun to play with.  Also while scythes at the moment seem to be smiled upon more than swords the difference is not large and that can change and my army will still be how i built it.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:08 AM, Lavieth said:

Hello,

I am building a sylvaneth army around the concept of the battalions. Recently I completed my household, forest folk and outcast battalions. I want to build a free spirits battalion but I am not sure how to build the last 2 hunter units.  So far I have a Durthu and 1 unit of 6 scythes.  If you were going to add the last 2 units do you make them bows or great swords?

Thanks for your thoughts. 

The primary reason people like to bring 6 scythes in a single unit is that the 2" range of scythes allows every model to attack fully. If you run swords, I'd run them as 3. For bows, as has been said above, they aren't accurate or damaging enough to really be a threat to anything unless you run 6 or more (in multiple units), but having 3 to threaten lone heroes and snipe chaff away isn't a bad idea, especially if you are running Alarielle and can summon them onto the field as extra bodies.

• Like 1

Hey folks, first post in this sub. 

Only dipped my toe into Sylvaneth thus far and finally decided to do something about that second Branchwych I had lying around. 

Think this would pass as a Branchwraith?

IMG_20210103_182150122.jpg

IMG_20210103_182223703_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210103_182205810_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210103_182216475.jpg

Edited by Cmidrfti
  • Like 6

It is needed need something with the branwych to play her as branwraith? Im starting to get some silvaneth to play as living city and in a long future maybe silvaneth and i tougth get some start collecting and only tell that all my branwychs are branwraith with 0 conversion.

I know that if i play one as wych and other as wraith is confuse,but if all are wraith i guess there arent a problem.

I never gonna buy finecast

On 1/3/2021 at 12:31 PM, Cmidrfti said:

Hey folks, first post in this sub. 

Only dipped my toe into Sylvaneth thus far and finally decided to do something about that second Branchwych I had lying around. 

Think this would pass as a Branchwraith?

IMG_20210103_182150122.jpg

IMG_20210103_182223703_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210103_182205810_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210103_182216475.jpg

I would 100% allow that. Looks badass.

Hi all! 

I got a lot of Sylvaneth for Christmas and I’d like some advice on what to build them as and how to build off it. 

i have 

1 x Start Collecting

1 x Drycha

1 x branchwych

1 x Arch Revenant

2 x Kurnoth Hunters

4 x Tree Revenants/Spites

I like the idea of going for a kurnoth/tree Revenants and spite heavy if possible. What would you advise I build everything optional as? 

On 1/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, SirSalabean said:

Hi all! 

I got a lot of Sylvaneth for Christmas and I’d like some advice on what to build them as and how to build off it. 

i have 

1 x Start Collecting

1 x Drycha

1 x branchwych

1 x Arch Revenant

2 x Kurnoth Hunters

4 x Tree Revenants/Spites

I like the idea of going for a kurnoth/tree Revenants and spite heavy if possible. What would you advise I build everything optional as? 

Sylvaneth is in a tough spot right now, speaking as someone who finished 2k of Sylvaneth in 2020.   A rules refresh is most likely going to happen this year.   

Do you have a certain list in mind?  I’d say the only surefire advice regardless of list is Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes or Swords.  And depending on you list either TLA or Spirit of Durthu.  I have two 5 man squads of Tree Revenants, but they only exist to snipe objects or be a teleporting screen.  They do almost no damage and die to a stiff breeze.  My suggestion would be to hold off on building your revenant kits until new rules come out.  The models are fantastic and I enjoyed painting up my Sylvaneth,, but they are in a rough spot on the table right now 

43 minutes ago, Rhetoric said:

Sylvaneth is in a tough spot right now, speaking as someone who finished 2k of Sylvaneth in 2020.   A rules refresh is most likely going to happen this year.   

Do you have a certain list in mind?  I’d say the only surefire advice regardless of list is Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes or Swords.  And depending on you list either TLA or Spirit of Durthu.  I have two 5 man squads of Tree Revenants, but they only exist to snipe objects or be a teleporting screen.  They do almost no damage and die to a stiff breeze.  My suggestion would be to hold off on building your revenant kits until new rules come out.  The models are fantastic and I enjoyed painting up my Sylvaneth,, but they are in a rough spot on the table right now 

Hi thank you for responding!

Thats interesting I have 9 kurnoth so should I do them all scythes or swords or a mix? 

min terms of a list I have no clue really, I just want to do something that isn’t dryad heavy as I prefer Revenants, I’ve got a few kits of Revenants etc mainly though my army is a painting project and I just want to make sure I’m not building load outs that are useless. If it’s in the air right now I might make some of each Revenant and angels whatever tree lord is cooler. Just a question on the kurnoths left really. Are bows not useful?

2 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

Hi thank you for responding!

Thats interesting I have 9 kurnoth so should I do them all scythes or swords or a mix? 

min terms of a list I have no clue really, I just want to do something that isn’t dryad heavy as I prefer Revenants, I’ve got a few kits of Revenants etc mainly though my army is a painting project and I just want to make sure I’m not building load outs that are useless. If it’s in the air right now I might make some of each Revenant and angels whatever tree lord is cooler. Just a question on the kurnoths left really. Are bows not useful?

Bow Kurnoths are fine but they are more niche.  You really need to have multiple units of them to be effective.  If I were in your shoes, here's how I'd build what you have.

SC Treelord kit as a Treelord Ancient.  Cannot go wrong with a TLA due to high durability as a caster plus the free Wyldwoods once per game.

Kurnoth kits as either 6 Scythes and 3 Swords OR 3 Scythes, 3 Swords, and 3 Bows.  Only reason I say this is so that you can try them out and the models look awesome.  I personally own 21 Kurnoths and the most I have of any one kind is 9 Bows.  

Revenant kits: I'd build 15 Spite-Revenants and 5 Tree-Revenants.  Having 15 Spites gives you access to the Outcast battalion which for a total of 280pts covers your 3 battleline units, reduces your drops, and grants an extra artefact and CP.   It's always good to have Tree-Revs around because they force your opponent to always think about them being around when moving.

Build your Dryads, Branchwych, Arch-Revenant, and Drycha as is.

One thing I might recommend if you want to save money is to buy a separate box of Dryads and kit-bash them into Tree-Revenants using the leftover bits from your Spite-Rev sprues.  This is something I've considered doing.  If you need more Kurnoths and revenants (hint: everyone does), look at the Warcry boxset for Sylvaneth.  Those have a unit of Kurnoths and a unit of Revenants at a discount.

1 hour ago, Pennydude said:

Bow Kurnoths are fine but they are more niche.  You really need to have multiple units of them to be effective.  If I were in your shoes, here's how I'd build what you have.

SC Treelord kit as a Treelord Ancient.  Cannot go wrong with a TLA due to high durability as a caster plus the free Wyldwoods once per game.

Kurnoth kits as either 6 Scythes and 3 Swords OR 3 Scythes, 3 Swords, and 3 Bows.  Only reason I say this is so that you can try them out and the models look awesome.  I personally own 21 Kurnoths and the most I have of any one kind is 9 Bows.  

Revenant kits: I'd build 15 Spite-Revenants and 5 Tree-Revenants.  Having 15 Spites gives you access to the Outcast battalion which for a total of 280pts covers your 3 battleline units, reduces your drops, and grants an extra artefact and CP.   It's always good to have Tree-Revs around because they force your opponent to always think about them being around when moving.

Build your Dryads, Branchwych, Arch-Revenant, and Drycha as is.

One thing I might recommend if you want to save money is to buy a separate box of Dryads and kit-bash them into Tree-Revenants using the leftover bits from your Spite-Rev sprues.  This is something I've considered doing.  If you need more Kurnoths and revenants (hint: everyone does), look at the Warcry boxset for Sylvaneth.  Those have a unit of Kurnoths and a unit of Revenants at a discount.

Thank you so much this is incredibly helpful! I’ve found the warcry box for £35 so I plan to get a couple or so more at some point, not sure if they are limited or not?

the dryad/Revenant idea is amazing too thank you. 

52 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Thank you so much this is incredibly helpful! I’ve found the warcry box for £35 so I plan to get a couple or so more at some point, not sure if they are limited or not?

the dryad/Revenant idea is amazing too thank you. 

If you can get more of the Warcry boxes, I'd recommend it.

I haven't tried doing the Dryad/TreeRev kitbash but my thought is that if you build 15 Spite Revs, you still have all the bits for that amount of Tree-Revs.  It'd save you A LOT of money by just getting a Dryad box, turn 15 of them into Tree-Revs, and then bash the remaining Dryad into a Branchwraith.

Oh, and get at least one or two boxes of Dryads to actually build as Dryads.  You'll want them to use for battleline, access to Forest Folk battalion, and Branchwraith summoning.

1 minute ago, Pennydude said:

If you can get more of the Warcry boxes, I'd recommend it.

I haven't tried doing the Dryad/TreeRev kitbash but my thought is that if you build 15 Spite Revs, you still have all the bits for that amount of Tree-Revs.  It'd save you A LOT of money by just getting a Dryad box, turn 15 of them into Tree-Revs, and then bash the remaining Dryad into a Branchwraith.

Oh, and get at least one or two boxes of Dryads to actually build as Dryads.  You'll want them to use for battleline, access to Forest Folk battalion, and Branchwraith summoning.

How many boxes would you recommend, I have two right now, not including equivalent from looncurse and another set of Revenants. 

is it worth getting more start collecting then for the dryads? Then I can make more tree lords and kitbash the branch wych into wraiths maybe

Just now, SirSalabean said:

How many boxes would you recommend, I have two right now, not including equivalent from looncurse and another set of Revenants. 

is it worth getting more start collecting then for the dryads? Then I can make more tree lords and kitbash the branch wych into wraiths maybe

I think it's wise to get 3 Start Collecting kits in total so you can have one of each Treelord variant.  That gives you 48 Dryads, all 3 Treelord builds, 1 Branchwych, and enough parts to bash 2 Branchwraith if you wish.  The SC boxes are definitely a good deal at least from my viewpoint living in the USA.  That should be plenty to start with.  Hell, even 2 SC boxes is fine and just build a TLA and Durthu, build the 32 Dryads, and bash a Wraith.

Personally, I own 80 Dryads (5 sets of 16) because you can summon 10 at a time with Branchwraith, and a 30 block of Dryads is hard to move when in and/or near a Wyldwood.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

a second SC is certainly worth it, having a TLA and a Durthu is good. The 3th is not a misbuy either, if you want to complete your treemen but.. not really for playing sicne regular TL aren't played that often.. though having more dryads is something you'll need eventually.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

a second SC is certainly worth it, having a TLA and a Durthu is good. The 3th is not a misbuy either, if you want to complete your treemen but.. not really for playing sicne regular TL aren't played that often.. though having more dryads is something you'll need eventually.

Totally agree. I've end up collecting quite a few SC boxes so that my army is somewhat future proof. I've got plenty of dryads, enough TLAs and Treelords and a couple of Durthus for whatever Broken Realms and the 3.0 book gives us.