AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The simplest changes for me would be - 

Increase in Wounds for Treelords/Ancients/Durthu/Alarielle. I'd be bold here - lots of wounds but intense deterioration. The faction should encourage and facilitate healing.

Alarielle should lose the summon and become more about enhancing the units around here. I wouldn't mean an FNP bubble. Maybe she has throne of vines automatically if she didn't move in the previous phase?

2 cast TLA.

These may require points change - so be it.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, Kyriakin said:

Anyone know the size of the new Treebeard?

Remove the hobbits, and he's a cool model...

I’m totally getting one to use as a Treelord Ancient.

I’m also gonna use the new Treeman from Bood Bowl as an Arch-Rev stand in. Akhorne the Squirrel is making the ultimate sacrifice!

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, Kyriakin said:

Anyone know the size of the new Treebeard?

Remove the hobbits, and he's a cool model...

Totally!!  They did a great job on him.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, Aezeal said:

So how about Wanderers joining Sylvaneth in the next book? Happening or not? Maybe a bit more distance from Sigmars crumbling alliance?

Well there will be Kurnothi which are Sylvaneth and Wade Price has already confirmed on channel they will be AoS WE.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, Pennydude said:

I’m also gonna use the new Treeman from Bood Bowl as an Arch-Rev stand in. Akhorne the Squirrel is making the ultimate sacrifice!

haha nice.  I love the BB model range.  It's amazing.  The FW models are really good too.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Well there will be Kurnothi which are Sylvaneth and Wade Price has already confirmed on channel they will be AoS WE.

I've had this odd feeling about Wanderers since the rules for Misthavn dropped.  It's not that you can't take Wanderers, you can, it's that they don't count towards units set up in the "Underhand Tactics" Allegiance ability.  It feels like the first hint of a change coming, but whether that's Wanderers turning away from CoS and towards Sylvaneth, or a gradual disappearance, I'm not sure.  Here's hoping for the former or the status quo.  

20 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I've had this odd feeling about Wanderers since the rules for Misthavn dropped.  It's not that you can't take Wanderers, you can, it's that they don't count towards units set up in the "Underhand Tactics" Allegiance ability.  It feels like the first hint of a change coming, but whether that's Wanderers turning away from CoS and towards Sylvaneth, or a gradual disappearance, I'm not sure.  Here's hoping for the former or the status quo.  

I actually wonder about disappearance of Wanderers as well once Kurnothi show up.  Still bitter about Wardancers being gone so holding onto my little ball of bitter even though I try to spend so much time positive and happy to be moving forward. 

33 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I actually wonder about disappearance of Wanderers as well once Kurnothi show up.  Still bitter about Wardancers being gone so holding onto my little ball of bitter even though I try to spend so much time positive and happy to be moving forward. 

It's ironic for me as Wanderers was my first expansion in AOS from Dark Elves and O&G, followed by some High Elves.  Ah well, all good things come to an end.  They'll still be useable in CoS for a few more years.  I suppose a couple of units, like SotT and SotW, may move to Kurnothi, but I'm not holding my breath.  At least Dark Elves seem to be secure, and O&G have a future in Gitz and Warclans, so lots to be grateful for. Always best to look on the positive. 

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

It's ironic for me as Wanderers was my first expansion in AOS from Dark Elves and O&G, followed by some High Elves.  Ah well, all good things come to an end.  They'll still be useable in CoS for a few more years.  I suppose a couple of units, like SotT and SotW, may move to Kurnothi, but I'm not holding my breath.  At least Dark Elves seem to be secure, and O&G have a future in Gitz and Warclans, so lots to be grateful for. Always best to look on the positive. 

I saw a bat rep were a guy took his old 5th ed WFB HE models, used them as Lumineth and custom built a Teclis.  I plan to convert my Wanderers to KUrnothi with Ungors when they come out.  Shrugs,.. all good, you can find a way :)

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:03 PM, Popisdead said:

When did he say this and I what context? Really hoping for Kurnothi. Love the idea of using the BB tree an and Treebeard too they are cracking models. 

7 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I can't see them discontinuing the Eternal Guard and Wild Riders kit. They are pretty modern-looking kits. Also, on the former, many people like disciplined, cloaked elves, and half-naked ferral elves don't neccessarily scratch the same itch (kinda like, say, Witch Elves vs. Black Guard, or whatever).

Getting rid of the old faithful Glade Guard kit was harsh, but - despte it being an iconic box - you could see the age and having 16-per-box was awkward. They do prove that being white-boxed doesn't mean you are safe, though (see also: Start Collecting Greenskins, Spire of Dawn, etc.).

Finally, CoS (especially Living City) is super popular. Discontinuing a load of models (and therefore warscrolls) would cause a huge ruckus.

In general, if it is plastic, has a sprue that contains the correct number of models and holds up by modern aesthetic standards, it should never be squatted IMHO. Having the logistically accomodate a few more kits is never worse than the initial fallout of those customers the squatting hits and the spooking of those who were not hit (yet). At worse, make them webstore-only.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1

Hy guys,

Sorry for my English (I'm French).

I share Kyriakin's opinion on the Wanderers. GW dropped a kit with City of Sigmar, which allowed them to keep that kit on their sales. But I think they are also shaping the future of each of the "factions".

So I have the feeling to see real Wanderes alongside new Kurnothi models (like Khaine's daughter a Snake and Aelves, it will be the same in my humble opinion) with Kurnoth himself for the leads (demi-Aelves half-fauna).

But the only one chose to do is find out to see it!

Bye
Edited by gregoire.fevre.52@gmail.co
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, silverstu said:

When did he say this and I what context? Really hoping for Kurnothi. Love the idea of using the BB tree an and Treebeard too they are cracking models. 

It was pre covid.  So ,... who knows,....

21 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I can't see them discontinuing the Eternal Guard and Wild Riders kit. They are pretty modern-looking kits. Also, on the former, many people like disciplined, cloaked elves, and half-naked ferral elves don't neccessarily scratch the same itch (kinda like, say, Witch Elves vs. Black Guard, or whatever).

Getting rid of the old faithful Glade Guard kit was harsh, but - despte it being an iconic box - you could see the age and having 16-per-box was awkward. They do prove that being white-boxed doesn't mean you are safe, though (see also: Start Collecting Greenskins, Spire of Dawn, etc.).

Finally, CoS (especially Living City) is super popular. Discontinuing a load of models (and therefore warscrolls) would cause a huge ruckus.

In general, if it is plastic, has a sprue that contains the correct number of models and holds up by modern aesthetic standards, it should never be squatted IMHO. Having the logistically accomodate a few more kits is never worse than the initial fallout of those customers the squatting hits and the spooking of those who were not hit (yet). At worse, make them webstore-only.

They dropped other kits almost as new.  Don't think anything is sacred.  I'm annoyed the flying eagle kit wasn't re-written.  I think the thing keeping the WR kit is the Sisters of the Thorn are unique.  On the whole we aren't seeing Cavalry added to the game but removed.  

The 16-man kit is funny cause of Dryads.  Pretty sure they just wanted modern Aelf Archers and it makes more sense for GW to drop the GG.  

In the end I think it comes down to global supply and the size of the range and what does well as new kits.  What shows it's age, what doesn't, does something fill a gap.  Sure we can argue about kits staying but,.. it isn't our call.  I'm still a bit surprised people were taken back that Glade Gaurd were  put into Legends.  it seemed obvious.  Rules that didn't work well, old kit, odd numbers, they easily sold it's worth.

I do agree CoS is super popular but it has the most warscrolls/kits in the game for a single battle tome.  I don't expect it to have as many next book iteration.  

If kurnothi kill Wanderer sales,,.. well.   

Hey all
If anyone remembers me, yeah, I'm looking into getting back into AoS.
I was wondering if the Sylvaneth Warcry box is worth it? Even for AoS, if it's priced like the other boxes that's crazy savings. Revs and Hunters are quite expensive, you're essentially getting one of those units for free. Heck, it would even give you a discount on Hunters alone.

Edited by AthelLoren

1 hour ago, AthelLoren said:

Hey all
If anyone remembers me, yeah, I'm looking into getting back into AoS.
I was wondering if the Sylvaneth Warcry box is worth it? Even for AoS, if it's priced like the other boxes that's crazy savings. Revs and Hunters are quite expensive, you're essentially getting one of those units for free. Heck, it would even give you a discount on Hunters alone.

The box will be 75 USD and will save you 30 bucks over buying separately.  If someone is just starting the army, getting one of these and a Start Collecting box would be the way to go, in my opinion.

• Thanks 2

On 12/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, Popisdead said:

ooooh thanks.

Warcry box is £62 worth of models for £45. Not bad but always thought Sprites were waaaaay overpriced. Not a great deal of plastic for almost a start collecting set. Sure you get tokens and cards, but... might bite from a discount seller tho.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 10:15 AM, Mcthew said:

Warcry box is £62 worth of models for £45. Not bad but always thought Sprites were waaaaay overpriced. Not a great deal of plastic for almost a start collecting set. Sure you get tokens and cards, but... might bite from a discount seller tho.

I fully agree.  It's $90 CAD which means $35 off the Spite Revs.  It is a shame we still have the artifacting of stupid pricing from the Kirby days.  

Since my local FLGS allows some use of their tables, provided everyone wears masks, I'm off to try out the following:

Heartwood glade

General Branchwraith

2x5 T-Revs

2x3 bow Hunters

2x3 sword Hunters

My opponent is on an unknown IJ list.

We'll be playing Shifting Objective on a 6x4 table for a change of pace, our usual 1k games have the battleplans modified to fit on a 4x4.

If I have the time when I get home, I'll try to put together a blow-by-blow.

@Popisdead The Heartwood artefact did more than the A-Rev, since it gives rerolls to all hit rolls wholly within 12", not just ones. The list came out to an even 1000 points, so swapping an A-Rev in would've reworked much of what I wanted to try.

The game went better than expected, called in the top of the third round. I chose to go first; my opponent just moved and ran in the first turn. He won the roll, chose to take the double, just to deal some damage to me before I start shooting again, and I got the double going into the third round.

Called it after my turn, he had a Weirdnob Shaman and two units of Brutes on the table, while I had lost one unit of sword Hunters and a total of six models from two summoned units of Dryads.

I don't really know how I'd update the list for bigger games, maybe 30 Dryads and two A-Rev or 20 Dryads and a TLA at 1500 points.

It was an interesting experiment, and by far the most coherent Sylvaneth list I've played in a long time, even if it was "going full potato." We're trying to match schedules to have a 2v2 game, where I'm planning on playing a Winterleaf 3x30 Dryads, A-Rev and Branchwraith 1k list.

• Like 1

I just wanted to poke this thread and see if anyone has a different opinion on this now. Auto running 6" seems very weak for 140 pt battalion, and I believe it would say make your run roll a 6, not alter the characteristic. There are abilities that say increase the move characteristic by X and those are not runs. I've been playing it as giving them an 11" movement but cannot run. It's strong, but taking the battalion ends up 1010+ pts, it fits within reason. Especially considering Sylvaneth isn't exactly top tier. Combine with winterleaf it gets pretty narly, but without it there's no solid Sylvaneth response to a shooting army. Kharadron will table you 8/10 times, this battalion gives you a fighting chance to charge a gun line. Against anything else you're better off dropping Durthu and the battalion for 2 arch revenants and some scythes IMO.