AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

12 minutes ago, Grimmlock619 said:

That IS dirty.. I like it. That list looks fun also! My only worry would be not getting another Wyldwood on the floor do give Durthu more Umph! further down the field.  Unless you take an Acorn. 

Yea, Acorn of the Ages was definitely on my mind.  The idea would be to deploy the initial Wyldwood as far up the field as I can and then use an Acorn/Verdant Blessing to make a launchpad.

In that particular game, Durthu was surrounded by Ogors and up against a piece of terrain.  He charged me with several units and stomped his big unit of Ironguts.  Durthu survived the one attack, got to activate and attack back, and then did his 6" move up and over the terrain piece to separate him from everyone else.  On my next turn, I then moved and charged his lone hero on a back objective (GHB 2019 Scorched Earth), killed the hero, and burned the objective.  Probably the trickiest thing I've done to date.

If I were to incorporate a TLA, I'd move to 3x3 Kurnoths and 20/10/10 Dryads.

Edited by Pennydude

On 8/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, Pennydude said:

If I were to incorporate a TLA...

Am I the only one thinking that we need a TLA or the acorn in our list?  Too often I find myself being unable to cast a 2nd forest turn one or my spell being dispelled.  I'm going on my first tournament and I'm bringing what I think is a competitive way of playing Sylvaneth.  Comments?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Gnarlroot
LEADERS
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact : Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact : Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines
UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Greatswords
9 x Kurnoth Hunters (570)
- Scythes
BATTALIONS
Outcasts (100)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Balewind Vortex (40)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 137
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 2/3 ALLIES: 0/400

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Karthasis said:

Am I the only one thinking that we need a TLA or the acorn in our list?  Too often I find myself being unable to cast a 2nd forest turn one or my spell being dispelled.  I'm going on my first tournament and I'm bringing what I think is a competitive way of playing Sylvaneth.  Comments?

- Glade: Gnarlroot
LEADERS
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact : Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact : Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines
UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Greatswords
9 x Kurnoth Hunters (570)
- Scythes
BATTALIONS
Outcasts (100)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Balewind Vortex (40)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 137
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 2/3 ALLIES: 0/400

It looks like you're trying to do the Branchwych bomb and I would reconsider it. Drop the Branchwych and balewind and go with an Arch-Rev to support those 9 sexy Kurnoth's you have w/ rr1s and an extra attack. Put the Spiritsong Stave on the Branchwraith with Throne of Vines so you can get those dryads in or get that Spite Swarm off turn one. Make the TLA your General with the Chalice with Verdous Harmony so you can put him behind the unit of Kurnoth's not being supported by the Arch-Rev.

If you decide to bring this list I'll be super curious on your thoughts on how it felt, pros/cons, etc.!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Predien said:

It looks like you're trying to do the Branchwych bomb and I would reconsider it. Drop the Branchwych and balewind and go with an Arch-Rev to support those 9 sexy Kurnoth's you have w/ rr1s and an extra attack. Put the Spiritsong Stave on the Branchwraith with Throne of Vines so you can get those dryads in or get that Spite Swarm off turn one. Make the TLA your General with the Chalice with Verdous Harmony so you can put him behind the unit of Kurnoth's not being supported by the Arch-Rev.

If you decide to bring this list I'll be super curious on your thoughts on how it felt, pros/cons, etc.!

Yes indeed trying to make it work.  Since in Gnarlroot, my kurnoth will probably reroll 1 with qa wizard in 12'' (aka my TLA), I thought to discard the Arch-revenant.  You think I should switch the combo "Spiritsong Staff / Throne" with the Chalice on the Branchwraith?  Maybe it's a good idea.  And put the Chalice on TLA who will be up front making him in better position to unbind at 3d6.  

6 minutes ago, Karthasis said:

Yes indeed trying to make it work.  Since in Gnarlroot, my kurnoth will probably reroll 1 with qa wizard in 12'' (aka my TLA), I thought to discard the Arch-revenant.  You think I should switch the combo "Spiritsong Staff / Throne" with the Chalice on the Branchwraith?  Maybe it's a good idea.  And put the Chalice on TLA who will be up front making him in better position to unbind at 3d6.  

Remember that the Arch Rev brings the +1 to attacks that can be given to any of your units (prioritizing your Kurnoths of course). The Branchwych is a model that could really use a Warscroll rework and outside of the branchwych bomb I don't see it being that good. If you run into any Seraphon they are going to shut that down real quick.

You could also consider putting the Chalice on the Branchwraith instead of Spiritsong + ToT and then the Vesperal Gem on the TLA so that you can't be unbound getting Verdous Harmony off. Rolling 3d6  for spells on your Brachwraith means you'll have a pretty damn good chance on summoning dryads or getting Spite Swarm cast whenever you want (minus going up against Tzeentch, Seraphon, LRL). Also, it'll be harder to move those 9 kurnoths off the table if you're bringing one back every hero phase. Just be careful you don't get that TLA sniped.

Overall I think your list is good. Try and get some reps in with a friend before your tournament and try some stuff out!

Building up to 2k for casual and some competitive play at my local scene after some hiatus from the hobby. Looking for some feedback on the list.

After a few 1k games and reading through this sub and got a decently good idea were the army is and feel like I should give it a go for 2k.

With my 1k games (mostly against seraphon) I initially used winterleaf with drycha. And honestly it was just not doing the damage i thought it would,  Not terrible, just not enough to push the balance. The Slan also made getting wildwoods down a major issue, So I changed my tact to utilising dreadwood and durthu for better mobility around the board ... WOW, wish I did that sooner. With out reliable teleportation we just cannot do anything.

Having the ability to move a screen/tarpit, eat up one flank, grab that objective even for a turn...etc; changed everything. Our games feel stressful now, as it's always so close, it's great. 

Choosing to run a less magic dependant army, just can't compete with what's out there. So TLA for woods and stomp. And wraith for mid-late game summons.

Want to try life wreath on durthu to give some staying power for himself and kurnoths around him. However, am unsure if crown of fell bowers will just be a better choice for an offensive push.

Not really a fan of free spirits but it means  a 6 drop from 10. Game plan is similar to what the 1k games and adopt a choose the fight, get rid of that weak side snd Score those unkept objectives.

am also playing around with a harvestboon and trying to make heartwood work... (Though why do many redundant buffs in that glade). EDIT: think I'll pass on heartwood.

Would really appreciate the feedback, 

- Glade: Dreadwood

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (260)
- General
- Command Trait: Paragon of Terror
- Artefact: Jewel of Withering
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Lifewreath

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
30 x Dryads (270)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Swords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Swords

Battalions
Free Spirits (140)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 129

Edited by Splint

Hi all, 

I need some quick help with a 500 pt first army. I already know what I want for 2000 pts and dont want to buy too many redundant or "i wont use this" models. Ultimate aim is a force of tree revs and spite revs, squads of hunters, a wraith or 2, TLA, Hammdreth, maybe swap in a arch-rev from time to time, with some of the endless spells and enough dryads to summon them in multiple squads of 10. So my initial 500pts should draw from that pool. Notably, I dont see me taking a regular TL or a wych at any point in the future. Unfortunately, that means the starter box is... not all that helpful? Thoughts?

1 hour ago, albionsangel said:

Hi all, 

I need some quick help with a 500 pt first army.

If I made 500 point I'd go something like:

General: wraith - 80p

Unit: hunters sword/scythe - 190p

Battleline: 5x tree rev - 80p and 10x spites - 120p

For 470 points.

Gives a summoner of dryads, a beat stick with hunters, a unit to capture objectives and another unit for objectives/damage.

Alternatively im tempted to put dryads instead of spites.

For artefacts I'd either use the stave for extra spell/throne of vines. Or acorn just to ensure you have 2 woods out so you can move around.

Drycha might be tempting but she is pretty fragile and will be focused down ... All of a sudden your 300 points down. Same goes for durthu, but imo he has more going for him in survivability and utility.

Dreadwood/winterleaf are probably your go to glades but the others would work pretty well in this bracket.

Starter box includes all tree variants, do you can make TLA with it. I'm converting my wych to a wraith. And if you need dryads too the SC is a really good option. I got 2, for TLA and durthu.

Edited by Splint

3 hours ago, States said:

Anyone run Drycha in their lists? How is the list?

I made a pretty thorough rundown of my typical Gnarlroot list on The Honest Wargamer: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/the-trees-are-buzzing/

This would be my default list that I'd take to just about everywhere.  Is it the best list we have?  Probably not.  To me, it's consistent at everything.  It is light on bodies and I fully acknowledge that.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, Aeryenn said:

How do you beat Kharadron Overlords?

Do I have to choose only 1 spell from the Lore for Alarielle or 3 as she can cast 3 spells?

You need to either play Objectives with lots of bodies against KO, or Alpha them with Kurnoth Hunters. They're one of the only armies in the game that can't stop any of our magic, so we can plant trees everywhere and teleport around; but unfortunately most of their units are flying, so trees can't block LOS against them.

Alarielle can only choose one spell, so she knows the tree summoning spell, her chosen spell, her warscroll spell; and the two universal spells (Plus the realm spell from GHB 2020 if you play in a realm)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

@Sleepa

What's the best way yo alpha? Wyldwood with TLA and then summon?

You can use Woods with the TLA or the spell, or you can teleport with Dreadwood (Dreadwood is the most reliable, but magic works against KO so you have options)
You'll want to buff their charge distance with the Spiteswarm Hive Endless spell.

1 minute ago, Sleepa said:

You can use Woods with the TLA or the spell, or you can teleport with Dreadwood (Dreadwood is the most reliable, but magic works against KO so you have options)
You'll want to buff their charge distance with the Spiteswarm Hive Endless spell.

Yup, i chose the spiteswarm hive in my list. Defenitely will help. Still like Winterleaf more.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, Karthasis said:

Am I the only one thinking that we need a TLA or the acorn in our list?  Too often I find myself being unable to cast a 2nd forest turn one or my spell being dispelled.  I'm going on my first tournament and I'm bringing what I think is a competitive way of playing Sylvaneth

I always find exactly that problem. Indeed it's one of the reasons I dislike sylvaneth.

Every list I build needs 3 things- reliable wood (acorn or TLA) reliable charge (hive or warsinger), reliable casting (to summon hive, dryads or more woods)

It is very hard for me to get all 3 of those things in to the point where i feel like I have to work so hard to just actually play the sylvaneth game, and a lot of it comes down to needing to reliably get a 2nd wood down and reliable casting for a 3rd.

Ultimately, I usually go with the TLA... He's terrible at most things, but at least does that well. I can't take acorn because I also always feel like I need some item as a casting boost to be able to reliably summon either dryad, summon spite swarm hive or summon a 3rd woods, so. Ant afford the acorn. Maybe I should experiment with 2 battalions.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The World Tree said:

Wyldwoods? Starting in reserve?

Wyldwoods don't do anything against the Sentinels because they don't need line of sight to lob those 19 shots at you.  

4 hours ago, Apeldoorn said:

My Durthu got shot turn one by 18 lumineth sentinels yesterday. Any tips fighting such a heavy shooting, heavy magic and high mobility army?

Probably put stuff in reserve to avoid the shots.  Could go gladeless and make Durthu your general with Warsinger.  Maybe add Cogs to make the charges more reliable?  If they have Teclis, Cogs aren't going down but if not, you can set one up with a ToV spellcaster.

Hey all!

So as part of my living city CoS I've been starting to get some sylvaneth (inc Alarielle because she's cool) to sort of give me a toolbox of extra units I can use and summon and realised that I basically may as well get the book and field them as a sylvaneth army. I have put together a quick 1k point list including some of the stuff I have / would like to get that I'm hoping should be workable as it contains a bit of range, two heroes and a fair chunk of bodies that hopefully will do me well in low points games. I haven't decided on traits / artefacts / subfaction as I have only just got the book really and haven't been able to sit through and decide which would work best for what I want to achieve. Any C&C would be welcome.

Listy.pdf