AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

55 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

I will give the link directly, but again, the list composition os likely unimportant. what’s important is that you likely had it in the hands of somebody who knew what he/she was  doing with it:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/06/aos-list-of-the-week-sylvaneth-harvesting-victory.html

Thanks!

I just wanted to see it for inspiration. ;)

Personally I do not like these extreme Hunter spam lists, but I am a fan of Durthu + Crown of Fell Bowers.

Still haven't gotten a Sylvaneth game in with all this going on, and going for my first game this weekend. Asking for some opinions on this list and what glades to go:

Allegiance: Order
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
Spirit of Durthu (300)
Branchwych (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (380)
- Scythes
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Outcasts (100)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

I have the option of taking out the 1 Branchwych + 1CP for 10 Dryads. Should I?

I also don't know what glade to go, I was thinking of maybe Winterleaf with Durthu General + frozen kernal, spirit stave on the branchwraith + throne of vines, and alarielle/branchwych with regrowth/verduous harmony.

Would gnarlroot be better or dreadwood with this list? 

Wondering what you guys think!

On 7/30/2020 at 8:30 PM, Pennydude said:

Yes, they need to form a circle but do the best you can on the tips.  Something I'm planning on doing is filling in the undersides of the bases with green stuff to give them some weight.  Hopefully it would help keep them in place better.

I filled mines with cement, the weigh is perfect!

On 8/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, Sleepa said:

There is no currently competitive list using Alarielle. If you could conceive one, I'm sure we'd all love to see what it looks like!

well,. I won't belabour the obvious point below but  I will agree Alarilelle for her points costs sure makes you scratch your head as you look at other big models.  I just don't think things are always so black and white.  I doubt many of us play in the same meta as others.  She could dominate your local meta.  

On 8/10/2020 at 2:22 AM, Mirage8112 said:

I will give the link directly, but again, the list composition os likely unimportant. what’s important is that you likely had it in the hands of somebody who knew what he/she was  doing with it:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/06/aos-list-of-the-week-sylvaneth-harvesting-victory.html

I used a similar list (had Ghyrstrike) before lockdown, played terribly and rolled my opponent hard.  I would say that was a fluke but I saw the list had some real merit.  

I love harvest boon.  I think with 30/10/10 dryads and forest folk it gets you the start of what a lot of armies would want and it costs the same as 3x 5 Spites, 30 Dryads and Outcast for that CP and magic item.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, pakana said:

Hey, first post here and before my list I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread! Been a long read but very educational for a new player like me. 

I currently have only the SC box and Sylvaneth half of the Looncurse, and I've been trying to come up with list(s) that I could work towards from the minis I have. This first ones explores the less popular Oakenbrow glade and Lords of the Clan batallion, both providing buffs to our big guys. 

Oakenlords 1.0

Allegiance: Sylvaneth - Mortal Realm: Ghyran - Glade: Oakenbrow

LEADERS
Arch-Revenant (100)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Treelord Ancient (260) - General - Command Trait : Regal Old-growth - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Treelord Ancient (260) - Artefact : Dawnflask - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwraith (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony

UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190) - Greatswords

BEHEMOTHS
Treelord (180)
Treelord (180)

BATTALIONS
Lords of the Clan (60)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS Gladewyrm (30)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 123

The theorycrafting behind this is to have three forests on the table (one backfield and two in offensive positions), and two "battlegroups" of AR+TLA+TL+3xKH with the tree revs to capture and dryads to hold objectives, with Branchwraith starting in the backfield with summoning duties and possibly moving in to support the offence in later turns. I feel like this list has some hopefully viable synergies in the "battlegroups", doesn't rely too heavily on magic and isn't lean too heavily on a single unit like Alarielle. 

The main buff from Oakenbrow is improving the bracketing of the big trees, and the batallion bonus is D3 mortal wounds on all units within 6" that goes off on a 2.

Now as I've never played AoS, please roast my idea! :D

Hey guys, I'm still looking for insight on this list :) I'm still way far from a 2K list in terms of minis, so any help chposing the next purchases would be appreciated!

On 7/27/2020 at 6:25 AM, pakana said:

The theorycrafting behind this is to have three forests on the table (one backfield and two in offensive positions), and two "battlegroups" of AR+TLA+TL+3xKH with the tree revs to capture and dryads to hold objectives, with Branchwraith starting in the backfield with summoning duties and possibly moving in to support the offence in later turns. I feel like this list has some hopefully viable synergies in the "battlegroups", doesn't rely too heavily on magic and isn't lean too heavily on a single unit like Alarielle. 

The main buff from Oakenbrow is improving the bracketing of the big trees, and the batallion bonus is D3 mortal wounds on all units within 6" that goes off on a 2.

Not super experienced with playing Oakenbrow, but i'm gonna try to give some opinions. While I like the ideia of having 2 groups with the same configuration in theory, I not a big fan of the configuration you are sugesting. The ancient and the regular treelord are used mostly used has support pieces (for the extra woods + high wound wizard and the stomp) and the arch revenant is more or less the same (helping kurnoth and giveing extra attack to a big unit). While the 3 swords kurnoth unit is good, it doesnt need that much suport to work. Not the biggest fan of Lords of the clans in Oakenbrow, but that aside, I would sugest some changes in your list:

-Dropping the second arch and the second treelord. The second arch revenant with just 2 units of 3 kurnoths is a little to expensive just to make sure both units of kurnoths have the reroll hits effect. The treelord is arguably one of the worst units we have, and the "extra wounds" the glade give them don't make them much better. 

-Put Durthu in. Of the 3 Treelord variets Durthu seens to be the one that use the glade effect the  best, giving him a little more time in a high damage profile. I would even sugest two of them in Oakenbrown would be better than 2 Ancients if you want to better the bonus the glade give you.  

To make both changes you would need to drop the gladewyrm too (cool spell, but a little unreliable with no bonus to cast), which would end like this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Oakenbrow

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Dawnflask
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Treelord Ancient (260)
- General
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Arch-Revenant (100)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
20 x Dryads (200)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Scythes

Behemoths
Treelord (180)

Battalions
Lords of the Clan (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

All that said, If its the first time you gonna play the army, I would sugest you to try some of the more popular glades first. Sylvaneth isnt the most forgiving army to play, depending against what you are playing having some more powerful bonus can be helpful util you get used to the army playstyle.

hey all, can I get some feedback on this list?  Gnarlroot, no Alarielle!

260 TLA 

-General

-Chalice of Nectar

-Regrowth

300 Spirit of Durthu

80 Branchwraith

Spiritsong Stave

Verduous Harmony

80 Branchwraith

Throne of Vines

270 Dryads (30)

80 Tree Revs (5)

80 Tree Revs (5)

190 Kurnoth Hunters (3) Scythes

140 Free Spirits Battalion

50 Spiteswarm Hive

30 Gladewyrm

40 Balewind Vortex

7 hours ago, Nixon said:

@Rhetoric

Why Gnarlroot and why Gladewyrm? 

Apart from that it looks solid. 

I like Gnarlroot because of the free RR1’s and free D3 Heal in the Hero Phase.  I also really like the doing things in the Hero Phase.  My main army is IDK and I really only get to play in the Charge and Combat Phase.  Gladewyrm is just there for extra healing.  

6 hours ago, Craze said:

And why 3x3 Scythe Hunters? Wouldn't Sword Hunters be much better in 3 man squads?

I generally like Scythes over Swords to begin with.  The 2” reach is hard to give up.   Also the three units is to meet the Battalion requirements for Free Spirits

On 8/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, Rhetoric said:

Hallo zusammen, kann ich Feedback zu dieser Liste bekommen? Gnarlroot, keine Alarielle!

260 TLA 

-Allgemeines

-Chalice von Nektar

-Wachstum

300 Geist von Durthu

80 Zweiggeist

Spiritsong Stab

Verderous Harmony

80 Zweiggeist

Thron der Reben

270 Dryaden (30)

80 Baumumdrehungen (5)

80 Baumumdrehungen (5)

190 Kurnoth-Jäger (3) Sensen

140 Bataillon der freien Geister

50 Spiteswarm Hive

30 Gladewyrm

40 Balewind Vortex

Switch the spells on the Spiritsong staff. 

The wraith with Spiritsong staff is strong to cast woods, dryads, or endlessspells. 

I would pick 6 scythes and 3 swords on kurnoths. The scythes are strong to hit over the screen of dryads.

Also they can take some wounds and still stay strong for output.

-gladewyrm and - 10 Dryads to put another 10 dryads for objektive gaming.

Edited by bigmoerk
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:18 AM, Nixon said:

I totally agree with @bigmoerk

I personally would go for Harrwood glade as it has a stronger re-roll mechanic. 

I see, that does make sense to switch the spells.  I only have 1500 points of this army done and got two games in on Saturday.  Both against a Skryre build of Skaven.  Magic was really underwhelming.  Maybe looking into different Glades is a good idea.  It’s kind of wild there’s no bonus to spell casting in Gnarlroot.  

• Like 1

Gnarlroot is nice in a friendly game. But Sylvaneth will never be really strong in the magic phase. 

Making your Kurnoth Hunters better is probably the best choice. 

But try some different stuff and see how it works out for you and let us know how it goes. 

Hey guys,

I’ll soonly have my first games in sylvaneth 1K points. 

I can t chose between 2 lists (with winterleaf option on each) 

1st one :

Durthu - 300

- warsinger

arch-rev - 100

branchwraith - 80

- relic : acorn ages 

- spell harmony 

6 kurnoth with swords - 380

5 spite - 60

5 tree rev - 80

1000 - 62 HP

2nd one

TLA - 260

- cmd trait warsinger

- relic vesperal gem 

- spell : harmony

arch-rev - 100

branchwraith - 80

- spell : regrowth 

6 kurnoth with swords -380

10 dryad - 100

5 tree rev - 80

1000 - 67 HP

fighting against kroak sotek or full saurus / ScE evocators sequitors / Nighthaunt

waiting your advices on this

On 7/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, pakana said:

Hey, first post here and before my list I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread! Been a long read but very educational for a new player like me. 

I currently have only the SC box and Sylvaneth half of the Looncurse, and I've been trying to come up with list(s) that I could work towards from the minis I have. This first ones explores the less popular Oakenbrow glade and Lords of the Clan batallion, both providing buffs to our big guys. 

Oakenlords 1.0

Allegiance: Sylvaneth - Mortal Realm: Ghyran - Glade: Oakenbrow

LEADERS
Arch-Revenant (100)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Treelord Ancient (260) - General - Command Trait : Regal Old-growth - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Treelord Ancient (260) - Artefact : Dawnflask - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwraith (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony

UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

BEHEMOTHS
Treelord (180)
Treelord (180)

BATTALIONS
Lords of the Clan (60)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS Gladewyrm (30)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 123

Im sorry to say that you will get crushed playing that list.

Treelords are just not good, the dmg output on a unbracketed treelord is on average 4dmg on a unit with 4+ save. 

The 2 TLA is the biggest drawback since you cant summon 2 wyldwoods with them, the warscroll ability is once per battle NOT once per unit per battle

Therefor the buff on TL, TLA and Durthu from oakenbrow is just not enough 

Ive tried a LotC list a few times and never have i gotten to use the 2+ d3 dmg, it looks nice but TL(A) just die when they get in combat, especially if u get dubble turned 

Hope this helped

Hey all, long time collector and player of the wargrove. 

Has anyone had any success with a non-glade army? I'm working on this army and it seems pretty fun.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Warsinger
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius
Treelord Ancient (260)
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190)
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
- Greatbows

Battalions
Free Spirits (140)
Outcasts (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Starting the game with 4 Command Points though I might change the extra CP for another spell, maybe Lifeswarm. 5 drop so there is actually a good chance to get first turn. I like the auto run for the Hunters and Durthu incase I need to run out of combat and there isn't a wyldwood near. Durthu and Hunters are getting into fights with a +5 to charge and near a wyldwood Durthu will have 7 attacks with his Guardian Sword, rr1s to hit with All Out Attack, swinging over a pack of Hunters. TLA is gonna help keep Durthu and some Hunters alive with auto heals but I still cant decide if I want to switch it with Verdurous Harmony. Spites will help screen TLA and the Branchwraith. Dryads for a tanky objective holder. I like using Bows for some long range harassment. 

Sounds fun. Thoughts?

I think that list has some good teeth. I’ve been wanting to try a gladeless build for a while now, just haven’t done it yet.

About the only thing I would like to test different would be to try an Arch-Revenant over either both the Command Point and Spiteswarm Hive or go to 20 Dryads and drop the command point.  I know it may be blasphemous but with a lot of armies having extremely potent magic, I’d want to not rely on the Hive getting on the board.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

I think that list has some good teeth. I’ve been wanting to try a gladeless build for a while now, just haven’t done it yet.

About the only thing I would like to test different would be to try an Arch-Revenant over either both the Command Point and Spiteswarm Hive or go to 20 Dryads and drop the command point.  I know it may be blasphemous but with a lot of armies having extremely potent magic, I’d want to not rely on the Hive getting on the board.

Yeah, its risky. Thats why I'm hoping at 5 drops, I could stand a chance to get first turn. As long as I don't run into Seraphon with boardwide unbinds, I (hopefully) should be ok. I do like the idea of an Arch-Rev. Thanks!

Edited by Grimmlock619

27 minutes ago, Grimmlock619 said:

Yeah, its risky. Thats why I'm hoping at 5 drops, I could stand a chance to get first turn. As long as I don't run into Seraphon with boardwide unbinds, I (hopefully) should be ok. I do like the idea of an Arch-Rev. Thanks!

Your low drop list reminded me of a 3-drop list I want to try at some point.  There's almost no magic but am totally okay with it.  Unsure on all the artefacts right now but I have plenty of time to figure that out.

Harvestboon Glade

Spirit of Durthu (General, 300)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)

30 Dryads (270)
10 Dryads (100)
10 Dryads (100)

6 Kurnoth Hunters w/Scythes (380)
3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Swords (190, could be swapped to Bows)
3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Swords (190, could be swapped to Bows)

Free Spirit battalion (140)
Forest Folk battalion (140)

1990/2000pts, 132 wounds

I'm aware that the Arch-Rev's aura can be duplicative on the charge but other than that, it's still a good hero.  I'd probably try giving Durthu the Etherblossom because once he's in combat, he can do his 6" free move out of combat over enemy models and even terrain.  Did that in a friendly game and it was DIRTY.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

Did that in a friendly game and it was DIRTY.

That IS dirty.. I like it. That list looks fun also! My only worry would be not getting another Wyldwood on the floor to give Durthu more Umph! further down the field.  Unless you take an Acorn. 

Edited by Grimmlock619
  • Like 1