AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Kramig said:

what about blocking sight with woods? I know that's not always possible, but I would put wood as close as possibile to shooters, in order to block line of sight and teleport to kill them

Yea, about all you can do is use the TLA woods to block line of sight and then try to cast Verdant Blessing and get another one down without it being unbound.  Easier said than done.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:42 PM, Aezeal said:

Could you delete some units yourself by alpha striking?

6 hours ago, Kramig said:

what about blocking sight with woods? I know that's not always possible, but I would put wood as close as possibile to shooters, in order to block line of sight and teleport to kill them

In my first game I sent a Hunter block in with the Dreadwood teleport to delete a unit of Stormvermin, but the rolls were pretty bad and they ended up dieing soon after failing to kill the unit.  

Game Two I really used my trees to block LoS.  But some poor casting meant I was only able to get the one TLA free tree out.  All other attempts failed.  

7 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

In my first game I sent a Hunter block in with the Dreadwood teleport to delete a unit of Stormvermin, but the rolls were pretty bad and they ended up dieing soon after failing to kill the unit.  

Game Two I really used my trees to block LoS.  But some poor casting meant I was only able to get the one TLA free tree out.  All other attempts failed.  

Since I am unlucky too, I use vesperal gem for casting. I would also suggest to teleport kurnoth together with a hero, so that they can use a command point for reroll charge 

However I really hate stormfiends, so I can understand your situation 

4 hours ago, Kramig said:

Since I am unlucky too, I use vesperal gem for casting. I would also suggest to teleport kurnoth together with a hero, so that they can use a command point for reroll charge 

Sadly you can't use Vesperal Gem for casting Verdant Blessing, it's not technically part of the lore. :/ 

But you can always reroll charges for a CP with the Kurnoth Hunters because they are always in range of command abilities because of their Envoys of the Everqueen ability. So as long as a hero is alive somewhere in the battlefield, that hero can make them reroll the charge.

I'm taking this list to an RTT in a couple of weeks and I really want to try Alarielle. It's what I have. I would consider trading Drycha for some more Hunters and a command point. 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Gnarlroot

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Treelord Ancient (260)
- General
- Command Trait: Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (300)

Battleline
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Greatswords

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

The plan is to have Alarielle stay back and screened for 3 turns firing Metamorphosis through the portal. By turn 3, it should be at +6 dice. Then I'll throw her into combat where I know she will do well in. I'll probably summon 20 dryads for bodies on an objective. Drycha will snipe some heros and hit some horde units hard. And the TLA will back the unit of Kurnoth bringing 1 back every turn.  I definitely feel that this list has some teeth. Thoughts?

Edited by Grimmlock619

On 10/3/2020 at 4:51 AM, Grimmlock619 said:

Thoughts?

I think it is really light on bodies. Depending on what you face, it will not be possible to keep Alarielle screened for 3 turns, against heavy shooting, she dies Turn 1 (if you deploy her to the board, reserves is key).

Overall I guess it is sad but true that Alarielle is not an overly competitive choice in an army that is not overly competitve positioned right now. :D

Edited by Craze
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Craze said:

I think it is really light on bodies. Depending on what you face, it will not be possible to keep Alarielle screened for 3 turns, against heavy shooting, she dies Turn 1 (if you deploy her to the board, reserves is key).

Overall I guess it is sad but true that Alarielle is not an overly competitive choice in an army that is not overly competitve positioned right now. :D

For sure. This isn't the list I usually run, but I just built the model so I said, why the ef not. Lol

I totally agree on the bodies comment, thats why I hope 20 dryads can help with that. And definitely, I just wish she had some staying power. If I did change something about the list that I own, it would be Drycha for another unit of Hunters, but with bows sadly since I didn't magnetize my unit, and an Arch Rev to give them rr1s to hit and give the Sword unit extra attacks. I'd have 40 pts left over so I could either get a nice endless spell like Swords or Palisade for some LoS blocking or go for a triumph. It would look like this: 

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (260)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Arch-Revenant (100)

Battleline
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
- Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Umbral Spellportal (70)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 98

On 9/29/2020 at 5:52 PM, Pennydude said:

Yea, about all you can do is use the TLA woods to block line of sight and then try to cast Verdant Blessing and get another one down without it being unbound.  Easier said than done.

' If a spell is cast, the opposing player can choose one of their Wizards that is within 30" of the caster to attempt to unbind the spell before its effects are applied. To unbind a spell, roll 2D6. If the roll beats the roll used to cast the spell, then the spell is not successfully cast. Only one attempt can be made to unbind a spell.'

Maybe I'm missing something.. but where is LoS involved in unbinding?

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

' If a spell is cast, the opposing player can choose one of their Wizards that is within 30" of the caster to attempt to unbind the spell before its effects are applied. To unbind a spell, roll 2D6. If the roll beats the roll used to cast the spell, then the spell is not successfully cast. Only one attempt can be made to unbind a spell.'

Maybe I'm missing something.. but where is LoS involved in unbinding?

LoS isn’t needed for unbinding and looking back, I can see why my words could be interpreted as such.

I would not rely on any magic anymore unless you use The Vesperal Gem thanks to Teclis.

3 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

LoS isn’t needed for unbinding and looking back, I can see why my words could be interpreted as such.

I would not rely on any magic anymore unless you use The Vesperal Gem thanks to Teclis.

Yeah, magic is unreliable as hell without bonus to cast and that removes forest and their mobility as a reliable strategy for Sylvaneth IMHO. Sadly without mobility Sylvaneth just isn't up to par.

Summoning forests as a low roll prayer or as abilities might help a bit in that department. Also I think all units except melee hunters need to be about 10% cheaper.  Another wound or attack on the Tree revenants would be nice too (another attack would keep their roll similar - glass cannon - but more viable and another wound would make them more durable still only average in combat but not glass cannon anymore.

The Gem is nice but Gnarlroot should just give a straight +2 to cast to TLA's and +1 to other casters. Insta return of magic trees (they'd be more viable as opposed to other builds of our army... still don't think this alone would make a gnarlroot build viable overall).

On 10/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, Grimmlock619 said:

I'm taking this list to an RTT in a couple of weeks and I really want to try Alarielle. It's what I have. I would consider trading Drycha for some more Hunters and a command point. 

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (260)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Drycha Hamadreth (300)

Battleline
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
- Greatswords

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 88

The plan is to have Alarielle stay back and screened for 3 turns firing Metamorphosis through the portal. By turn 3, it should be at +6 dice. Then I'll throw her into combat where I know she will do well in. I'll probably summon 20 dryads for bodies on an objective. Drycha will snipe some heros and hit some horde units hard. And the TLA will back the unit of Kurnoth bringing 1 back every turn.  I definitely feel that this list has some teeth. Thoughts?

This list is a lot better as a Dreadwood list, without the spellportal and with an Arch-Revenant and either swapping the TLA for Durthu, going with the Skrullroot or even Hive endless spells and getting an extra command point, and swapping your 6 sword Kurnoth for scythes. You are basically concentrating all your striking power into a few models, so you want to maximize the number of dudes you can get into your opponent turn 1.

If you are going maximum bully, you get a woods out forward, teleport Durthu up in there freely, teleport Drycha into the same woods, Command Point teleport your Kurnoth into position on a flank, fly Alarielle up 16", and then go for an all-or-nothing multi-charge with half your army into their lines. Send Alarielle into a mass of infantry, pop her command ability or the Arch-Rev's ability, and mow down as much of your opponents as you possibly can. For even more bully, have Alarielle summon some sword kurnoth with her Soul Alphorae and send them in too. Hell, if you are feeling saucy, you can even bring the Spite-Revenants out of the woods too and let them plow in to help Drycha bully even harder.

All the tactical complexity of a direct meteor impact, and all of the damage unless the dice hate you.

59 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah, magic is unreliable as hell without bonus to cast and that removes forest and their mobility as a reliable strategy for Sylvaneth IMHO. Sadly without mobility Sylvaneth just isn't up to par.

Summoning forests as a low roll prayer or as abilities might help a bit in that department. Also I think all units except melee hunters need to be about 10% cheaper.  Another wound or attack on the Tree revenants would be nice too (another attack would keep their roll similar - glass cannon - but more viable and another wound would make them more durable still only average in combat but not glass cannon anymore.

The Gem is nice but Gnarlroot should just give a straight +2 to cast to TLA's and +1 to other casters. Insta return of magic trees (they'd be more viable as opposed to other builds of our army... still don't think this alone would make a gnarlroot build viable overall).

If you are banking on having lots of woods, you should probably bring a TLA or a caster with an Acorn of the Ages. You are right about it being unreliable to cast, though if you are bringing Big Al you can usually punch it through after you cast Throne of Vines - and she can also try and turn people into trees as well.

Hey there fellow sylvaneth players. Due to some IRL hinderances i took a break from the hobby for about a year now. I got myself a bunch of Sylvaneth back when the new tome released and was wondering what the best thing to get next would be.

In total i have built the following models:
-1 Spirit of Durthu
-1 Treelord Ancient
-3 Drycha
-1 Arch Revenant
-1 Branchwych
-1 kitbashed Branchwraith
-3 Kurnoth Hunters
-10 Spite revenants
- 36 dryads

If there are any "go to lists" i'd be interested in those and as well as what the best Artefacts/Traits and also which glades work best. In general im a bit lost on how to play a Sylvaneth army is played properly. Any help/pointers  are appreciated. 

Edited by IRifter

On 10/7/2020 at 10:52 AM, vesco said:

Hello guys,

I've been out from this game for the last 2 years, and now i'm kinda back with a 1k points game.
I do remember to have all Sylvaneth units, could anyone point me to a 1000 points list please ?thank you :)

Winterleaf, Drycha, a unit of T revs and a unit of 20 dryads and then hunters would be a decent list from the top of my head.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I'm not sure where this is updated (my guess GHB2020, which I don't have * lockedown) but who can Sylvaneth ally with now?  

Was Wanderers removed?  If they were not removed can they ally in CoS Wanderers?

Thanks,

Stormcast, Idoneth Deepkin, and Wanderers are your ally choices. 

Hi All

New to AOS and could do with some rules clarification in regards to setting up Wyldwoods before and during the game.

The "Faction Terrain" section on page74 GBH2020 states we must adhere to different restrictions (1" from Objectives & 3" from Terrain) to the restrictions in the Sylvaneth Battletome.

There doesn't seem to be any FAQ or Errata that clarifies this, so i was hoping you guys could enlighten me as to how i have to exactly place my woods.

Thanks!

On 8/12/2020 at 11:49 AM, Aeryenn said:

In GHB2020 I read that faction terrain must be set up more than 3" from any other terrain and more than 1" from any objectives. Does this overwrite the rules of setting up Awakened Wyldwoods at the start of the game from Sylvaneth's latest battletome?

Guys im curious about that.. what we have to do? We follow our battletome or GHB2020?